Just an idea about upcoming 4x4 vehicle (supposed Defender successor). 

I hope there's is a chance that it could be 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser. It is newly released with old school based design, it is an iconic vehicle. Plus...it has two design options for front which could be easily implemented with LEGO as a cool feature. 

2024_toyota_land_cruiser_t.jpg

Edited by Oh_Hi_Mao

I wonder if the rumored "18+ water vehicle" is a Jet Ski. LEGO are already working with Kawasaki for the soon-to-be-released Ninja bike so a Kawasaki Jet Ski in Technic could absolutely be a thing.

42175 Volvo truck and electric excavator 2274 pieces 200 USD.

According to the piece count and relatively low price for TWO machines I'm awaiting something in the scale of 42112.

How about a curve ball and the new red/orange that’s been used on the space sets?

3 hours ago, KLF said:

According to the piece count and relatively low price for TWO machines I'm awaiting something in the scale of 42112.

Yeah the truck is most likely 15 or 17 studs wide with common 49.5mm tires

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

Nah but according to your calculations you are right that the parts count isn't that high, so these are two mid-sized models in one package and the 49.9 tires are the most likely joice here (or offroad tires on the same rims, which does not affect the scale). Given the parts count the truck can't be wider than 17 studs on 49.9 tires

Edited by Timorzelorzworz

I'm still thinking that the EC230 is gonna be the same scale as the EW160E. I'm guessing it has the larger part count of the two, given that it's the more complex machine.

42 minutes ago, Maaboo the Witch said:

I'm still thinking that the EC230 is gonna be the same scale as the EW160E. I'm guessing it has the larger part count of the two, given that it's the more complex machine.

Excavators of comparable scale have around 1000 parts (8043 - 1127 parts, 42006 - 720 parts), same about trucks (42112 - 1161 parts, 42024 - 948 parts).

15 minutes ago, Repkovsky said:

Excavators of comparable scale have around 1000 parts (8043 - 1127 parts, 42006 - 720 parts), same about trucks (42112 - 1161 parts, 42024 - 948 parts).

True. The EW160E is also more complex than a standard excavator because of its material-handling loadout and features such as the elevating cab and clamshell. A lot also depends on whether or not the EC230 is pneumatic.

Returned from vacation and finally able to enter the discussion: What a brickload of cars :-/

As far as we know, only 1 (42175), maybe 2 or 3 (42174 and missing 42183) are NOT cars... 

I always try to defend Lego, but without at least one non-car flagship, this is gonna be a very sad technic year for guys interested in other stuff than steering, two doors and fake engine.... 

P.S.: @Ngoc Nguyen Maybe you can update the initial post in this thread according to the current infos? :-)

If lego do a new 4x4 it must be better than the already excellant 42110.

like, working paddle shifters, engine, at least 6 speed gearbox, adjustable ride height, locking diffs, etc etc.

9 hours ago, Repkovsky said:

Remember though, 8043 and 42006 were from a different design era in Technic history. Nowadays the builds have more pieces dedicated to aesthetics

9 hours ago, SNIPE said:

If lego do a new 4x4 it must be better than the already excellant 42110.

like, working paddle shifters, engine, at least 6 speed gearbox, adjustable ride height, locking diffs, etc etc.

It will be interesting to see though if the new gearbox parts make it more reliable than the Defender :)

18 minutes ago, kbalage said:

It will be interesting to see though if the new gearbox parts make it more reliable than the Defender :)

Or just put motors in it from the get-go...

16 hours ago, Jundis said:

P.S.: @Ngoc Nguyen Maybe you can update the initial post in this thread according to the current infos? :-)

First post has been updated.

On 2/3/2024 at 7:14 AM, Oh_Hi_Mao said:

I hope there's is a chance that it could be 2024 Toyota Land Cruiser. It is newly released with old school based design, it is an iconic vehicle.

I believe that this does have a chance of happening, because of the reasons you mention! I would dig this one in dark tan color, though I'm afraid they would reuse the fenders pieces of the Defender, which are way too much out of proportion.

15 hours ago, SNIPE said:

like, working paddle shifters, engine, at least 6 speed gearbox

I really hope that would not happen. Why would an off-roader need paddle shifters and more gears? The Defender was overcomplicated enough in terms of gearbox.

adjustable ride height, locking diffs, etc etc.

Those sound good on the other hand. The real car has IFS and 4-link live axle rear suspension, locking central diff when low gear is engaged, and also rear diff lock. Those actually sound quite doable at this scale. Another interesting feature it has is disconnectable front stabilizer bars. That could also be nice to see implemented!

On 2/2/2024 at 11:37 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

When it comes to a 4x4 to me nothing beats your Jeep Wrangler.

Thanks a lot, glad you like it, even though we concluded that there's room for improvement in the suspension. So hopefully you'll like my next Jeep Wrangler coming out soon on a smaller scale ;)

3 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

I really hope that would not happen. Why would an off-roader need paddle shifters and more gears? The Defender was overcomplicated enough in terms of gearbox.

Those sound good on the other hand. The real car has IFS and 4-link live axle rear suspension, locking central diff when low gear is engaged, and also rear diff lock. Those actually sound quite doable at this scale. Another interesting feature it has is disconnectable front stabilizer bars. That could also be nice to see implemented!

Because of realism, even the land rover has 7 speeds and can have paddle shifters as an optional extra.

Yes  but we have low friction gears, stronger diffs and CV joints now, as well as better  gearbox parts and more alternating hole beams. So it should be possible to make a smaller, simpler setup.

Also if LEGO never tried to be ambitious, then we would have very boring sets and no new parts, but LEGO is capable of it so why not do it (even if it means making a new part)

Edited by SNIPE

1 hour ago, Divitis said:

I am afraid the problem with anti roll bars and Lego is that they work by bending themselves. So unless a specific piece comes out that is designed for torsion, I don't think a regular part will ever be put under such stress in an official set.

Indeed, that is probably true.

23 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Because of realism, even the land rover has 7 speeds and can have paddle shifters as an optional extra.

Sure, but lego models are lacking realism in so many areas that can be improved, I just don't see this as a key feature for an off-roader.

23 minutes ago, SNIPE said:

Yes  but we have low friction gears, stronger diffs and CV joints now, as well as better  gearbox parts and more alternating hole beams. So it should be possible to make a smaller, simpler setup.

That's true, and I'm sure they will do it in the next supercar.

On 2/2/2024 at 12:31 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

If there's no C+ flagship, could it be the case that TLG has finally run out of ideas for C+ flagships? Perhaps we can see a return to the regular type of flagships with just motors, like 42082.

It can also be the case that the lineup this year is crowded already, so realizing a C+ flagship every two year wouldn't hurt anyone.

It can also be the case that the next flagship requires 2 year of development and is gonna cost 700 bucks.

I don’t think it’s unusual for even (supercar 1:8) years, 2022’s flagship wasn’t a Control+ set either, only 2020’s was. I would expect 2025 to have 2 Control+ flagships though. I personally don’t like the up trend on the flagship price but i hope with the liebherr being a slow seller they’ll price the next one lower.

Edited by Danke

16 minutes ago, Danke said:

2022’s flagship wasn’t a Control+ set

If I'm not mistaken, the Liebherr crane was supposed to be 2022's flagship but was delayed to 2023.

Begone, offtopic-talk! Back to 2024 line-up:

In a german youtube discussion of the models there is a comment saying the following (roughly translated via deepl):

"The Volvo [42175] is a truck with a low loader and on it is the excavator with pneumatics... the Porsche [42176] is remote controlled and has a battery with a USB C connection. No, that's not a joke! And the lunar rover [42182] is really the one from the moon back then and is really relatively large. But it doesn't have an engine..."

Edited by Jundis