MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2023 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

1 hour ago, Duke27 said:

What's wrong with Fox? Did Lego fixed him? He seems better now

It is identical to what we have been looking at for weeks.

Other note, Palpy is fire, easy fix on his hair piece cuz that one they gave him aint it.

Dooku hair piece will look great on that I think.

I really like that Padme minifig! Hopefully I can find her for a reasonable price at some point.

1 hour ago, TeddytheSpoon said:

Is this the first time we've had the version of the gunship with completely sealed doors and no bubble turrets as well? I think so, right?

7676 had fully closing doors and no bubble turrets. That set was more accurate than this one as the doors split into the two sections like they're supposed to- this new set has the doors as single sections. 

1 hour ago, Duke27 said:

What's wrong with Fox? Did Lego fixed him? He seems better now

No changes. He still has inaccurate white patches on his chest and knees (which should be red, not white) as well as the printed kama and the issue that white print on a red background usually ends up looking pink since they cheap out with how much print they apply (some Fox figures have already leaked from the factory, confirming that this is indeed an issue). The white line on the top of his helmet is also too narrow. 

He would also have greatly benefitted from dual-moulded legs (red on top, white on bottom), as would the Shock troopers (white on top, red on bottom). Usually wouldn't expect this in a Star Wars set but in this case it really would make the figures much more accurate (at least it would if they got the printed details right) and it's not like dual-moulding is a new thing at this point- it's been around for the better part of a decade and they regularly do it for CMFs. 

1 minute ago, CallumPears said:

He would also have greatly benefitted from dual-moulded legs (red on top, white on bottom), 

Black on top (for the kama) would've been best.

17 minutes ago, Agent Kallus said:

Black on top (for the kama) would've been best.

Disagree tbh. I've seen a lot of people saying they want dual-moulding for kamas but I honestly think it'd look awful in practice. It still wouldn't capture the shape of the kama (especially with the holes in the backs of the legs) and they'd need to print white on a black background which rarely looks good and there would always be a gap at the top of the groin area where they can't print on the hip piece. 

15 minutes ago, CallumPears said:

Disagree tbh. I've seen a lot of people saying they want dual-moulding for kamas but I honestly think it'd look awful in practice. It still wouldn't capture the shape of the kama (especially with the holes in the backs of the legs) and they'd need to print white on a black background which rarely looks good and there would always be a gap at the top of the groin area where they can't print on the hip piece. 

I only agree with the white on black part. "The legs have holes on the back of them" is going to be bad for anything besides cloth, which for whatever reason lego seems unwilling to do for clones now, and it's significantly worse with printing, since you don't have the sides. As for the gap at the top of the groin area, that seems very minor to me. (But even if it is an issue, we could just have white hips, as the kama is right at the waist.

Gunship isn't doing it for me. I don't really like that it's not a standard one, but being a coruscant one isn't terrible. That said, the design fails to improve significantly on the decade-old one, and I'm not a fan of the figs. I believe for the quality of the build, more than 5 were needed, and especially a pilot.

Final thoughts, it's cooler than I thought from the previous pics. It's still just a tad too small, especially for the price.

Never thought I’d see the day where a Gunship does not make me excited. 

No idea why they made this smaller, personally. 

Plus, it’s a Gunship!! It’s meant to be in battles and that’s where most of the fun will come from. With this set, however, all someone is going to do is transport some senators and that’s it. 

I think it’s completely missed the mark. 

I just realized shock troopers were a perfect opportunity for dual molded legs, as well as Padme too.

I'm starting to get quite annoyed with the Star Wars theme getting skimped on dual molded legs and exclusively locking them behind UCS sets when its incredibly common in nearly every other theme where its appropriate. 

I love the new gunship! Is it perfect? No, but it's still very good and I like the figures though once again they are extremely stingy on how many we're getting. It should have also included 2 pilot clones at minimum.

New Gunship is a mixed bag for me, it's cool to get a Gunship, but it's way too small and out of proportion. Minifigs are mixed as well, cool Chancellor Palpatine, and inaccurate Fox. Shock troopers would be great if not for the stupid helmet holes. Packed is strange inclusion here, face isn't Natalie Portman face , but rather generic one. Why could Lego designer be bother to reprint 2013 gunships  accurate Padme face print here?

Edited by benderisgreat

I adore TCW, but dislike nearly all Palpatine/Padme episodes so I'm not interested in the figures. The setting/color maybe even size is far from perfect, but I'm still missing a gunship in my collection. Really looking forward to see in depth reviews, so I can make up my mind...

According to @Brick Clicker, the 1HY UCS set is going to be a TIE Interceptor :classic: Decent choice, I think. Funny how we haven't seen a non-microscale interceptor in years and now we get two of them in a row in different scales :laugh:

I have to be honest I’m disappointed it’s a Tie Interceptor. Like yeah it’s a justified remake but it should’ve been the UCS set this year for the 40th anniversary and the 2024 UCS Set should’ve been a Naboo Royal Starcruiser or Anakin Podracer.

Lego try to make a cool May 4 UCS set challenge (impossible)

This is seriously disappointing news after the dud that was the X-Wing, and despite it being a good build, the Landspeeder as well.

So I guess we can assume Jabba's Sail Barge will in fact be the big 2HY UCS

I'll wait for in-person shots but the Gunship looks bad imo. I think the minifigures are good barring the lack of a cloth kama for Fox but 140$ isn't worth it, especially compared to the Ghost.

8 minutes ago, Legofan2001 said:

Brickclicker just confirmed that the 2024 May UCS Set is a Tie interceptor.

Nice, kinda surprised it took this long to get a remake of it. 

16 minutes ago, Old Master said:

Lego try to make a cool May 4 UCS set challenge (impossible)

This is seriously disappointing news after the dud that was the X-Wing, and despite it being a good build, the Landspeeder as well.

So I guess we can assume Jabba's Sail Barge will in fact be the big 2HY UCS

What about this isn't cool? We haven't gotten a UCS Interceptor in YEARS, and it's a great vehicle people love. An X-Wing was a great idea, even if the execution wasn't perfect, and the Landspeeder turned out really well, and was appreciated by a lot of people despite not being hyped up initially. 

26 minutes ago, NoOneOfImportance said:

What about this isn't cool? We haven't gotten a UCS Interceptor in YEARS, and it's a great vehicle people love. An X-Wing was a great idea, even if the execution wasn't perfect, and the Landspeeder turned out really well, and was appreciated by a lot of people despite not being hyped up initially. 

I guess my point which I didn't really state (lol) is that there are still a handful of sets that would be great in that $240 UCS slot that haven't been made before. Seeing a remake of a UCS always kinda rubs me the wrong way, hence why the 3rd rendition of the X-Wing did nothing but disappoint me. 

13 minutes ago, Old Master said:

I guess my point which I didn't really state (lol) is that there are still a handful of sets that would be great in that $240 UCS slot that haven't been made before. Seeing a remake of a UCS always kinda rubs me the wrong way, hence why the 3rd rendition of the X-Wing did nothing but disappoint me. 

A “remake” of a set released over two decades ago, the quality of which has been outdone by playsets since, is hardly disappointing imo. 

Excited to see the UCS interceptor. Glad I got the UCS Tie fighter on the aftermarket, it seems that won’t get another remake for a very long time, considering the other variants that have to get remade first. 

Only thing that disappoints me is that we’re getting two OT UCS sets next year, and no MBS to replace the Cantina when it retires, which is wacky considering how successful it is. 

Edited by Flawless Cowboy

4 minutes ago, Flawless Cowboy said:

A “remake” of a set released over two decades ago, the quality of which has been outdone by playsets since, is hardly disappointing imo. 

Excited to see the UCS interceptor. Glad I got the UCS Tie fighter on the aftermarket, it seems that won’t get another remake for a very long time, considering the other variants that have to get remade first. 

Only thing that disappoints me is that we’re getting two OT UCS sets next year, and no MBS to replace the Cantina when it retires, which is wacky considering how successful it is. 

TBF though assuming the Sail Barge truly is 5,000+ pieces it’ll almost certainly come with a Skiff and Sarclac Pit and probably like 15-25 minifigures so it’ll end being an MBS Playset of sorts.