MKJoshA

LEGO Star Wars 2021 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

2 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

If that rumor is true (which I still seriously doubt), the reason it would be mace instead of shaak is because one showed up in episode two, which we've known since the vote began the gunship would be based on, and the other didn't.

I'm kind of hijacking this just to vent at all the "where's p2 (clone), where's (jedi that wasn't in episode 2)", etc that happened when the figures were "leaked" and people were upset it didn't have p2 cody and multiple p2 212th.

She doesn't even have pupils! 

Well, not true. Shaak Ti was in the arena and fought next to all the other Jedi. There is a scene in which Shaak Ti clearly boards the gunship as well. If they do go with this route of a single clone and Jedi then she would have been a possible and better option because a figure like Mace is already common enough and he can show up in a lot more sets.

I agree with you though about all the people who are expressing their disappointment around the possible figures in the set, or lack thereof. I can't stand all the complaints I am seeing and I am afraid Lego will unfortunately be spammed once they make the official reveal. As much as I love clones and want them to be available in sets, I never thought a set like this would have that much to offer in terms of minifigures. I voted for the Nebulon because I would have preferred a minifig scaled gunship but now I can't wait for this set. It will probably be my first UCS ship once I find a good deal. There will be time for a minifig scaled one with lots of clones, but we sure need proper prequel UCS sets and this should be the gateway to them. At least I hope.

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

She doesn't even have pupils! 

Technically, she has pupils. Really, really big pupils.

56 minutes ago, jdubbs said:

Technically, she has pupils. Really, really big pupils.

Good point. Her eyes are just pupil.

Wait...mon mothma is being controlled by the mind stone! Patton Oswalt was right, the MCU is in star wars! :laugh:

1 hour ago, Stefanisimo said:

Well, not true. Shaak Ti was in the arena and fought next to all the other Jedi. There is a scene in which Shaak Ti clearly boards the gunship as well. If they do go with this route of a single clone and Jedi then she would have been a possible and better option because a figure like Mace is already common enough and he can show up in a lot more sets.

I agree with you though about all the people who are expressing their disappointment around the possible figures in the set, or lack thereof. I can't stand all the complaints I am seeing and I am afraid Lego will unfortunately be spammed once they make the official reveal. As much as I love clones and want them to be available in sets, I never thought a set like this would have that much to offer in terms of minifigures. I voted for the Nebulon because I would have preferred a minifig scaled gunship but now I can't wait for this set. It will probably be my first UCS ship once I find a good deal. There will be time for a minifig scaled one with lots of clones, but we sure need proper prequel UCS sets and this should be the gateway to them. At least I hope.

Ah, guess I was wrong then.

I had the same reasoning for voting for the nebuleon, I'd rather get a system gunship.

Ah, guess I was wrong then.

I had the same reasoning for voting for the nebuleon, I'd rather get a system gunship.

Agree on the gunship, and about Shaak Ti, if you rewatch the scene, it's actually sort of comical, when the Jedi are boarding the gunships to escape, Ki-Adi-Mundi's actor is really going above and beyond with deflecting laser blasts, while Shaak Ti is like hobbling over to the gunship, you'd think they would've reshot it with a bit more urgency.  

But yeah, reading YouTube and Instagram comments, it was honestly ridiculous the expectations people had for this set.  It wasn't going to be Clone Wars based (they've only done 1.5 prequel UCS sets that clearly didn't sell very well, and now people expect to branch out and make a UCS set based on a cartoon, that yes, does have appeal beyond kids, but is largely targeted at 9-14 year olds??), and even if we DID get P2 Cody, it was almost certainly not going to be minifigure-based.  People were expecting it to be something like the AT-OT and Dropship and now are going to be mad at "Lazy LEGO for screwing this set up" even though almost no UCS ships are in the style of a playset.  And again, even if we did get P2 Cody, how many people would've spent $350 for one figure?  If people mostly cared about the figures, it wasn't about the model in the first place, so why push so hard for a UCS one where the focus is on a display piece?

1 hour ago, Kit Figsto said:

AT-OT and Dropship

Something that was already extremely rare since they never appeared together in anything, nor did the clones it come with ever feature in it.

I am really unsure why Mace Windu is the 'rumoured' figure in the dropship. He appears in it briefly in AOTC and ROTS but Yoda or some other character would have made way more sense. I have never understood why P2 Cody has been associated with this set since the character was never even in it (at least in ROTS), it just appeared behind him but so did nearly every other named clone.

That said, I think the figures would be way better than what the nebulon B would have been, I couldn't see it including any other generic figure than the medical droid, since despite all its appearances no other unnamed characters are even seen in it..

9 hours ago, Stuartn said:

I have never understood why P2 Cody has been associated with this set since the character was never even in it (at least in ROTS), it just appeared behind him but so did nearly every other named clone.

I second this. I don't get why people have had such high expectations for a P2 Cody at any point - even back when people were assuming it would be in the grievous starfighter.

Sure it'd be cool and would logically go with the set, but Lego doesn't really work like that as we've seen from years of sets in the past. I wasn't surprised when he wasn't in either set, and won't be surprised if we never get him.

Honestly, I'm pretty happy with the rumoured two minifigs. I've managed to collect most characters I want without having to pay hundreds of dollars for UCS models, and I think it works that way. New and exclusive characters could always go in regular sets or the play based MBS set (which we should be getting next year?)

2 hours ago, jcn said:

I second this. I don't get why people have had such high expectations for a P2 Cody at any point - even back when people were assuming it would be in the grievous starfighter.

Sure it'd be cool and would logically go with the set, but Lego doesn't really work like that as we've seen from years of sets in the past. I wasn't surprised when he wasn't in either set, and won't be surprised if we never get him.

It would be ridiculous if we never get him. The Star Wars line is famous for its inclusion of obscure characters so not making a figure like phase 2 Cody at some point down the line is very unlikely. Especially when there is such a demand for one. It would be funny if he shows up in the Bad Batch or Kenobi with a completely new look and we get a set based on that :devil:

17 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

But yeah, reading YouTube and Instagram comments, it was honestly ridiculous the expectations people had for this set.  It wasn't going to be Clone Wars based (they've only done 1.5 prequel UCS sets that clearly didn't sell very well, and now people expect to branch out and make a UCS set based on a cartoon, that yes, does have appeal beyond kids, but is largely targeted at 9-14 year olds??), and even if we DID get P2 Cody, it was almost certainly not going to be minifigure-based.  People were expecting it to be something like the AT-OT and Dropship and now are going to be mad at "Lazy LEGO for screwing this set up" even though almost no UCS ships are in the style of a playset.  And again, even if we did get P2 Cody, how many people would've spent $350 for one figure?  If people mostly cared about the figures, it wasn't about the model in the first place, so why push so hard for a UCS one where the focus is on a display piece?

Yeah, people were/are expecting it to have, like, 7 clone commanders and a full legion of clone wars troops. 

The thing about the "no one's going to pay $350 for cody" reminds me of the amount of comments saying they'd vote for the gunship but not buy it, "just to see more prequel UCS", which aggravates me the most as it's antithetical to their stated goal. it makes it appear that there's more demand then there is, so then it'll underperform in sales and lego would be less likely to make more prequel UCS.

5 hours ago, jcn said:

I thought he made sense in the grevious fighter. It's a utapau ROTS set, so his inclusion wouldn't be out of place, and since that set is super overpriced compared to the rest of the wave, most of us assumed that there'd be an exclusive fig to entice more buyers.

5 hours ago, Stefanisimo said:

It would be ridiculous if we never get him. The Star Wars line is famous for its inclusion of obscure characters so not making a figure like phase 2 Cody at some point down the line is very unlikely. Especially when there is such a demand for one. It would be funny if he shows up in the Bad Batch or Kenobi with a completely new look and we get a set based on that :devil:

Indeed famous for the inclusion of obscure characters, and also the failure to ever make arguably major characters (Dryden Vos comes to mind) hence why I'm not counting on a P2 Cody anytime soon. Good point about the Bad Batch though, if he shows up there then we're definitely more like to see him in Lego form, possibly with a new look!

I thought he made sense in the grevious fighter. It's a utapau ROTS set, so his inclusion wouldn't be out of place, and since that set is super overpriced compared to the rest of the wave, most of us assumed that there'd be an exclusive fig to entice more buyers.

Yeah I totally think it would have made sense for him to be in that set - my point was that many of us make the mistake of assuming Lego will make such logical choices in designing their sets, when often times they don't unfortunately :sad:

3 hours ago, Mandalorianknight said:

The thing about the "no one's going to pay $350 for cody" reminds me of the amount of comments saying they'd vote for the gunship but not buy it, "just to see more prequel UCS", which aggravates me the most as it's antithetical to their stated goal. it makes it appear that there's more demand then there is, so then it'll underperform in sales and lego would be less likely to make more prequel UCS.

Realistically that's what I see happening.  Even if this were a minifig-scale set, at $350, I don't know how well it would've sold with the demographic that was very vocal about this set in the poll.  I don't frequent a lot of those communities online but I do browse sometimes in the Youtube/Instagram/Reddit areas where people were throwing support behind this, a very common theme is "That's overpriced" or "I want this but I don't have the money" or whatever.  That's obviously not everyone, but people on the younger end have less disposable income to throw down on a $350 set, especially those too young to work (I can 100% guarantee my parents would've never sprung for a $350 set, and it would've taken me forever to save up that much).  

Perhaps my naysaying is totally wrong, but I think if this fails (which I think it currently has more working against it than it does for it), prequel UCS in the future is dead in the water.  No idea if that would rule out the chances of a prequel MBS set in the future since I can't really tell how LEGO treats it versus the UCS line (do they see it as a separate target market or not, etc).

14 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Realistically that's what I see happening.  Even if this were a minifig-scale set, at $350, I don't know how well it would've sold with the demographic that was very vocal about this set in the poll.  I don't frequent a lot of those communities online but I do browse sometimes in the Youtube/Instagram/Reddit areas where people were throwing support behind this, a very common theme is "That's overpriced" or "I want this but I don't have the money" or whatever.  That's obviously not everyone, but people on the younger end have less disposable income to throw down on a $350 set, especially those too young to work (I can 100% guarantee my parents would've never sprung for a $350 set, and it would've taken me forever to save up that much).  

Perhaps my naysaying is totally wrong, but I think if this fails (which I think it currently has more working against it than it does for it), prequel UCS in the future is dead in the water.  No idea if that would rule out the chances of a prequel MBS set in the future since I can't really tell how LEGO treats it versus the UCS line (do they see it as a separate target market or not, etc).

Yeah as a young person with a job I’m going back and forth on this one. I don’t have a Gunship, but I feel like it’s going to be too big and these figs just ain’t it. 

20 hours ago, Kit Figsto said:

Perhaps my naysaying is totally wrong, but I think if this fails (which I think it currently has more working against it than it does for it), prequel UCS in the future is dead in the water.  No idea if that would rule out the chances of a prequel MBS set in the future since I can't really tell how LEGO treats it versus the UCS line (do they see it as a separate target market or not, etc)

No I think you're right. I would say that the gunship is probably only as popular as it is because of TCW, so the odds are the primary demographic would be even younger. There would be a lot of older fans that would like TCW too, but then they would probably be more inclined to the other sets in this wave.

I don't think an MBS set would happen anyway as most of the structures in the PT are much larger locations that would be hard to scale down like the OT sets. Some of the smaller locations I can think of, like the Lars homestead would be much more famous for their OT appearances too. The only MBS set that could work well would be Naboo which is unlikely anyway. As both 18+ sets, I think UCS set sales will impact MBS sets too.

Videos of the Imperial Shuttle are starting to pop up. Love how sleek the body looks but the lack of interior space is disappointing and the cockpit has some pretty unsightly gaps when looking down through the windscreen.

13 minutes ago, wesker said:

Videos of the Imperial Shuttle are starting to pop up. Love how sleek the body looks but the lack of interior space is disappointing and the cockpit has some pretty unsightly gaps when looking down through the windscreen.

link for those who are curious. 

I personally like the look of it. It’s a bit small, but it’ll look nice with the new TIE, and the general ship seems really nice. The cockpit is an easier fix then I thought; just remove the stud shooters and stick some longer angle pieces on there and it should clean up nicely. It’s no Tydirium, obviously, but for someone like me who doesn’t have one it will be...acceptable. 

I don't understand what possesses Lego to use so many MSG/LBG pieces, such as those grill pieces when the pieces exist in, and should be, white. My guess is for the pattern behind the bar piece, but why not use a grey sticker and the plate behind it should be white too. I know they do this for easy building, but its a 9+ set.

It shouldn't have been to difficult to accommodate two figures side by side in that cockpit, which is another design flaw, but I suppose a simple MOD.

It's happened a lot this wave, such as the odd DBG/DSG ball joint piece of the TIE fighter which should have been light grey, but I think this shuttle is the most detrimental.

10 minutes ago, Stuartn said:

I don't understand what possesses Lego to use so many MSG/LBG pieces, such as those grill pieces when the pieces exist in, and should be, white. My guess is for the pattern behind the bar piece, but why not use a grey sticker and the plate behind it should be white too. I know they do this for easy building, but its a 9+ set.

It shouldn't have been to difficult to accommodate two figures side by side in that cockpit, which is another design flaw, but I suppose a simple MOD.

It's happened a lot this wave, such as the odd DBG/DSG ball joint piece of the TIE fighter which should have been light grey, but I think this shuttle is the most detrimental.

At least in the TIE's case that piece is color locked. I agree though that lego often seems to have a requirement to include at least X number of different colors in a model. I'm all for the rainbow on the insides approach, but there always tends to be too many gray or sometimes tan accents on the outside of models.

18 minutes ago, Archer said:

but there always tends to be too many gray or sometimes tan accents on the outside of models

Exactly. It normally looks great on weathered builds like the AT hauler, but this ship is meant to be the carrier of the Emperor and other officials and should be very neat. Same goes for the insides, normally technic structures predominate so it is both easier to build with colour and pieces are also colour locked. With the TIE it could have used hinges instead of the ball joints, which (though I don't have the set) would logically provide less structure.

SW especially has odd colour choices, like the aforementioned AT hauler as an example being predominantly white with grey accents. Grey with tan/brown accents would have been way more accurate.

Edited by Stuartn

I agree with them having too many odd colors on a lot of models, but keep in mind that they've gotten a *lot* better about that than they used to be. Any time you're unhappy about light grey on the shuttle, look at 7184 Trade Federation MTT and remind yourself that things could be vastly worse. :laugh:

Unless you're a completionist I doubt anyone with the 2015 Tydirium is going to give this new model much of a look. I personally don't have a shuttle so I will be getting this one. There's a few disappointing aspects of the model, notably the whole cockpit area; it's far from a deal breaker but I'm surprised there isn't any sort of control panel or yoke for the pilot. Also the wings could do with a bit more detail. It'll be Bricklink to the rescue for this. I'm not too hung up on the figure selection; yes there could a few Stormtroopers I guess, but what we get is appropriate for the scene in the movie they're going for.

2 minutes ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Unless you're a completionist I doubt anyone with the 2015 Tydirium is going to give this new model much of a look.

Indeed. The new model almost remind me of the old 7166. The Tydirium is superior in any way. 

4 hours ago, MaximillianRebo said:

Unless you're a completionist I doubt anyone with the 2015 Tydirium is going to give this new model much of a look.

I absolutely agree.
I have the Tydirium and was interested in it at first but lost that interest as soon as I saw the official images.

Tydirium has it beat in every way but one: the 3x3 Roof Tile on the Tyderium uses a sticker whereas it looks like the new shuttle uses a 3x4 Roof Tile that is printed.

18 hours ago, Stuartn said:

I don't think an MBS set would happen anyway as most of the structures in the PT are much larger locations that would be hard to scale down like the OT sets. Some of the smaller locations I can think of, like the Lars homestead would be much more famous for their OT appearances too. The only MBS set that could work well would be Naboo which is unlikely anyway. As both 18+ sets, I think UCS set sales will impact MBS sets too.

I think a Geonosis Arena and maybe a Jedi Temple could work as MBS sets in the future, but again, I feel like it depends on whether or not LEGO sees prequel MBS as a viable product, and whether or not they see the buyer market for MBS as the same for UCS sets.  

Either way, though, I'm definitely anxious to see how the Gunship turns out.  I more than likely wasn't going to buy it (I don't think I can justify the Cantina PLUS the Gunship in the span of a year :laugh:), but I am curious to see how they do it and how large it actually is.  

I used to own the UCS Imperial Shuttle. I gifted the 2015 version to my nephew. I like the new version.  It's a great mix of playability and display-ability (not even accounting for price).

Play-ability: Could it have more room inside? Sure, however, when it comes to a Lamda, I want my kids and/or me to have the ability to:

• #1: Swoosh it, check. Better than the UCS, even.
  • Re-enact the "codes" scene - neither playset has a cockpit large enough to fit the entire crew.
  • Transport Palpatine and 2+ Royal Guards. 2015 wins here. The Guards can still usher his exit, though, which is how re-enactment normally goes anyways since nobody likes crumping up and/or removing all of those capes.

Display-ability:

The 2015 wings look like patchwork; it's an uneven mix of studs, smooth surfaces, and raised riles. I prefer the uniformly studded and (mostly) unraised surface on the 2021 wings, the smooth surface on the hull, and I *really* like the tiling around the nose-adjacent blasters. The curvature on the sides (where the wings raise & lower) is more uniform than 2015 and rounder than the UCS version.

Could the cockpit be better? YES. Absolutely. I wish they would've upped the price to $80 USD and addressed this. Admittedly, I'm hoping it doesn't look so bad in person (at least from the important angles) and/or the community crowdsources a solution. That said, I didn't like the nose on '15, either; the area above the windshield isn't supposed to be as long as the windshield itself. (Pedantry!)

I'll be happily purchasing this version because I think it's the best one for my family - not because it's all I can afford. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯