Calanon

Lego Ideas 90th Anniversary Fan Vote

I would have preferred they did something from their history - along the lines of the duck and the tractor - maybe the elephant. It is a 90 year anniversary, yet all the things they have chosen are from the second half of that period only. Plus whatever they choose (and I imagine they have already chosen) it will be divisive, with fans of the winning theme bragging they are the greatest.

4 minutes ago, danth said:

I hope so. I'd love to buy a Space AND Castle set!

Space AND Castle ... that was Nexo Knights! :-)

Edited by MAB

Voted for Adventurers in resigned acceptance it hasn't a hope in hell sadly.

AFOLs will vote out of misplaced nostalgia, rather than what classic retired theme would actually benefit the most from new parts and colours in an updated one-off set.

7 minutes ago, Ql97 said:

I ended up voting for Bionicle

How dare you?! 

Just joking :grin:,may the best theme win.

Just now, Lucarex said:

AFOLs will vote out of misplaced nostalgia, rather than what classic retired theme would actually benefit the most from new parts and colours in an updated one-off set.

Yea I don't think there is much chance for a win but hope dies last.

2 minutes ago, LOTR34 said:

Yea I don't think there is much chance for a win but hope dies last.

More like it’s the hope that kills you :laugh:

I’d have liked the option to have voted for “castle” as the theme and then if it won have the sub vote for the specific theme choices. I can’t say it making the top three with so many ways to split the vote. 

7 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

Had lego not divided it up so much I would have voted for Castle, Pirates and Adventurers. I wonder if the (unnecessary IMO) subtheme divisions for Castle and Space will be detrimental or beneficial to non space/castle themes.

I must admit I missed out on most of the these themes, not because I wasn’t into Lego at the time, but because I foolishly(!) had too much of a focus on Technic.

So this grouping does confuse me a bit.  Classic Space, Space Police, and Blacktron all look pretty similar to me, except for colors and probably the stories. Same for Classic Castle, Lion Knights, Black Falcons, Forestmen, Wolfpack, and Black Knights. It does seem like it would split the vote quite a bit.

i completely missed out on Pirates and have thoroughly enjoyed Pirates of Barracuda Bay and would love more pirate ships but even more some competition for them. So Imperials will get one of my votes.

if a vote for Time Cruisers means we can get some cool steampunk designs, I’m for that. And I really like my Johnny Thunder minifig, so Adventurers will round out my vote.

Edited by Chmashdehjare
Grammar

2 hours ago, Agent Kallus said:

It is a real shame that they're only doing one set from this vote. Though I'm sure they'll do more than this for their anniversary. 

Honestly I think there are ten or more of these themes that deserve a reboot, even if it's just a one-off set.  

I do think some of the choices are a bit odd, I sort of see why they split Castle into several different subthemes, but I don't really get why they chose they didn't also do that for Pirates.  Take Wolfpack for example, it was a cool subtheme, but it was only three small sets, whereas Armada also got three small sets under the Pirate theme, but isn't represented.  Ninja or Fright Knights, to me, may have been more popular.  I'm fine with them splitting it up, but it's just strange that some of the Space/Castle subthemes aren't included.  Similarly, the lack of Western is really weird to me, as that's a super popular theme on the secondary market and the only thing that was even close to it was Lone Ranger like ten years ago.

Edited by Kit Figsto

3 hours ago, Lego David said:

Bionicle: Am I a joke to you? :grin:

I never got the appeal of Bionicle. It's just Technic panels you can't use for anything and Technic pins everyone already has hundreds of, put together to make some weird robot thing that in my experience never stood up properly anyway. Give me a System set any day of the week.

1 hour ago, danth said:

Pirates got two sets last year, Castle is getting two sets this year. Benny's Space ship was 7 years ago already. Friends is basically Paradisa on steroids.

Clearly Space is the most due for a set.

Space has always been a prevalent theme. If anything, I think Adventurers deserves one, it's been at least a decade since anything resembling it was released and that was quite a rare event.

Imagine a big Egyptian pyramid with an awesome interior; hallways, tombs, trap-filled exploration zones, with a line-up of those classic characters modernized, now that would be something truly special.

52 minutes ago, Chmashdehjare said:

So this grouping does confuse me a bit.  Classic Space, Space Police, and Blacktron all look pretty similar to me, except for colors and probably the stories. Same for Classic Castle, Lion Knights, Black Falcons, Forestmen, Wolfpack, and Black Knights. It does seem like it would split the vote quite a bit.

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. It means we're less likely to get a Space or Castle set, just because of how they split the vote. What happens if they get 10,000 votes for each space subtheme, and 11,000 votes for Paradisa? Are they going to make a Paradisa set even though 70,000 people voted for Space? Or have to explain why they decided to make a Space set even though Paradisa technically "won"?

Just now, danth said:

Yeah, it's pretty annoying. It means we're less likely to get a Space or Castle set, just because of how they split the vote. What happens if they get 10,000 votes for each space subtheme, and 11,000 votes for Paradisa? Are they going to make a Paradisa set even though 70,000 people voted for Space? Or have to explain why they decided to make a Space set even though Paradisa technically "won"?

Welcome to first past the post voting.

Yeah, it sucks. I really, really wish they either let us do voting on sub-themes or let us do preferential ranking. This is also why I was wondering if people had a preference for us to rally behind a particular sub-theme.

If it's any help, the Castle subtheme I've seen the most enthusiastic Facebook/Twitter comments about this poll is Forestmen (perhaps because it's the Castle subtheme that has the least in common with more recent ones).

Edited by Aanchir

I voted for forestmen, classic castle, and lion knights.  It's disappointing that the castle and space cub themes were broken up while 'town' and 'trains' were one huge theme.  Based on responses here and other threads, castle and space are getting a lot of votes, but across their many sub themes.  I would have lumped forestmen, black knights, wolfpack, etc. as subthemes under castle.  I doubt that any castle or space theme will make it based on this.

5 hours ago, Lucarex said:

If the comment sections are anything to go by, Adventurers actually seems like it's up there as a top contender. So many votes are going there while space/castle is spread out over different subthemes, so there is hope.

I supported Classic Castle as a general subject with an emphasis on Dragon Masters as a subtheme.

Overall I'd take any Castle throwbacks.

14 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I can't be the only one surprised not to see Western on the list, though. My understanding has always been that it's one of Lego's most popular themes, and surely they're aware of that, so is there a reason it was excluded?

I suspect that it’s because of political sensitivity. 

I can’t vote because I have an older LEGO account that can’t be integrated with Ideas, keeping me and others with older LEGO accounts out of any Ideas vote - which is extremely unfair.

If I could vote, it would be for Classic Space, Dragon Knights and either Lion Knights or Forestmen.

I can understand why Bionicles’ fans support it but feel that it isn’t suitable for an anniversary set. To the wider public and to many AFOLs, Bionicles doesn’t represent mainstream LEGO, lacking as it does minifigures and conventional LEGO bricks.

8 hours ago, danth said:

They have made it clear that they are not going to be transparent when it comes to the winner. They will choose what they want to win.

16 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

I can’t vote because I have an older LEGO account that can’t be integrated with Ideas, keeping me and others with older LEGO accounts out of any Ideas vote - which is extremely unfair.

What the heck how does that work? "As a penalty for your loyalty, to heck with you!" *huh*

9 hours ago, Alexandrina said:

I never got the appeal of Bionicle. It's just Technic panels you can't use for anything and Technic pins everyone already has hundreds of, put together to make some weird robot thing that in my experience never stood up properly anyway. Give me a System set any day of the week.

You clearly don't know anything about how the theme actually is like, do you?  All the things you said are just the common misconceptions that a lot of AFOLs have about Bionicle. 

34 minutes ago, koalayummies said:

What the heck how does that work? "As a penalty for your loyalty, to heck with you!" *huh*

Basically, yes. LEGO knows it’s an issue but refuses to put its IT house in order. Shameful really.

It is a bizarre split. The Wolfpack faction had three small sets totalling about 375 or so parts, so is the equivalent size of a single $35-40 modern set. Yet that gets classed as a separate theme to go up against others that ran for multiple years.