Sariel

42114 6x6 Volvo Articulated Hauler [VIDEO REVIEW]

Nice review, thanks.

1 kg of nuts should last for a while - perfect hamster shopping truck :>

I hope the software get's improved a bit before release.

Edit: @SarielDoes the steering problem occur in both interfaces?

Edited by Gimmick

42070 has a complex gearbox and no one bats an eye.

42114 has a less complex gearbox and every one loses their minds.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

13 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

42070 has a (almost) remote-controlled gearbox and no one bats an eye.

42114 has a remote-controlled gearbox and every one loses their minds.

Lmao... probably because 42114 actually looks like there was thought put into the design.

@Sariel Great review! Also, I have an interesting observation to make. Racingbrick mentioned in his review that with an open diff as soon as one wheel would lose traction then the whole hauler would stop immediately. Then I saw in your review on the slope test that with two wheels without traction but on the same axle the hauler would still keep going.

Initially I was puzzled, but then I thought about how that differential would work and it did made sense. Strange that in a 6x6 (or in an n x n) if one wheel is off the ground you're not getting traction anywhere, but then if the other wheel connected to the same diff would also lose traction, then traction would be passed along to the next diff. Interesting but strange quirk of how multiple differentials linked together work.

Also, I think you have a minor mistake in your review. You mentioned in the subtitles that one of the motors is an L but it's an XL, I believe. Fairly minor but I did think it was strange for Lego not to use their biggest motor for power so I double-checked.

All in all this looks like a good set. I just wish I would have been faster. Perhaps two XL motors with a gearing up before going to the gearbox...

Edited by XenoRad

Nice review as always: clear, informative and elaborate! For me it doesn't spark anything, this set is just not for me I guess...

It is very nice though to finally see a 3 speed remote transmission in an official set. And smart design with the 4th speed being the bucket tilt. A major letdown for me is the total absense of any suspension. Even the 42070 was better than nothing imho...

And @Sariel, you missed the #21 & #22 mini panel pair in yellow as 'parts in new color'...

55 minutes ago, Magical Duck said:

Lmao... probably because 42114 actually looks like there was thought put into the design.

I rebuilt 42070 recently and it's better than its reputation. Aside from the bloody outriggers that don't sync. And it has a B-model!

Just now, Maaboo35 said:

I rebuilt 42070 recently and it's better than its reputation. Aside from the bloody outriggers that don't sync. And it has a B-model!

There's a quick mod to make the outriggers sync. But that's not relevant to the thread.

8 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I rebuilt 42070 recently and it's better than its reputation. And it has a B-model!

The 42070's B-model is something that haunts you in your nightmares, trust me. And yes, I confirm that the steering problem occurs in both interfaces. Perhaps I got a faulty motor?

8 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There's a quick mod to make the outriggers sync. But that's not relevant to the thread.

Just answering Magical Duck (there's a sentence I never thought I'd write). But back on topic! Volvo Not-Quite-A60H, whee!

4 minutes ago, Sariel said:

The 42070's B-model is something that haunts you in your nightmares, trust me.

Woah! Back off-topic! I will fight for that strange little truck! It's fun to drive about and those body panels are pretty neat. It reminds me of the odd futuristic sets TLG did around the turn of the millennium. Maybe it's more of a nostalgia thing...

6 minutes ago, Sariel said:

And yes, I confirm that the steering problem occurs in both interfaces. Perhaps I got a faulty motor?

And back on-topic. I'd say it's a software thing. I don't see how the physical state of the motor would be a factor. Surely you'd hear a weird noise or something if the motor was duff.

Great review, thanks a lot.

In he section "parts in new colors" you forgot to mention the panel 3x7 and the small panels #21 & #22, all three in yellow. Two of the panels 3x7 you can use for improving the look of 42030.

2 hours ago, XenoRad said:

Initially I was puzzled, but then I thought about how that differential would work and it did made sense. Strange that in a 6x6 (or in an n x n) if one wheel is off the ground you're not getting traction anywhere, but then if the other wheel connected to the same diff would also lose traction, then traction would be passed along to the next diff. Interesting but strange quirk of how multiple differentials linked together work.

No, it's caused by the center diff. The two rear axles are linked, so you only lose power if one wheel loses traction on both axles. But there's a center diff toward the front axle, so if one of the front wheels loses traction then it's all gone right away.

Nice review, been looking forward to this one.

The fact that it's a licensed model AND has Control+ makes this set great already. The gearbox, however, is next-level - totally didn't expect that early on. Too bad I got the 42099 before more info was available about the set...as you said, it's such a better deal than the 42099 in terms of price per piece.

57 minutes ago, JLiu15 said:

Nice review, been looking forward to this one.

The fact that it's a licensed model AND has Control+ makes this set great already. The gearbox, however, is next-level - totally didn't expect that early on. Too bad I got the 42099 before more info was available about the set...as you said, it's such a better deal than the 42099 in terms of price per piece.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the 42099 set. Price per piece is indeed not that great, but you need to factor design and capability. You get two XL motors for drive and one L motor for steering. So that's double the drive power compared to this set and a beefy steering motor too. If you switch some of the gear wheels the 42099 can become very good on and off road, but a bit slower. You also get the turntable which some may not like but I think it's a clever solution for extra articulation.

With my modded 42099, having the same motor arrangement but lower gears, a higher ride height on the front, increased wheelbase and cargo bed I can climb nearly 50° slopes unloaded, or up to 30° slopes with about 2 kg (4.4 pounds) of evenly distributed weight.

So I think 42099 has the potential, with a few modifications, of being the best official Lego off-roader in quite some time. But I would get it at a discount at this point in time.

Edited by XenoRad

Thank you for this review. I think I will buy based off of it, especially given your comment that this is the "best Control+ starter set so far". Now to be patient until September!

1 hour ago, XenoRad said:

I wouldn't worry too much about getting the 42099 set. Price per piece is indeed not that great, but you need to factor design and capability. You get two XL motors for drive and one L motor for steering. So that's double the drive power compared to this set and a beefy steering motor too. If you switch some of the gear wheels the 42099 can become very good on and off road, but a bit slower. You also get the turntable which some may not like but I think it's a clever solution for extra articulation.

Exactly, having multiple motors of the same type in a set is better than one of each imo. For instance, you could hard-couple the two XL motors in the 42099 to get more torque, while the 42114 has 3 distinct motors.

At the end of the day, every set has its unique perks ig.

Edited by JLiu15

1 minute ago, suffocation said:

Great review. I also really like the new graphics and music.

+1. Although there will always be a place in my heart for the old blue slides...

Just finished building it. Am I the only one experiencing a small 1 sec stop when shifting from the 2nd to the 3rd gear?

also my copy lacked three parts: a blue axle pin, a pin with bush and a black 3x3 T-beam. Actually in stead of that beam I had an extra 2x4 L-beam. How weird. 

Actually iam building the Hauler and tried to reduce the wobble in the front carriage. the grey 2l Pins are replaced by 3 L pins which are guided on the whole length. additional there is a hook to reduce the play in the turntable. i guess for less woble the small turntable has to replaced by a large one.

50235449503_1b89ee5819_c.jpg

50235449433_10717cbeb1_c.jpg

50236100236_56de074fdf_c.jpg

Edit: wrong topic, please move to the 42114 improvement topic

Edited by efferman

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2020 at 10:42 AM, Sariel said:

And here's a little off-road test with the 42114:

It'd be nice to see a comparison video: 9398 vs 42070 vs 42099 vs 42114.