Pdaitabird

Set Builders vs. MOC Builders

Do you mostly build official sets or design your own models? Do you think most AFOLs tend to fall into one camp or another? Feel free to discuss here, and please keep it courteous! :wink:

I'm firmly in the MOC camp...I've only bought one set recently and only to use as a parts pack.

(Mods, my apologies if there is already a similar topic for this. I searched and didn't find one.)

I'm both. I've always been both. When I was younger it was maybe more MOC side, but I've always liked keeping sets together. Minifigures are a bit more loose, especially if I have multiple copies of specific minifigures, like Darth Vader or Exo-Force characters, for example. Then those sigfigs or generic figures when I was a kid and played all the time. As I've gotten older, I love keeping sets together, mainly because most of the sets I buy now are Modulars, iconic ships like the Slave I, etc.

I ad tubs of loose bricks I had gotten from older cousins when I was younger to build MOCs. That's since grown into just ordering parts online for MOCs, be it ones I'm actively working on or just to have loose pieces for when an idea hits. Mostly I do digital MOCs now because I just don't have room in my place to store anything.

I think generally people fall into one side or the other.

I'm both, though scope and scale varies.

I buy and build sets on a regular basis.  If I pick up a set, it's a foregone conclusion that I'm going to build it according to the instructions at least once - usually when I first open it.  Depending on what it is, it might sit in that state for a few days or a few years depending on its appeal as a display model.  Then, over time, other pressures move in (gravitational disturbances, cats, my child, my own boredom with it or a lack of display space) and sets get scrapped for parts for my MOCs.

I'm a very deliberate (and occasionally over ambitious) MOC'er.  I can spend months designing/tinkering/prototyping/agonizing over a piece before I start the build in earnest and, then the builds themselves tend to be far bigger than most sets, so  for me, MOCs are really _projects_ that might span months of effort and hundreds (if not thousands, but don't tell my wife) of dollars in bricks whereas sets are just _activities_ to chill out with after a long day at work.

Since becoming a dad I really haven't had much time for big MOCs (though I'm trying to ween myself back to more modest efforts to squeeze some in) so sets, particularly ones my daughter can join in on have become a more common weekend hobby.

Mostly MOC, but still get a lot of sets for parts primarily looking at the price per piece point. $0.06 per piece or lower with pieces I like is usually enough to persuade.

However judging by the number of threads and comments about official sets vs MOC threads and comments I'd say the overwhelming majority of AFOL are set builders and there's nothing wrong with that because they help keep Lego going all the same.

Edited by koalayummies

I'm both. Why? Becsuse as far as buying official sets go, when I buy something, I like to build what's on that box and I make modifications as I see fit. I don't buy sets for parts. That's just a waste of time and money in my opinion. If I want particular parts or builds from a certain set, I try to find them on eBay. 

MOCs? If I need parts for a MOC, I head on to either the replacement parts page on the official site, use the Pick A Brick, go pick up some brick tubs from random stores or I go to Bricklink. That's what I do when I make a MOC. Unfortunately because of a brick shortage in my house (My wife and I donated a substantial amount to charity), we haven't MOCed any buildings. 

Edited by Brandon Pea

Set builder.  Like to build an official TLG set then add a few pieces here and there to customize.  I do plan on building some MOC when I get the time.  

Still mostly a set builder, I always build a set first but then it ends up being on display.

But the plans to take things apart are always there, just needs to get myself to do that, and go even further by mixing sets and their parts, at that point, it's LEGO , not a glued model-kit after all.

I used to mix and match with no worry as a kid, still had regret of taking sets apart at times, but with a lot more focus for detail nowadays, it's sometimes hard to break the perfectionism of a complete/built set, and knowing the parts are still all right there.

I actually got back into LEGO after rebuilding my old sets around 2015 , but I still keep those seperate, but I can accept the missing/broken pieces on those sets as they are 20+ years old.

Most of my recent MOCing been with parts from those "Classic" theme boxes + spare parts (lots of 1x1 etc.), but often get taken apart days after as well.

Also been building the alternate builds on 3-in-1 set more often, keeping the loose parts seperate as well still.

Edited by TeriXeri

Both, more "crazy" MOCing than modeling.

Crazy as in "building a train tunnel with a green canopy on top" and then e.g. merging in StarWars sets (the ones that fit - as far as I am concerned) and so on.

Freestyle:wink:

Best regards,
Thorsten   

I am personally more of a MOCer. Following instructions isn't really my taste, and I often find it quite irritating  (especially If I am building a larger set). That's why most of the used sets I buy are usually pre-built when they arrive. However, as much as I don't really enjoy building huge sets, building smaller sets that don't take a lot of time are always fun.

14 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

Do you mostly build official sets or design your own models? Do you think most AFOLs tend to fall into one camp or another?

I imagine most are somewhere in between. I mostly MOC but also build official sets. Even those who mainly build official sets will occasionally put together a small build to enhance what LEGO provides.

Plus there is a third type of AFOL, collectors that don't even open the boxes.

I tend to build more MOCs than sets, I find more attractive the former, but I do enjoy also building sets oriented toward AFOLs. :)

I’m firmly in the set builder camp. I keep my sets in bags/containers. I’ve built a few minor things for my town, but not exactly sure I’d consider myself a MOC’er. 

I do have a little interest in it I suppose, but being a set collector, I don’t have readily available parts like some do. 

I'm actually kind of surprised how many people just build sets, considering the number of amazing MOCs people post here on Eurobricks and other places. Neat to know!

On March 11, 2020 at 5:22 PM, Brandon Pea said:

I don't buy sets for parts. That's just a waste of time and money in my opinion.

In most cases, I'm inclined to agree. But for my building style, I like the challenge of building with what I have on hand.  I rarely order parts for specific MOCs, but try to find parts that I can use in a variety of ways. For that kind of building style, Dorado Showdown made the perfect parts kit...lots of dark red, tan, and SNOT bricks, great minifigs, and a deep discount! I've found a use for nearly every piece in various parts of my town/railway layout.

So for those of you who build MOCs, do you usually design a model first and then order parts to build it, or do you find some interesting parts in a set or on the PAB wall and find inspiration for a model from that?

Just now, Pdaitabird said:

So for those of you who build MOCs, do you usually design a model first and then order parts to build it, or do you find some interesting parts in a set or on the PAB wall and find inspiration for a model from that?

I do both - sometimes parts suggest a MOC, other times MOCs are planned and parts from collection used and BL order supplement where needed.

However, I find buying sets a great source for parts for MOCs. If they are licensed sets, you can often offset most of the cost of the set by selling the minifigures. I use a lot of natural colours - greys, browns, tans, etc, and LOTR, The Hobbit and Star Wars sets have been great ones to part out over the recent years. I still have a load of LOTR/Hobbit sealed boxes from when they were sold off reasonably cheap. I bought 40 of this set when they were £6.

79015-1.jpg?201409150822

Even at the time the minifigures alone were worth that. And the remains make great castle building supplies, especially if you buy lots of the same set.

Non-licensed sets are not so good though, as there is little value in the minifigures unless they are something really unique.

I am a MOCer through and through. I buy sets for parts and most of the time I also build them.

Due to the way I MOC, what I like for my style, I prefer to work with diverse parts and parts I own. So buying a set because I like the array of parts and colours (including minifigure parts) is my way of stocking up my collection. Of course, this is a collection built over 26 years that includes more than one purchase of mixed lots, PaB wall raids and visits to Fabrik in LEGOLAND Germany. It is not exactly a collection created solely of sets and the parts they provide :grin:

However, I do build (nearly) all my sets that I purchase. Set building, for me, is something of a mindfulness exercise. The mixture of instructions to follow, tactile parts to manipulate, satisfying clicks of bricks snapped together and mechanisms with results at the end, work wonders to calm and quiet down anxiety attacks that come on from time to time. My stockpile of sets were an absolute tonic when I was particularly poorly and if I have been having a rough time of life, a new set to build will help.

Building sets also lets me see techniques the designers use and some of the uses for new elements. With my memory being quite sharp, I can recall what is in a set after one build so when MOCing, I know where I could find a part I need, or confirm that I have it somewhere after tear-down. (The LEGO Movie Master Builder Vision is a good way to explain it).

Sure, for a giant or very specific project, I do buy in bulk or from Bricklink to fill what I need, but I find it fun to work within what I own too. 

42 minutes ago, Pdaitabird said:

I buy what I think I need (at least for the castle I'm working on) from online of the PaB wall. Other times I just grab randomly from the wall and do a little vig with what's on hand. I might design something and then get the pieces for a build soon, just because it's going to be more curved and I want to experiment with those before I buy.

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

I do what @Peppermint_M, @MAB, and @KotZ have said. As most of the things I build for my little LEGO world are freestyle (either as MOC itself or when placing an adapted set where it definitely not belongs:tongue:) I mostly buy sets for parts. Either for shapes and/or colors ... or fun. Just now I am "integrating" all the stets not used for parts (ships, minifigs, 4.5V and 12V track etc - that needs a lot of e.g. gray or whatever-color-sand-is plates to build foundations, blue (light and dark ...) for a little water. As I learned about two months ago that there is a rather large BL store (FigsBricks) around the corner (5 miles), I don't do PaB anymore - they have it all. Large amounts from them, all the fun stuff from sets.

I never planned a MOC - I just build with what I have. And then put some MOCs into electronic form using MLCAD for documentation purposes. On the other hand: Who on earth is interested in that? Well - I am - it is fun to browse through LDraw files more than 15 years old ...

All the best
Thorsten 

I do a bit of everything.  I build sets, MODs, MOCs, collect, make my own parts, etc.

1 hour ago, Pdaitabird said:

I would have an idea in my head and I would build off that.  I make changes on the fly based on what parts I have on hand (or I could easily find in my somewhat sorted collection of parts).  I Bricklinked parts to make a train before and the wait was a momentum killer.

Back when the LEGO Stores had the AFOL displays, I would build something based on what's on their Pick A Brick wall.  Lots of time customers ask the Store how they can buy or build that. Make it easier if they don't have to hunt down rare pieces. Plus drive some PAB sales if possible.

Minifigures are at the heart of my display collection. Most are MOCs, but a few are as intended by LEGO.

When it comes to sets, I’m neither a MOCer nor an official set builder. Rather, I’m a modder.

One of MOC minifigures was, I believe, the ‘inspiration’ for an official LEGO minifigure - which is a weird reversal of how things normally work  ?

3 hours ago, AmperZand said:

Minifigures are at the heart of my display collection. Most are MOCs, but a few are as intended by LEGO.

When it comes to sets, I’m neither a MOCer nor an official set builder. Rather, I’m a modder.

One of MOC minifigures was, I believe, the ‘inspiration’ for an official LEGO minifigure - which is a weird reversal of how things normally work  ?

Heh, never thought of that when discussing MOCers. Interesting. Since they started putting exclusive bits in the towers, I’ve become a bit of a minifigs MOCer. It really is quite fun, getting that perfect combination. 

12 hours ago, Pdaitabird said:

I usually just design the whole thing in my head and start building with whatever parts I've got. If my MOC could benefit from using a part which I don't own, I go to Bricklink and try to get that specific part as soon as possible.

Or, in other cases, when I buy a set because it has interesting parts, I often times design the whole MOC around those parts which I found interesting. 

I live in the beautiful Pacific Northwest so I go to Bricks Cascade and drool over the beautiful MOCs I see there.  The articles people post here on their work make me green with envy.  I don’t do MOCs because I typically don’t have the patience. Perhaps when I have more time. But I buy a lot and build the sets because following the instructions, the tactile feel of the bricks, seeing the creation come to life and figuring out where the designer is going is all relaxing to me.  So I’m firmly in the set builder camp.

My problem is I want to have my cake and eat it too ... I didn't build many MOCs as a kid because I wanted, for example, the A-wing set for the A-wing and not as a source of parts, and I feel the same about kits today.  I like to build creations in Studio but I haven't yet persuaded myself I can afford to Bricklink the parts.  So I want to build MOCs, just not enough to part with my sets, pun intended.

Edit, adding paragraphs:

One of the reasons I don't part out sets for MOCs as an adult is because I remember how frustrated I was as a kid when I couldn't rebuild some sets because the parts had scattered into this and that.  The other is that I like to keep my room very tidy and well organized, and I don't like messes of any kind.  Since I don't have room for a well organized, dedicated build and display space, all MOC building sessions have to be conducted sitting on the floor surrounded by Ziploc bags; it gets hard on the sitting muscles and tedious to take everything out and pack it away again.  It's much easier to keep things tidy and clean if I store sets disassembled and rotate them between the storage closet and the small display/play/swooshing table as desired.

TLDR: Until I get a better job and a bigger home, I'll stick to building sets and keep my MOCs on Studio.

Edited by icm

I mostly build MOCs.  Occasionally I'll build a set with a family member.  Definitely 99% of my stuff is from the PAB wall and B&P online.  Can't get pieces efficiently enough any other way.