1 hour ago, boat2903 said:

Edit: Anyways back to the topic. I don't think it makes sense for Lego to motorize such a huge/heavy car. I'm really only interested in remote control for sets that do interesting things, like the Liebherr R 9800 Excavator. There are plenty of remote controlled toy cars out there and I don't think that's Lego's niche - nor should it be. I don't want to pay more for motorized functions unless the model does something a lot more interesting than what a car can do.

To clarify, when I mentioned motorisation, I didn't mean that the set should come motorised, I don't think it should. But now they have a much stronger differential, and one half of the new stronger CV joint, they are not that far from being able to make the drive line strong enough to enable motorisation should the buyer want to motorise it, just by putting a motor directly onto, or in place of, the fake engine. Lego motors turn so slowly that a fake engine could easily cope with spinning about the same speed as a motor when pushed along the floor, so gearing isn't a problem, if it is a problem in higher gears then add a stage of reduction between the motor and fake engine. They just need to release a new wheel hub with the female part to match the new larger male part that came with 42099 and have a decent, more realistic gearbox, and maybe add a clutch from 42100 for protection. This wouldn't increase the cost of the model at all and would only represent the natural progression and improvements in part design that we see over time. You might not want the option to do that but there are others that might, and I think it would be a good sign of quality and robust engineering if the drive train was designed to this standard. Of course, I'm not expecting this of the Sian but it's a nice standard of engineering quality and robustness to aim for I think. And I think it would be quite cool to be actually able to see the gear box working. 8448 had the option of lifting the rear wheels off the ground and adding a motor so you could see the rear wheels spinning faster as you moved up through the gears. That would be a pretty neat display feature with a paddle shift.

With "18+" marking I'm hope for all black/DBG/LBG chassis this time. Including gears and axles. Obviously, this is done for marketing purposes (which I don't tolerate as much), but there is a hope.

11 minutes ago, zux said:

With "18+" marking I'm hope for all black/DBG/LBG chassis this time. Including gears and axles. Obviously, this is done for marketing purposes (which I don't tolerate as much), but there is a hope.

Expect your bubble of hope to be burst.

8 hours ago, kbalage said:

HOG steering is a double edged sword - it adds to the functionality but it can't be done without a compromise in design. Since the Porsche and the Bugatti (and I guess the Lamborghini as well) are primarily display models, they have a working steering wheel but no HOG gear. Their primary "function" is the provide a great build experience with the fancy box, detailed information, added extras like the podcast for the Bugatti, and to have some semi-realistic features built in that practically no one will ever use as they serve as display models. 

The Land Rover and the Charger are meant to be played, so that's why they have HOG steering. Interestingly 42096 did not have HOG steering either, only a working steering wheel. I don't think it's a differentiation based on product evolution or anything, might be a decision in accordance with the license partner. 

Leaving any licensing deal apart (which indeed would make any discussion moot if it purposely excluded HOG steering) those are valid points, but in display ability Lego can never beat a die-cast model which features fully accurate exterior and interior so it shouldn't try. I came to Lego from collecting die-casts and Lego's advantages are: building experience, more functions and the thought that if something gets damaged you can just replace the part. Die-casts are heavy and the paint needs protecting so they rarely leave the shelf.

So I think Lego should focus a bit more on play ability. You're always going to end up with a compromise in design in Lego. But a compromise in design for functionality will be better perceived in my opinion. I think the true value in objects we humans make and enjoy is how we get to interact with them. There's no point in them existing for their own purpose since they're not alive and no other creature on Earth has any use for them.

31 minutes ago, zux said:

Hope is delayed disappointment :grin:

Well, as much as I love LEGO, I never actually "play" with it and don't get why people want HOG so much. Like, will someone here drive the car on his/her table and steer it for more then a minute in total? Maybe to show it to other people, I guess. Now imagine how much it would cost for designers to implement this feature, for the product that is targeted as "premium" basically and intended to be on the shelf for most its lifetime.

10 hours ago, Seasider said:

@SNIPE why would the Lambo have HOG steering? The Porsche and Bugatti didn’t as they’re Adult models and not kids playthings.

That never occurred to me. Is the perception by Lego that adult's aren't interested in playing with the models they build? Because lego RC seems to generate more than it's fair share of interest from adults. 

I like the use of electronics/RC, but I also like that Lego seem to have created a distinctly different section that's safe from it, and with it, the opportunity to create those things we otherwise might not see.  I just hope they use it, and show some variety in the features each time. 

Adults don't play, they operate :grin: Functionality is key but the functions only come alive when you play wit....ERM....I mean operate them. Some people like shelf queen's, some people like building a miniature version of the real thing mechanics and all, some people like playing, some people just want the parts, and some of us like a mix of all if the above.

1 hour ago, zux said:

There is a slim chance that the liftarms and other structural parts of the chassis are black/gray, but beyond that there's no chance they would make axles, pins and gears in other colours than those available now. But I'm fully expecting the usual colour vomit interior.

10 minutes ago, allanp said:

Adults don't play, they operate :grin:

You made my day, I will save this. :laugh:

21 minutes ago, allanp said:

Adults don't play, they operate :grin: Functionality is key but the functions only come alive when you play wit....ERM....I mean operate them. Some people like shelf queen's, some people like building a miniature version of the real thing mechanics and all, some people like playing, some people just want the parts, and some of us like a mix of all if the above.

Adults operate adult toys.  Motors and batteries help adult toys come alive. Nice thing about LEGO is you can MOD it to your personal satisfaction level. :pir_laugh2:

33 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Adults operate adult toys.

This made me think of the kind of toys that TLG will never produce :innocent:

4 minutes ago, ibessonov said:

Well, as much as I love LEGO, I never actually "play" with it and don't get why people want HOG so much. Like, will someone here drive the car on his/her table and steer it for more then a minute in total? Maybe to show it to other people, I guess. Now imagine how much it would cost for designers to implement this feature, for the product that is targeted as "premium" basically and intended to be on the shelf for most its lifetime.

I want this, and every model TLG produces to have every feature and function that's ever been conceived on any car, be it actual, fictional or MOC, up to and including a flux capacitor.

Is that really so much to ask?

3 hours ago, ibessonov said:

Well, as much as I love LEGO, I never actually "play" with it and don't get why people want HOG so much.

I drive my Defender forwards and back a bit from time to time because I like seeing the steering work. Think of it as a means to observe how a function works, much like pushing it forwards and back to see the gearbox/engine move

16 hours ago, kbalage said:

Because the intention of the "leaker" was most probably not to leak a photo, he/she wanted to simply sell the set on the auction site. I'm not even sure the person was aware of the fact that box was not seen by anyone outside the factory. 

And he even took the photo on the wrong direction (the back of the box)

Confirmed he is not knowing well about Lego and it’s just simply to sell a thing for some pocket money

12 hours ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Speculating about the designer, my bet is Michael T. as the lead designer for this 42115.

You mean Michael T. Jeppesen?

i think also the sián will be just gold colored.

lgsg1.jpg

lgsg2.jpg

lgsg3.jpg

Edited by Stewen

18 minutes ago, Stewen said:

I guess you missed the photo of the box :) 

6 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I guess you missed the photo of the box :) 

I'm just speculating :)

lgsg4.jpg

@Stewen Just go back 2 pages (32), and you will see why you are too late to the party... :wink:

31 minutes ago, Stewen said:

That would be to much gold for me

4 minutes ago, agrof said:

@Stewen Just go back 2 pages (32), and you will see why you are too late to the party... :wink:

I think that box fake ;)