42 minutes ago, amorti said:

I'd be surprised if it had oil in there, and pressurised air won't work on a kids toy. Maybe as simple as an O ring between the slider and fixed part just to slow the motion?

Pressurised air is much simpler than you think. All you need is a chamber with a narrow hole for air flow to be restricted. The internal air pressures aren't gonna be anywhere near as high as would be required to rupture the chamber. I'm almost certain it'll just be an air damper like the last one in 8285.

Edited by Bartybum

8 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Pressurised air is much simpler than you think. All you need is a container with a narrow hole for air flow to be restricted. I'm almost certain it'll just be an air damper like the last one in 8285.

But air alone would only slow down the motion, not push back to max length. I think it's both: internal spring + air pressure like 32181c05 , maybe with the spring inside the airtank - we need a X-Ray ;D

After a few "mimimi" posting about blue pins I was curious, grey 3L pins would be nice :D

Spoiler

iit6pnei.jpg

nhp6t6g7.jpg

p2vpr3f7.jpg

4rv3of29.jpg

Edited by Gimmick

Just now, Gimmick said:

But air alone would only slow down the motion, not push back to max length. I think it's both: internal spring + air pressure like 32181c05 , maybe with the spring inside the airtank - we need a X-Ray ;D

Well yeah it obviously needs a spring. You can have a narrow damping cylinder with a spring going around it

19 hours ago, zux said:

Yeah, especially now that TLG began using grown up men to advertise their recent, somewhat adult targeted, sets it is time to make a switch to adult black/grey pins.

I wanna point out that it's not only kids who benefit from the blue pins. It definitely does help adults too

51 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

an air damper like the last one in 8285.

The last air dampers were actually in 8297.

Edited by Maaboo35

5 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

I wanna point out that it's not only kids who benefit from the blue pins. It definitely does help adults too

It probably depends a lot on the size of your collection, and how well you keep it sorted. Also by necessity the parts don't come very well-sorted in the original box.

I'm pretty sure I've seen people here mention they sort parts by originating set. This also limits how much other sorting you can do.

Oh my guys, after seeing this set, i decided to buy the actual Ducati Panigale instead of Lego version, really can’t wait to start my ride.....

1 hour ago, Technicallism said:

Oh my guys, after seeing this set, i decided to buy the actual Ducati Panigale instead of Lego version, really can’t wait to start my ride.....

Looks like Ducati should be paying Lego a licencing fee :grin:

On 4/18/2020 at 6:58 PM, allanp said:

Looks like Ducati should be paying Lego a licencing fee :grin:

Makes me wonder how many extra Chirons bugatti has sold because of 42083 :P  (yes i know, 0, because they were a limited run which sold out instantly etc..)

Yes, this is good looking set, a worthy successor to the 8420 in my opinion. As others have said before, the new parts and the gearbox are very nice to have. I can forgive the unrealistically huge range of movement of the gear selector and the fact that the chain runs outside the swingarm. The limitations of Technic would not allow for many other stable solutions.

However, there are two features that I'm not too sure about: First is the resemblance to the real Ducatti:

tn_Montaggi%20tre-quarti_818_jpg.jpg

The side by side image (bigger version at Brickset) shows that the nose is a bit too high, the headlights lack the characteristic shape and the paneling should start closer to the front wheel for that typical stance. I think that even within the Technic limitations this could be improved and I guess some MODs will.

The second is the lack of multiple attachment points on the grey side of the new dampers. I would like to have seen at least one extra hole in the longitudinal direction to mount a break caliper, fenders or even to use the damper in the right side up orientation as is the case in many older motorcycles (The Ducatti an many modern motorcycles have a so-called upside down fork). This would also increase the possibilities for other applications like door locks, car suspension components, etc.

Anyway, I think I will get this set, possibly even a second for the parts to complete other motorcylce MOCs.

1 hour ago, Cumulonimbus said:

I would like to have seen at least one extra hole in the longitudinal direction

As that wheel axle mount seems something removable, most probably it will be possible to put something on that shock absorber. Of course, shock absorber travel then will be limited.

17 minutes ago, Jurss said:

As that wheel axle mount seems something removable, most probably it will be possible to put something on that shock absorber. Of course, shock absorber travel then will be limited.

42107_alt5.jpg

Indeed, in this picture it looks like that clips together. 

That opens a possibility to 3D print a new fork lower complete with Brembo radial mounted billet calipers and maybe even a mudguard - I can't imagine how you'd brick-build a mudguard to fit that gap.

Edited by amorti

2 hours ago, amorti said:

I can't imagine how you'd brick-build a mudguard to fit that gap

But where would you connect the mudguard to?

Something like this

800x758.jpg

Only issue, that it will stay in place just because of gravity. 

If you are going to 3D print anyways, you might as well make a muguard with integrated Shock ends as one piece.

52 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

If you are going to 3D print anyways, you might as well make a muguard with integrated Shock ends as one piece.

+1

I meant the same. If you're making new bottoms with calipers you could make it with mudguard. You could also make it with studs to mount a mudguard but why bother if Lego doesn't have one and you can't brick build one.

59 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Something like this

800x758.jpg

Only issue, that it will stay in place just because of gravity. 

You could use two thin 2L liftarms instead of the 3L on the fork.