Sign in to follow this  
blakeatron

The most technical technic set?

Ive dipped in and out of lego for my entire life and have a fair collection - mainly star wars and technic.

The last wave of new sets have done nothing for me, and not really finding any enjoyment from them anymore - the chiron was fun, but felt too similar to the gt3!

What have you found to be the most challangine build either MOC or Lego? Just feel i need something to ignite the spark again!

Well, building sets is just a matter of following the instructions, so, for most of us, that's not "challenging". It can be relaxing, it can be rewarding, it can be a learning experience and a whole lot of other things, but I don't see it as challenging.

If you want challenge, see if you can make your own models :) Or if that's a step too high, try modifying an existing set. If you don't have a collection, try creating C models from a single set, or try modifying the official B-model.

As for the most technical sets, I have bought very few Technic sets lately (about one large set per year) but from the looks of it, 42043 is the most technical recent set. Not sure it's still for sale though. 42070 is also quite functional, but too expensive and rather ugly (and lacking suspension)...

From a few years earlier, I found the Unimog 8110 to be a very fun build as well.

Edited by Erik Leppen

why not try your hand at building some GBC - Great Ball Contraptions?

There are plenty of advanced ones - particularly the Akiyuki ones

It's a challenge to not only build something (even if you are following instructions), but to run it, and tweak/adjust it, so it performs a real-life-function, reliably (in this case, just passing balls along).. but it's sometimes harder than you think!

Otherwise, maybe just head over to rebrickable.com, and browse all the mocs available there, for one that sparks some interest!

17 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

Well, building sets is just a matter of following the instructions, so, for most of us, that's not "challenging". It can be relaxing, it can be rewarding, it can be a learning experience and a whole lot of other things, but I don't see it as challenging.

This might appear a little off-topic but this comment here is the exact reason why I fail to understand all the complaining about official sets by adults who often have professional training either in engineering or similar discipline.  It is like someone trained to understand the nuances of a supercar complaining about the lack of xx in a Ford Focus.  Target population of a Ford Focus is certainly not someone in the market for a supercar. 

So, just like Erik mentioned, I think all approaches to building official sets need to begin with this in mind, especially given that the target audience for this site typically is someone with not only vast amounts of experience building with Lego, but may even have a professional degree in either engineering or some related field. 

That being said - I missed out on anything prior to 2011.  After 2011, the "most technical" sets I think are the unimog and the Arocs. 

Edited by nerdsforprez

One of the most technical MOCs should be the Ball factory by akiyuky. Very challenging, especially in regards of timing. 

Just look for it on Youtube. 

I agree with Erik and nerdsforprez. 
Following instructions is not challenging. Why would you look for a challenge in a book of solution? 

Create your own challenge and build a moc. Do as i do, figure out what you want to do at that given time.. Think of ways to make it more complicated. Try to make it as small as possible.. Now that's challenging. 
But the payoff is huge when you manage to figure out a simple, yet effective solution. 

12 hours ago, blakeatron said:

What have you found to be the most challangine build...

For me it's anything with more than two pieces :sweet: 

Edited by grum64

Sheepos land rover defender might be considered a challenge. The instructions are great but I found some fine tuning is required. In terms of sets, there's two that come to mind. The 8480 space shuttle and 42009 crane because they have to be built perfectly for their functions to work, especially 42009. For example, Lego axles are usually not perfectly straight. For 42009 I built a simple axle tester, it was just 8 1x2 technic bricks sandwiched between two 2x8 regular bricks, leaving me with an 8 stud long hole. If an axle falls through it without any resistance it went in 42009. I tested every axle before using it  in 42009. You'd be surprised how many perfectly fine looking axles and even new axles didn't pass that test. By doing this and being sure to space gears and bushings on axles correctly to allow everything to move freely I found that everything worked.....just. Maybe axles get slightly bent when contained in a box full of parts. I don't remember having this issue back when we had the yellow plastic inner trays. 8480 isn't challenging but I find it takes longer to build than other sets with similar piece counts and it's a great build. But like others have said, following simple step by step instructions isn't challenging for those of us who have built a few hundred or so Technic sets, and can't really expect it to be. I would assume the Chiron's 16+ age rating is likely for 16 year olds who haven't built a Technic set before. Still no excuse for the tastless colour choices though, blue and red gears? Orange wave selector? C'mon man! :grin:

Personally I don't buy LEGO sets due the cost and because I find them too easy. I like searching online for something I want to build then deciding on the specifications I want it to have and then attempting to build it.
For example my current model, I decided to build a artic lorry (semi truck) able to pull multiple trailers, I then looked around online for LEGO models other people have built to draw inspiration from and then incorporated all the features I wanted into my model while leaving out the features I didn't want. E.g. the gearbox was designed by @Sariel, the cab shell was taken from Brickshelf user pipasseyoyo as well as the drive motor location and a similar 0° steering offset design. The result is a model that is by far the most complex and the most challenging model to get right I have ever built.

It depends on what model you want to build and what type of things you like, be it cars, lorries, cranes, diggers, tractors, helicoptors, mechanical machines ect. The great thing with LEGO is that you can make almost anything and make it as simple or as complex as you want. Decide on what you want to build, look online for how that machine is built in the real world then look to see if anyone has built it with LEGO and then decide on how you can improve on it or make it in a unique way.

Edited by MxWinters

Interesting discussion!  Building official sets its not really something I find challenging, it is certainly something I enjoy.  I find it quite relaxing, and I am sometimes quite amazed by the ingenious constructions that the designers come up with.  But yes, if you want real challenge and fulfillment, design you own models, ideally of something that has never been done before! :sweet:

If you want technical, go for sets with lots of functions. 

8455 Backhoe was a real blast when I was young, so many functions, very complex too.

9396 Rescue Helicopter has quite a few functions in both models. Also it's something different than your regular old supercar

42054 Claas Xerion 5000 had some great surprises for me. On the outside, nothing special, but the way you change between 3 driving modes is so cool

42055 Bucket Wheel Excavator is a great set. With it's size comes many gears. Lots and lots of gears, and mostly densely packed. It's a very fun and challenging build.

There are other sets that I'm really fond of, but none which have a very "technical" aspect to them. 

Kinda like 8466 4x4 Off Roader, great set, looks amazing, fantastic B-model and great playability. I spent weeks with that set when I first got it, I even carried the instructions around with me as bedtime reading, haha.

But in all seriousnes, you should look at older sets for technical aspects as back then, it was more about playability and functions rather than big part counts

The Arocs is a great set, and you can still get it at retail price from walmart.com. It has a large number of functions and a great set overall

On 1/3/2019 at 12:30 AM, allanp said:

For 42009 I built a simple axle tester, it was just 8 1x2 technic bricks sandwiched between two 2x8 regular bricks, leaving me with an 8 stud long hole. If an axle falls through it without any resistance it went in 42009. I tested every axle before using it  in 42009. You'd be surprised how many perfectly fine looking axles and even new axles didn't pass that test.

ok.. that is a great idea that I'm stealing!  sick of eyeballing axles, to find the straightest of the straight! :)

I would say the 8258 Crane Truck would be a very good candidate for the most technical technic set. And maybe 8043 Excavator ? Both are very complex sets and the gearbox in indeed technical in both sets.

On 1/2/2019 at 1:59 PM, MxWinters said:

because I find them too easy

Technical and difficult aren't the same thing in this context.. all sets come with instructions, so by and large aren't difficult to build, but that doesn't mean they're not technical.

I totally agree that building your own moc, is the most difficult discipline (providing its something tricky you're trying to build), but equally it could be less technical than an easy to build set, its just difficult because you have no instructions.. just a thunk!

On 1/4/2019 at 12:37 AM, RohanBeckett said:

sick of eyeballing axles, to find the straightest of the straight! :)

didn't know that was a 'thing' :grin:  If its hopelessly banana'd i'll discard, but other than that i never check... maybe i should start!

I actually think some of the most challenging sets are the old studded ones from the 80's/90's 

Sets like Air Claw Rig and Space Shuttle, there were errors in the instructions (from memory), some steps you had to add like 20 bricks on a single step.  They did not always clearly show you where the bricks had to go, you had to use some real thought during the assembly process unlike todays sets where you have 20 actual sized images and steps in order to add 20 bricks onto the model!