efferman

42096 Porsche 911 RSR Mods and improvements

A very simple mod I did, immediately after I completed the build. Concerning the blue pins on the black part under the doors the running boards or steps whatever they are called. I simply capped them off with 1x smooth plates. It looks much better to me, although it does make the final width slightly enlarged. I did try cheese slopes too but didn't really care for the end result. 

On 2/3/2019 at 2:10 AM, efferman said:

I have made a set of Wheelcovers

39985697733_d63c918a7d_c.jpg

39985698553_442665afd1_c.jpg

Those look better and I assume they snap on to the lego wheels?   I am finishing the 42056 now and was considering the  RSR but couldn't quite get over the wheels and the headlights. 

2 hours ago, efferman said:

They fit exactly into the rims.

That’s good to hear. They look great.

For the life of me I don’t know why LEGO chose to equip the Bugatti with rims that stand proud of the tyres. Did they learn nothing from the 8671 Ferrari 430 Spider which had the same problem albeit with its wheel covers.

Edited by grum64

3 hours ago, drodg said:

Those look better and I assume they snap on to the lego wheels?   I am finishing the 42056 now and was considering the  RSR but couldn't quite get over the wheels and the headlights. 

Thanks and they do look good. 

Thanks @efferman for the LXF-file. I used it for my Porsche too. But I did another MOD on the front bumper. I changed the position of the 1/4 circle gear rack 11x11 one stud back.  Now it looks much better for me.

46070849575_84dc7477ea_c.jpgPorsche_Mod_4, on Flickr

46070851665_52cb9a50e7_c.jpgPorsche_Mod_2, on Flickr

The second MOD is the HOG. I transfer the simple steering concept from 42077 and now I can controll my Porsche from the roof.

46984767841_e3ea3737b0_c.jpgPorsche_Mod_3, on Flickr

40019910403_2b131c714d_c.jpgPorsche_Mod_1, on Flickr

Hi there! My first post... Nice forum, saw some really nice things and as a new afol registered to share some of my findings. 

Sroll down for the rsr pics but a short intoduction: the last set i bought up to 3 months ago was the 8094 controll center when i was 15. All lego went through the entire family (32 kids) and 50kg of lego depleted to a louzy 2....

So returning in my hobby when i was a kid (seems its perfectly socially accepted to go with lego once hou have children)  I bought the bwe (awesome and a great part pack) and now the porche rsr :) oh and the rc stunt unit wich i only boucht for the power functions.

However, the rsr looks great but somehow it never feels finished.

Work done:

Pure black/white, allthough one part (front nose is grey, ran out of black.... my ocd hates me for it)

rc, for wich i had to leave out the engine (look at it as the rsr has gone rsr-e, electric xl motor where the flat 6 was...) havnt got a servo yet. So I solved with a L-motor and 2 rubber bands to keep it in a straight line.

Got rid of the paint. I like to moc it up, so dont want to be bound on certain collours. Made a crappy tutorrial vid to do so if some one is interrested.

Got problems with the 0.1mb photo limit, uploaded here:

https://m.imgur.com/a/S6syHyU

4 hours ago, c2h5oh said:

Got rid of the paint.

I suppose you mean removing the print on the white wheel arches. Yes, we want to know more about it !

13 hours ago, iLego said:

I suppose you mean removing the print on the white wheel arches. Yes, we want to know more about it !

Forgot to mention in the vid: make sure to be in a good ventilated area. And for the arches with more paint, take more steps. Rinse it of in between or it eats the lego and it wil get really ugly. On the video you can see the edges of where the paint was, repeat to also remove these.

Edited by c2h5oh

Hm...now I can buy this set and use it as a parts pack for one truck that I plan to make ... and I need one  black connector 

Thanks for idea

10 hours ago, c2h5oh said:

Forgot to mention in the vid: make sure to be in a good ventilated area. And for the arches with more paint, take more steps. Rinse it of in between or it eats the lego and it wil get really ugly. On the video you can see the edges of where the paint was, repeat to also remove these.

Thanks for the tip. It seems amazingly fast and effective !

How difficult do you think it would be to create this at the same scale as the original porche and bugatti? This car being slightly smaller is bothering me. 

30 minutes ago, Goldenmasamune said:

How difficult do you think it would be to create this at the same scale as the original porche and bugatti? This car being slightly smaller is bothering me. 

Difficulty... i guess pretty hard. Besides upscaling the whole chassis its not solved by just using bigger wheels. (Most people think theyre to small allready) but then you also need bigger wheel aches and i dont know if they come in white.

Id love to see someone do it though :)

Hey guys, check out my rsr in the same scale as the original porsche. If you like it, drop me a follow @hitekniklg (instagram). More shots of the rsr there :)

883EDD81-A671-4982-AB33-57E97ED132DA.jpeg

@Hitekniklg you are not supposed promote exterior links or ask supports or likes on this forum.

whatever, You could post all your pictures here, as your job sounds very interesting.

Does anyone have any progress on this? I just got given this set, and any cool mods worth doing while building would be very welcome.

Hi guys, I just got this set last week and finished the build yesterday. I really like the mods here, will surely apply them. 

I have a few more things I changed: 

- Don't like the look of blue pins on the black body parts, so changed them in these areas: sideskirts, where the small black tubes are fit onto the pins to create curves (front and rear), as much as possible anywhere else

- Don't like the way the whale tail in the rear connects to the body, but this fix was really easy: where the small #21 & # 22 fins connect to the body: remove both pins and just let the fins hang freely. They automatically follow  the curvature of the body. Next, insert both pins onto the lowest free holes in the spoilermount-arms. The lid will close a bit higher, but still nicely aligns with the body and the whale tail. As a finishing touch, I also flipped the pins with ball ends upside down so they're no longer visible. 

- The grey axles in the centres of the rear lights look off, replaced them with 2L red ones, looks a lot better. 

I will try to post pictures of these small mods and others as soon as possible. Keep the suggestions coming! :)

Sorry, i dont have made a part list for the mods and except of suction excavators i dont make builds for customers. I hate Deadlines.

Hello,

although i like this set, its design has some flaws. One of it are the wheels which are way too small for a model in this size. So i did some minor changings while builing this set. I moved the grey 5x7 2 studs to the front, and dettached the black1x7. Everything else is build as given in the instructions

48043893102_5edb3b05e3_c.jpg

One attempt was to take the wheels from the 42056 Porsche GT3 RS, but it didn´t work out because these wheels are too wide. I couldn´t assemble them in the back because they collided with the body, on the front axle i could assemble them, but the steering had no room.

The secound attmempt was to use the original rims but with other tyres. I used the tyres from the 8880 which  i already used for my NASCAR MOC (i know it´s ugly as hell, it will be rebuild sometime in the future).

Front:

48043804251_0c3b5bb432_c.jpg

Back:

48043835933_35d17520ce_c.jpg

Full:

48043904708_f7b052ff89_c.jpg

As you see, the wheelhouses are filled, nevertheless the steering and the suspension have enough room to work. The tyres are (in the diameter) slightly larger than the rims, but they ´ll fit.

I think it looks great in this shape, way better than with the smaller trolley-wheels. :)

Edited by Steinbeisserheld

i agree with Steinbeisserheld,

It has some flaws but i'm not too much into his moc though, looks like an off-road porsche to me. Once lowered, i can deal with the wheels. I work on a rewamp of the front. Still a long shot though! 

62104465-2303565443244290-28761604851100

62245839-2303565179910983-49169853462326

62445345-2303565236577644-37361046095512

Edited by Kaydash

40 minutes ago, Kaydash said:

Once lowered, i can deal with the wheels.

Looking good! Interesting to see the final results. :)

I might build this thing if (when) non printed fender panels are introduced.

8 hours ago, Steinbeisserheld said:

The secound attmempt was to use the original rims but with other tyres. I used the tyres from the 8880 which  i already used for my NASCAR MOC (i know it´s ugly as hell, it will be rebuild sometime in the future)

You could try to use the larger porsche wheels but move the suspention on the wishbone end up 1 hole. This will increase the ride height but allow for more room under the wheel arch.