Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2019 Set Discussion - READ FIRST POST!!!

I really thought about purchasing the Tantive IV set - which means something since I don't buy SW sets anymore for years.

But after watching the first review online I'm quite disappointed. The underside should basically mirror the upper hull but it is soo flat. Like if you see the ship from the side it looks like 20 % of the underside has been cut off - completely flat. There are also lots of off colours and big gaps visible on sides from certain angles - similar to the "big" cruiser of Rebels S2. Easy to mod, but still a downer.

I don't even criticize it, most people probably wouldn't care about such details. But for a $200 set I don't want to waste like another 50 for modification parts.

15 hours ago, Reaper said:

I don't think so, the only reason the older ones appeared in the snowspeeder is because the newer ones dont fit in the current design and TLG was too lazy to make a new design.

With all the new stormtrooper helmet moulds coming out I'm sure the new rebel pilot helmet will be used in some other set.

14 hours ago, AfolFree said:

Well, "everyone"  is an overstatement sure, but the point remains. It's fun to see how people react to every announcement :

• re-release ? damn, do something original
  • no re-release ? Lego is siding with speculators !
  • 2 UCS a year ? my wallet  won't survive this (ok, this one is actually positive in a way)
  • Big playset labelled UCS ? Meh, it's a playset why label it UCS
  • Big playset NOT labelled UCS ? Meh, they should have gone the extra mile and made it a true UCS

And so on :)

I'm not saying Lego is perfect by any means, but in my personal experience, I think they are doing quite well with the balance between big and small sets, playsets and display sets and so on. They have a very, very diversified customer base for Star Wars alone, which is both a blessing and a big challenge.

I just wish people would judge sets for what they are : this Tantive IV is a playset. As such I can understand people criticizing the low number of minifigs, or even the scale of it, which leads to its price. But I really don't get why we hear about UCS on every big set. If anything, I believe it's a good thing if Lego finally uses the UCS label only on sets that are truly meant for that purpose (which would be subject to debate in itself, I know.)

Thank you. I feel like the only thing lego could do to make some of these AFOLS happy is making sets so cheap they'd lose money and having all of them be 501st battlepacks.

12 hours ago, Markalus said:

The article specifically mentions a small AT-AT, snowspeeder and shield generator but does not indicate a minifig is included. I will reserve judgment until we see pics, it could go either way. I’m quietly hoping it’s enough for me to pull the trigger on the Tantive IV though.

Same here

7 hours ago, ChiefPie said:

Sounds interesting. I’ll have to check it out! Just found a video of it and it’s crazy he actually unawarely announced it.

Well Alden said he was signed on for 3 solo movies, so you never know when someone's going to slip.

10 hours ago, TheNerdyOne_ said:

Quite a number of people in this thread have expressed disappointment that the cockpit isn't brickbuilt.

Stickers are an issue, but not a big of one to justify so many complaints about the entire set, most of the ones I'm referring to were made before we even knew that the cockpit used stickers.

I mean they were clearly visible as stickers in the very first leaked image we got... Plus there was only a day between that image and the official reveal.

Still, I think the whole crusade against stickers is pretty misguided a lot of the time. The point of Lego is that the parts can be used to build whatever you want, and that kinda goes down the drain with extensive printing. Can you imagine how many fewer curved slopes we'd have available if speed champions were all printed, for example?

Edited by Magmafrost

Besides, if the cockpit parts for 75244 were printed, they would end up being mostly white printed on trans-black.  We all know that Lego is very bad at that kind of printing.  I'd rather have black windows printed on white cones, but I'd rather have stickers on white cones than white printing on a transparent cone.

18 hours ago, AfolFree said:

Well, "everyone"  is an overstatement sure, but the point remains. It's fun to see how people react to every announcement :

• re-release ? damn, do something original
  • no re-release ? Lego is siding with speculators !
  • 2 UCS a year ? my wallet  won't survive this (ok, this one is actually positive in a way)
  • Big playset labelled UCS ? Meh, it's a playset why label it UCS
  • Big playset NOT labelled UCS ? Meh, they should have gone the extra mile and made it a true UCS

And so on :)

I'm not saying Lego is perfect by any means, but in my personal experience, I think they are doing quite well with the balance between big and small sets, playsets and display sets and so on. They have a very, very diversified customer base for Star Wars alone, which is both a blessing and a big challenge.

I just wish people would judge sets for what they are : this Tantive IV is a playset. As such I can understand people criticizing the low number of minifigs, or even the scale of it, which leads to its price. But I really don't get why we hear about UCS on every big set. If anything, I believe it's a good thing if Lego finally uses the UCS label only on sets that are truly meant for that purpose (which would be subject to debate in itself, I know.)

Uhm, your 'no rerelease' point is kinda clutching at straws and isn't a point at all. As for the rest, so what? Not everyone reacts that way, it's pretty arrow minded to assume as such, or to assume as such that 'nearly everyone' or 'most of' or some other similar connotation. 

I'd also like to point out that TLG bring out an awful LOT of playsets in a single year. They also bring out pretty decent large and expensive playsets such as the millennium falcon, various ATAT walkers etc. Adults, you know, the majority of people who actually purchase the sets and who are also fans, for the past many years now, have had some sort of UCS set released either once or twice a year. That's fine, as they are typically expensive. 

So I see no reason why people should be subjugated to 'why you whining for' posts such as yours when there are already a crap ton of play sets meant for kids and adults slots are only twice a year, to have one of them be taken over by what is essentially a similarly priced-to-ucs play set. 

I could quite easily apply your own logic to your own opinion of wanting people to essentially I'm a moron and accept it's a playset... But, I understand people have different expectations due to longstanding traditions set by TLG themselves, tastes, opinions, etc. 

1 hour ago, Magmafrost said:

I mean they were clearly visible as stickers in the very first leaked image we got... Plus there was only a day between that image and the official reveal.

Still, I think the whole crusade against stickers is pretty misguided a lot of the time. The point of Lego is that the parts can be used to build whatever you want, and that kinda goes down the drain with extensive printing. Can you imagine how many fewer curved slopes we'd have available if speed champions were all printed, for example?

True. I don't like having to put on large stickers, but that's mostly due to my inability to put them on right. It keeps costs lower, makes it possible to get more parts as you said, and produces roughly the same effect as printing. As to the complaints that the cockpit should have been brick built, leo couldn't really have kept it at that size and still had interior space if it was brick built. And lego always has cockpits in their ships, with the only exception I can think of being star destroyers. 

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

Uhm, your 'no rerelease' point is kinda clutching at straws and isn't a point at all. As for the rest, so what? Not everyone reacts that way, it's pretty arrow minded to assume as such, or to assume as such that 'nearly everyone' or 'most of' or some other similar connotation. 

I'd also like to point out that TLG bring out an awful LOT of playsets in a single year. They also bring out pretty decent large and expensive playsets such as the millennium falcon, various ATAT walkers etc. Adults, you know, the majority of people who actually purchase the sets and who are also fans, for the past many years now, have had some sort of UCS set released either once or twice a year. That's fine, as they are typically expensive. 

So I see no reason why people should be subjugated to 'why you whining for' posts such as yours when there are already a crap ton of play sets meant for kids and adults slots are only twice a year, to have one of them be taken over by what is essentially a similarly priced-to-ucs play set. 

I could quite easily apply your own logic to your own opinion of wanting people to essentially I'm a moron and accept it's a playset... But, I understand people have different expectations due to longstanding traditions set by TLG themselves, tastes, opinions, etc. 

The majority of people who purchase the sets are children, or adults for their children. We make up a very small portion of their customers, and appealing solely to us will hurt their profits. And I see no reason why you see no reason that people cannot express their annoyance at lego fans always finding something to gripe about. "adult slots" don't exist, UCS is targeted to collecters and adults as well as children, sure, but assault on hoth is the exception, not the rule, and the MBS was created to deal with complaints that it "wasn't UCS"

Edited by Mandalorianknight

49 minutes ago, Mandalorianknight said:

True. I don't like having to put on large stickers, but that's mostly due to my inability to put them on right. It keeps costs lower, makes it possible to get more parts as you said, and produces roughly the same effect as printing. As to the complaints that the cockpit should have been brick built, leo couldn't really have kept it at that size and still had interior space if it was brick built. And lego always has cockpits in their ships, with the only exception I can think of being star destroyers. 

The majority of people who purchase the sets are children, or adults for their children. We make up a very small portion of their customers, and appealing solely to us will hurt their profits. And I see no reason why you see no reason that people cannot express their annoyance at lego fans always finding something to gripe about. "adult slots" don't exist, UCS is targeted to collecters and adults as well as children, sure, but assault on hoth is the exception, not the rule, and the MBS was created to deal with complaints that it "wasn't UCS"

They're not appealing 'solely' to us, they're appealing to the more mature audience that have no value in playsets but fully appreciate display sets. 
FYI, it'll be mostly adults that PAY for the more expensive sets, if not indirectly due to 'pocket money'/presents etc, and it'll likely draw them in to being more open to doing so (buying the more expensive sets) if for those older people that also like Lego have something they can connect with for themselves. Sure, there's also those that like to build with their children regardless what it is, but there is no doubt at all that there is a certain draw that is satisfactory and justified enough to do substantial display sets once or twice a year, when you have a £650 display set released a year and a half ago as an example. To take away something that a fair amount of the mature audience prefer (i say prefer, not 'must have instead of') so the wait is now yearly for a decent display set. It was hurting no one having two UCS sets a year, the lower age bracket people that prefer play sets have more than enough choice. It's a perfectly valid frustration when 2 choices per year is reduced to one for some.

There is always going to be gripes in ANY age bracket. Kids gripes will be less picky undoubtedly, but there will always be gripes, so to throw what could easily be seen as a perfectly valid gripe, as 'wtf you gripe for' around is a bit tactless to say the least.

Ugh... adult slots... it was a manner of expression, don't be pedantic, you get what my point was meant to be saying.

12 minutes ago, Invincible_LEGOMAN said:

Is there still to be rumors for sets based of the mandalorian coming out? 

There's never been any kind of definite rumor about that. Sets from Episode IX are confirmed (I think? Is that last list of sets final?) and there are a couple of sets that aren't definitely known yet, which might be more E9, The Mando, Jedi: Fallen Order, or something else.

4 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

It depends on what type of set it is. If it's a speed champions sets then it is tipically aimed for children to play with, unlike the Tantive, which only a few kids can afford. It is more of a display/playset and darn expensive. Using stickers instead of prints does not justify the price.

The free Lego Make & Take Tantive IV to celebrate May 4th weekend includes a stand for display but the 1700+ piece, $200 USD one doesn’t. Go figure...

2 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

They're not appealing 'solely' to us, they're appealing to the more mature audience that have no value in playsets but fully appreciate display sets. 
FYI, it'll be mostly adults that PAY for the more expensive sets, if not indirectly due to 'pocket money'/presents etc, and it'll likely draw them in to being more open to doing so (buying the more expensive sets) if for those older people that also like Lego have something they can connect with for themselves. Sure, there's also those that like to build with their children regardless what it is, but there is no doubt at all that there is a certain draw that is satisfactory and justified enough to do substantial display sets once or twice a year, when you have a £650 display set released a year and a half ago as an example. To take away something that a fair amount of the mature audience prefer (i say prefer, not 'must have instead of') so the wait is now yearly for a decent display set. It was hurting no one having two UCS sets a year, the lower age bracket people that prefer play sets have more than enough choice. It's a perfectly valid frustration when 2 choices per year is reduced to one for some.

There is always going to be gripes in ANY age bracket. Kids gripes will be less picky undoubtedly, but there will always be gripes, so to throw what could easily be seen as a perfectly valid gripe, as 'wtf you gripe for' around is a bit tactless to say the least.

Ugh... adult slots... it was a manner of expression, don't be pedantic, you get what my point was meant to be saying.

First, let me apologize if I offended anyone here. When I say "it's fun to see", I mean it exactly that way : the variety of opinions expressed on this forum (and everywhere on the internet) is always very interesting and, in my opinion, perfectly shows the impossible task that a brand like Lego is facing when releasing a product. Which makes their job even more interesting imo ;)

Also, about the "no rerelease part" you don't have to dig very far to see a number of people complaining about any form of exclusivity that leads to speculation, most recent exemple being the Darth Vader Bust, for example. Again, I'm not here to deny those people the right to complain, I'm just saying this opinion is the direct opposite of the very principle of being a collector, which brings me back to the fact that even among AFOLs, everyone doesn't have the same expectations for Lego.

Even with MOCs, mind you, some people are actually ready to sacrifice accuracy for interiors, which are, in their own right, play features.

So no, and this is my personal opinion, I don't think Lego would be better off by making better looking sets to appeal for both adults and kids. We will see how the 4+ line performs for example, but in my opinion it is a perfectly good idea from TLG, even though I hate how those sets looks and would never buy them for myself. My kid ? too young to tell. But if she wanted a 4+ X-Wing, I believe I would be ok with that, just because it might lead her to like Lego later.

In fact, I think the whole "make more detailed/accurate/big" sets trend that Lego has followed the past few years has been mainly to address adult fans, and I believe it is a flawed approach. UCS sets excluded, because that IS actually what this line of product is for, adding more details and being more accurate only lead playsets to be smaller, more expensive and frequently include less play features for the same part count. Wait, a big detailed accurate playset that can appeal both adults and kids ? Tantive IV in a nutshell !

Again, no offense to you, but TLG is better off making toys targeted at kids because it is their job, and occasionally release sets explicitly targeted and taylored for AFOLs. Both dont have the same goals and looking at a playset with adults expectations is exactly like looking at the UCS falcon and criticizing its swooshability.

8 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

Again, I'd ask what collectors are meant to do once the stickers age and fail. The model will look ridiculous with no cockpit and a plain white front. No-one is suggesting that all stickers should be abandoned in favour of prints. But stickers don't last, so they really shouldn't be used for essential details where the model would look terrible without them.

8 hours ago, icm said:

Besides, if the cockpit parts for 75244 were printed, they would end up being mostly white printed on trans-black.  We all know that Lego is very bad at that kind of printing.  I'd rather have black windows printed on white cones, but I'd rather have stickers on white cones than white printing on a transparent cone.

Yes, the last Tantive IV tried printing opaque colours onto transparent cones, and while passable (and much better than stickers IMO) it didn't work particularly well. Still, I think Lego have really messed this one up by using stickers instead of prints. For NZ$400 I would expect a set that can outlast its perishable stickers.

2 hours ago, AfolFree said:

First, let me apologize if I offended anyone here. When I say "it's fun to see", I mean it exactly that way : the variety of opinions expressed on this forum (and everywhere on the internet) is always very interesting and, in my opinion, perfectly shows the impossible task that a brand like Lego is facing when releasing a product. Which makes their job even more interesting imo ;)

Also, about the "no rerelease part" you don't have to dig very far to see a number of people complaining about any form of exclusivity that leads to speculation, most recent exemple being the Darth Vader Bust, for example. Again, I'm not here to deny those people the right to complain, I'm just saying this opinion is the direct opposite of the very principle of being a collector, which brings me back to the fact that even among AFOLs, everyone doesn't have the same expectations for Lego.

Even with MOCs, mind you, some people are actually ready to sacrifice accuracy for interiors, which are, in their own right, play features.

So no, and this is my personal opinion, I don't think Lego would be better off by making better looking sets to appeal for both adults and kids. We will see how the 4+ line performs for example, but in my opinion it is a perfectly good idea from TLG, even though I hate how those sets looks and would never buy them for myself. My kid ? too young to tell. But if she wanted a 4+ X-Wing, I believe I would be ok with that, just because it might lead her to like Lego later.

In fact, I think the whole "make more detailed/accurate/big" sets trend that Lego has followed the past few years has been mainly to address adult fans, and I believe it is a flawed approach. UCS sets excluded, because that IS actually what this line of product is for, adding more details and being more accurate only lead playsets to be smaller, more expensive and frequently include less play features for the same part count. Wait, a big detailed accurate playset that can appeal both adults and kids ? Tantive IV in a nutshell !

Again, no offense to you, but TLG is better off making toys targeted at kids because it is their job, and occasionally release sets explicitly targeted and taylored for AFOLs. Both dont have the same goals and looking at a playset with adults expectations is exactly like looking at the UCS falcon and criticizing its swooshability.

Of course ,you are right, but when someone is dissapointed, you don't always think logically. I like the Tantive, but instead felt exactly like this when lego introduced the 4+ and Hoth/Endor gameisch playsets, but of course I do understand lego, they want to experience with their product to expend their market or just to try something new for the sake of. And I think we just have to except that they will not always keep a red thread, there will change their content of products for a number of reasons and apperantly for now they don't think two UCS a year is the right way to go for them.

6 hours ago, Kdapt-Preacher said:

There's never been any kind of definite rumor about that. Sets from Episode IX are confirmed (I think? Is that last list of sets final?) and there are a couple of sets that aren't definitely known yet, which might be more E9, The Mando, Jedi: Fallen Order, or something else.

Don't forget Resistance sets as well, are also pretty likely, especially considering how many sets Clone Wars and Rebels got. But it will be interesting here to see which way TLG will go, when there are one new movie and three ongoing series. What will the sacrifice or would they actually increase the number of SW sets given out each year? Not likely, but one can always hope for the last.

Printed half cones...i can see ruinous prices on brick link in a few years. Maybe the aftermarket will take care like with the printed hallways of the UCS MF.

4 hours ago, cookiemonster said:

Review of the new Tantive IV

There's a very unsightly gap inbetween the engines on the Tantive IV set that I really don't like. Visible at 2:37 in the video. It's a big turn off for me.

2 hours ago, BrickMonkeyMOCs said:

Again, I'd ask what collectors are meant to do once the stickers age and fail. The model will look ridiculous with no cockpit and a plain white front. No-one is suggesting that all stickers should be abandoned in favour of prints. But stickers don't last, so they really shouldn't be used for essential details where the model would look terrible without them.

Yes, the last Tantive IV tried printing opaque colours onto transparent cones, and while passable (and much better than stickers IMO) it didn't work particularly well. Still, I think Lego have really messed this one up by using stickers instead of prints. For NZ$400 I would expect a set that can outlast its perishable stickers.

I agree with you 100%. I don't care about the other stickers, but the stickers on the cockpit define the look of the ship. They should've been a print. It pisses me off to see licensed $10 Brickheadz with a handful of exclusive prints that can barely be reused, while LEGO suggests I put stickers on a $200 (or even a $800) set.

I've purchased almost every OT Star Wars set since 2014 but I've only applied 1 sticker during that time: the grey sticker on the UCS Slave I canopy. That thing defines the look of the Slave I. It looks odd without it and it's a part that looks almost impossible to print.

A new Tantive IV was at the top of my wishlist, but I'm now in doubt of buying the set because of the stickers on the cockpit.

15 minutes ago, bountybossk said:

I agree with you 100%. I don't care about the other stickers, but the stickers on the cockpit define the look of the ship. They should've been a print. It pisses me off to see licensed $10 Brickheadz with a handful of exclusive prints that can barely be reused, while LEGO suggests I put stickers on a $200 (or even a $800) set.

I've purchased almost every OT Star Wars set since 2014 but I've only applied 1 sticker during that time: the grey sticker on the UCS Slave I canopy. That thing defines the look of the Slave I. It looks odd without it and it's a part that looks almost impossible to print.

A new Tantive IV was at the top of my wishlist, but I'm now in doubt of buying the set because of the stickers on the cockpit.

Cockpit stickers are the bane of Lego. It’s such a focal point and usually curved and/or clear. Has anyone actually asked TLG why printed pieces in inexpensive sets like Brickheadz make financial sense but are lacking in expensive sets? 

Just now, Markalus said:

Cockpit stickers are the bane of Lego. It’s such a focal point and usually curved and/or clear. Has anyone actually asked TLG why printed pieces in inexpensive sets like Brickheadz make financial sense but are lacking in expensive sets? 

As much as I agree with the sentiment of stickers vs printing here, one would imagine that printing a large cone piece must be considerably more expensive than printing the (generally small) pieces found in Brickheadz.

Personally I’ve never really had a problem with stickers or chipping and cracking over time—I have stickers from sets from over 10 years ago and they still look perfectly fine. I’ve heard all the concerns and criticisms about this set but it really hasn’t deterred me from still wanting it. I always wanted the 2009 set and it was a shame I never got it as it’s possibly my favorite ship in Star Wars. This appears to be an update in more ways than one, and I’d be thrilled to pick it up and build it, despite any cockpit stickers or interior space. I actually like having interior space just to put figures in when I’m not using them. But the set is a definite win for me, as a recent AFOL.

Does anyone have Tantive's instructions yet?
I know they're not available on Brickset, official LEGO site, etc., but still maybe?

1 hour ago, Procrastinathan said:

As much as I agree with the sentiment of stickers vs printing here, one would imagine that printing a large cone piece must be considerably more expensive than printing the (generally small) pieces found in Brickheadz.

And yet the 2009 version was printed. Has the printing process on curves really got more expensive? Maybe. I get that it could potentially cost more but for all the improvements over the previous version the stickered cockpit seems like a step backwards.

Just now, Markalus said:

And yet the 2009 version was printed. Has the printing process on curves really got more expensive? Maybe. I get that it could potentially cost more but for all the improvements over the previous version the stickered cockpit seems like a step backwards.

Indeed it was printed. Who knows if the cost has changed, but companies are always looking to reduce their costs. It isn't unreasonable to assume that the company's priorities have changed somewhat in the last 10 years - printed pieces are less and less common.

1 hour ago, Procrastinathan said:

Indeed it was printed. Who knows if the cost has changed, but companies are always looking to reduce their costs. It isn't unreasonable to assume that the company's priorities have changed somewhat in the last 10 years - printed pieces are less and less common.

Counterexample: Look at the recent Creator Expert Ford Mustang set. There they got it exactly right, so there's really no excuse for what they've done here.