3 minutes ago, keymaker said:

2 x hub with 4 ports each, no physical connection between them (in 42100)

So the hub serves as both the battery box and the signal receiver?

Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

This is my understanding based on what we know so far. Both hubs in 42100 are connected via BT to the app on smartphone. One is located in the carriage, and the second in superstructure.

AA batteries are a pain but I think there are a few reasons Lego went for them.

1 Available everywhere so good for markets outside of USA / Eurpoe

2 Lion batteries don't last for ever and would need replacing most small Lithium batteries are custom made and so replacing them in the future could be a problem, Lego would need to supply them and that's against their ethos of it always being compatible.

3 Lithium can go boom also some countries don't like you even shipping them (Lego does not want a law suite of a kid losing a finger)

Side note, the crawler will it have a servo motor or will the return to centre be done by the app?

Edited by Cardboy
Spelling

Just now, keymaker said:

Both hubs in 42100 are connected via BT to the app on smartphone.

That's possible, but if the 42100 has two hubs (each with 4 ports) and 7 motors, it's also possible that one of the first hub's outputs is used to connect to an input on the second hub, thereby daisy-chaining them. This way, a single "Master" hub would receive commands from the app and relay them to the other "Slave" hub(s).

If so, I don't think this hub would appear in non RC motorized set. Maybe the old BBox will still be employed. Doesn't make sense for TLG to make every single flagship RC. There is beauty in gearbox and drivetrain designs.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Just now, AVCampos said:

That's possible, but if the 42100 has two hubs (each with 4 ports) and 7 motors, it's also possible that one of the first hub's outputs is used to connect to an input on the second hub, thereby daisy-chaining them. This way, a single "Master" hub would receive commands from the app and relay them to the other "Slave" hub(s).

That would occupy 1 port on each hub so that only leaves 6 ports for 7 motors :wink:

I don't think there's any extra magic here. There are 2 hubs similar to the Powered Up ones just bigger to accommodate the 6 AA batteries and to have 4 ports instead of 2. Since it is Bluetooth connection the app can easily connect to 2 hubs the same time and control them. Actually it should be no problem to have 4 parallel connections (or even more), will be only limited by the application.

1 hour ago, w219 said:

If it is roughly the same size than 9398 but with 400 parts less, mechanic must be very very simple or there was a big waste with 9398. 4 wheels directed or only 2 ?

Size is comparable, maybe a little smaller.

59 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So I understand that there's a new RC hub with 8 port, is that right?

I've just thought about how common this new hub will be in future sets. Not every set is RC, and not even if it's RC not every RC is going to utilize 7 motors. So there should be another smaller hub for the 4x4 SUV. And this CONTROL+ technology is gonna appear in RC sets only. Maybe we'll get a new kind of battery box for the new motors that are gonna be used in non RC motorized set.

Only 4 ports, two hub in 42100, 1 in 42099

46 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Yes

32 minutes ago, AVCampos said:

No daisy chaining, multipoint bluetooth connection (I think, not confirmed)

22 minutes ago, kbalage said:

That would occupy 1 port on each hub so that only leaves 6 ports for 7 motors :wink:

I don't think there's any extra magic here. There are 2 hubs similar to the Powered Up ones just bigger to accommodate the 6 AA batteries and to have 4 ports instead of 2. Since it is Bluetooth connection the app can easily connect to 2 hubs the same time and control them. Actually it should be no problem to have 4 parallel connections (or even more), will be only limited by the application.

Think so

We are "talking" a lot about the hubs, but I am also interested of what kind of engines will be used. The same "M" boost motors as we have already? Or maybe engines with the same power as PF M/L/XL (in Lib XL and M, in SUV L + Servo)? I hope TLG will surprise us and motors will be at least as powerful as the older one.

Edited by blondasek

Just now, blondasek said:

We are "talking" a lot about the hubs, but I am also interested of what kind of engines will be used.

I think 42100 is gonna feature 7 equivalents of L-motors, to save cost.

Just now, blondasek said:

I hope TLG will surprise us and motors will be at least as powerful as the older one.

I don't believe a mastodon like the Liebherr would survive on PUp M motors alone, it surely requires a more powerful version. As for the servo, the current Boost one or a new one equivalent to the current PF servo are both as likely to me. Personally, I hope it's the Boost servo, as it's more versatile (can act both as a servo and as a normal motor).

@Ngoc Nguyen I really hope that it will not be a case here.. they are producing the engines for a long time already and having only one type of motors (L) + Servo from two really expensive sets will be a really big disappointment for me. @AVCampos well I do not like the new Servo, but we will see. However I really hope that Technic version of M motor will be stronger than the one from Bat.

Just now, Timoonn said:

:roflmao:

Why the laugh though? M motors are not strong enough, and XL motors are too big. Besides, to utilize the economy of scale, limiting to 1 type of motor makes sense.

In 2007, only M and XL motors were introduced in the Bulldozer. From 2008 to 2011, only those two are used. It was not until 2012 that the remaning two (L and Servo) were introduced.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

So I understand that there's a new RC hub with 8 port, is that right?

I've just thought about how common this new hub will be in future sets. Not every set is RC, and not even if it's RC not every RC is going to utilize 7 motors. So there should be another smaller hub for the 4x4 SUV. And this CONTROL+ technology is gonna appear in RC sets only. Maybe we'll get a new kind of battery box for the new motors that are gonna be used in non RC motorized set.

The 4x4 SUV uses 3 motors whereas the new hub can serve up to 4 motors.

So why doesn't TLG put the new hub in this set as well?

Just now, Yevhen said:

The 4x4 SUV uses 3 motors whereas the new hub can serve up to 4 motors.

So why doesn't TLG put the new hub in this set as well?

I was wrong then. Both 42099 and 42100 use the new 4-port hub.

1 hour ago, blondasek said:

However I really hope that Technic version of M motor will be stronger than the one from Bat.

I don't think there'll be another version of the M motor, it will be the same as we saw already. We'll need to see the new variants of the L/LX/Servo motor. I'm not sure if the Servo would be the same as the Boost one since the form factor is very different from the previous servo and it has too many studs for a Technic motor.

I think that 4x4 will have, apart from servo, two XL/L motors. But Liebherr R9800, as the biggest, the most expensive and the first with new power functions, will have at least two types of motors: XL and M. If we get lucky, even three types (all apart from servo which is not needed in this set).

Am i right in thinking the planetary gear isn't in 42100 and only in the 4x4? Hard to keep track of all the posts!

All the PU stuff in 42100, plus getting the planetary's when they come available is a moc-ers dream. Happy days! 

Sooo, did we learn what's the colour of the SUV? The only two pieces of information that I saw so far was "can't remember" (which does tell you something) and... uhm... the "flamingo" codename. Any confirmed info?

7 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

There is beauty in gearbox and drivetrain designs.

I agree, and you will have something to learn... BUT... that beauty will last only for 3 days... you will get bored, you disassembled the Gearbox at put a motor on every single function! And that's the reality! 

The suv is black or DBG, with red chassis and black wheels.

The truck is red, white a and maybe LBG, the car looks medium blue.

The crane is yellow, it looks to have the long linear actuator.

Edited by mpj
type error

As I saw, 4x4 SUV can be equipped with black or dbg wheel arches of large or mid size (42056/42096). And its more like moster truck than SUV)

Since we'll get new hubs and shafts (half-axles) it is very possible that suspension on new model is independent and shafts really strong to handle high torque