Falconfan1414

James Bond 2018

9 hours ago, J4ck said:

Wah wah wah:cry3:

The model is decent, please stop being so ungrateful, thanks.

PS isn’t that what Lego is all about, being creative? Don’t like? Change it. Or just deal with it, I don’t care, just stop the unnecessary winging. 

Oh my goodness can people stop bashing those who don’t like the Set. Yes saying ‘worst D2C’ ever is over the top. But belittling them for having an opinion is not on. Stop being ungrateful? Is criticism not allowed anymore? This is a product and it is judged as one. If anything you guys are winging about people not liking it and need to just enjoy what you enjoy and leave other to what they want to think. You don’t see those who dislike it telling you you’re wrong or are just having fake praise it because it’s Lego or something.

just respect opinions

Edited by Whovastron

Sorry, but I also am not a big fan of how the nose looks in the leaked picture. And I am sure even I could improve on it, with the right inventory. But I also understand that for Lego it's a trade-off between possibilities and cost & sturdiness, and in this case possibly also function. Who knows what's behind the nose that lead the designers to this solution? Also: things that look bad in pictures - especially when compared to the original - often tend to not be that bad when it's sitting on your building table. So, I'll wait for more pictures... and probably buy it anyway.

I mean: I also had some critisisms about the front of the Routemaster. And I still think it could have been better. But I also haven't changed anything on my set.

I just saw the picture and they should rebrand the set to a Peugeot 403. Then it would be a hit seller.

I'm not sure where or why someone should be grateful for a toy company releasing a toy. It's a 'buy if you like it' or 'don't buy if you don't like it' deal.

We're a site of adults (supposedly) who support Lego by buying their products and as such I think people have the right to express an opinion on how a set looks. If Lego are to release a DB5 then how that car looks built in Lego is the most important thing. The Beetle and Mini were excellent builds and captured the essence of both of those vehicles. As a former Mini Cooper owner I absolutely loved that build. I love how Alec Issigonis's design was translated into Lego. The classic Mini is my favourite car design ever... It never changed in 50 years of production. My favourite 'fantasy' car is the DB5. It's one of the most breathtakingly beautiful car shapes ever created and is both spectacular and understated at the same time. Having a Bond version with revolving number plates, tyre spikes etc could have been fantastic... but not at the expense of the shape of the car. 

I could buy a scale model of Slave 1... or a Snowspeeder... or build a DeAgostini Falcon if I just wanted something resembling a studio model but I have UCS Lego versions of them all because I like the Lego process and aesthetic as well as having a love of those vehicle designs. It's not just about complete accuracy. But the DB5 build, to me at least, and from the angle we've seen, doesn't give me any sense being an Aston Martin DB5. It has some of the elements such as the front grill, headlights, side vent detail, bull bar detailing on the bumper works well too... but overall shape... especially the rear end and rear side window shaping looks way off. 

I sincerely hope that it's down to the angle we've seen and a full view will make it look better. But as it stands it's not something I'd buy. I feel neither grateful nor ungrateful for that.

Edited by Robianco

I'm all for people buying whatever they want, but don't go shaming others for pointing out legitimate flaws within a model. I mean, this is not nitpicking. We're talking about the front and the side of a car (of a DB5, no less). 

--------------------

@Sinthoras Spot. On. :laugh: TLG's DB5 does justice to a Peugeot 403, with that flat front. The peculiar depth of the front of the DB5 is lost in this set, whose grill looks like it's been plastered on a wall.

Only reason I see for such a boxy shape is to easily accomodate the mechanisms of the gadgets.

TLG dropped the ball on this one. I gotta admit, while the Beetle and the Cooper were so successfully designed, they didn't have to worry about fitting gadgets in them. One has to hope the outer sacrifices in the DB5 will be justified by an intricate system of interior mechanisms. Hopefully TLG managed to fit most if not all gadgets inside 007's DB5.

Is the official reveal still going to be on the 18th? Kinda surprised to see that a set will be available for purchase the same day it is revealed.

1 hour ago, Terrasher said:

Is the official reveal still going to be on the 18th? Kinda surprised to see that a set will be available for purchase the same day it is revealed.

As far as I know yes, this seems too be the norm more and more lately. 

Honestly I don't think anyone here has issues with someone pointing out flaws or shortcomings of sets, it's more of an issue when they continually repeat themselves every three or four posts. Kind of derails the discussion. 

Myself may hate it after I see more pictures, if I do I will say so and move on. 

9 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Oh my goodness can people stop bashing those who don’t like the Set. Yes saying ‘worst D2C’ ever is over the top. 

Yeah we all know that’s reserved for insult on hoth:grin: 

41 minutes ago, KevinMD said:

Yeah we all know that’s reserved for insult on hoth:grin: 

I liked that set. :)

12 hours ago, Whovastron said:

Oh my goodness can people stop bashing those who don’t like the Set. Yes saying ‘worst D2C’ ever is over the top. But belittling them for having an opinion is not on. Stop being ungrateful? Is criticism not allowed anymore? This is a product and it is judged as one. If anything you guys are winging about people not liking it and need to just enjoy what you enjoy and leave other to what they want to think. You don’t see those who dislike it telling you you’re wrong or are just having fake praise it because it’s Lego or something.

just respect opinions

If people don’t like fair enough, but all I ever see is unnecessary winging and ungratefulness.

It may be a bit chunky, but it's better than all of the custom sets I've seen (and that is what I would expect from Lego).

The DB5 has got to be one of the worst cars to turn into Lego, it's too slick and curvy for Lego bricks. All the custom jobs have failed too. Only at the scale of Technic like the Bugatti or Porsche could you get those curves.

From what we can see from this relatively bad-quality picture, I think it's not as bad as some of you describe it… I'd say we have to see till we get pictures from all angles and especially the gadgets. I only think it's a shame we're not getting a Bond figure, but on the other hand it's consistent with the rest of the Creator Expert vehicles… It would be great to get at least a figure (Sean Connery preferably) in another set, e.g. a Speed Champions Bond series (Lotus, 2CV, DBS, DB10…).

just seen the image well I think I will wait till I can see one in the brick but I don't think I be getting one if the image is a good representation of it

12 minutes ago, Artanis I said:

:laugh:It's 'whingeing' not 'winging'

Or just whining for North Americans.

I rarely post but I've got to say I'm very disappointed with the DB5. I'm a car fanatic and love every car they've done apart from the Beetle because that one doesn't really resemble the real Beetle curves. The DB5 however looks a bit like a clown car. Build the F40 in yellow and you've still got an F40. Build the mini in blue and you've still got a mini. Build the DB5 in another colour and no one's got any idea what car it is. I honestly can't believe they're releasing this. I'm sure the curves are difficult to reproduce but then again, pick another car to do. There's plenty of other famous boxy cars out there that'll get people's attention. Kitt, A-team van, General Lee... This one is an absolute miss for me.

Oh yeah, and I don't get all the nonsense from people attacking others because they're voicing their criticism. I've got no idea how anyone could like this set but if you do I won't attack you for it either.

Edited by RNRS001

18 hours to go until the big reveal.

Cue the inevitable "discussion", which hopefully will be free of irrelevant mentions of a completely unrelated BBC sci-fi series.

Folks, it's the internet.  In this electronic landscape, people are going to state their opinions, good or bad.  If you think I'm kidding, take a look at how many pages are already filled in SW 2018 set discussion!  If you like it, awesome; feel free to state your opinion.  If you don't, then you are free to state that.  As long as the discussion is classy, then there is no problem.  When you start attacking others for their opinion, then we have an issue.  No more 'mini-modding'.  Please, do not tell other members what to do.  That's my job!  Thank you.

The box for the set leaked ahead of tomorrow’s reveal. It shows a lot of the new gadgets. It’s a really cool looking car only way it could have been better is with figures 

Ejector seat, rear bulletproof shield, extending hubcap tyre shredders, front machine guns and what hopefully appears to (really hard to make out) revolving or interchangeable number plates.

3 hours ago, Falconfan1414 said:

The box for the set leaked ahead of tomorrow’s reveal. It shows a lot of the new gadgets. It’s a really cool looking car only way it could have been better is with figures 

I think this car will ultimately split the LEGO fanatics collecting cars and the car fanatics collecting LEGO, if you can't my drift? The LEGO fanatics will care for the gadgets, the car fanatics will care for the looks. I do think this is aimed at car fanatics though, which is why its so mind-boggling to me how they believe these looks will win any of them over.

2 hours ago, Lucarex said:

Ejector seat, rear bulletproof shield, extending hubcap tyre shredders, front machine guns and what hopefully appears to (really hard to make out) revolving or interchangeable number plates.

Telephone on the door too :sweet:. As with Downtown Diner, in real pictures it is so much better.

I don’t care that it doesn’t look exactly like a DB5. I don’t like James Bond. But that built is dynamite and anyone who says it’s not good enough is, quite frankly, spoilt.