I just started getting into Technic and I'm starting to buy sets both for parts and to learn some techniques. I already have the Arocs, Heavy Lift Helicopter and BMW bike, and I'm looking to buy another. I've decided on either  42054 or 42069, both of which I've found for about €105. In your opinion, which would be the better buy for me?

I don't own 42069 so I can't say much about it, but the Claas is brilliant. Lots of functions, and the steering mechanism is marvellous. I enjoyed the whole set, including the alternative attachment.

The fact that 42054 doesn't have a proper B-model is not an argument against it in this case, because the B-model of 42069 seems to me to be really bad model, function-wise.

There's also a difference of about 400 parts in favor of 42069. But things also depend on which parts you're looking for. 42069 has the suspension stuff. 42054 has cool wheels :) Both have an interesting color, but both have only a few parts in that color. But model-wise, you can't go wrong with 42054, really.

42054 for sure. I believe that you can see from my signature that there are a lot of c models... (all mine). Goes to show how much fun one can have with the set. 

Definitively the 42054. It is a real classic. It is interesting to build and there is a great C-model by @M_longer.

The 42069 is one of the few sets I own that cannot excite me despite the on paper interesting features. I think the colour is the reason. There is an interesting C-model of a helicopter where the colour works fine.

Enjoy! In the end you will end up owning both ;-)

Amazon.de has some very sharp prices on Lego Technic for the moment: 42069 for 90 EUR, 42078 for 115, 42068 for 60 EUR, etc. If you look however for the price of the 42054 you see that it explodes. Buy it while you still can!

Add me to the 42054 crowd! I have both the 42054 and 42069

But it depends on what you want, the 42054 has some really great functions both motorized and non-motorized (the steering modes). 

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

I only have 42054, but I would love to get 42069 as well.  The Claas is a fantastic set, as others have mentioned.  The ingenuity of the steering mechanism and the tires really set it apart from normal sets.  I know it came out at the same time as the BWE and Porsche, but to me it is a flagship set.  Happy building with either one you choose!

Wow, so much love for CLAAS! 42054 has been at the top of my list, but I think finding 400 more pieces for the same price is what put 42069 on my radar. Some good parts, too.

6 hours ago, WvG_853 said:

In the end you will end up owning both ;-)

Probably right ;-) And since CLAAS is retiring soon I think I'll spring for it first.

5 hours ago, Andy D said:

the 42054 has some really great functions both motorized and non-motorized (the steering modes). 

True, and PF never hurts the argument :)

Personally, i prefer 42069, especially with wheels and RC mods. Why not 42077?

42077 strikes me as being a good mid-range introductory set, but yeah it does little to please experienced AFOLs.

42054 is a superb model, plenty of parts and fantastic wheels and looks excellent as a display model when complete, and has power functions for the crane and cab

42069 is another superb model, more parts, better suspension and has interesting tracks for wheels, but 42054 IMO is the better set.  

42077 is one ugly looking car IMO, its a mid level set which is fine in its own right, but comparable to 42054 or 42069 - doesn't compare, and 42054 is about to retire so I'd 100% recommend this set

I have both of these sets. And both are worth buying and buidling. 42054 for its steering modes and motorized functions. 42069 for really, really great door mechanism and one of the best suspensions in Technic sets.

Edited by M_longer

The Claas is a really good looking and functional set with tons of useful parts and lots of support from the community in the form of C-models, attachments, etc. Plus it's available for astonishingly cheap: it's been $130 (28% off) on US Amazon for the longest time; I've been thinking of getting another one just for all the parts.

42054 IMHO. I have found one for about 100€ in one local store, so I'll buy it despite I have already 2 of them

I bought 2 of 42054 to build Madoca's tatra-813-trial-truck, the wheels are great, also 42054 has many great parts

@Doomer well come to Eurobricks forum. Yes the wheels are great refreshment in LEGO