10 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

And why is the metal hook so coveted? I'm just curious.

Just because it's realistic and also creates sufficient tension of the rope (with smaller dimensions compares to brick-built one)

15 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

And why is the metal hook so coveted? I'm just curious.

Very good solution for the string.

3 minutes ago, SilenWin said:

Just because it's realistic and also creates sufficient tension of the rope (with smaller dimensions compares to brick-built one)

True! :thumbup:

It’s the 2018 set I’m most looking forward to building. First impression when seeing the pictures: It looks a bit messy to me. I’m surprised to see that there is only one extension of the boom. Also the top telescopic part looks too thin.

2 hours ago, allanp said:

Ah, so it is 3x11 panels on the boom. I stand corrected! 

I was in the 3x11 camp for the full 100%, but then I got doubts and switched to the 5x11 camp, then to the 3x11 then back to 5x11 LoL :tongue: So it's indeed 3x11 after all. That took a while to sort out.

I like what I see guys. I'm pretty sure this set will be packed with lots of gears and interesting constructions. After a couple of miss hits (BWE, 6x6) I am convinced this set will definitely be worth it.

12 minutes ago, WvG_853 said:

It’s the 2018 set I’m most looking forward to building. First impression when seeing the pictures: It looks a bit messy to me. I’m surprised to see that there is only one extension of the boom. Also the top telescopic part looks too thin.

I feel that it is a little disappointing to see that a flagship set with 4K+ parts has only one extension of the boom. Also, the bodywork could have been better implemented.

I only hope that this is a preliminary display model from one of the toy fairs and the final production version that will be released for sale will have atleast 2 extensions of the boom and a better paneling for the body. However, if this is indeed an image of the final version then it will end up as a parts pack for most of the AFOLs.  

The display set is almost always the final version of the set. The only thing that can change is the box art. So I think it's pretty much settled that the boom is of two-stage.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

3 minutes ago, arijitdas said:

I only hope that this is a preliminary display model from one of the toy fairs and the final production version that will be released for sale will have atleast 2 extensions of the boom and a better paneling for the body.

Yeah look the odds of it being “prelim” are next to none. Adding a second extension to the boom is a huge change. What we see is what we’re gonna get, as has almost always been the case.

Ah crap, there’s a clutch gear attached to the winch. Get ready for abysmal lifting capabilities...

5 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Yeah look the odds of it being “prelim” are next to none. Adding a second extension to the boom is a huge change. What we see is what we’re gonna get, as has almost always been the case.

Ah crap, there’s a clutch gear attached to the winch. Get ready for abysmal lifting capabilities...

It'll be able to lift the building sections at least (I mean, if the box art isn't lying to us).

2 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

It'll be able to lift the building sections at least (I mean, if the box art isn't lying to us).

To be exact it is't even lifting the whole building section. It just lifts a side of the wall. If it turns out to be capable of lifting exactly only that much the box still wasn't lying :grin:

Actually, thinking about it, the clutch gear is driven from the outside, then geared down even further, so it might actually be a really tight clutch mechanism.

13 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

To be exact it is't even lifting the whole building section. It just lifts a side of the wall. If it turns out to be capable of lifting exactly only that much the box still wasn't lying :grin:

That's what I meant, the individual wall sections. If it can lift the building as a whole, then that's great as well. :laugh:

Can anyone make out what the steering gear on the back of the chassis is? It looks like a tyre! Which would give you good grip to shift those massive wheels...

Indeed it look like the wheel and tyre similar from 42084.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

Honestly, while the set looks like a great functional beast, I really do not like that panel job. It looks like patchwork. Can't wait to see all the metal hooks.

Edited by BrickbyBrickTechnic

I seems to me that the XL turntable is in DBG rather than black as most of you have been saying. However we shall have to wait until we have cleaner pictures.

Edited by arijitdas
Typo

4 minutes ago, arijitdas said:

I seems to me that the XL turntable is in DSG rather than black as most of you have been saying. However we shall have to wait until we have cleaner pictures.

You mean DBG probably? I'd say it is black and looks to be DBG because of light reflection.

OMG, it looks so beautiful. I am not interested in Chiron anymore as I used to be, because of that beast. They managed to cover the most of the gaps and holes, it looks so nice. Hopefully the functions will work smoothly!

2 hours ago, Jim said:

I was in the 3x11 camp for the full 100%, but then I got doubts and switched to the 5x11 camp, then to the 3x11 then back to 5x11 LoL :tongue: So it's indeed 3x11 after all. That took a while to sort out.

I like what I see guys. I'm pretty sure this set will be packed with lots of gears and interesting constructions. After a couple of miss hits (BWE, 6x6) I am convinced this set will definitely be worth it.

Yeah, I was switching between the two camps also, but was pretty sure at one point they were 5x11. Oh well, I'm still right about the new valve :grin:

I agree with 6x6 but surprised you felt BWE was a miss. It's not perfect with its jerky movement but it wasn't all bad, it brought us the new BWE ring gear, which gave us the new functionality of a bucket wheel and a new massive turntable, it was a new vehicle to be released as a Lego set and the models large size and part count is justified by its functions which for me doesn't seem to be the case with 42082, and I've yet to see any new parts confirmed.

15 minutes ago, allanp said:

I agree with 6x6 but surprised you felt BWE was a miss. It's not perfect with its jerky movement but it wasn't all bad...

Without straying off topic too much, I concur it wasn't all bad. I even bought an extra copy, which says enough. But the functions are just so tedious, that the final result is somewhat underwhelming. I can imagine kids being excited with the purchase, excited by the build and then....ooomph this is it?! 
Looking at the reactions online the BWE isn't a miss. Lots of people love it. My response was a bit short sighted, but it is kinda how I feel about it. You do get a lot of value for money though :thumbup:

On topic again...I am really looking forward to building this bad boy. Lot's of gears, levers, etc in the chassis and probably enough going on in the superstructure as well.

I wasn't sure when I saw the leaked box art few months back, but now I'm like hey I sorta like that.. Interesting looking model. 

Hopefully underneath loads of technical aspects to really get stuck into