23 minutes ago, aminnich said:

kinda like a worm gear

It’s an offset oval so can turn 360° And cycle back and forth

I figure 2 of these offset by 90 give same action as Porsche gearbox

23 minutes ago, aminnich said:

Anyway, looking at the gear selector, how would it be used?  To me it looks kinda like a worm gear

It's very similar to a worm gear, except the "thread" is a closed loop that has one low, one high and two medium points. When a low or high points is engaged with the gear shifter ring, one of the two red gears is driven. When the medium points are in contact with the shifter ring, neither red output gear is driven. 

The beauty of this selector is that it can be driven continuously in one direction, and will just cycle between all the states. It can also drive two gear shifter rings at the same time, allowing 4 gears with a single rotation of one shaft.

As an added bonus, the output of the gear selector shaft can be linked to a secondary mechanism (gear indicator dial, spoiler with adjustable height, adjustable suspension, or even another gearbox).

This new orange ring replaces red gear selector levers and lowers number of parts required to build a gearbox. 

Just now, BusterHaus said:

It's very similar to a worm gear, except the "thread" is a closed loop that has one low, one high and two medium points. When a low or high points is engaged with the gear shifter ring, one of the two red gears is driven. When the medium points are in contact with the shifter ring, neither red output gear is driven. 

The beauty of this selector is that it can be driven continuously in one direction, and will just cycle between all the states. It can also drive two gear shifter rings at the same time, allowing 4 gears with a single rotation of one shaft.

As an added bonus, the output of the gear selector shaft can be linked to a secondary mechanism (gear indicator dial, spoiler with adjustable height, adjustable suspension, or even another gearbox).

This new orange ring replaces red gear selector levers and lowers number of parts required to build a gearbox. 

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.  

So that means a 90-degree stepper would get you from 1st gear to 3rd and a downshift to 1st.  I hope the exhaust sounds good at the price you guys are paying for this set :grin:

3 hours ago, aminnich said:

That makes sense, thanks for the explanation.  

So that means a 90-degree stepper would get you from 1st gear to 3rd and a downshift to 1st.  I hope the exhaust sounds good at the price you guys are paying for this set :grin:

Actually the hope is that it doesn't make "gearbox dying" sounds like Posche did, not the exhaust xD

Edited by Ascius

Well, let's talk a little about the front axle, as you can see it will have a suspension, but what kind of parts are at the top and bottom of the hub, what kind of suspension arm is that? 57515 or 15459.
Edited by iulian2500

Any idea on how those selector rings will be controlled? If each one is connected with two clutches there won't be a neutral position in each "sub-gearbox", so it can't be a simple layout with one clutch-position corresponding to one of the (probably) 8 gears. That means, that the orange selector rings won't move at the same time but are controlled by a mechanism that transfers the 8 positions of the gear lever/paddles to two independent 4 step rotations.

28 minutes ago, Lucullus said:

Any idea on how those selector rings will be controlled? If each one is connected with two clutches there won't be a neutral position in each "sub-gearbox", so it can't be a simple layout with one clutch-position corresponding to one of the (probably) 8 gears. That means, that the orange selector rings won't move at the same time but are controlled by a mechanism that transfers the 8 positions of the gear lever/paddles to two independent 4 step rotations.

In the first seconds of this video you see a black knob wheel and next to it an orange (0x)-piece with a pin-with-tow-ball inserted. I suppose the knobwheel will control the 4-speed gearbox for every shift and the towball will control the 2-speed gearbox every 4 shifts.

EDIT: I'm still not sure how the gearbox works. Theoratically, it could run through 16 different positions with 2 selectors each controlling 2 driving rings.

Edited by Didumos69

2 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

I suppose the knobwheel will control the 4-speed gearbox for every shift and when shifting from 4 to 5 or back, the towball will control the 2-speed gearbox

This is the most likely scenario. This means 8 speads instead of 7+R.

What's really interesting is paddle shifters or any other mechanism that will change gears. There must be significant progress after Porshe, or maybe only slightly improved version. Axle connected to that mechanism is located right on the center of the car.

Just now, ibessonov said:

This is the most likely scenario. This means 8 speads instead of 7+R.

What's really interesting is paddle shifters or any other mechanism that will change gears. There must be significant progress after Porshe, or maybe only slightly improved version. Axle connected to that mechanism is located right on the center of the car.

If they use my shifter it will make me immortal :laugh:.

49 minutes ago, Didumos69 said:

If they use my shifter it will make me immortal

That's plausible, but there has to be at least some difference. I'm sure they investigate MOCs to not repeat them. New pieces only support this idea, they basically revolutionize approach to gearboxes with this set.

But... how is it even possible to put those orange pieces in other sets in the future? I guess we won't see them again until 2020 or so. Let's hope that we'll have new blue gears in 2019 sets, I need a lot of them, or at least 3 :grin:

1 hour ago, iulian2500 said:

let's talk a little about the front axle, as you can see it will have a suspension

Have You seen it?

2 minutes ago, Jurss said:

Have You seen it?

The wheel hub have ball on top, i think will have suspension, but what kind of suspension will have?

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

I suppose the knobwheel will control the 4-speed gearbox for every shift and the towball will control the 2-speed gearbox every 4 shifts.

You're not far off :wink: 

29 minutes ago, iulian2500 said:

i think will have suspension, but what kind of suspension will have

Of course it will have suspension, of course it will be independent. Most probably it will have two shock absorbers on each side, because of wight.

Maybe it's time to lock this topic again? (for 4 days)

1 minute ago, Jurss said:

Of course it will have suspension, of course it will be independent. Most probably it will have two shock absorbers on each side, because of wight.

Maybe it's time to lock this topic again? (for 4 days)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

What I noticed, there will be at least 2 books (instructions) for this set. 

8 minutes ago, Jurss said:

What I noticed, there will be at least 2 books (instructions) for this set. 

Holy Belly-Flop-In-A-Pizza! That's going to take me days to build this!

I'm expecting this to come with a unique serial number printed on a 1x4 tile!

And I saw someone of the Czech Republic get his hands on one! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1625461590855206&set=pcb.2115721365166552&type=3&theater

Edited by BrickWild

I've been playing a little with how to take advantage of the new parts. I tried making a compact sequential 4-speed gearbox layout and so far this is the most simple solution I could come up with. It's still not that easy because to take full advantage of the new orange selector, the driving rings cannot be placed on opposite sides of the gear selector.

To take full advantage of the new 20t clutch gears, the gear ratio between the two driving rings needs to be closer to 1:1 than the 20:12 ratio made by the new clutch gears. In this case I used 16:20. Ratios are: 4:5, 1:1, 4:3, 5:3.

• Green is input
  • Yellow is control
  • Red is output

800x450.jpg

Edited by Didumos69

woow, when I am looking at recent photos, I have to admit that I have started to like the way it looks, even though I didn't like it at very beginnig. However, when I am lookingg at body line of Chiron on the side view picture, I am not sure if it close to real Chiron.

1 hour ago, Didumos69 said:

I've been playing a little with how to take advantage of the new parts. I tried making a compact sequential 4-speed gearbox layout and so far this is the most simple solution I could come up with. It's still not that easy because to take full advantage of the new orange selector, the driving rings cannot be placed on opposite sides of the gear selector.

To take full advantage of the new 20t clutch gears, the gear ratio between the two driving rings needs to be closer to 1:1 than the 20:12 ratio made by the new clutch gears. In this case I used 16:20. Ratios are: 4:5, 1:1, 4:3, 5:3.

• Green is input
  • Yellow is control
  • Red is output

800x450.jpg

What software do you use?

Side view is pretty close, I did a comparison on my own to see and it isn't far off. I love the lines of this car. I need the next 4 days to fly by. 

4 hours ago, ibessonov said:

But... how is it even possible to put those orange pieces in other sets in the future? I guess we won't see them again until 2020 or so. Let's hope that we'll have new blue gears in 2019 sets, I need a lot of them, or at least 3 :grin:

You only need to use a little imagination :wink: . For example, you could make a four output distribution gearbox operated by turning a single Bionicle tooth, which would look smoother than a classic lever solution and be simpler and more compact than one using the Porsche mechanism.