ElectroDiva

2018 Lego Trains

4 minutes ago, bobbybats said:

...maybe we won't see a new station? That would be sad. 

That would be sad indeed!

Might be interesting if they released a 'modular' station, like one of those smaller building sets that have the swap-able rooms?

But, maybe the WV Station is supposed to tide us over til 2019...?

11 hours ago, ClassicTrains said:

I couldn't agree more!

Actually this description was the verbal one from last night (or afternoon in the US) - here on this topic -, and it was perfectly accurate. The leaked images/video that You think of were discussed about almost a week ago here. ;)

I have dreamt of a passenger train with a locomotive and separate coaches, because we haven't seen any since 7740 (talking about City sets only), but only EMU-s or fantasy stuff (9V). Well, this dream came true, but not exactly the way I pictured it... :D This nose piece is a disappointment again. I like the color scheme though.

It's not snot.  I even made this to prove it.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78612483@N04/38856785585/sizes/o/

as far as the person asking about a station.

That would be sad indeed!

Might be interesting if they released a 'modular' station, like one of those smaller building sets that have the swap-able rooms?

But, maybe the WV Station is supposed to tide us over til 2019...?

I find it odd that they don't have one listed in the set list that was leaked.  so the rumor about a modular train station seems more likely then, which means next year.

5 hours ago, CDM said:

Here is a good look at the battery box in question:

s-l640.jpg

Notice how the bottom cover could be swapped out for one 4 studs wide.

Notice the box art does not look at anything like that.

it has the same shape and design as the bottom of the current PF battery box (the AAA box) the box above is NOT compatible with that design.  The edges do not have the same design so they are not compatible.

The box shows a brand new battery box with built in wireless and what looks like knobs or something on top.  This finally will eliminate the annoying sounding IR receivers.  They sounded so annoying.  If you made the train go slow, the IR receiver made a stupid noise, but if you made the speed faster, the noise would not be made.

WeDo 2.0 is not what will be used for the trains.  if they did they would have to make new train motors that are compatible with it.  the connectors are not at all the same, they are plugs, not brick connectors.

Edited by ncx

8 hours ago, CDM said:

The standard Wedo2.0 battery box uses (2) AA batteries. The lithium ion rechargeable is an upgrade. Given the way the receiver slides off the battery box it could be swapped for a different 4 stud wide box that fits other battery configurations, such as (4) AA or (6) AAA. If Lego designed this system properly the all new components will be compatible across Boost, WeDo2.0, and the presumed updated Power Functions.

But you would see the holes of the technic holes of the receiver in the trains since both of them are 6 wide. I can't see any on the photos.

Anyone else think it's a shame that neither of these new trains appear to have proper doors? I know that they don't serve any real function but they just look good and I remember playing with Lego trains as a child in the 80's / early 90's, I would have been very disappointed if my trains hadn't had doors then. The same goes for all City vehicles in my opinion. I always prefer the ones with doors that can be opened and closed.

2 hours ago, Bricked1980 said:

Anyone else think it's a shame that neither of these new trains appear to have proper doors? I know that they don't serve any real function but they just look good and I remember playing with Lego trains as a child in the 80's / early 90's, I would have been very disappointed if my trains hadn't had doors then. The same goes for all City vehicles in my opinion. I always prefer the ones with doors that can be opened and closed.

I am disappointed about this too! Yes, we are almost at the same age, this could be the reason... :) I was happy when 60052 came out, even though I don't like american engines that much. But at least it had a proper door! Maybe I'll get one now, because who knows if we're ever gonna see one again with doors. And the same goes for train windows... Looks like we always get a continuous row of rectangle-shaped glass lately. No proper train windows any more, though in real life, a lot of modern trains still have them...

More images including track pack courtesy of @degenerate

Johan: Please don't directly link to confidential images, giving hints where one could find them (like reddit) would not be a problem I guess. 

Edited by JopieK
Confidential images links removed.

Very nice. Thanks for posting. Looks like the track pack is a mix of straights and curves with a couple of flex-tracks thrown in.

40 minutes ago, BryanKinkel said:

Very nice. Thanks for posting. Looks like the track pack is a mix of straights and curves with a couple of flex-tracks thrown in.

From what I can discern from that tiny image, looks like 8 straights, 8 curves, and 2 flex per box.

6 minutes ago, icemorons said:

From what I can discern from that tiny image, looks like 8 straights, 8 curves, and 2 flex per box.

4 curves, 8 straight and 8 flex per box. :classic:

9 hours ago, ncx said:

Notice the box art does not look at anything like that.

The box art is a placeholder. It's clearly marked as such. There is no indication that image realistically represents an actual piece.

it has the same shape and design as the bottom of the current PF battery box (the AAA box) the box above is NOT compatible with that design.  The edges do not have the same design so they are not compatible.

If they change the PF battery box design it's realistic to expect a new mold for the bottom cover.

The box shows a brand new battery box with built in wireless and what looks like knobs or something on top.  This finally will eliminate the annoying sounding IR receivers.  They sounded so annoying.  If you made the train go slow, the IR receiver made a stupid noise, but if you made the speed faster, the noise would not be made.

The battery box I linked HAS a built in receiver.

WeDo 2.0 is not what will be used for the trains.  if they did they would have to make new train motors that are compatible with it.  the connectors are not at all the same, they are plugs, not brick connectors.

There has been talk of a new PF system for a while now. I don't know why a new connection system would be so unexpected. Yes, that battery box is speculation but I think it makes a lot of sense given the direction they are going with PF. For trains this setup is advantageous with all the connections at the front (or back) of the box, instead of on top. It's a lot easier to build out and conceal connections on the ends than on top, ie 3677.

We shall see...

3 minutes ago, degenerate said:

4 curves, 8 straight and 8 flex per box. :classic:

Thanks for the correction! :classic:  I should've noticed the perspective difference in length.  The stack of straights behind the flex tracks (center of the box) wouldn't be longer than the track in the foreground, if they were the same actual length.   That stack in the foreground must therefore be two layers of three flex pieces attached together.   I did discern the two stacked single flex pieces on the left.   Initial thoughts were that the blurry stack of track in the center foreground was 4 curves...

2 hours ago, ClassicTrains said:

I am disappointed about this too! Yes, we are almost at the same age, this could be the reason... :) I was happy when 60052 came out, even though I don't like american engines that much. But at least it had a proper door! Maybe I'll get one now, because who knows if we're ever gonna see one again with doors. And the same goes for train windows... Looks like we always get a continuous row of rectangle-shaped glass lately. No proper train windows any more, though in real life, a lot of modern trains still have them...

The following set was a particular favourite of mine as a child. I'm pleased to say I still own my copy of this classic set in pristine condition including the box and instructions.

4563-1.jpg

I used to spend hours playing with this and I can remember trying to pose the minifigs with the doors half open as if the driver was leaning out of the cab, similar to scenes from Thomas the Tank Engine episodes. It's a shame this sort of role play would be missing from the new sets and it's just from something as simple as including a door piece which can open and close. I'm sure TLG know what they're doing though and maybe kids nowadays are not as interested in those sorts of little details.

40 minutes ago, bobbybats said:

I wonder if the price is going up. 

I'm sure it will. Unfortunate since curved track is more useless than flex track to me.

“Frankenstein engines” and “ugly nose pieces” aside, does seriously nobody have any problem at all with the bank robber  aspect of the cargo train?  

At least they didn’t include a helicopter.  ;)

7 minutes ago, SpaceTwinky said:

“Frankenstein engines” and “ugly nose pieces” aside, does seriously nobody have any problem at all with the bank robber  aspect of the cargo train?  

At this point we are glad to see new trains even if there are bank robbers.  We can't afford to be picky :(

14 minutes ago, SpaceTwinky said:

It is kind of odd. But 1. if it helps tie-in the rest of the City line and, in turn, sell more trains I'm ok with it because 2. the truck can probably be easily repurposed. And yeah, no helo.

I like the nose of the cargo train.  It reminds me of the F7 or EMD E6 style noses and typical of many American-style diesel engines.  Is it a single solid nose mold?  Or is it a brick-build nose?  I'm hoping for the latter so that I can mod my own proper F7.

I haven't heard any discussion about the signal mast on the box of the passenger train. 

15 minutes ago, CCSG said:

I haven't heard any discussion about the signal mast on the box of the passenger train. 

I believe the signal mast from 60197 is extremely similar in design to the one that was included with 7938.   It's nice to have it included, but it's nothing innovative.   IMHO.

3 hours ago, SpaceTwinky said:

Just wondering what makes you think there is a bank robber aspect in this set, as doesn't look to be any robbery going down?

2 hours ago, wooster said:

I like the nose of the cargo train.  It reminds me of the F7 or EMD E6 style noses and typical of many American-style diesel engines.  Is it a single solid nose mold?  Or is it a brick-build nose?  I'm hoping for the latter so that I can mod my own proper F7.

It looks brickbuilt on the image.

However, I would build the nose higher for an F7. For me it looks more like a streamlined crocodile loc of the german railways but with a shorter nose:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BR193-008.jpg#/media/File:BR193-008.jpg

1 hour ago, scottwb2010 said:

Just wondering what makes you think there is a bank robber aspect in this set, as doesn't look to be any robbery going down?

It is hard to tell from the images, but an earlier description said the truck is an armored (bank) vehicle and the forklift is carrying a pallet of gold bars.   Surely every criminal in Legotown will want to rob that train.  

@Stefaneris: The german train you showed is different - more like set 4551 - the front engines (lower part) is on an extra bogie - so the train has two hinges in front and after train cabin. 

The shorter version is E17, but looks different to the new lego train engine:

DB_E17_103.JPG

source: https ://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5b/DB_E17_103.JPG

I think, it's nearly a british one. But first image I like more, espeacially in dark turquiose - normal green is boring. 

Edited by MTM