42069 - Extreme Adventure - Rating  

202 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

2. 2. Do you prefer treads or wheels?

3. 3. Which of the wheels do you prefer? (multiple answers possible)

• Power Puller wheels and silver rims
    • Tumbler rires and black rims
    • 4x4 Crawler tires and black rims
    • Claas tires and red rims
    • Claas tires and yellow rims
    • Claas tires and yellow rims and hub caps
    • Unimog tires and silver rims
    • Unimog tires and yellow rims
    • Unimog tires and yellow rims with pulley decoration

22 minutes ago, Spooky said:

This is the most challenging set I have ever build..Not because of the set is too complex or technical but because very hard to find some pieces from 2300+ pieces..for exaplme took 20 minutes to find hook because there is only one hook..peaaahhh...

Funny because the hook was the part that took the longest time to find for me as well. I actually think some parts were a little tricky to assemble as well. Especially attaching the axles to the rest of the chassis. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:05 PM, HallBricks said:

Funny because the hook was the part that took the longest time to find for me as well. I actually think some parts were a little tricky to assemble as well. Especially attaching the axles to the rest of the chassis. 

Completed yesterday and yes attaching axles to the chassis was  problem for me too..it has 3-4  moving parts  while trying to attach.lol....this set is so weird first "I though whats that for god sake.definitely not gonna buy it"  , later both price and 2300+ pieces made me to buy and I don't regret..much more beautiful than photos and videos..treads are definitely peek spot for this model tyres would  not be good..Btw I still cant deceide wheter or not to buy 42070..

Edited by Spooky

On 31.08.2017 at 10:05 PM, HallBricks said:

The very first thing I did after opening the box was finding the hook within 2 seconds in the foil bag :laugh:

I saw Sariel's review and noted how much he hated the fact the parts are in non-numbered bags. But I rarely handle 500+ parts sets without segregating elements. So each foil bag's contents landed in a different bowl/tray/box/compartment of my Lego-Parts-Tray bought in IKEA. Finding most parts was a breeze.

The only problem is my set missed I slotted brick for a green jerrycan. Probably because my cat missplaced it when jumping through the conglomerate of aforementioned containers. Oh, and I have one extra black pin that probably belongs somewhere deep within the assembly. But the vehicle is not falling apart, so I'm not worried :laugh:

Overall impression of the set is that it's utterly awesome. Impressive, loaded with cool functions (I can spend hours opening and closing those awesome doors!) and mighty big. And a bargain, too (I bough it for about 109 Euros, so it was 4 cents/piece). Definitely a top set of 2017 in terms of looks and functions (42065 wins in terms of playability) and a worthy model for Technic's 30th anniversary.

On 6.09.2017 at 6:53 PM, Immo said:

The only problem is my set missed I slotted brick for a green jerrycan. Probably because my cat missplaced it when jumping through the conglomerate of aforementioned containers.

Bingo. Found it two days after I ordered a spare one on Bricklink :grin:

So I've just finished the build.  And I'm underwhelmed.  As you are building it, it does not seem that big, but at some point, it's suddenly huge.  I do think the build was a bit dull, I never felt excited, like I was building a specific part, like on some previous builds.  

Functionality, it's ok.  but like many have said, 2017 has not been a good year for Technic, Roll on the build of 42070 on Friday!

I have built the tracked car and it is wonderful. However I have some problem - the resistance when riding on the floor is quite high. Usually kids can push and steer some car by one hand using HOG wheel. But not with this design. I myself have to push this tracked car with one hand and with the other steer using HOG. Please can someone confirm this is normal behaviour?

I have built it using pieces from other lego sets, and the tracks were heavily used in older builds. Could be this the cause of the problem? I have already built many technic designs and I am quite sure I left enough space for rotating parts, no bushes pushed tightly, I have always checked axis were rotating freely before putting pieces together etc.

To be fair....treads suck when it comes to playability. That's all there is to it. 

After receiving both 42069 and 42070 over Christmas (without asking!) I agree with many on the sentiments here. Whilst I am of course increadably greatful for these gifts as even the worst technic set is better than anything non technic, I did find the build of 42069 comparatively dull and boring. Soooooo many parts for not much mechanical goodness. And I couldn't find the hook either, had to use one from my collection, then at the end when all other parts was gone I found the hook. I found finding the parts in general to be a bit of a pain, even though I did keep the parts from different bags separate, you don't always know which pile of parts to look through so you end up having to look through all of them anyway. The colour vomit felt like it was of no help whatsoever. Numbered bags are definitely the way to go imo. Take the part count, devide by 200 and that's about how many numbered bags should be in a set, and only one bag per number. No having 5 number 1 bags for example. This way parts will always be easy to find without the need for ANY colour vomit.

I just got a cheap copy of 42069 here in the US because of this fantastic review.  Thanks Jim for these amazing pictures and trying out all the tires.  I agree that the Unimog tires look the best, but my 4x4 crawler tires will have to do.  The set arrives tomorrow, and I'm excited to see it all come together.  This will be my only 2017 Technic set, so this is my one shot to get the printed 40th anniversary liftarm.  Now if I can be as patient with the Bugatti Chiron, maybe next year I can find that on sale somewhere too!

Just took this one apart yesterday - been built for about 6-8 weeks I think.  It's a bit of a puzzle to take sections of it apart, particularly a month or two after building as I'd forgotten the order it went together.  When taking apart, order is pretty important due to all the form locking that Milan designed into it. :)

I'm looking forward to building the B model next - it's a nice unique build (reminds me a bit of Hägglund)

Hi, thanks for the review, I've got one already and I am building it with my son.

I must say I find it heavy (around 3Kg) - so expensive to add power functions to it. I am still working on powering it, two L motors and a servo barely work. I had to add 2 studs in length in the back of the seats to add a servo there (and optionally M motors for winch and the foldable back).

The winch wire became a problem after powering it because is too flexible, so it goes easily off.

The price looks good for the number of parts, though.

Still, looks pretty loaded, over-loaded in the back, but I truly enjoy the doors. The bottom parts of the doors make the gray thresholds look redundant to me.

Edited by msdobrescu

Hey guys, im new here, so hello to everyone. I just bought and built this kit. Everything is perfect except one thing, that really annoyed me. The hood and doors doesn't hold open at the same time, they cross each other. I double checked it, but have i done something wrong or that's the way it is? 

5 hours ago, baris41 said:

Hey guys, im new here, so hello to everyone. I just bought and built this kit. Everything is perfect except one thing, that really annoyed me. The hood and doors doesn't hold open at the same time, they cross each other. I double checked it, but have i done something wrong or that's the way it is? 

Still have it built from day one and double checked just now: it is exactly the same for me... 

This is just the way it was designed, you did nothing wrong...

EDIT: And welcome to EB off course:blush:

Edited by Rudivdk

20 hours ago, Rudivdk said:

Still have it built from day one and double checked just now: it is exactly the same for me... 

This is just the way it was designed, you did nothing wrong...

EDIT: And welcome to EB off course:blush:

Hey m8, thanks to your answer and warm welcome.

I picked this up in that sweet spot between "reduced to clear" and "discontinued" as a great parts pack, lots of panels, axles, universal joints etc. but I thought I'd build it once first. I now truly appreciate numbered bags. By the time I was 5 pages in I felt like I'd opened 90% of the bags to get one or two parts out of each one!

That said I found the build very enjoyable. Some of the little details really seem to set it apart from other sets I own and the doors especially impressed me.

Does anyone else think it was designed with motors in mind though? Lots of spaces are just about motor sized and I'm sure a battery box will squeeze in the back.

800x1067.jpg

Space for a couple of L motors if I can work out how to pick up the driveshaft...

800x1067.jpg

Racing Brick is offering a full Rc modification for a pretty fair price of 10 €, given the quality of the building instructions.

LEGO® Technic 42069 Extreme Adventure full remote control modification. Features of the mod:

4 tracks are driven by 4 L motors
fake engine powered by an M motor
roof elevation powered by an M motor
winch is completely reworked with worm gear, powered by an M motor
front axle steering with Servo motor, tank-style steering is also available
4 Power Functions lights
Controlled/powered by 2 BuWizz units, alternatively 2 SBricks and 2 AAA battery boxes can be also used

I'm planning to build it with 2 cada battery box to lower the price a bit. I have most of the needed parts but still missing some power functions extension cables.

You can check some free instructions for other model (like 42077) to get an idea of what you'll pay for.

https://racingbrick.com/lego-technic-42069-extreme-adventure-rc-mod/

Edited by fosamax

Did anybody motorized this kit? I wonder is it possible to build it with rc parts or anybody built something similar besides racing brick solution?

I motorized it with power functions with wheels instead of chains. One XL-Motor, a Servo, one SBrick and a rechargeable battery box. Works pretty decent on flat surfaces.

Edited by tismabrick

5 minutes ago, tismabrick said:

I motorized it with power functions with wheels instead of chains. One L-Motor, a Servo and an ordinary battery box. Works pretty decent on flat surfaces.

Do you have any instructions? Would you post couple of pictures or videos?

No video, no instructions, I‘m afraid. But I might post some pictures. It‘s a fairly simple build. The Servo is not integrated but rather sits on top.

I was actually mistaken.

I motorized it with the following components:

• 1 Servo (attached on top of the roof where the manual handle was)
  • 1 XL Motor
  • Rechargeable Battery Box (8881, discontinued, on the roof)
  • 1 SBrick (on the roof)

Here some pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tismabrick/albums/72157715618810781

Btw: dust is not part of the modification ;)

Edited by tismabrick

16 hours ago, tismabrick said:

No video, no instructions, I‘m afraid. But I might post some pictures. It‘s a fairly simple build. The Servo is not integrated but rather sits on top.

I was actually mistaken.

I motorized it with the following components:

• 1 Servo (attached on top of the roof where the manual handle was)
  • 1 XL Motor
  • Rechargeable Battery Box (8881, discontinued, on the roof)
  • 1 SBrick (on the roof)

Here some pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/tismabrick/albums/72157715618810781

Btw: dust is not part of the modification ;)

I appreciate your help, it looks great by the way. Gave me some ideas. 

Late to the party as I had a week off from the internet but I motorised this with 2x L motors, servo for steering and 2x M motors for winch and roof. Battery box in the back replacing the sliding tray. Lots of room but IIRC the fake motor was replaced by the servo.