Bregir

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Intro Thread, Era II

While much of Eslandola skews to the Spanish/Portuguese, there is a small portion of the population that are culturally pre-Roman Celts (my creation). Most originate from the hills near the border with Corrington. The Truachesh neh Triuri (People of the Triple Goddess) are an ancient culture that were nearly wiped out by the wars that resulted in the current borders on the Madrice Peninsula, but have seen a resurgence of late. Their church, the Crahaish neh Triuri, is actively trying to spread their faith (my sigfig is a Wandering Acolyte), though few from outside the culture take the faith seriously.

@Khorne - I'm on board with your take on ESL for sure.  United Provinces inspiration was what @Garmadon and I started with originally.  And then since they don't have an instantly recognizable military look (in so far as they did, it was similar to Spain), it made sense to tack on the conquistador style (especially since there are LEGO pieces for that).  Besides we obviously didn't want a 1:1 correlation with a real-world empire.

I don't think Venice was something either of us thought of to begin with.  It may have inspired some builds here and there but doesn't seem to have a reflection in the faction generally.  I see us as more blunt Dutch traders than smooth Venetian bankers.

I think my Eslandolan models are going to have a Netherlands/Low countries inspiration, because there are plenty of Lego pieces that would work that I could Bricklink, and also having that Dutch inspiration would give my models some originality, while also staying true to ESL.

Edited by Beleg the Ranger

10 hours ago, gedren_y said:

While much of Eslandola skews to the Spanish/Portuguese, there is a small portion of the population that are culturally pre-Roman Celts (my creation). Most originate from the hills near the border with Corrington. The Truachesh neh Triuri (People of the Triple Goddess) are an ancient culture that were nearly wiped out by the wars that resulted in the current borders on the Madrice Peninsula, but have seen a resurgence of late. Their church, the Crahaish neh Triuri, is actively trying to spread their faith (my sigfig is a Wandering Acolyte), though few from outside the culture take the faith seriously.

I was merely speaking about the general outline, just as I did with Oleon/Corrington. There are always some "deviations", but that's what keeps it interesting. It's fantasy after all and a 1:1 correlation isn't the goal, like @Kai NRG said.

7 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

@Khorne - I'm on board with your take on ESL for sure.  United Provinces inspiration was what @Garmadon and I started with originally.  And then since they don't have an instantly recognizable military look (in so far as they did, it was similar to Spain), it made sense to tack on the conquistador style (especially since there are LEGO pieces for that).  Besides we obviously didn't want a 1:1 correlation with a real-world empire.

I don't think Venice was something either of us thought of to begin with.  It may have inspired some builds here and there but doesn't seem to have a reflection in the faction generally.  I see us as more blunt Dutch traders than smooth Venetian bankers.

Yeah, you're right; they don't have a very recognizable military look. I guess all armies kind of looked the same, yet the morion-wearing image is always tacked on the Iberian countries as the typical image.

What would be super recognizable for the Dutch of those times, would be an extrapolation of their habit of wearing simple black civic clothing. It's probably to do with their calvinist tradition of humility and not outright boasting with your wealth. You see it a lot in paintings of those days. E.g: Michiel De Ruyter, Johan van Oldenbarnevelt, paintings of the Amsterdam stock exchange. That look can easily be achieved using LEGO, by using a white ruff or one of those white bowtie pieces and a simple black torso (plenty of those around, such as Snape's).

6 hours ago, Beleg the Ranger said:

I think my Eslandolan models are going to have a Netherlands/Low countries inspiration, because there are plenty of Lego pieces that would work that I could Bricklink, and also having that Dutch inspiration would give my models some originality, while also staying true to ESL.

Neat to see! As @Bregir already said, that was also @Capt Wolf's inspiration for Weelond. There are some cool and inspirational builds there! I think the key to the colonial Dutch aesthetic is not going overboard on details. Keep things simple. Mostly straight lines vs organic shapes, muted colors vs eye-popping colors etc. 

4 hours ago, Khorne said:

Neat to see! As @Bregir already said, that was also @Capt Wolf's inspiration for Weelond. There are some cool and inspirational builds there! I think the key to the colonial Dutch aesthetic is not going overboard on details. Keep things simple. Mostly straight lines vs organic shapes, muted colors vs eye-popping colors etc. 

I would definitely agree, @Khorne! If you look at Dutch colonies such as Zeelandia, in the Carribean and Suriname, you see a simple brick aesthetic, rather than ornamentation. Ornamentation was a much more French style, used in New Orleans and more. Honestly, quite a bit like Classic Pirates!

Edited by Beleg the Ranger

6 hours ago, Khorne said:

I think the key to the colonial Dutch aesthetic is not going overboard on details. Keep things simple. Mostly straight lines vs organic shapes, muted colors vs eye-popping colors etc. 

I'm sure a few hundred windmills wouldn't hurt either. :pir_tong2:

On 4/22/2020 at 11:38 PM, Sir Kingston said:

If you are looking for inspiration...

#CaptWolfspecialty :pir_laugh2:

47 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:
On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2020 at 8:38 AM, Sir Kingston said:

If you are looking for inspiration...

#CaptWolfspecialty :pir_laugh2:

You missed my first one:

and my funky one:

:pir-grin:

I'm asking myself if there are already rifled muskets invented or not in the brick seas. Maybe they are already invented but quite expensive and unpractical for Line Infantry, due to rate of fire etc. ?

Generally I think it is rather hard to define what explicit real-time frame the game stays in but I'd like to know what the latest "real time" inventions would be to be appropriate for the game. Maybe someone can help me out :) 

55 minutes ago, Legonaut said:

I'm asking myself if there are already rifled muskets invented or not in the brick seas. Maybe they are already invented but quite expensive and unpractical for Line Infantry, due to rate of fire etc. ?

Generally I think it is rather hard to define what explicit real-time frame the game stays in but I'd like to know what the latest "real time" inventions would be to be appropriate for the game. Maybe someone can help me out :) 

I would say yes, muzzle loading, flintlock rifled muskets have been invented but are not in widespread use. However, the Minié ball (which was not invented until the 1840s), percussion caps and breach loaders would be out of the time frame for BoBS which is more 17-18 Century. Generally anything after about 1815 is considered too 'modern' for BoBS.

See here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifled_musket

1 hour ago, Legonaut said:

Oh, firearms are kind of my bag!  So if we take the late Napoleonic period as the end of our time frame, that still allows for quite a few innovations in firearms.  Rifled muskets as a primary service arm didn't occur until later, but there were quite a few rifles that were in use.

The most famous of these, thanks to the Sharpe series, is the Baker Rifle.  This was the main arm of the rifle regiments of the British Army, which were typically employed as skirmishers.  Other common muzzle-loaded rifles were the German Jäger and the American Pennsylvania and Kentucky long rifles, used in both military roles and as hunting arms.

But you aren't restricted to muzzle-loaders!  A variety of innovative breechloaders were attempted in this period.  They were mostly too expensive or simply too unfamiliar and new to gain traction in the military beyond special units, but they did exist.  These I'll divide into two categories, simple breechloaders and complex (repeating) breechloaders.

Simple breechloaders include the Queen Anne system, mostly used on pistols but also some carbines, the Crespi carbine, in Austrian service in the 1770s, the Hall Rifle (this video is a later percussion model, but the first models were flintlocks), and the British Ferguson rifle, used during the American revolution.  On a larger scale swivel guns using removable, interchangeable breeches had been around since the 1300s.

Complex, or repeating, breechloaders of the era include the Kalthoff repeater, a slide action rifle used in small quantities by the Danish Foot Guards, the Lorenzoni system, a finely crafted lever action produced by various makers for around 150 years, the Collier revolver, the Puckle gun, which was a small artillery piece, and others.

As far as percussion caps go, the relevant chemistry discoveries and first designs show up around 1800-1820, at the end of our time frame.  While you won't see them on military weapons, it wouldn't be unheard of to have a chemist or inventor messing with them, or have one or two firearms in the hands of a wealthy individual using them.

There have been some breach loading cannons in BOBS, including on some of my ship builds. I think we leave off at the integrated cartridge with percussion cap.

12 hours ago, Legonaut said:

Hi! The Sarge is perfectly right. Rifled muskets couldn't be produced in series and were quite complicated to use: the loading from the muzzle was slower (due to the greater adherence of the bullet to the barrel) and the soot from the gunpowder filled the grooves very quickly (a few shoots). Therefore, they were excellent hunting rifles, but too expensive and delicate for military use: only a few elite units used them, mainly in the Napoleonic wars.

Also breechloaders were a thing at the time: for example Genoa used anti-personnel swivel guns loaded from behind (the whole cartridge was plugged in the back of the cannon, actually a sort of open tube). I'm not a great expert about rifles, but I I know that some attempts were done too; however, the mechanism was usually very complex and delicate, and only a few models were actually employed at the time.

Another interesting weapon is the airgun. Used mainly as an hunting weapon, Austrian Empire employed it, mainly against the Ottomans: it was very expensive and could be produced only in small numbers, but could shot up to 20 bullets without reloading, didn't produce smoke while firing and didn't require the soldier to stand during reloading.

As for others "wunderwaffen", you can consider fast-firing weapons (such as Puckle gun or organ gun, a prototype and an obsolete weapon respectively), rockets, artillery grenades filled with flammable, caustic (quicklime) or toxic materials (such as antimony, arsenic and poisonous herbs), early forms of "land mines", various devices to throw flammable liquids...

NB some of the above will result in international contempt and sometimes in serious consequences for the user too

Just making sure people have noticed that the deadline for Cat D in the challenge has been moved to June 28 so we can squeeze in another MRCA. Cat E deadline is still May 31. FYI.

On 5/3/2020 at 6:51 AM, Keymonus said:

Hi! The Sarge is perfectly right. Rifled muskets couldn't be produced in series and were quite complicated to use: the loading from the muzzle was slower (due to the greater adherence of the bullet to the barrel) and the soot from the gunpowder filled the grooves very quickly (a few shoots). Therefore, they were excellent hunting rifles, but too expensive and delicate for military use: only a few elite units used them, mainly in the Napoleonic wars.

Also breechloaders were a thing at the time: for example Genoa used anti-personnel swivel guns loaded from behind (the whole cartridge was plugged in the back of the cannon, actually a sort of open tube). I'm not a great expert about rifles, but I I know that some attempts were done too; however, the mechanism was usually very complex and delicate, and only a few models were actually employed at the time.

Another interesting weapon is the airgun. Used mainly as an hunting weapon, Austrian Empire employed it, mainly against the Ottomans: it was very expensive and could be produced only in small numbers, but could shot up to 20 bullets without reloading, didn't produce smoke while firing and didn't require the soldier to stand during reloading.

As for others "wunderwaffen", you can consider fast-firing weapons (such as Puckle gun or organ gun, a prototype and an obsolete weapon respectively), rockets, artillery grenades filled with flammable, caustic (quicklime) or toxic materials (such as antimony, arsenic and poisonous herbs), early forms of "land mines", various devices to throw flammable liquids...

NB some of the above will result in international contempt and sometimes in serious consequences for the user too

Congreve Rockets are still good right? :pir-tongue:

12 hours ago, Sir Kingston said:

Congreve Rockets are still good right? :pir-tongue:

Perfectly fine! However, since propaganda was already a powerful weapon at the time, you can expect attacks (motivated or not) for “unhuman behavior” anyways, even if you only use perfectly legit weapons

First thanks to all of you that responded!

A question for Freebuilds: Are GOC Builds that aren't licensed also usable as Freebuilds for the DB's and can old Moc's be also used as Freebuilds that never were?

1 hour ago, Legonaut said:

First thanks to all of you that responded!

A question for Freebuilds: Are GOC Builds that aren't licensed also usable as Freebuilds for the DB's and can old Moc's be also used as Freebuilds that never were?

All the new builds can be used as freebuilds, no matter their category... I think that only major challenge builds can't be used for this purpose, but I'm not sure about that. About old builds... theoretically yes, there's not a specific time limit between when you post them and when you get the cash.

On 5/18/2020 at 10:19 PM, Keymonus said:

there's not a specific time limit between when you post them and when you get the cash

Mind that you can only license 3 builds (FB or anything else that generates money) per month as I recall but please correct me if I am wrong.

17 minutes ago, blackdeathgr said:

Mind that you can only license 3 builds (FB or anything else that generates money) per month as I recall but please correct me if I am wrong.

If I remember well, you can register as many fb as you want, but they will produce a decreasing income (the first 2 or 3 10db each, then 5, then 2)... the exact values are somewhere in the rules. If they can be licensed, however, you can only license 3 of them per month (plus eventually a part of a large collaborative build, that you won’t license as individual property)

20 minutes ago, Keymonus said:

If I remember well, you can register as many fb as you want, but they will produce a decreasing income (the first 2 or 3 10db each, then 5, then 2)... the exact values are somewhere in the rules. If they can be licensed, however, you can only license 3 of them per month (plus eventually a part of a large collaborative build, that you won’t license as individual property)

Yeap, I remembered now. You are correct!

20 minutes ago, Legonaut said:

Where can I See my current DB amount?

There are links to the account sheets in the Master Index thread.

That said, the last accurate account is from Sept-Oct of last year. We haven't been able to run an accurate update since then. The Oct 2019 - Feb 2020 update has too many errors to make anything in it usable. So, unfortunately, there is currently no place anyone can see their current DB amount.