SilentWolf

[COR - FB] From all over they have come

33405113474_5aebaf5868_c.jpg

Micah and Elizabeth have arrived safely on Lacryma thanks to Hannah and her work. There is much to be seen by them since Elizabethville (named of course after Micah's one love) has grown a lot while Micah was away. 2nd Lieutenant Anthony Bolton and Mayor Tom Mercer have worked hard at keeping the settlement orderly and growing. The new settlers arriving from other parts of the Brick Seas have quickly settled in to make their own way in this land. The relationships with the natives have proven to be very amicable and trade with Chief Otetiani and the Onondaga people has continued. There are rumors that some of the other tribes are upset over the Onondaga's success but as of today those rumors do not seem founded. On this mid-morning, Ensign David and Hanska were leading Micah and Elizabeth to an Onondaga village for a meal and trade discussions. They are accompanied by one of the light cavalry and Hanska's bride of less than two months (moons). Micah always suspected the two of them would get together. As they rode along, the party passed a windmill which Ensign David told them had been constructed by the Ruysch brothers. They had settled on the island from Varcoast. Hubert had brought along his wife and daughter and the four of them ran the only grist mill on the island. It was a very busy business but lucrative.

33862472970_91558b0aac_c.jpg

33862479990_715b18317b_c.jpg

Here are some close ups and different angles of the build. 

33862475270_31177ea026_c.jpg

33862479110_458a96a1ab_c.jpg

33862476870_61ced04a6b_c.jpg

33862476300_66d628e1e7_z.jpg

Builder's Note: I have found that a baby crawling around has hindered my time available to build with my bricks. Thus the several projects I was working on in bricks have stalled out. I decided to instead do some LDD builds as I had the time for that and I didn't have to worry about the baby eating a brick or two. This is the result of my attempt at the first factory in Elizabethville. The outer dimensions of the build are 91x94. The windmill sits on 16x16 with some overhang of the blades and guide. The warehouse is about 20x40. I am licensing it as a medium factory since the footprint of the buildings take up 1056 studs. C&C welcome. 

P.S. The windmill is modeled after this one, https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/15/Goliath_Poldermolen.jpg even though it is not a grist mill. I am sure in BoBS it doesn't matter. 
:pir-tongue:

Fantastic mill Silentwolf - That you've managed to get that shape in LDD is nothing sort of amazing! I like the way you've place it on a large and fairly bare base. It really gives the impression of the open plains that I imagine typical of Lacryma.

I am really liking digital builds more and more - as you point out, you can build things that real life restraints such as budget, time and little humans make difficult - if not impossible. Keep up the good work!

Great job SilentWolf, I really like the layers of grass! :thumbup:  The mill looks good too, great work on the shape of the roof and neat use of Nexo Knight shield pieces for windows!  The "horn" shrub is also cool!

Wonderful MOC! Fantastic job on the windmill. (I've built a post mill in one of my early BoBS MOCs, and I'm working on a tower mill. You've inspired me to attempt a smock mill.) I like the terrain contours as well. And the story does a great job of pulling it all together in BoBS. :thumbup:

Impressive build! There's a lot of idea I could steal use to improve my land based properties.:laugh:

On 4/25/2017 at 1:25 AM, Professor Thaum said:

That's a great built... the shape of the higher windows of the windmill is a good idea

Thank you very much! The windows turned out even better then expected when I rendered it. 

On 4/25/2017 at 5:16 AM, Ayrlego said:

Fantastic mill Silentwolf - That you've managed to get that shape in LDD is nothing sort of amazing! I like the way you've place it on a large and fairly bare base. It really gives the impression of the open plains that I imagine typical of Lacryma.

I am really liking digital builds more and more - as you point out, you can build things that real life restraints such as budget, time and little humans make difficult - if not impossible. Keep up the good work!

On 4/25/2017 at 5:58 AM, Kai NRG said:

Great job SilentWolf, I really like the layers of grass! :thumbup:  The mill looks good too, great work on the shape of the roof and neat use of Nexo Knight shield pieces for windows!  The "horn" shrub is also cool!

Thank you! The shape of the mill was definitely a struggle though I did learn some tricks of LDD this time around that helped. Though I started building with the cone section, then did the top and finished with the bottom which is quite backwards for LDD. The plainness and the low roll of the landscape were born from the description of Lacryma. I also knew I didn't want any trees or buildings blocking the wind from the blades. 

On 4/25/2017 at 8:59 AM, Capt Wolf said:

Wonderful MOC! Fantastic job on the windmill. (I've built a post mill in one of my early BoBS MOCs, and I'm working on a tower mill. You've inspired me to attempt a smock mill.) I like the terrain contours as well. And the story does a great job of pulling it all together in BoBS. :thumbup:

As I am shifting toward more builds in Elizabethville and the new islands, I thought it might be good to pull back in the previous characters. This way I can create a more unified storyline. I look forward to seeing your tower mill, and future smock mill. I wanted to do a raised smock mill with the walkway suspended up in the air but I ran into some difficulties with it. I might try it again in the future or potentially in real brick where the limitations of the computer don't hinder me. 

18 hours ago, Bodi said:

Impressive build! There's a lot of idea I could steal use to improve my land based properties.:laugh:

I have definitely learned a lot from the other builders in BOBS so I am glad that you can take what I have learned and apply it also. 

First of all, I really like how you tie your story together, bringing in these recurring characters. really helps keep the BoBS world IC alive.

Second, the mill is very well done. The overall shape is great, particularly the upper dome, and I like how it is placed on a hill cleared from trees and bushes. It think the weakest part is the technic scaffolding for turning the wind. For some reason, it looks a bit off. I think plates and tiles would represent the beams better, although you might have to compromise on overall shape. Also, the wings strike me as a bit out of proportion, as if they are too heavy. Nonetheless, great rendition of a complicated subject!

Third, the landscaping is nice. I like the rolling hills, very fitting for the Lacryma description. I think adding a few patches of flowers might break up the colours a little bit, though. The storehouse is simple but effective, and I like your pathways.

Lastly, I like the lady-saddle - very clever detail! Keep it up! :)

Very nice irregular landscaping and exceptional windmill (not that I like that external superstructure in real life though. It detracts from the picturesque scenery a bit).

On a side note, crawling babies are the best! Hahahaha!