WhiteFang

REVIEW: 71018 LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 17  

218 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this entire Series 17?

2. 2. How do you find this review? Do you find it helpful and useful?

• 1 - Very helpful and useful
    • 2 - Somewhat helpful and useful
    • 3 - Little helpful and useful
    • 4 - Not helpful and useful at all
  3. 3. Do you like the distribution allocation number based on the designs for Series 17?

• 1 - Yes, I love it
    • 2 - Neutral and it made no difference to me
    • 3 - No, I hate it
  4. 4. Does it matter if I continue work on this traditional LEGO CMFs reviewing project anymore?

• 1 - Yes, it matters and I would like you to continue
    • 2 - Neutral, it does not matter to me
    • 3 - No, I can read it elsewhere

1 hour ago, K_Tiger said:

He's a Retiarius and the omission of a net from his kit is a pretty big oversight. Either the fabric 10x10 net or the half-cone web they introduced for Spider=Man last year would have worked for me. Ah, well. Brick Link will fix LEGO's screw-up.

If you don't mind going non-purist, BrickWarriors do a cool retiarius net for only 25 cents.

Sorry for the slightly OT post.

57 minutes ago, AmperZand said:

If you don't mind going non-purist, BrickWarriors do a cool retiarius net for only 25 cents.

Sorry for the slightly OT post.

You just reminded me that I actually have one of those. I keep the minifigs in the display case "pure", but if I were to get another that would definitely be a viable option.

Rocket Boy and Elf Girl are the puzzling distribution choices for me.
Lego always seem to skimp on the ladies.

3 Circus Strongmen swapped with 5 Rocket Boys
3 Connoisseurs swapped with 4 Elf Girls 

would have made the distribution near perfect.

Edited by ultiminutes

1 hour ago, ultiminutes said:

Rocket Boy and Elf Girl are the puzzling distribution choices for me.
Lego always seems to skimp on the ladies.

3 Circus Strongmen swapped with 5 Rocket Boys
3 Connoisseurs swapped with 4 Elf Girls 

would have made the distribution near perfect.

I agree.

I don't even know if anyone is interested to army-build Circus Strongmen.

3 hours ago, makoy said:

I agree.

I don't even know if anyone is interested to army-build Circus Strongmen.

Probably the dumbbells would be good as greebling or interesting texture on building exteriors or interiors :)

Edited by ultiminutes

Thanks for this. 

Been lurking for awhile, but finally signed up. The only ones I don't have any interest in are The Surfer, Butterfly girl, Elf girl, Roman Gladiator & Battle Dwarf.

Great review as usual! Still don't get why this is being kept secret but whatever I guess. Someone will likely get this early and we will see it.

This series is seems to be good but there are also few disapoinments:
-Price increase while it seems quality/ number of parts isn't higer
-Dumbells are one piece
-Rabbit eyes printing is off (needs to be higher)
-Corncob man without LEGO corn item
-No net for Gladiator even if it's in production piece
-ANOTHER SURFER??!!!

I can't wait to see the mystery figure!

My favorite fig? The Baker! She is just cute as this strawbery pie!

Edited by Lordofdragonss

Elf Girl will be super easy to feel because of her dress. Why the old shield size? Love the back of the hairpiece. 

Interesting how the dwarf's tattoo starts on his arm and continues on his chest. 

On 05. april 2017 at 5:27 PM, Chilis said:

Many cool figs this time and planty of nice accessories. But I do think you reviews are a bit too long, too many pictures.

Skip the in-depth-comparing with other similar figs from previous releases. :blush:

No no no don't skip the in depth- comparing, this is the best part of his reviews!! 

Edited by cebelicamya

Regarding the French connoisseur, it has a French bulldog as accessoire, so it makes sense. A very wanted minifigure for me

17 minutes ago, Nasto said:

Regarding the French connoisseur, it has a French bulldog as accessoire, so it makes sense. A very wanted minifigure for me

I'd really like to see them do more folk dress figures, like Lederhosen Man and Pretzel Girl. Connoisseur is in that same vein, even if it is more of a representation of the stereotypical "Hon Hon Hon" Frenchman.

Thank you everyone for your thoughtful comments. It was very nice of you guys to share these encouraging thoughts with me and your observations towards this Series 17. At first, I thought this series was quite weak but in actual after closer inspection, this is actually quite a powerful series with lots of retro stuff in there. I am sure there is at least a few minifigures for everyone out there even though you are not out for a complete series. Really appreciate your time to share your comments. I look forward to share the second half with you guys as soon as is possible. 

23 hours ago, Chilis said:

Many cool figs this time and planty of nice accessories. But I do think you reviews are a bit too long, too many pictures.

Skip the in-depth-comparing with other similar figs from previous releases. :blush:

Well, I have done some significant reduction and personally the fun part for me to make this review is the cross integration from past CMFs series as well as existing LEGO sets. 

22 hours ago, Amazing Bricks said:

Great review! That group shot really did scare me, i seriously thought for a minute that the Highwayman looked like that :laugh: Anyways, it's a good series and hope to see the Highwayman soon!

It was a fun placeholder minifigure and I don't intend to photoshop the silhouette character in my images. 

21 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

(You forgot to mention the sausage is dark red though :laugh:)

Haha, well it's still a wiener nonetheless. :tongue: 

21 hours ago, AmperZand said:

One picture I was hoping for was the S13 Hot Dog Guy holding the Sausage Man's sausage and bun (wow, how wrong does that sound?!). Seriously, I can imagine the Hot Dog Guy promoting food at the fast food joint where the Sausage Man works and having a hot dog & roll in hand. If you have a chance to take that shot, that would be much appreciated. 

Sure thing! I will find an opportunity when is possible. 

19 hours ago, Robert8 said:

This series overall makes me appreaciate more CMF Series 16 which was a lot stronger. I hope LEGO will bring this theme home with CMF S19, since it seems that would be the next traditional series 

How about Series 18? Are you referring the LEGO Ninjago Movie as Series 18 instead? I thought Series 18 should be the next traditional series? 

17 hours ago, K_Tiger said:

He's a Retiarius and the omission of a net from his kit is a pretty big oversight. Either the fabric 10x10 net or the half-cone web they introduced for Spider=Man last year would have worked for me. Ah, well. Brick Link will fix LEGO's screw-up.

Yes, that's exactly my point. Thank you. 

16 hours ago, Peppermint_M said:

Ahh gosh, Classc Space Suit in light bley! Amazing.

Same here, rejoice Classic Space fans! :wub: 

49 minutes ago, WhiteFang said:

How about Series 18? Are you referring the LEGO Ninjago Movie as Series 18 instead? I thought Series 18 should be the next traditional series? 

Series 18 is rumored to have a costume theme (similar to S.14, but without the focus on Halloween), so while it's not a licensed series, it won't be as diverse as S.17.

Thanks Whitefang!

Though addmitedly this series is not the best we've had nor even close for that matter, there are some characters which really excite me:

Most certainly the sausage man is my favourite in this series and probably one of my favourite CMFs ever to be honest. He is so cute, friendly, desirable and epic looking.

The vet is my second favourite - a new animal mould alongside a new city character makes this minifigure very fun and unique.

The secret character intrigues me ; he sure looks cool from what we can now go on.

Rocket boy = pretty cool!

The gourmet chef looks fabulous - I love the new pie and the hair/hat combo.

Even the retro spaceman, who didn't look good to me at all at first sight as he differs so much from a traditional spaceman in my mind now seems to look quite cool.

The elf girl, while not my favourite, is a nice addition and looks good too.

Butterfly = moderately good.

Yuppie - Very good looking and enjoyable.

Battle dwarf - Not the best, but it'd be worth getting one. Also, he's a great army builder.

All the rest are either un-interesting, have been ruined by a parcticular element or just genrally don't look very good whatsoever.

The lego fan

Edited by The lego fan

Since you asked for honest feedback: I'm not the biggest fan of this review style; I find it too verbose, not concise/factual enough, and most of all much too ceremonious for my taste. It's a toy review, not the Oscars. ;)

I also could well do without the little scenes you arrange. They're somewhat hit or miss for me, ranging from mildly amusing to just cringeworthy. It's apparent that you love doing them, and I appreciate that, I just don't know if a review is the right place for this sort of thing. I personally prefer the TBB/Eurobricks style of review, where fun has its place, but the reviewers focus more on the figures themselves, whereas your reviews seem more preoccupied with themselves/yourself and the reviewing process.

On the other hand, it's plain to see how much you enjoy doing this, and I like your enthusiasm. Judging from others' posts, I seem to be in the neglectable minority anyway, so it might be best to just carry on, my bickering notwithstanding. I just wanted to say that for some readers coming here for the info, less might be more. But then again, we have those other sources to fall back upon, and diversity is probably a good thing.

Edited by Brick Dangerous
Spelling

@WhiteFang Thanks for the review.  Don't change a thing about your reviews.  It is indeed a lot to read, but it's clear you enjoy the process, and I appreciate the thought and hard work it takes.  As for the people who prefer a different review style, they can simply go read someone else's boring review.  When a new CMF Series release is imminent, your review is the first one I look for.

On 4/5/2017 at 9:10 AM, mattb483 said:

Sadly the figure I wanted to see most is still kept secret. I wanna know what the big deal is with him?

On 4/5/2017 at 9:37 AM, Littleworlds said:

Bjt I don't really get the fuss about the "Mr. Mysterious" did I miss anything?:laugh:

I am absolutely baffled too! Why Lego has chosen one figure to keep secret is beyond me, especially seeing it isn't a chase figure like Mr. Gold was. If he turns out to be a highwayman like so many rumors suggest, then it would seem anti-climactic they have kept him hidden so long for no real defined reason. Unless Lego is trying to make this a tradition of future CMF lines were one figure is kept secret until the final release... Still, very weird.

8 hours ago, Brick Dangerous said:

Since you asked for honest feedback: I'm not the biggest fan of this review style; I find it too verbose, not concise/factual enough, and most of all much too ceremonious for my taste. It's a toy review, not the Oscars. ;)

I also could well do without the little scenes you arrange. They're somewhat hit or miss for me, ranging from mildly amusing to just cringeworthy. It's apparent that you love doing them, and I appreciate that, I just don't know if a review is the right place for this sort of thing. I personally prefer the TBB/Eurobricks style of review, where fun has its place, but the reviewers focus more on the figures themselves, whereas your reviews seem more preoccupied with themselves/yourself and the reviewing process.

On the other hand, it's plain to see how much you enjoy doing this, and I like your enthusiasm. Judging from others' posts, I seem to be in the neglectable minority anyway, so it might be best to just carry on, my bickering notwithstanding. I just wanted to say that for some readers coming here for the info, less might be more. But then again, we have those other sources to fall back upon, and diversity is probably a good thing.

I don't understand your comments.  Whitefangs review is just fine its his style and that's what makes it unique.  Whitefangs reviews are fun they have all those set-ups with similar style figs.  I understand its your opinion but this is a site about lego which is supposed to be a fun hobby.  Plus Whitefang has been doing it for years.  It just sounds like your post is really off-putting.  Anyways Whitefang keep up the great work your reviews are fun. 

As always great review! I'm really looking forward to this series and I personally think it's one of the better ones we have had in a while. I even like the surfer due to the cool printed surfboard. I'm also in to the "mystery figure" idea. I like when they change things up to break the monotony. 

Great review, as always! Many in here that spark my interest and several will be duplicate buys. I hope they make use of the new ray gun in the future, in new colors.