What happens when some of the best builders in the world decide to build a fregate together?

I asked myself this question 6 months ago as I wanted to do something original for the BELUG (Belgian Lego User Group) Clubday in September. Why not a workshop on "how to make a fregate"? As Belug has some legendary shipbuilders in it rangs (CGH, Sebeus, Bonaparte and maybe one day I may say myself), this should not be that difficult...

Well, it is... As I had to order all  parts from scratch (requested by Belug), it was a difficult task as every ship is different. It is nearly impossible to say in advance how many bricks you need and what type of bricks you need...

Anyway, a succesfull clubday and a few additional meetings later (with the necessary food and beer), she was ready to be showed at Brickmania Antwerp.

So here she is, the "Beluga":

30880192282_6302769429_c.jpg

A class 5HA, sailing under the flag of MAESTRO

30996410405_7d87ec33f4_c.jpg

30961231466_4c3382207a_c.jpg

30961231396_a9ab2de847_c.jpg

30879765882_c91d3f654a_c.jpg

22817864748_8328e17be8_c.jpg

30908270621_f311cfe325_c.jpg

30908270521_33f6f6cdd7_c.jpg

25360639699_1fa095fc6a_c.jpg

22817863118_163801df7a_c.jpg

---

Thanks a lot to everyone involved in this project!

C&C welcome!

Edited by Maxim I

I approved this boat..Ship, vessel..
sadly maximus had to photoshop that flag in :D.... Greenbeard turned it into a dutchy :D

great to see you guys working together..

You can find the video`s of the whole lay-out and of Captain Greenhair giving some words about it on THIS little blogpost.

Share it around as freely as you like everyone :pir-laugh:

Great name for a great ship! You did a marvelous job! Should become a flagship for BeLUG :)

Awesome ship, awesome time building and exposing it! Great to have been a part of this project!

Great collab !

Excellent vessel and awesome job !

I am happy to have seen it for real with all of you at Brickmania ! Great time !

Excellent ship, fellows!  The rigging, stern, and color-scheme are some of the highlights here, but the whole thing is really great! :thumbup:  Keep it up! :pir-wink:

That is a beautiful ship, Maxim!

The rigging and sails are really well done!  The angled bricks for the tumblehome and the prefab hulls work together to make a realistic appearance within the limitations of the LEGO System.  I also like the color scheme!  How tedious are ratlines like this?

That is an excellent name for an excellent ship within your BeLUG!  That is list of builders that have definitely been an inspiration to me, including yourself!

Just spent 5 minutes at work staring at the pictures.  It is a georgeous final product your group have there.  Well done!

20 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

I think I have seen this ship somewhere :laugh:

Looks great here!

I think I have seen it too, it looked just as great as it does here:D

Great one and the best part of all is that all these fantastic builders came together to materialize this ship! GJ! Off to better and bigger things guys!

Beautiful ship! Great collaboration! You are all to be congratulated! :thumbup:

There's lots to admire here, and I've already spied some seemingly simple details (like those lanterns) that I'll have to steal borrow in the future. :pir-grin:

1 hour ago, Capt Wolf said:

Beautiful ship! Great collaboration! You are all to be congratulated! :thumbup:

There's lots to admire here, and I've already spied some seemingly simple details (like those lanterns) that I'll have to steal borrow in the future. :pir-grin:

Muhahahaha! Wait for your turn buddie!!! :laugh: :tongue: :grin:

Very nice ship there. A great example of the CGH style. She's very well shaped and proportioned. I find the understated embellishments very no-nonsense and war like; it’s a good thing. Is that dark red? Always thought that's be a good color for a ship but it's an expensive color. Your rig is fairly complete and convincing as well :thumbup: With so many strong builders behind you, it'd be hard to find anything to be truly critical on. If I try real hard I can point out that she's more of a corvette/ship-sloop than frigate with only 16 guns, but I suppose that's just nitpicking. All around she's a great build. Thanks for sharing her! 

Oh one thing: how did you do the name plate?