As they get nearer and nearer to the Arkbri river, two travellers, weary from there exhausting trek across the Oil Road, begin to see trees, and more signs of life sprouting up out of the barren desert.

30108307502_bdac0773ec_c.jpg

Overall, pretty pleased with how this sand technique turned out, pleased enough to order some more of the parts for my next large MOC!

Nice build. I like the use of the rounded plates, as well as the new technique with the palm tree. The irregular base is great, and the barding, along with the monkey, are also nice additions. 

The tree on this scale definitely looks more palm-tree-ish; I know some of the earlier iterations looked a bit like conifers, but this one is more convincingly tropical. I might suggest using brown vine pieces instead of the dark green, since (to my very limited knowledge of botany) the lower hanging things on palm trees are usually dead or dying palm branches. The dark green does not detract however. I like the varied sand colors and the stone path looks appropriately gravel-ish. Nice job!

Nice build, Brick Curve!

I also like the sand and gravel technique, though I am curious if it looks as good if it is done more leveled out.  It seems that this technique somewhat enforces a particular perspective, as the sand and gravel make for one continuous slope upward in real space and cause the road to come to a peak that the horses stand upon.

The palm tree is nice as well, though I agree with Henjin_Quilones that the hanging vines would probably look better in brown.  The dark green is better than not having any, for sure!

The curve plates give a really nice feel to this MOC!  The palm tree also looks pretty good at this scale! :thumbup: 

On 10/12/2016 at 9:38 AM, Brandon Stark said:

Nice build. I like the use of the rounded plates, as well as the new technique with the palm tree. The irregular base is great, and the barding, along with the monkey, are also nice additions. 

On 10/12/2016 at 1:49 PM, The Maestro said:

The road is amazing, it lokks like somethin out of a picture :classic:, can't wait for that larger moc.

18 hours ago, LittleJohn said:

Very nice build, BC, the sand is great, though I especially like the technique works for the road :thumbup:

15 hours ago, Kai NRG said:

The curve plates give a really nice feel to this MOC!  The palm tree also looks pretty good at this scale! :thumbup: 

6 hours ago, soccerkid6 said:

Fun use of round plates! Neat palm tree design too :thumbup:

Thanks everyone!

17 hours ago, Slegengr said:

Nice build, Brick Curve!

I also like the sand and gravel technique, though I am curious if it looks as good if it is done more leveled out.  It seems that this technique somewhat enforces a particular perspective, as the sand and gravel make for one continuous slope upward in real space and cause the road to come to a peak that the horses stand upon.

The palm tree is nice as well, though I agree with Henjin_Quilones that the hanging vines would probably look better in brown.  The dark green is better than not having any, for sure!

Thanks.  Good point, thats something I will have to experiment with.  

On 10/12/2016 at 11:45 AM, Henjin_Quilones said:

The tree on this scale definitely looks more palm-tree-ish; I know some of the earlier iterations looked a bit like conifers, but this one is more convincingly tropical. I might suggest using brown vine pieces instead of the dark green, since (to my very limited knowledge of botany) the lower hanging things on palm trees are usually dead or dying palm branches. The dark green does not detract however. I like the varied sand colors and the stone path looks appropriately gravel-ish. Nice job!

Glad I finally got the trees right!  Great idea about the brown vines, I will defiantly use them instead of the dark green ones next time.  Thanks for the advice!

A very interesting technique for the road and sand, it works nicely. Really loving that Palm tree though, looks great! :thumbup:

Edited by Legofin2012

16 minutes ago, Legofin2012 said:

A very interesting technique for the road and sand, it works nicely. Really loving that Palm tree though, looks great! :thumbup:

Thanks!

I really like that stack of round plates for the sand - can totally see why you're pleased with it. ^^ Love the monkey 'sprouting up' lol :D

When looking from afar, those stacked plate pieces really do blend well. The palm tree is your best yet!

the plates work indeed very well, especially combined with the road-technique!

Very nice tree :classic:
I think the sand technique turned out ok, but it will probably work better at a significantly larger scale. Definitely has potential for one of those parts-intensive exhibition builds!

Nice technique used on the sand, maybe cover the road a little bit with sand would look more natural.
The palm tree is very interesting and looks naturally shaped. Well done. :classic:

On 14/10/2016 at 2:39 PM, Blufiji said:

When looking from afar, those stacked plate pieces really do blend well. The palm tree is your best yet!

Thanks.

On 15/10/2016 at 1:36 AM, TitusV said:

the plates work indeed very well, especially combined with the road-technique!

That was the effect was aiming for, almost like a smaller scale version of the curved plate sand dunes.

On 15/10/2016 at 6:59 AM, Gideon said:

Very nice tree :classic:
I think the sand technique turned out ok, but it will probably work better at a significantly larger scale. Definitely has potential for one of those parts-intensive exhibition builds!

Thanks!  Yes, the sand technique doesn't work that well for models of this size, it creates more of a pixeled effect than would look natural, it should definitely look better in a larger scale MOC, probably one I will finish towards the end of the year.

On 15/10/2016 at 4:04 PM, Niku said:

Nice technique used on the sand, maybe cover the road a little bit with sand would look more natural.
The palm tree is very interesting and looks naturally shaped. Well done. :classic:

Good idea, thanks!

Edited by BrickCurve