JopieK

BrickTracks: different curves, PF/9V compatible

Recommended Posts

@coaster thanks for your update and summary about what's going on behind your curtains. Sounds all great! Good that you do not promise everything to be in the shelves soon but make clear announcements what's important for you.

Personally I am looking forward to the R104 switch Kickstarter! 

All the best for your business, 

Holger 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, coaster said:

We've had a number of people ask about train axles.  Yes, we do make them for BMR for their kits.  They are specially ground to be .0005" (.01mm) smaller than the current LEGO ones (the old version from LEGO was this size) to work with off-the-shelf ball bearings, but they do still work just fine in the normal wheelsets, too.  We've refined our process, and are currently waiting on material to come in, but we will start selling these as well.  So if you are in the market for a lot of axles, please keep an eye on here and our site.

Are there plans to produce a drop-in replacement wheel set that is meant specifically for use for ball bearings? I'm referring to part #2878c01/2878c02.

I had plans to develop a 3D-printable version for myself once my semester is over, but I've concluded that my printer would not be able to handle the tolerances required to make this possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update Coaster. I know many of us are eagerly awaiting the switch Kickstarter to begin. I myself need quite a few and I’m sure the LUG will make a contribution as well!

Keep up the good work!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi @coaster..

Thanks for this update. 

 

one question: the kickstarter project for the switches, are they for PF trains only or also prepared for 9V use?

I guess, with the high cost of a mold that this mold would be used for PF track as well as for 9v track, or am I wrong?

just thinking that the mold could have a metal inlay for molding the 9V version (where the metal track would be inserted), and when removing this inlay, you fill the gap with ABS and become a 100% PF track.

I know nothing abouth molds and the possibilities to make them 'universal' so from there my question.

b.t.w. I've met yesterday someneone on a LEGO event here in Belgium and he's - as all the reviews i've read so far - also very positive abouth the quality of the PF curved tracks.:sweet:

Keep up the good work.

Ludo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/13/2018 at 7:18 PM, Phoxtane said:

Are there plans to produce a drop-in replacement wheel set that is meant specifically for use for ball bearings? I'm referring to part #2878c01/2878c02.

I had plans to develop a 3D-printable version for myself once my semester is over, but I've concluded that my printer would not be able to handle the tolerances required to make this possible.

That is an interesting idea.  I hadn't considered something like that, but next time I get a chance I'll sketch something up.

13 hours ago, Ludo said:

Hi @coaster..

Thanks for this update. 

 

one question: the kickstarter project for the switches, are they for PF trains only or also prepared for 9V use?

I guess, with the high cost of a mold that this mold would be used for PF track as well as for 9v track, or am I wrong?

just thinking that the mold could have a metal inlay for molding the 9V version (where the metal track would be inserted), and when removing this inlay, you fill the gap with ABS and become a 100% PF track.

I know nothing abouth molds and the possibilities to make them 'universal' so from there my question.

b.t.w. I've met yesterday someneone on a LEGO event here in Belgium and he's - as all the reviews i've read so far - also very positive abouth the quality of the PF curved tracks.:sweet:

Keep up the good work.

Ludo

Thanks Ludo!  The switches will be just PF for now.  Since I'm unsure how the final design for 9V will look, I can't preemptively build it into the tooling.  The tooling could be reworked though in the future if needs be.  However, some 9V portions, such as the alternating rail power that gets passed through the switch arm, will get built into the tooling now, so we'll be able to install stamped pieces if/when we get it figured out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@coaster

keep in mind, that people running with DCC need to bridge the contact in the switch arm.

I think its better to make it possible to open the bottom plate to bridge the contact, and re close it on en easy way.

Melting pins like the LEGO switches is not the best solution.

Perhaps using small screws instead of the plastic pins to melt? 

It's just an idea you know, but I've seen already - very few - people running their LEGO trains with DCC on a 9V track.

Best regards,

Ludo

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome coaster! Do you have a link to the ball bearings supplier?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually don't have a good supplier for those.  I think most people have been getting them off ebay with mostly good results.  @Cale might have a source for them since they use them for the BMR kits.  At worst, he might sell them to you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jrathfon said:

Awesome coaster! Do you have a link to the ball bearings supplier?

 

9 hours ago, coaster said:

I actually don't have a good supplier for those.  I think most people have been getting them off ebay with mostly good results.  @Cale might have a source for them since they use them for the BMR kits.  At worst, he might sell them to you.

The bearings you want are MR52ZZ 2x5x2.5mm. If you are looking for smaller quantities, eBay is probably your best bet. There are numerous sellers on there, all comparable in price. Just know that most of the sellers are from overseas and usually ship the cheapest (slowest) way possible. So it may take a month to get your bearings.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/10pcs-2-5-2-5mm-Miniature-Model-Bearing-MR52ZZ-2x5x2-5mm-for-Spinner-bearing/352188703107?hash=item5200152183:g:etsAAOSwc2FZ55IT

At BMR we buy our bearings directly from a manufacturer through Alibaba. We're buying thousands of bearings at a time though.

Even if I sold our bearings at cost, I would have a hard time beating the eBay sellers.

Cale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.