What have you been smoking?

Certainly none of the current crap from TLG. But what rock have you been living under for the last 7 years or so?

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=30439&st=0

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/22448/quality-issues-broken-parts/p1

Loads of pics in those threads. I have many sets from that era, quite a bit bought MISB and about 250.000 spare bricks that was made before the year 2000. NONE of them have ANY of the issues complained about today

So yeah, the quality of the sets from back then is much better. You may not like the designs or functions, but that is another thing :wink:

Cheers,

Ole

Certainly none of the current crap from TLG. But what rock have you been living under for the last 7 years or so?

http://www.eurobrick...opic=30439&st=0

http://bricksetforum...broken-parts/p1

Loads of pics in those threads. I have many sets from that era, quite a bit bought MISB and about 250.000 spare bricks that was made before the year 2000. NONE of them have ANY of the issues complained about today

So yeah, the quality of the sets from back then is much better. You may not like the designs or functions, but that is another thing :wink:

Cheers,

Ole

You may not have had any of the issues in those threads, but that doesn't mean they didn't exist. And there were plenty of other issues with some of those older parts as well—parts like the finger hinges or "toothed" Technic bushings that could be broken easily, parts like the old Castle corner wall panels that were designed in such a way that they were easily bent out of shape, and colors that both looked worse and, once out of the boxes, were much quicker to fade and yellow. And that's not even getting into things like print quality that have generally improved dramatically over time.

I grew up in the '90s, and I'm generally far happier with the sets and parts of today than I was with most of those older sets and parts.

I grew up in the early 70's/80's and you're way off

There's was NO colour issues, theres was NO cracking and there was NO crappy stickers either. Yup, the finger hinges and the Technic tooth parts did behave badly if you abused them. If you didn't, no problem. I have at least 300 castle pieces, never bent any. Never heard of it either. Try searching LUGnet (that goes back to pre 2K) for any reports of bending castle panels. I find none

Print quality have not improved. It's getting more advanced yes, but it has not improved. Show me otherwise please

Never ever seen parts with colour problems out of the box, nor have I heard of them (80's sets), but yup, there's been a massive problem due to the flame reatardents TLG used. They fazed them out, all was good and then they turned to cheap megablocks colourless pellets with diy injection. All is all crap now

While I do not buy modern sets for myself, I have bought at least 200 SW/Ninjago/Chima/Nexo sets for my son and it's appalling to see the colour inconsistencies in just about every set. The last set I bought for myself was the 42009 and that had at least four different shades of yellow (not to mention being a very poorly designed set with overstressed motors/gears)

Only the best is actually good enough for me. Not the "best" with loads of bells and whistles to distract me from the fact that the basic quality is rather poor

Each to their own, I guess :)

Now back to trains ..

As I've written earlier, I know of no new (normal) trains for 2016 and to make it worse I've not heard if any new trains for 2017 either :angry:

The designs are vastly superior and the one thing I have noticed about Lego over the likes of Megabloks (if I'm comparing like for like) or Transformers (Hasbro, Takara or third party, if I were to compare to my other obsession), is that the quality of the pieces and the care given to making sure everything that should be there is there is second to none.

I've no doubt errors have surfaced, anything with humans involved inevitably has errors, but to say modern sets are plagued with them is utterly untrue (especially when they are far more complex and have far larger parts counts these days).

I hardly see the point. Virtually all the classic sets are light years behind the quality of modern sets, so are unlikely to be of interest to anybody outside of the small group of hardcore classic Lego train collectors.

Also, lest we forget, the vast majority of classic train sets, powered or otherwise, rely heavily on parts that Lego no longer has the machinery to make.

I meant that they could modernize the classic trains.

I meant that they could modernize the classic trains.

It'd be pretty cool to see a updated Metroliner or Santa Fe, with updated parts and building techniques. One consolation though: It has to have a full train or at least a club car.

It'd be pretty cool to see a updated Metroliner or Santa Fe, with updated parts and building techniques. One consolation though: It has to have a full train or at least a club car.

I'd like to see a new Metroliner to be the successor to the next passenger train

and with recent news about the new Power Functions 2.0 launching soon I can see the next wave of train sets to include these plug and play Power Functions. only problem is, it is NOT backwards compatible with V1 since they are doing away with the brick connector and going to a plug. But there is good news to that, it will be bluetooth controlled so you know what that means, especially if LEGO releases an API to let people make apps.

I hate to get off topic, (or sound like an ingrate), but does anyone have any hard facts to add to this conversation?

Not really, but just to recap...

City releases appear to have a four year pattern (2006 + 2010 + 2014) with a 'bonus train' thrown a year later for the last two (2011 + 2015) so I'd be surprised if we see anything until 2018.

It's all gone very quiet on the Creator train front - just a supposition, but possibly due to the fairground sets taking the 'slot'? Again, it could be a long wait...

And finally - the much rumoured Winter Train! I suppose we're just waiting for confirmation/pictures - looking back at past WV sets, there is usually a heads-up in late May, followed by a full reveal in late July/early August, so hopefully we'll get something soon :)

Is there a thread elsewhere on EB about the new PF?

Edited by PeteM

*snip*

with recent news about the new Power Functions 2.0 launching soon I can see the next wave of train sets to include these plug and play Power Functions. only problem is, it is NOT backwards compatible with V1 since they are doing away with the brick connector and going to a plug. But there is good news to that, it will be bluetooth controlled so you know what that means, especially if LEGO releases an API to let people make apps.

WHY would they do away with the 2x2 connectors and go to plug-in connectors???

*That does not compute*

Are they trying to be like Apple and edge out third party competitors??? (ie SBrick)

I mean, YaY for bluetooth control!! (which should've been there in the 1st place)

The only reason I could see for pin style connectors is to save on space, which would be greatly appreciated, but honestly, if these '2.0' components aren't at least 25-50% smaller then I can't see much benefit in switching over. There are many people who are still clinging on to the last few era (9v) of power systems, some of which have started to convert to, or made hybrid systems with PF.

And now TLG is changing it up again?

Well, it's a good thing I personally am studying electronics; Maybe I can bypass some of this bs...

Anyways, any word if the WV Train will be powered or not?

I'm envisioning a $200 usd set without PF elements, but with 16 curves and 8 straights; A 60-40 split on # of parts between a mixed traffic train and a WV styled station; About 4-8 minifigs & one cat, dog, or horse fig.

WHY would they do away with the 2x2 connectors and go to plug-in connectors???

[...]

Anyways, any word if the WV Train will be powered or not?

I'm envisioning a $200 usd set without PF elements, but with 16 curves and 8 straights; A 60-40 split on # of parts between a mixed traffic train and a WV styled station; About 4-8 minifigs & one cat, dog, or horse fig.

As someone still clinging on to the 12v system, some compatible connectors would be very welcome ;) (I know that they won't be!)

I'm also thinking unpowered but including track for the WV Train - similar contents to the Constitution set, though hopefully not in the same style....

While I do not buy modern sets for myself, I have bought at least 200 SW/Ninjago/Chima/Nexo sets for my son and it's appalling to see the colour inconsistencies in just about every set. The last set I bought for myself was the 42009 and that had at least four different shades of yellow (not to mention being a very poorly designed set with overstressed motors/gears)

I think you need to settle down a little bit, there. I know that atleast one of my 90's castle walls broke. As for new brick shade mis-matching, I've only experienced this with the Horizon Express having two shades of orange brick. This is after going through the gambit of buying and building a large number of recent City, Movie and Creator sets.

As I've written earlier, I know of no new (normal) trains for 2016 and to make it worse I've not heard if any new trains for 2017 either :angry:

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a problem with this. Let 60051, 60052 and 60098 simmer for a while. They're good sets that deserve plenty of spotlight. I'm more interested in any possibility of another Creator train.

I honestly don't think there will be a PF 2.0 anytime soon... Unless you can prove me wrong, it would make no sense for them to release a whole new system...

-RailCo

I honestly don't think there will be a PF 2.0 anytime soon... Unless you can prove me wrong, it would make no sense for them to release a whole new system...

-RailCo

Here's proof that there are new "Power Functions" elements: https://education.lego.com/en-us/elementary/shop/wedo-2

But this won't replace the PF system we have now, it's just a system that exists as well for education purposes.

I can't see PF 2.0 replacing the simplicity of the PF 1.0 Infrared train system any time soon. Needing a computer or smart phone with bluetooth adds to the costs and complexity of getting a starter train set running. Plus a child dropping a IR train controller on the floor is not as disasterous as a smart phone screen on impact. :classic:

It could be a system that supports both techniques.

Exactly, it would be a great way to add more functionality but at the same time still let you choose between each system. I like the idea of using my phone as the controller or tablet but I do know there is a limit on how many bluetooth devices can be controlled at once without a hub to control them. Currently the iPhone can only connect to one bluetooth device at one time, however if that device was a bluetooth hub connected to multiple devices that would be different.

This is where WifiDirect comes in, it has no limit on how many you can connect to at once since it uses the Wifi antenna and the Wifi bandwidth.

Another nice thing about WifiDirect is no authentication certificate license is required so there is no licensing fee to use it, unlike Bluetooth so it will be cheaper to utilize not to mention faster. The other nice thing about WifiDirect is as long as your on the Wifi in your home network you can be alot further away than Bluetooth allows. There are so many different possibilities making Power Functions digital in this "Digital Age"

I can see TLG making this for the trains and adding to the "wow factor". Because the IR is very limited, I get frustrated by that especially if you have a curve and you can't see the train because of something like furniture or a wall is in the way, you can't control it until the train is sight. Bluetooth/WifiDirect can change alot of that. And another neat bonus would be for LEGO to do something really cool and have an official app that lets you use real sounds (outputting on the control device) like a steam engine chugging based on speed, or diesel humming based on speed etc so many neat things can be done with this if its done right!

And finally - the much rumoured Winter Train! I suppose we're just waiting for confirmation/pictures - looking back at past WV sets, there is usually a heads-up in late May, followed by a full reveal in late July/early August, so hopefully we'll get something soon :)

Winter Train is arriving October, and is an entirely new design. No Fairground set this year, sorry!

Winter Train is arriving October, and is an entirely new design. No Fairground set this year, sorry!

Just in time for the Christmas gift shopping season. :classic:

Do you know what it looks like?

Feels like Lego has dropped the ball on that new yellow cargo train repainted red and resold deal. I hate when companies repackage something with different colors, small changes in looks, and call it "new."

It is in no way a re colour of the yellow freight train. The only similarity is the use of the canopy pieces, other than that it is a completely different train. And honestly, I liked it a *lot* more than the blue train, who's loco has long since been dismantled for parts, and who's wagons, overall, aren't, as interesting as the red freight train's wagons (particularly that hopper, which is my favorite wagon since the yellow train's tanker). The only real check against the red train is slightly less track (the plastic track is useless to me anyway) and a slightly smaller piece of scenery (or more accurately, slightly less bits for MOC fodder).

WOW bombshell dropped! - Cool that the train is arriving in October :wub: - so I guess the rumored Carousel is not happening this year :sceptic:

Hope it's something good.....

We can dream, doing more HO scale since I joined a club with the 6 yr old than anything else. Working 12/14 nights for 3 mths isn't helping.

I'm guessing it'll either be a 4-4-0 or a 4-6-0, with some themed wagons. Like an updated 2005 Christmas train. But I really want it to be something big like a 2-6-4 with a full passenger train like the Orient Express or Polar Express.