USA shop website:

We have experienced delays in shipping the Porsche and are working tirelessly to correct the issue. As always, our design team has focused on designing a premium product and we want to ensure that it arrives at your doorstep in premium condition.

Sariel... Thank you for a detailed and honest review. The hype leading up to the release had me almost convinced that I must have the Porsche, but your review and Jim's review convinced me otherwise.

This will be a great $175 parts pack, when that happens I will buy it as a parts pack, not expecting a great Technic set.

August is just around the corner, I am looking forward to those sets, I will likely buy all three (now that I'm not buying the Porsche).

I am one of the Technic fans that prefers function over form.

Andy D

.I am one of the Technic fans that prefers function over form.

ok then you shouldn't criticise this set at all....you actually shouldn't even be interested on it at all....because this set is not meant to be too "functional"....but rather good looking!

The 8070 had 4 useless and easy to design functions and looks dull and cheap compared to the porsche......why so much hate for this porsche then? Guess it's the price...

.because this set is not meant to be too "functional"....but rather good looking!

They could do it in the creator section as the F-40 ad not in the technic one.... From a technic model you expect functions first and then looking, or not?

Not really...because this could be just the start of a series of technic sportcars/supercars with less functions, more technic look like but still far away from creator! And since we have it now why people needs to complain and moan about it? It's already made....it's what it is....if you don't like it don't buy it.....

You probably won't even get close to enough to buy the Porsche.

No one in the right mind would think that selling 8070 is enough to buy the Porsche haha. Of course I'll have to put it some money as well.

No one in the right mind would think that selling 8070 is enough to buy the Porsche haha. Of course I'll have to put it some money as well.

It's called "part exchange" :grin: :grin: :tongue:

I've just met designers today, and from their point of view the Porsche is an addition to the regular Technic sets. They perceive the bucket excavator, Claas tractor and Volvo excavator as the core sets and Porsche being something done a bit "on the side".

On a more important note, they have also clearly confirmed that THE PORSCHE IS THE FIRST CAR OF A SERIES. No news about the following sets, though. It sounds like they haven't really gotten around to actually planning them yet.

I've just met designers today, and from their point of view the Porsche is an addition to the regular Technic sets. They perceive the bucket excavator, Claas tractor and Volvo excavator as the core sets and Porsche being something done a bit "on the side".

On a more important note, they have also clearly confirmed that THE PORSCHE IS THE FIRST CAR OF A SERIES. No news about the following sets, though. It sounds like they haven't really gotten around to actually planning them yet.

Despite the problems with the porsche I see that as entirely good news.

lol im kinda happy i didn't get this set as far as i can see...

the only thing that i like are all those orange panels *.*

I've just met designers today, and from their point of view the Porsche is an addition to the regular Technic sets.

that was clear from the beginning.....you missed this all point in your harsh review.

nevermind...I'm glad for the good news! And cenrtanly we will all enjoy this beautiful set afterall.

Edited by TheItalianBrick

On a more important note, they have also clearly confirmed that THE PORSCHE IS THE FIRST CAR OF A SERIES.

Did they say a series of car sets or just a series of sets?

Thanks for the feedback Sariel, I hope we hear a summary soon!

Ambivalent news, I am happy that there will be a new product line indeed, I really hope for some Off-roaders too.

The Porsche could be a "side" project, but still a LEGO product with same standards as usual, so most of the claims are still valid - no excuses.

I consider this as lesson learned by TLG, wiser and honest marketing strategy will applied. Looking forward to the future sets! :wink:

Edited by agrof

that was clear from the beginning.....you missed this all point in your harsh review.

nevermind...I'm glad for the good news! And cenrtanly we will all enjoy this beautiful set afterall.

Sariel didn't miss anything. It's cool you like the set, but Sariel's opinion is valid and he has good reasons for his opinion. Show a little more respect.

Sariel didn't miss anything. It's cool you like the set, but Sariel's opinion is valid and he has good reasons for his opinion. Show a little more respect.

I don't think it's respectless, when one is pointing on a thing Sariel might have overlooked. ItallianBrick just stated is opinion in calling the review harsh. Sariel is just a famous AFOL not a god!

I never claimed Sariel is a god, but perhaps you need to explain to me what Sariel may have overlooked when it was Lego themselves who claimed this an "ultimate" set? Hell, the certificate you get from the dashboard code even says this. "On the side" or "addition" is a completely different ballgame than "ultimate". Not talking about the functions it does not have, but the ones it does have already needed mods to work properly. ItalianBrick likes the set for what it is, which I can understand (especially if you avoided all of the marketing Lego has thrown at us for this set), while Sariel feels the set isn't as advertised by Lego and below Lego's standards even (gearbox 1>3>2>4 "working as intended"? What happened to striving for the best TLG?).

I never said I would not agree with Sariels review. For me it is to flawed to pay a whopping 300€ for it. It would be a simple partspackage. But when looking at it as a DISPLAY-MODEL it might be great. I think that was the thing Itallian Brick wanted to throw into the room.

You never said he is a god. You just behaved like it. From what i read Itallian Brick was never respectless. He just put a vallid point. And this point is the question from which perspective the review is made. Jim stated it nice. To answer wether the Porsche is good or not is to answer what you expect. For a technic set it looks good and the lines are well formed. From the mechanics side: Its a simple nightmare. Its inaccuracy brings me to shed tears. It's not working properly. But hey if you just want a pretty set with a pretty packaging for display: Put it on your shelf.

I never said I would not agree with Sariels review.

Never said you didn't, I just wanted to know what you think it was that Sariel missed in his review. The thing that is so clear to ItalianBrick, yet lost to the rest of us?

For me it is to flawed to pay a whopping 300€ for it. It would be a simple partspackage

Me neither, but luckily discounts are usually pretty easy here, just have to wait for august. I'll build it, but it will probably end up as a parts package.

But when looking at it as a DISPLAY-MODEL it might be great. I think that was the thing Itallian Brick wanted to throw into the room.

Or is this what Sariel supposedly missed? Can't really blame him for that, even if it is a display set, it's Technic. Basically required by Lego law for it to have functions that work combined with that slick body, if not, it would have been better off in any other theme. With a faulty gearbox the only thing it does more than good old Model Team is having suspension. Or in case of the current Creator cars: steering and suspension. Which are both so basic in setup on the Porsche, it could have worked in that theme too.

On a more important note, they have also clearly confirmed that THE PORSCHE IS THE FIRST CAR OF A SERIES.
I really don't mind having such set every, say, 3 years.

ok then you shouldn't criticise this set at all....you actually shouldn't even be interested on it at all....because this set is not meant to be too "functional"....but rather good looking!

The 8070 had 4 useless and easy to design functions and looks dull and cheap compared to the porsche......why so much hate for this porsche then? Guess it's the price...

Not meant to be functional? Then why doesn't it have the "Racer" theme on the box?

I am sorry to disagree with you, but the main focus of this model is the functioning gearbox. If good looks were the primary focus, then they would have switched out the color of pins and done something with those big gaps under the headlights.

I really don't mind having such set every, say, 3 years.

I doubt they started a new one already. Porsche costing 3 years and all, then again Porsche being a side project, that may have been on the "off hours"? So full commitment might be faster. Still I am guessing they are aiming for each 4-5 years.

Edited by Appie

What was so harsh about the review? It looked rather honest to me. Unlike some of these other reviews out there claiming how perfect that it is just because they received the set for free.