CopMike

75098 Assault on Hoth

Like others, I have been waiting for official pics of this set ever since the infamous video that appeared to reveal the upcoming 'UCS' Hoth set.

Foolishly, I thought that after that video received such a bad reaction, TLG had gone back and re-designed this set which is why there was a huge delay in it being released. Unfortunately, i was wrong. They simply delayed releasing what was shown in the Video last year.

The annoying thing for me is that I LOVE Hoth and I will definitely buy this set. I just wont enjoy parting with £200 for a handful of new figures and miniature Shield generators and Ion Cannon. Damn you Lego!!

Thank you very much for this press release, CopMike! :classic:

Pro:

+ some great new minifigures

+ many minifigs at all

+ nice looking transport vehicle

+ finally an ion cannon

+ exterior structure looks quite good

+ left and right gate parts can be opend by only turning one switch

Con:

- minimum two many important missing characters (medical droid and Hoth Leia)

- no medical room

- no recreation room

- nearly only a summary of all Hoth sets we've seen so far

- shield generator has only three instead of four parts

- "high seat" is absolutely out of place

- control center is no seperate, closed room

- crane has a bad load hook

- ugly to see the whole machinery of the opening function of the gate

- really bad price ratio performance (150 Euros would be a fitting price for what you get, but not 250 Euros)

For me this set is firstly a HUGE DISAPPOINTMENT since TLG onesided concentrated on the action elements and omitted nearly completely the "civilian" aspects. Plus this set is for sure NO UCS SET since it's only a throwing-together of several playsets with a target audience to only JFOLs, but is NO BUILDING EXPERIENCE FOR AFOLS! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

It's only with very seldom things, but which concerns a Hoth Base with decent interior and an UCS Cloud City TLG simply ignores our wishes! :cry_sad:

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

I am just shacking my head in disbelief when people say this is targeted for young kids...

I dont know about you guys but when I was a kid I only got sets for 70 - 100 bucks tops, how would parents ever say yes to such a set that costs this absurdly much while basically being and looking like a combination of several small sets.

I can see that a lot of parents will just say the 2 magical words "too expensive" to their kids and buy them a battlepack or something of the size of Reys Speeder instead.

Also, how many kids are even so big into the OT that they just want to have this set anyway instead of all the cheaper Rebels Sets that are based on a running TV show?

So, not only is the design, price and UCS label a problem in my eyes, but also the circumstances and context in that this set is released.

I just have to assume Lego saw "the problems" in a similar and thought the UCS Label was going to be the only saving grace to get this Set sold to people who are heavily into collection.

^ What most people including me meant was that the set type is rathe kid-oriented playset (this is regarding look, detailing, building techniques - certainly nothing more advanced than standard playsets here). Price is obviously not parent friendly and a lot of people correctly pointed out this disbalance as well...

Oh yeah no I understand why, its just.... what I meant to say was: I am just shacking my head in disbelief that Lego suggests this set for young kids...

or actually, since its too expensive as a playset and not good enough as a display/collectors set, shacking my head in disbelief that Lego suggests this set for anyone really :wacko:

Hey, count me in! :laugh:

Jokes aside, am I the only one here that think that the E-Web cannon used by the snowtroopers is a little bit oversized?

Oversized? Judging by the formidable size of the rebel force they are about to encounter I think they are going to need an even bigger gun!

shacking my head in disbelief that Lego suggests this set for anyone really :wacko:

Yep. my thoughts.

It's for those with cash to burn and a knack for lego collecting but they aren't too picky as long as the set is big and showy. It's definitely showy even if it's not great for that.

I've actually sold all the Hoth sets I've bought from the Wampa Cave to the Battle Of Hoth. Some of the figures have been good but nothing that really tells me to keep hold of it. Now with this set it's like they're putting them all back together and giving me a chance to pick them up again with the addition of some nice figs, both updates and new.

The Snowspeeder matches up with last year's single release speeder with the main pilot and the rear gunner so having Luke/Dak makes sense now we're being given Wedge/Hobbie and we've wanted Hobbie for a while as well as an update for Wedge. It doesn't look like Wedge is too updated but the helmet does look like there's a bit of wear on it so that's nice. All in all the figures are really nice with K-3PO, Major Derlin and Toryn Farr although I think this was a great opportunity to give us the giveaway Han but in blue this time... that would have been a nice touch.

I think if they'd even just added some of the elements from the 7879 Echo Base in this such as the Bacta Tank and expanded the ops room out a little it would have presented so much better and been received with a little more warmth. As I moved on the Hoth sets it means that buying this set wouldn't mean replicating anything and would remove the need to go to the secondary market for the figures. I'm thinking the 8 updates/new figs would be enough on the secondary to make buying the set a serious option even at a seemingly exaggerated price. I might sell the Wampa on to get a little something back and having a second Tauntaun for Han to accompany the one I already have for Luke is also a plus.

If I can pick up a used 7879 without the figures I'll certainly go for that to expand this set and make it the set it probably should have been in the first place. Maybe a £20 BL order for some white slopes to expand the outer area might also be in order at some point...

It's definitely showy snowy even if it's not great for that.

Fixed that for you :wink:

Now with this set introduced (I'm only interested in UCS display sets, so this is a pass for me), will the UCS Sandcrawler retire soon?

Im with you. Im definitely buying this and adding it to my battle of hoth moc scene. I would have preferred a $500 with more to it though.

I am with you guys as well. I like this set and will be buying it. Long live The UCS Hoth Rebel Alliance!

I have several of the old Hoth sets but I'll be getting this one. The only thing I'm unsure of is whether or not I'll also get 75138: Hoth Attack.

I also hope there will be some way to get a Hoth-based Leia soon. What a shame she won't be included in this set.

Oh yeah no I understand why, its just.... what I meant to say was: I am just shacking my head in disbelief that Lego suggests this set for young kids...

or actually, since its too expensive as a playset and not good enough as a display/collectors set, shacking my head in disbelief that Lego suggests this set for anyone really :wacko:

I completely agree with you, BigEl!

On the one hand the set is too expensive that a decent number of JFOLs will buy this set. On the other hand it's absolutely no UCS but only a combination of several playsets aimed to children, so many AFOLs won't buy this set. I really do not understand why TLG did that bad job ... :angry:

Klaus-Dieter

I also hope there will be some way to get a Hoth-based Leia soon. What a shame she won't be included in this set.

Perhaps the May the Fourth polybag will ne Hoth Leia, but if not her absence is puzzling. You'd assume we won't be getting many more Hoth sets for a while, this would have been the percent opportunity to update her.

I agree with some of the earlier posters that I will be saving my usual LEGO budget on not having to buy this set or the UCS Batman sets. Compensates for the whopping Ghostbusters HQ bill at the start of this year I guess.

Still, this combined with the lack of needing to (re) buy the WV Toy Shop end of last year means my expenditure on LEGO has gone down lately. Also, there are no awesome new lines yet that are tempting me like there were last year (e.g. Elves and Scooby).

All in all feeling sad there are less compelling reasons to spend money on LEGO lately... But I suspect the recently announced Technic sets including the Porsche will redeem that.

I don't mind so much that it's a play style set (although I prefer models much more) so much as the fact that it just doesn't look like a 2,000 piece set, or make any kind of a statement. The Death Star looks and feels like every one of its 3800 pieces, in fact even more so. Take the Ewok Village at 2,000 pieces--it makes much more of a statement. Both of those sets have cohesion. Hoth just seems hodge podge. They should have gone big with this set, 3,000+, not gone home.

Finally a new Wedge and Janson, I was afraid of the gray helmets like 75074 Snowspeeder Pilot but this pictures make me happy, the sad part is the price but this is the best way to get Hoth Rebel Troops with correct uniform.

Oh well, a bigger Ion cannon and maybe an ages-overdue rebel transport ship would have been nice, but hey .. no reason to go on a ridiculous rant.

This set may not be for most of us, but I guess it makes sense, even if it's a bit pricey.

When was the last time we had a Taun-taun or a Wampa? And the first Echo base with a white protocol droid dates back to 2007! Many kids playing with LEGO Star Wars today weren't even born yet in 2007.

The set appears to have a massive problem with value perception though. In order to catch the whole assemblage, the photo is so zoomed out that

even the massive gate in the center looks small-ish.

Anyway, it also appears that many members have a lot of trouble managing their own expectations.

Some were hoping for a display set, but we're going to get a playset instead -> all hell breaks loose. Well tough luck, and there are no trees on Hoth!

The degree of entitlement, mixed with real or pretended cluelessness regarding LEGO design style is amazing (TLG makes TOYS for KIDS, doh!).

Especially when coming from fans acting as if they have never seen a LEGO Star Wars set before. How embarrassing.

Designing a play set got to be a pretty thankless job. So this set is just a collection of already released sets, but OMG why is the sickbay missing?! We want new figures, but but HOW DARE THEY put in new ION CANNON GIRL instead of little princess who, let's face it, does NOTHING other than even missing her own fricking designated transport.

Some posters were seriously expecting a 6000-elements klutz of a fan convention display piece of mostly white bricks? For maybe 189.99, at that?

Mates, that joke is on you! :laugh:

The degree of entitlement, mixed with real or pretended cluelessness regarding LEGO design style is amazing (TLG makes TOYS for KIDS, doh!).

The Death Star and Ewok Village are some of the most beloved sets ever made, so I'm not sure how it's a thankless job. Also, you seem to be unfamiliar with the originating concept of the UCS line, or the vast majority of those sets.

Now with this set introduced (I'm only interested in UCS display sets, so this is a pass for me), will the UCS Sandcrawler retire soon?

I have a feeling this set will replace Ewok Village and the next UCS set due later in the year will replace the Sandcrawler which is why I plan on making it my next purchase when the double VIP promo starts next month (hopefully)

@Beckmesser

You sound pretty salty about the amount of critique thats coming towards the set.

Cant stand that Lego fans dont hype up yet another overprized and underwhelming set to heaven like many of them do a lot of times?

Its obvious that you havent read the critique and if you did you probably just read what you wanted to read.

And judging by our agressive tone its probably pointless to even argue with you.

Btw: Who cares about a Tauntaun or a Wampa that already exist or a white protocol droid. Those minor elements by themselves are not what make a big set like this great...

Edited by BigEl