SkaForHire

Brethren of the Brick Seas (BoBS) Introduction and Starting Thread

Back to the map topic, I'm setting up individual island maps that I can easily add landmarks to. Each individual island map will be added to a larger map of all the islands of the Sea of Thieves and the Prio Sea. Here is the island map of Cocovia:

30322022175_567ce9a8c0_c.jpg

Those are looking fabulous, Mike! And I remember when you first signed up: "I probably wont be very active..." :pir-grin:

45 minutes ago, Bregir said:

Those are looking fabulous, Mike! And I remember when you first signed up: "I probably wont be very active..." :pir-grin:

And so I thought. I've realized that I'm actually more productive in the pirate theme as my ideas tend to be on a smaller scale than in castle or space themes. I think I've actually come to think of the BoBS forum as my eurobricks home. Now let's just see how long my interest holds until I get swept into another theme again.?

1 hour ago, Bregir said:

Those are looking fabulous, Mike! ...

I'll second that! :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

And here is the large map with the detailed island maps beginning to be added:

Mike, I love the detailed maps, but don't totally replace the brightly colored ones. For an individual island, those detailed maps are great, but when looking at the lay of the sea, the colors to quickly identify ownership is very useful. FYI.

14 minutes ago, Capt Wolf said:

Mike, I love the detailed maps, but don't totally replace the brightly colored ones. For an individual island, those detailed maps are great, but when looking at the lay of the sea, the colors to quickly identify ownership is very useful. FYI.

Not sure if you noticed, but I planned on using the colored flags to identify ownership. What do you think? World map is going to stay colored for sure but personally I find the single color island maps more appealing. 

Just now, Mike S said:

Not sure if you noticed, but I planned on using the colored flags to identify ownership. What do you think? World map is going to stay colored for sure but personally I find the single color island maps more appealing. 

I like your choice of flags to show control.

I like the flags too, although they seem pretty small on the sample map.

26 minutes ago, Mike S said:

3 minutes ago, Bregir said:

I like the flags too, although they seem pretty small on the sample map.

On a single island map, the new style is great! On the multi-island map, the flags are pretty small. If they were bigger, it might be better. Still, just consider keeping both options rather than replacing one with the other. Different people will have different preferences.

I did notice that the flags ended up being different sizes when I scale the islands to comparative size on the sample map so I'm going to make a template for Island name and ownership info. So when I do that I will make the flags larger so that they are visible on when the map is zoomed out.

Fantastic idea, though I agree with Bregir.

Also I love the style of your maps and all the effort you keep putting into it. I did a paper-drawing of what I imagine Nellisa to be like. If you want to I would love to have that map in your style as well. Nova Terreli would pay 15 DBs for such a map (either to the cartographer or to the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy). If you won't do it no problem at all, then I will do it myself, but it would never look as good!

Nellisa-map

my drawing

texts on computer

Edited by Elostirion

5 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

Fantastic idea, though I agree with Bregir.

Also I love the style of your maps and all the effort you keep putting into it. I did a paper-drawing of what I imagine Nellisa to be like. If you want to I would love to have that map in your style as well. Nova Terreli would pay 15 DBs for such a map (either to the cartographer or to the Royal Society of Natural Philosophy). If you won't do it no problem at all, then I will do it myself, but it would never look as good!

Nellisa-map

my drawing

texts on computer

Those links are perfectly what I need for each island. I'll probably do Nellisa next then.

Nellisa: I wasn't sure about all the locations you had marked. I'm assuming Goncho and Montario are native towns. I can mark roads but I'm not clear on their locations.

30296227006_7e81bb6e53_c.jpg

2 hours ago, Mike S said:

Nellisa: I wasn't sure about all the locations you had marked. I'm assuming Goncho and Montario are native towns. I can mark roads but I'm not clear on their locations.

30296227006_7e81bb6e53_c.jpg

Montario is the newest settlement on the island, controlled by Elsotirion :)

I am not sure about Goncho

5 hours ago, Maxim I said:

Montario is the newest settlement on the island, controlled by Elsotirion :)

I don't believe it's actually a settlement yet, just a prospective settlement.

Thank you Mike, that is fantastic. :-) 

I will surely have some additions in the future, but for now we are perfectly fine with this. The settlements I mentioned don't exist yet. Two of the small ones have one building each, but that's it for now. Definitely looking to change that in the near future and MOC further properties.

I wanted to license my Governor's Palace on Nellisa as the highest level of residence ("Viceroy's Palace"), which unfortunately was rejected by the leadership team, because I did not meet the size requirements of 100x100 studs (=10.000). That's perfectly fine for me. So now I will add another MOC to it and will then be able to license it.

My question however is: How does it count interiors? Here are the details:

* exterior scene: 6.500 studs
* interiors second floor: 500 studs
* interiors first floor: 1.400 studs

Does it count as a total of
a) 6.500 studs
b) 7.000 studs
c) 8.400 studs

I personally think it should be either b) or c), but would definitely love to hear a leadership-decision for this.

This might also be key to future royal MOCs (e.g. imagine a hotel with 50x40 baseplate (=2.000) but five floors fully detailled interiors - should this qualify or not?)

42 minutes ago, Elostirion said:

would definitely love to hear a leadership-decision for this

Me too. This is an interesting point. I was planning a 'Royal' level educational build(s) for Arlinsport. The plan was for 5 individual MOCs, x2 48x48 MOCs of the exterior of the building (one the front façade and driveway etc, the other the rear façade and formal gardens - the building will be 4 stories high).  Then I was planning a minimum of x3 separate 32x32 interior scenes (members lounge, library and laboratory). This would be a total footprint of 7680 studs.

Would this kind of plan be acceptable?  Or is it a strict 10000 stud footprint?

Edited by Ayrlego

I think I can answer this already. KaiNRG discussed my claim for a "Royal License" with the leadership, and the result was basically that it has to have 10.000 studs. At least for the Royal Residence.

What I don't yet know, though, is whether in your MOC the count would be 4.608 (2x48x48) or 7.680 (including the 3x32x32).

I have taken this up in leadership, and we will get back to you when we have a decision. :)

Announcement:

Every property licensed in Nova Terreli till the end of the year (in October, November, December) will be funded with 15 DBs.

Large Properties will even earn 25 DBs.