BrickJagger

Future Castle Sets?

If no medieval themed design has got near 10k votes on ideas for example then TLG will more likely continue with developing lines like Angry Birds before revamping castle stuff :(

I don't think non-medieval licensed themes like Angry Birds really have any influence on what LEGO does with Castle proper.

Now, Nexo Knights, that's a different story. It's been in development for several years (since 2009, I think I heard), so they seem to have timed its release specifically to coincide with a Castle hiatus. But that's not to say Nexo Knights would have to go away before capital-C Castle can come back.

I don't think non-medieval licensed themes like Angry Birds really have any influence on what LEGO does with Castle proper.

I'm sure you're right - I suppose the point I was going for was that if we had more 10K castle sets, we'd stand more chance of attracting TLG's attention... probably jumped the shark a bit! :D

Wow 2009 for NK huh? 7 years and that was the best they could come up with *snigger* #joking #kinda

Wow 2009 for NK huh? 7 years and that was the best they could come up with *snigger* #joking #kinda

NK is well on its way to becoming a very successful theme, thank you very much! :sweet::laugh:

There's going to be a regular Castle theme soon, don't sweat it. I would say next year or the year after, probably the latter.

NK is well on its way to becoming a very successful theme, thank you very much! :sweet::laugh:

There's going to be a regular Castle theme soon, don't sweat it. I would say next year or the year after, probably the latter.

Yeah, the Kardashians are "succesful" too.

Why would Lego put out a regular Castle line when they have their Space-castle soup that's so "succesful", especially with Elves alongside? I expect it will be a little while before we see another regular castle line. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it

Oh - er - sorry if you were involved in NK'd development! I was only teasing (slightly)

Why would Lego put out a regular Castle line when they have their Space-castle soup that's so "succesful", especially with Elves alongside? I expect it will be a little while before we see another regular castle line. I hope I'm wrong, but I doubt it

Yah that's what I'm afraid of! (Although space castle soup means people can buy both space or castle sets to add to the NK theme... Clever marketing/product development if you think about it)

Oh - er - sorry if you were involved in NK'd development! I was only teasing (slightly)

Yah that's what I'm afraid of! (Although space castle soup means people can buy both space or castle sets to add to the NK theme... Clever marketing/product development if you think about it)

That's a fair point, though what castle or space sets are people supposed to buy?

That's a fair point, though what castle or space sets are people supposed to buy?

The new range of castle and space themed box sets that... erm Lego have released... ahh yes...

*cough* that's an even fairer point! :D

I would suggest that they do have an indirect impact on Castle; principally through the fact that TLG has a limited production capacity therefore they can only produce a certain number of sets per year. The production managers and accountants at TLG will always be considering "is this range going to be more popular than that range?" and choosing what they produce accordingly.

I would suggest that they do have an indirect impact on Castle; principally through the fact that TLG has a limited production capacity therefore they can only produce a certain number of sets per year. The production managers and accountants at TLG will always be considering "is this range going to be more popular than that range?" and choosing what they produce accordingly.

This. It's not so much "does this product fill a Castle roll", but rather "do we have the bandwidth for this line". Right now, Lego is running more themes and licenses than ever.

I think the main hurdle is what would make a Castle theme unique? Lego likes themes or plots even in their own evergreen lines - for example, City had swamp police and now the upcoming volcano explorers (or whatever they're called). A generic Castle would require some type of theme or even nameable characters for Lego to drum-up interest in. A generic Castle line seems unlikely now - not when so many people expect to carry some type of banner or IP.

And assuming Lego goes with a Castle line, what other theme or IP will get bumped to accommodate it? And again, before anyone says Lego doesn't have to bump something - they're already heavier on lines than ever.

I don't expect a classic castle theme until 2018 at the earliest.

Right now Nexo Knights and Elves cover a lot of aspects a classic castle theme would or could have. And they went all big for both in terms of characters and even animated series and games.

Ninjago is also still running big, it might have a bearing on how popular castle is, there have not been as many castle sets since. The first original Ninja theme was actually a Castle subtheme back in 1998.

The 2013 Castle line almost feels like the same way as the 2015 Pirates, a single wave.

Right now Nexo Knights and Elves cover a lot of aspects a classic castle theme would or could have. And they went all big for both in terms of characters and even animated series and games.

Ninjago is also still running big, it might have a bearing on how popular castle is, there have not been as many castle sets since. The first original Ninja theme was actually a Castle subtheme back in 1998.

The 2013 Castle line almost feels like the same way as the 2015 Pirates, a single wave.

And not just a single wave, to be honest it was almost a disappointment. Especially because kingdoms and castle (before kingdoms) was such great lines with tons of sets

This. It's not so much "does this product fill a Castle roll", but rather "do we have the bandwidth for this line". Right now, Lego is running more themes and licenses than ever.

I think the main hurdle is what would make a Castle theme unique? Lego likes themes or plots even in their own evergreen lines - for example, City had swamp police and now the upcoming volcano explorers (or whatever they're called). A generic Castle would require some type of theme or even nameable characters for Lego to drum-up interest in. A generic Castle line seems unlikely now - not when so many people expect to carry some type of banner or IP.

And assuming Lego goes with a Castle line, what other theme or IP will get bumped to accommodate it? And again, before anyone says Lego doesn't have to bump something - they're already heavier on lines than ever.

Well, one thing setting Castle apart from Nexo Knights, Ninjago, and the like (which I've brought up previously in this topic) is age range. LEGO Nexo Knights, Ninjago, and Elves are all ages 7+, LEGO Castle is traditionally ages 5+. Of course, with Ninjago now having expanded to include Juniors sets for ages 4–7, perhaps that age distinction might no longer work in favor of non-IP themes like Castle and Pirates. :look:

Then again, if LEGO really does have more themes than ever, that seems to indicate that they HAVE been able to introduce more than they have discontinued. So yes, for now they might be "at capacity", but they've shown that they are able to increase their capacity, and that isn't necessarily on the verge of stopping.

I miss the 80s and 90s. As a kid Lego always had Pirates, Castle, Town, Space and then some random theme… now they have a lot going on. I remember going to the store and saying do I want a pirates set today or a castle. Now I go to the store and there is nothing. But like you others, I don't think Lego will re-introduce a new castle theme until 2018.

The last castle and pirates themes were low on sets, and the pirates theme only lived for a year before disappearing. I am really hoping that Lego will introduce classic castle again, and praying that on of the sets is like a UCS set or something else substantial.

I disagree with this statement. Nexo Knights and Elves cover some of the aspects of a Castle theme, but certainly not a lot.

I don't expect to ever see a real classic Castle theme again, which is heartbreaking. If we do see one, it will likely be a single wave years from now.

I miss the 80s and 90s. As a kid Lego always had Pirates, Castle, Town, Space and then some random theme… now they have a lot going on. I remember going to the store and saying do I want a pirates set today or a castle. Now I go to the store and there is nothing. But like you others, I don't think Lego will re-introduce a new castle theme until 2018.

The last castle and pirates themes were low on sets, and the pirates theme only lived for a year before disappearing. I am really hoping that Lego will introduce classic castle again, and praying that on of the sets is like a UCS set or something else substantial.

Same here. I love how complex and detailed all the new sets are and how well designed they are, but it just seems substance less. There's always the new themes like Nexo Knights or Chima that are a jazzed up remake of older themes, the same simplified remakes upon remakes of City sets, and the constant flow of licensed themes. It seems that Creator, Technic, and Constraction are the only categories constantly putting out well designed and innovative sets. But unfortunately, we aren't going to get more than a smidge of that effort put into a new Castle theme.

But there is some hope. The new City park sets, airfield sets, and trains are showing there's been a bit of a callback to 80s and 90s nostalgia in their design, and hopefully that'll spread in time for the new Castle sets. I wouldn't be too optimistic about it, but even if it's 2012 quality it'll still be half decent. Crossing my fingers for Dragon Riders or 2009 fantasy though.

Well, one thing setting Castle apart from Nexo Knights, Ninjago, and the like (which I've brought up previously in this topic) is age range. LEGO Nexo Knights, Ninjago, and Elves are all ages 7+, LEGO Castle is traditionally ages 5+.

I find this ironic, considering traditional Castle is especially popular with the AFOLS.

There is pretty solid rationale behind both viewpoints in the production capacity argument. The one thing it does seems like has happened though, with all that extra capacity they have these days, is that they've released a LOT of short run series, rather than new multi-year lines.

I don't see them doing another multi-year castle line until Nexo is gone. While getting any traditional castle line would be welcome at this point, I think what most of us here are eager for is a new multi-year theme that is developed over the course of the run, rather than the minimal 1 and done releases of late. Something we could get invested in and become a topic of legitimate conversation for years.

I would like a multi year castle theme as well. And I am surprised that Lego doesn't have castle themes more often, considering most kids loves castles. If they would just bring back the crusaders, forest men and black knights I would be very happy.

Honestly with my luck Lego won't release a castle theme until 2019 haha.

I don't see them doing another multi-year castle line until Nexo is gone.

I don't expect to ever see a real classic Castle theme again, which is heartbreaking. If we do see one, it will likely be a single wave years from now.

So in the meantime - what can we do about it to encourage TLG to change their mind?

To make one earlier if they were going to make one later?

To actually make one If they weren't planning to make one at all?

To encourage what type of castle theme they may revisit?

I still think that any Castle type theme that happens while Nexo Knights is ongoing will not be based on medieval Europe. We may have to wait for Elves to end its run to get anything that comes close to Fantasy Era.

A theme based on ancient fables may be the best possible outcome. There is a lot that could be done: Jason and the Argonauts, the Labors of Herakles, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and Beowulf are just some of the possibilities. Each of those could give us at least five sets, possibly up to twelve for the Labors of Herakles. Herakles would even get reused in Jason and the Argonauts, as he was known to be on at least part of the voyage.

Now, Nexo Knights, that's a different story. It's been in development for several years (since 2009, I think I heard), so they seem to have timed its release specifically to coincide with a Castle hiatus. But that's not to say Nexo Knights would have to go away before capital-C Castle can come back.

2009? Wow. And they gave us Chima?

I think 2019 is the next possible time for a Castle-type theme to be released. With NK's success, I don't see it happening any other way. If they did decide to release sets, it would have to be so vastly different - nothing like Fantasy Era, probably similar to the relationship between Castle 2013 and The Hobbit. I don't think many of us want that type of release again, so, while I'm hoping that they'll release a new Castle line, I'd rather they do it at a time when they could give us a satisfactory line.

A theme based on ancient fables may be the best possible outcome. There is a lot that could be done: Jason and the Argonauts, the Labors of Herakles, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and Beowulf are just some of the possibilities. Each of those could give us at least five sets, possibly up to twelve for the Labors of Herakles. Herakles would even get reused in Jason and the Argonauts, as he was known to be on at least part of the voyage.

Or just do general historical rather than fables. If they did battle packs of four minifigs based on Roman / Spartan / Hun / Mongol / Egyptian / insert favourite here, they'd sell at prices like Forest Ambush £7.99 / $11.99 / 9.99€, or probably even at their SW licensed type prices of £11.99 / $12.99 / 16.99€. As a battle pack to support a bigger set - a fortress , a ship, etc.

Edited by MAB

I find this ironic, considering traditional Castle is especially popular with the AFOLS.

Believe me, the irony has not escaped me. It's baffling how often I hear themes like Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo Knights dismissed as "childish" or "kids' stuff" by AFOLs who have no trouble indulging classic themes like City, Castle, and Pirates that are routinely aimed at a younger audience! That's not to say that Ninjago and the like aren't for kids, because of course they are, but it's a little disingenuous for someone to treat that as a mark against them when the themes they prefer are geared towards an even younger demographic.

I think to really be honest with yourself as an AFOL, you have to be prepared to admit that you're enjoying something that was generally not designed with you in mind, and to be OK with that. Even if you stick to buying 12+/14+/16+ sets like UCS Star Wars sets or modular buildings, or to building your own original creations, you should remember that the LEGO bricks and minifigures themselves were pioneered as toys for kids, and that purpose informs their design. On a lot of levels, I think LEGO is great because of its kid-friendly design philosophy, not in spite of it.

Back on the subject of LEGO castles, I think it's definitely unrealistic to assume traditional LEGO Castle is never coming back. Nexo Knights is fun and novel but I don't necessarily believe it has the mojo to become an evergreen theme like City or Ninjago. That's not necessarily even the goal for themes like this. And when it ends, I doubt LEGO is going to want to do another future-medieval theme. Chances are, they'll want their next "big bang" IP to be something fresh and new. Space pirates, maybe, or wizard police, or robot cowboys. You get the idea — something that doesn't just feel like a rehash of another recent theme. And clearing up the medieval space means there'll be an opportunity for a more classic medieval theme as well.

Believe me, the irony has not escaped me. It's baffling how often I hear themes like Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo Knights dismissed as "childish" or "kids' stuff" by AFOLs who have no trouble indulging classic themes like City, Castle, and Pirates that are routinely aimed at a younger audience! That's not to say that Ninjago and the like aren't for kids, because of course they are, but it's a little disingenuous for someone to treat that as a mark against them when the themes they prefer are geared towards an even younger demographic.

There is a big difference between the LEGO themes of City, Castle and Pirates, and the AFOL themes of City, Castle and Pirates. LEGO's themes are definitely aimed towards a younger audience and the sets are often quite simple, the latest Castle and Pirate themes are perfect examples of that. I didn't see a lot of praise for those themes among AFOLs and I certainly didn't think much of them myself either. But, they add their small part to the much bigger AFOL themes of Castle and Pirates that is the combination of all the different reincarnations of the themes throughout the years. These classic evergreen themes has such a big fanbase that they don't end when the specific current theme ends, they live on and expand.

The main reason for why they do that is MOCs. Nothing keeps the interest in a theme going as seeing new builds from it, with new interesting techniques and creative ideas. Some themes are easier to start MOCing in, it's usually those with lots of buidlings because that's an easy and nice start for most. If left to just discuss the sets and stories behind them, the interest will die out when no more sets are released.

I think to really be honest with yourself as an AFOL, you have to be prepared to admit that you're enjoying something that was generally not designed with you in mind, and to be OK with that. Even if you stick to buying 12+/14+/16+ sets like UCS Star Wars sets or modular buildings, or to building your own original creations, you should remember that the LEGO bricks and minifigures themselves were pioneered as toys for kids, and that purpose informs their design. On a lot of levels, I think LEGO is great because of its kid-friendly design philosophy, not in spite of it.

Even though LEGO is mostly made for kids when you look at it from TLG's or an outside perspective, that is not really as relevant inside the AFOL community. i dare say most AFOLs don't love LEGO because it's a great kids toy, the love it because it's a great hobby for adults whatever its original intent. Of course we should be aware and understanding towards the situation and we can't expect to get our way all the time, but we certainly shouldn't back away from voicing our opinions from an AFOL point of view.

With that said, I think a discussion about a possible future Castle theme is a bit uninteresting. If we get one, we'll get one, but until then it's nothing that stops us from keep building in the Castle theme. New, useful parts comes in a lot of various themes and thankfully the Collectible minifigure series has provided us with some quality historically fitting minifigs. If I could choose a "dream theme" it would be something like Prince of Persia, a theme that explores a new setting, provides a lot of useful parts, and that sells really poorly to the main target group so the sets will be on sale. :grin: It may seem a bit selfish but considering how well TLG is doing financially I'm not worried that it will do any harm.

It's baffling how often I hear themes like Ninjago, Chima, and Nexo Knights dismissed as "childish" or "kids' stuff" by AFOLs who have no trouble indulging classic themes like City, Castle, and Pirates that are routinely aimed at a younger audience! That's not to say that Ninjago and the like aren't for kids, because of course they are, but it's a little disingenuous for someone to treat that as a mark against them when the themes they prefer are geared towards an even younger demographic.

You keep saying this, and not listening to the response that the age written on the set box is not so much "kids this age will like the look of this" but closer to "kids this age will be capable of building this". Traditional Castle sets are relatively simple builds because it's primarily bricks and plates stacked on top of each other, but Nexo etc has a lot of specialised parts, non-stud connections and all types of angles. THAT is why the age range for those type of themes is higher. No 6 year old sees a 7+ set and thinks "I don't like it", they think "I can't wait until I'm old enough for that!".

Younger kids are more interested in bright colours and crazy funny things than older people - that is what AFOLs are talking about when they refer to a theme as being childish, the aesthetic.