Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

On 6/5/2020 at 6:39 PM, rock raider said:

I'm not quite ready to post the whole MOC but I couldn't resist posting this feature of it.

49971813123_7a0239c767_c.jpg

EDIT: It takes you to a video of it working if you click

Wow, I'm quite impressed! Maybe it was done often, but I'm not aware of it!

@rock raider That is awesome! A working helm with Lego parts. It's not technic gearing or some strange arrangement with the wheel pushing on the tiller but an actual, historic, working helm, in Lego. :pir-love:A builder after my own heart. I've theorized doing something like this a few times, but haven't gotten round to a ship large enough to need more than a tiller. Seeing yours works, makes me think, that I may just not be quite that crazy :pir-grin:

Dave

On 6/18/2020 at 5:22 PM, kurigan said:

@rock raider That is awesome! A working helm with Lego parts. It's not technic gearing or some strange arrangement with the wheel pushing on the tiller but an actual, historic, working helm, in Lego. :pir-love:A builder after my own heart. I've theorized doing something like this a few times, but haven't gotten round to a ship large enough to need more than a tiller. Seeing yours works, makes me think, that I may just not be quite that crazy :pir-grin:

Dave

Thanks! I've wanted to do this for a long time. It's always bugged me that the only solutions involved gears or some weird levers and I figured that something that low tech had to be possible in Lego.

OK, I managed to get an account on bricksafe.com and embed the picture into the forum (still weird that a lego forum is not hosting pictures, maybe there are literature forums, not hosting text?).

I've started to build my 2 battery deck blue coats "Le Lion" and I'm still in the process of building it. I'm currently looking into the hull and if it looks good, before adding details.

As I have some pictures and want some discussions about them, is it allowed to start a new topic in the MOC forum? Or should I include everything within this thread?

IMG_20200626_201127.jpg

If you are interested in more photos: https://bricksafe.com/pages/5N00P1/le-lion

My biggest current questions are currently around:

The design of the stern, as I have bricks with opposite directions and I'm not sure if I should put some straight ones in between.

IMG_20200626_201400_update.jpg

I'm also not sure about the color of the stern as the ship is mainly reddish brown & tan, black seems to be not fitting, reddish brown seems to be boring and I don't like tan. Any ideas?

@5N00P1 Alright dud, first off, that's kind of a terrible attitude and it's not likely to garner much support. Server space isn't free and if eurobricks bought up enough to host the multitudes of user's photos that would show up just to take advantage of the hosting, who would pay for it? It's been this way a LONG time before you got here, and it's worked fine so far. On another note, this thread is here for stuff builders don't deem worthy of a dedicated thread. Stuff like a single element of a larger build to be revealed in it's entirety later. It's all there in Kolonialbeamter's introduction on page 1. You don't need special permission to start new topics, but you should check out the links in my signature before you do. If you wish to hold an open discussion of your build as you progress, its a good idea to start a WIP topic, but be warned: you don't get to choose what advice, comments and opinions are offered. Ask about "red" and you're likely to hear about "blue and yellow" as well or instead; It's pretty much open season, once you put it out there. This thread, doesn't see a lot of traffic and seems to get checked on rarely. A dedicated WIP topic, with lots of images and a catchy title, will get a lot more attention.

Cheers!

Dave

@kurigan that's going really well! If it's not finished)

@5N00P1

As kurigan said, there is a reason that we don't host photos. We don't need to host photos and if we did the website would slow down abs the pics wouldnt be as good as say, flickr or brickshelf. I started a WIP thread a week ago, still no replies. :pir-laugh:

On 9/5/2020 at 4:25 AM, Count Vroskri said:

@kurigan that's going really well! If it's not finished)

@5N00P1

As kurigan said, there is a reason that we don't host photos. We don't need to host photos and if we did the website would slow down abs the pics wouldnt be as good as say, flickr or brickshelf. I started a WIP thread a week ago, still no replies. :pir-laugh:

:pir-laugh: No, mate. They are not finished. :pir_laugh2:

Builds don't happen fast with me :pir-wink: back up a couple of pages, you'll see the last time I showed the white one, there, was 2017.

These are just some teaser shots. I wanted to see what kind of reaction they'd get with out a lot of introduction. 

Thanks though :pir-grin:

:pir-huzzah2:

On 9/4/2020 at 11:44 PM, kurigan said:

0829201944_zpsfpcc90ui.jpg

0829201944a_zps7e3ykqta.jpg

0904201651_zpsqnvnotwt.jpg

0904201651a_zpskhoiidta.jpg

Now that is the real deal!

I always love the cleanliness of your builds. Don't know if that is said well, but except from sometimes maybe one or two, the parts you are using are all as old as myself and they invoke a lot of nostalgia. While there are tons of new elements with sometimes great effects, I think I could find them irritating in your builds. You achieve so much with what I call basic parts.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:35 AM, Wellesley said:

Now that is the real deal!

I always love the cleanliness of your builds. Don't know if that is said well, but except from sometimes maybe one or two, the parts you are using are all as old as myself and they invoke a lot of nostalgia. While there are tons of new elements with sometimes great effects, I think I could find them irritating in your builds. You achieve so much with what I call basic parts.

Hey, man, thanks! Than means the world. Indeed some of them are even older, I'd wager. Many from my own childhood collection, other from childhood collections I bought off Craig's List for my store. I take a lot of whats not good enough to sell, for my own use. Early on, I only had basic bricks, from long ago, so the whole system developed around not having any of these novel pieces that have come out in recent years (decades?) and I think it lends a certain accessibility to the technique.