Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

No,its from the Robin Hood classic more castle then anything! I hope to do a pirate layout in the near future though...

I'm currently working on my first ocean-going ship MOC, as I usually stick to castles and space ships, but I have encountered an issue that undoubtedly has been asked and answered in the past: what kind of string do people use for rigging? Do most people buy official LEGO string on BrickLink, or do they find their own substitute? If a substitute, what diameter and material of string is used? Suggestions for brands and the like is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by Henjin_Quilones

20 minutes ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

I'm currently working on my first ocean-going ship MOC, as I usually stick to castles and space ships, but I have encountered an issue that undoubtedly has been asked and answered in the past: what kind of string do people use for rigging? Do most people buy official LEGO string on BrickLink, or do they find their own substitute? If a substitute, what diameter and material of string is used? Suggestions for brands and the like is greatly appreciated. 

Well mate, that depends on exactly how deep down the rabbit hole you wanna go. :devil:

1 hour ago, Henjin_Quilones said:

And I'm looking up at you doc.

First of all make up your mind on how purist you are.

More or less:

What is the role of LEGO® in your creation?

Are you building minifig illusion scale or scale model?

I build in minifig scale 1:38ish’ (not to be confused with minifig illusion scale)

I see the brick as an all-purpose substitute for anything that would be made of hard material in any other model: Plaster, plastic, wood, metal…

Whether it is LEGO® depends on the hard material for me.

This gives the freedom to choose what works best in terms of rope.

Size:

On my last models I used string in sizes 0,5mm - 2mm.

Material:

So far I have tried cotton and nylon. -Could be bought in most hobby-shops.

…Next up is hemp. -Only found that in special ship-model-shops.

@Anders T There it is, there's the answer I didn't want to have to be the one to give. Thanks Mate!

@Henjin_Quilones I'm of a similar mind to Anders T. I use cheap embroidery thread from the hobby/craft store myself. It's dirt cheap, comes in myriad colors and is available in a couple different gauges. It's not the easiest to work with and I don't trust my knots on their own (a dab of glue helps em to not slip) but I've gotten used to it and figured out some tricks to really make it work for me.

The trouble here is in answering generalized questions about a field of interest in which there really is no generalization.

Do you have anything you could share with us like a WIP image or some inspiration/reference material you've been using?

@kurigan @Anders T Thanks for the advice! I was figuring that most people probably used a different type of thread, as official LEGO thread is relatively rare. My ship is inspired by the caravel, with lateen sails, but not intended to be historically accurate in either scale or detail, as it is set in a fantasy realm with elves. I've mostly finished everything except the rigging, and am relatively happy with how things look so far, but if you have some advice I'd be glad to hear it. Here are two WIP pics:

36279624072_272440c45e_z.jpg

36402294786_e99dfa2a9b_z.jpg

I notice that the golden wings in the back have drooped a bit in the pictures, so don't mind those...

I generally use twine, about 0,5 to 1 mm in diameter, but I have also used some more elastic guy-line in the same dimensions, which was nice to work with as it gives some wonderful tension to the rig. It's a lot harder to make proper knots in, though.

I have seen several people using thinner sewing thread with great success too, though, but I prefer a bulkier look.

Examples with twine:

33131975355_f4d31153ee.jpg

29987749086_fa85a32a36.jpg

29053373572_b3160a2878.jpg

And with guy-line:

26352496125_3a85e14c0f.jpg

24682927491_13cb822472.jpg

Here's a WIP shot of a display I'm building for a show in a couple of months. I'm pretty happy with how the skull has intergrated into the rock work. There will be more detailing done after the rest of the layout is sorted out.

Work in progress