Kolonialbeamter

General MOC-Discussion, WIP-Help, and Teaser Thread

On 6/5/2020 at 6:39 PM, rock raider said:

I'm not quite ready to post the whole MOC but I couldn't resist posting this feature of it.

49971813123_7a0239c767_c.jpg

EDIT: It takes you to a video of it working if you click

Wow, I'm quite impressed! Maybe it was done often, but I'm not aware of it!

@rock raider That is awesome! A working helm with Lego parts. It's not technic gearing or some strange arrangement with the wheel pushing on the tiller but an actual, historic, working helm, in Lego. :pir-love:A builder after my own heart. I've theorized doing something like this a few times, but haven't gotten round to a ship large enough to need more than a tiller. Seeing yours works, makes me think, that I may just not be quite that crazy :pir-grin:

Dave

On 6/18/2020 at 5:22 PM, kurigan said:

@rock raider That is awesome! A working helm with Lego parts. It's not technic gearing or some strange arrangement with the wheel pushing on the tiller but an actual, historic, working helm, in Lego. :pir-love:A builder after my own heart. I've theorized doing something like this a few times, but haven't gotten round to a ship large enough to need more than a tiller. Seeing yours works, makes me think, that I may just not be quite that crazy :pir-grin:

Dave

Thanks! I've wanted to do this for a long time. It's always bugged me that the only solutions involved gears or some weird levers and I figured that something that low tech had to be possible in Lego.

OK, I managed to get an account on bricksafe.com and embed the picture into the forum (still weird that a lego forum is not hosting pictures, maybe there are literature forums, not hosting text?).

I've started to build my 2 battery deck blue coats "Le Lion" and I'm still in the process of building it. I'm currently looking into the hull and if it looks good, before adding details.

As I have some pictures and want some discussions about them, is it allowed to start a new topic in the MOC forum? Or should I include everything within this thread?

IMG_20200626_201127.jpg

If you are interested in more photos: https://bricksafe.com/pages/5N00P1/le-lion

My biggest current questions are currently around:

The design of the stern, as I have bricks with opposite directions and I'm not sure if I should put some straight ones in between.

IMG_20200626_201400_update.jpg

I'm also not sure about the color of the stern as the ship is mainly reddish brown & tan, black seems to be not fitting, reddish brown seems to be boring and I don't like tan. Any ideas?

@5N00P1 Alright dud, first off, that's kind of a terrible attitude and it's not likely to garner much support. Server space isn't free and if eurobricks bought up enough to host the multitudes of user's photos that would show up just to take advantage of the hosting, who would pay for it? It's been this way a LONG time before you got here, and it's worked fine so far. On another note, this thread is here for stuff builders don't deem worthy of a dedicated thread. Stuff like a single element of a larger build to be revealed in it's entirety later. It's all there in Kolonialbeamter's introduction on page 1. You don't need special permission to start new topics, but you should check out the links in my signature before you do. If you wish to hold an open discussion of your build as you progress, its a good idea to start a WIP topic, but be warned: you don't get to choose what advice, comments and opinions are offered. Ask about "red" and you're likely to hear about "blue and yellow" as well or instead; It's pretty much open season, once you put it out there. This thread, doesn't see a lot of traffic and seems to get checked on rarely. A dedicated WIP topic, with lots of images and a catchy title, will get a lot more attention.

Cheers!

Dave

@kurigan that's going really well! If it's not finished)

@5N00P1

As kurigan said, there is a reason that we don't host photos. We don't need to host photos and if we did the website would slow down abs the pics wouldnt be as good as say, flickr or brickshelf. I started a WIP thread a week ago, still no replies. :pir-laugh:

On 9/5/2020 at 4:25 AM, Count Vroskri said:

@kurigan that's going really well! If it's not finished)

@5N00P1

As kurigan said, there is a reason that we don't host photos. We don't need to host photos and if we did the website would slow down abs the pics wouldnt be as good as say, flickr or brickshelf. I started a WIP thread a week ago, still no replies. :pir-laugh:

:pir-laugh: No, mate. They are not finished. :pir_laugh2:

Builds don't happen fast with me :pir-wink: back up a couple of pages, you'll see the last time I showed the white one, there, was 2017.

These are just some teaser shots. I wanted to see what kind of reaction they'd get with out a lot of introduction. 

Thanks though :pir-grin:

:pir-huzzah2:

On 9/4/2020 at 11:44 PM, kurigan said:

0829201944_zpsfpcc90ui.jpg

0829201944a_zps7e3ykqta.jpg

0904201651_zpsqnvnotwt.jpg

0904201651a_zpskhoiidta.jpg

Now that is the real deal!

I always love the cleanliness of your builds. Don't know if that is said well, but except from sometimes maybe one or two, the parts you are using are all as old as myself and they invoke a lot of nostalgia. While there are tons of new elements with sometimes great effects, I think I could find them irritating in your builds. You achieve so much with what I call basic parts.

On 9/27/2020 at 3:35 AM, Wellesley said:

Now that is the real deal!

I always love the cleanliness of your builds. Don't know if that is said well, but except from sometimes maybe one or two, the parts you are using are all as old as myself and they invoke a lot of nostalgia. While there are tons of new elements with sometimes great effects, I think I could find them irritating in your builds. You achieve so much with what I call basic parts.

Hey, man, thanks! Than means the world. Indeed some of them are even older, I'd wager. Many from my own childhood collection, other from childhood collections I bought off Craig's List for my store. I take a lot of whats not good enough to sell, for my own use. Early on, I only had basic bricks, from long ago, so the whole system developed around not having any of these novel pieces that have come out in recent years (decades?) and I think it lends a certain accessibility to the technique.

I want to wish all a great christmas time, as good as it can be in these crazy times! For that reason I want to share my small build for our lego-communitys task: build something corresponding to christmas. In the given 45min I came up with the following small scene:

50723692367_79ac97f08d.jpg

Edited by Stoertebricker
link deleted

On 4 Sep 2020 at 11:44 PM, kurigan said:

These are very nice! Love the clean, slick hulls.

Eventhough it has been a long time since I last posted a ship, just so you know, I haven't quit ship-building.

In fact I have a fleet of WIPs laying about, I have the resources to complete them but alas, I suffer multiple dilemma's on which route to take with them...

000_shipwips.jpg

The small one on the left (the only one having a sail) was actually an entry in Captan Greenhairs' build off years ago but I never finished it. I didn't quite like the color scheme and the overall shape is off.

The large dark red one in the back was planned to become a 64-gun battleship serving as successor of the Lucretia. She's large, heavily armed and a complete failure unfortunately, I should never have built a ship this big on a prefab hull. I will most likely dismantle her.

Next we have the reddish brown and tan WIP ship, she is to become a sister ship for the HMS Marianne, they would look the same from afar but differ in the details. However I plundered most of its tan bricks for use in another project, there's no telling when I'll continue on that one.

The white ship in the center is to be "La Beatrice", the successor of the Beatrix. I am however not happy with the beam to length ratio, she's too narrow, I will have to start over again I'm afraid.

Moving on to the more interesting ones, the black hulk in the back was once supposed to become the famous Black Pearl, she's been laying around for forever. I have no intention to build a Black Pearl but this hull was designed for nothing else. One idea is to lengthen the hull on the aft, getting some proper shape in it and then use the material from the Lucretia to build a proper 64-gun battleship on a hull that can actually accommodate such armament.

The green one on the right is an experiment I started a few years ago, using only some extra bricks I had laying around and didn't have a use for anyway (hence the green color). That one will be the prototype for a galleon I might or not might build. There are some issues with the building technique, until I find a way to solve these I will not spend the considerable amount of resources required to build a ship like this.

The last one, the dark brown hulled ship in the front is currently the most likely to become an actual finished ship within a feasible timeframe. That one might actually hit the forum within a few weeks.

Edited by Sebeus I

On 1/24/2021 at 1:59 PM, Sebeus I said:

Wow thats a nice fleet in progress! I would wish to have so many ships I am working on in such a good shape and even the parts to continue building on all of them. The green one looks a bit like the dutchman, probably due to the colour. I think we all are looking forward to see a new ship from you!

In fact at the moment my problem is more that I dont want to spend so much time for making good fotos (I dont have a good camera and even worse no good light system which is even worse in winter times...). I have some stuff finished and even some older MOCs (from the time before I joined this forum, even if some of them have more 90s original Lego style nowadays).

Probably now I feel challenged by Sebeus so I have to take some photos and publish something in the near future :pir-huzzah1:

@Sebeus I Thanks! I think you might be too hard Beatrix. Yeah, she's a bit too narrow, but she was a successful proof-of-concept and much loved at the time. If it were up to me, I'd put her back together and keep her for the memories. Now that red one, she may have the same problem as a SotL but what if you razed her down to a frigate? 

Dave :pir-huzzah2:

@kurigan what do you use to stabilize those round 1x1s?  I've asked you before, but I can't remember the answer.  I think you know the project I'm asking about.

Also, what on Earth could this be?

50995117656_6cea160f5b_k.jpg

On 3/1/2021 at 9:11 PM, Cousarmy0001 said:

@kurigan what do you use to stabilize those round 1x1s?  I've asked you before, but I can't remember the answer.  I think you know the project I'm asking about.

Also, what on Earth could this be?

50995117656_6cea160f5b_k.jpg

You mean for the likes of masts and spars? Dowel, from the craft store. Have a bunch from years ago, so I haven't even had to buy any yet, though that will change if I ever get to finishing anything. I know some other builders have tried more purest solutions, like stages of bars or flex tube, but found the wanting and troublesome as there's a certain trade-off in stability. But perhaps you mean something else and I'm just being dense. :pir-hmpf_bad:

A puckle gun maybe? :pir-sceptic:

Edited by kurigan

1 hour ago, kurigan said:

You mean for the likes of masts and spars? Dowel, from the craft store. Have a bunch from years ago, so I haven't even had to buy any yet, though that will change if I ever get to finishing anything. I know some other builders have tried more purest solutions, like stages of bars or flex tube, but found the wanting and troublesome as there's a certain trade-off in stability. But perhaps you mean something else and I'm just being dense. :pir-hmpf_bad:

A pickle gun maybe? :pir-sceptic:

Nope, you guessed what I meant right.  Now that you said it I remember you saying it before.  I wish I'd asked sooner, as I was just at Hobby Lobby today.

And yeah, Puckle gun.  I don't know if anybody else has made one (I don't remember seeing one, anyway), but I came up with this after watching the Forgotten Weapons video on them and seeing what they actually looked like.  I thought it would be pretty effective against small boats, and could probably do a nice job poking holes in sails.  Especially if they develop incendiary rounds :pir_laugh2:

This is on my current large project (just 9 years after laying down the keel of my last large ship project), which will be complete after the parts for the masts arrive.  It's about the same size as Thunderchild, with the same number of guns, but with a smaller cabin, slightly different lines, and the main deck is not removable.  It's also a bit cheaper, which is nice.

On 3/2/2021 at 3:36 AM, Cousarmy0001 said:

Nope, you guessed what I meant right.  Now that you said it I remember you saying it before.  I wish I'd asked sooner, as I was just at Hobby Lobby today.

And yeah, Puckle gun.  I don't know if anybody else has made one (I don't remember seeing one, anyway), but I came up with this after watching the Forgotten Weapons video on them and seeing what they actually looked like.  I thought it would be pretty effective against small boats, and could probably do a nice job poking holes in sails.  Especially if they develop incendiary rounds :pir_laugh2:

This is on my current large project (just 9 years after laying down the keel of my last large ship project), which will be complete after the parts for the masts arrive.  It's about the same size as Thunderchild, with the same number of guns, but with a smaller cabin, slightly different lines, and the main deck is not removable.  It's also a bit cheaper, which is nice.

Thanks for not calling-out the misspelling so i could go back and edit as to look like less of a dope later :pir_laugh2:. I imagine such a thing would really change boarding actions too.

Don't gotta tell me about dragging projects out. :pir-look:

13 hours ago, kurigan said:

Thanks for not calling-out the misspelling so i could go back and edit as to look like less of a dope later :pir_laugh2:. I imagine such a thing would really change boarding actions too.

Don't gotta tell me about dragging projects out. :pir-look:

I kind of still am calling you out, though.  The quote from you on my comment didn't update and still says "pickle gun". :pir_laugh2:

I assumed you wrote it that way intentionally.

Update on that project, I Bricklinked the masts the other day (as of the image posting, I only had one).  Then last night I was looking for some parts in my closet, and found three complete masts in a container.  WITH SPARS AND SAILS.  How on Earth did I lose track of those?

Strictly speaking, all I'm waiting for now are the barrels for the swivel guns.

EDIT 1: This ship kind of means a lot, though.  I finished my last large ship 8 years ago.  After that, my ex-wife kept me broke until our divorce, after which I had a mountain of debt accrued before and during the divorce to deal with while attending school.  Sorry to bring up personal stuff, but it pertains to this MOC in that it's the first large ship I've been able to afford in 8 years.  I've finally attained some measure of financial stability, and can occasionally afford to do a project now, instead of building endless designs in LDD and then dreaming about them.  This ship represents how far I've come in my life since I completed Thunderchild.  And it feels pretty good not only to build it, but for my football obsessed six year old son to think it's so cool that he asked if it could be his.  My four year old daughter is far more into Legos than him, but she prefers the girlier themes.  Despite this, she also saw the new ship, and asked for one of her own.

Which gives me the excuse to start a medium sized build!  One of these days, I might actually run out of hulls!

EDIT 2: I got some dowels to put in Endeavor's masts.  They're not perfect, but at least they don't fall over by themselves anymore, and tip at weird angles when they aren't falling over.  Each one is now two rigid sections, and it's MUCH better.  I hate the ship almost half as much now.  Thank you very very much for the tip, @kurigan.

Edited by Cousarmy0001

I would like to present my 44-gun heavy frigate, L'Aurelie. 

I've been designing and re-designing her way too many times ever since I first posted my BOBS SigFig (Like what, 10? months ago...). But! I am now officially 'done' with the digital phase! 

Next step is ordering the bricks and such to start building her in real life. Will be a *very* expensive projects, but hey, can't go on holiday anyways now so I might aswell spend my holiday bonus on Lego :P.

Some pictures here: (Direct link to Flickr album, which includes some close-ups: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUGwNkh)

Overview BowOverview MidOverview Stern

Let me know what you guys think! Feedback is always wanted! (Even if I might ignore some of it, since I really don't want to jump down the rabbit hole of redisigning her again :innocent:)

I kept the "bricky" design of the hull, as I personally feel this is a great touch that makes it still look very Lego'ish, rather than super-mega-smooth like an actual ship model.
Overall she is about 10 'hull pieces' long (9x hull + 1x bow). 

Greetings,
Thomas

It is very nice @Thomas Waagenaar can't wait to see it in real bricks. Will you be finishing the upper masts? Some parts are looking a little strange towards bow and stern, but that is to be expected and sometimes hard to avoid. 

Great Work!