Rick

10249 Winter Toy Shop

This is the one winter village set that I don't have so I am happy. But if I didn't need it I would not be happy either.

Hopefully the Christmas bonus sets will help to counter the disappointment I'm sure some are experiencing.

Next modular is a corner building.. Cafe Corner remake? :sceptic:

I was waiting for someone to suggest that. People have been begging for a Café Corner rerelease since it was first retired. And while I'd hate it if it took the place of an actual new modular building, to be honest the Café Corner could use an update even more than this set (considering that the standard of detail for modular buildings has risen so much since the Café Corner's initial release. Maybe a remake could include an actual interior, and upstairs windows with glass!

I was waiting for someone to suggest that. People have been begging for a Café Corner rerelease since it was first retired. And while I'd hate it if it took the place of an actual new modular building, to be honest the Café Corner could use an update even more than this set (considering that the standard of detail for modular buildings has risen so much since the Café Corner's initial release. Maybe a remake could include an actual interior, and upstairs windows with glass!

Nah, come on.. Lego can come up with more nice buildings than 10.... ??

As someone who has the original, I'm really a bit bummed. I mean i'm glad for people who had missed the first one but I'm pretty sure for me it's a pass, I don't think i can afford to buy this as an 'update'. Like some have said I'm not sure how it makes me feel for the next modular. (I have missed the first modulars BUT i don't think it's interesting if they start cycling them and not add any new).

Wow. They're very shockingly similar. However, I enjoy the parts and the toy micro-builds in the updated set. I might have to get it as my first Winter Village set.

Comparison pics for everyone

Thank you. A definite improvement, especially with the minifigs.

Any chance there will be another winter village set this year?

Thank you. A definite improvement, especially with the minifigs.

Any chance there will be another winter village set this year?

I'm afraid there is a dark cloud hanging over the Winter Village of a lot of collectors at Christmas this year....

I'm afraid there is a dark cloud hanging over the Winter Village of a lot of collectors at Christmas this year....

I could not believe it when I saw it that is it 99% identical to the one I already have. There is an upside: if you look at the prices of that one at bricklink looks like a lot of people will get less money out of it, they seem to go for 200+, probably not anymore ;)

Wow, there's a lot of negativity here. If they'd released a small building with the same tree, you'd be unhappy that you "had" to get another tree. By making the building the same, they're giving you full permission to skip the set, the only "loss" is waiting an extra year for the next in line. There are lots of fans who started collecting in the last 6 years, I don't think it's a surprise that they might want a tree.

As an extra release to a new building, this would have been great.

I'm done with this topic now, I'm depressed.

It feels like in the old days, when one's favourite artist brought out a new album with 22 songs one already owns, plus one new one...

Well, I'm not going to cave in this time.

*crosses arms, sulking*

Wow, there's a lot of negativity here. If they'd released a small building with the same tree, you'd be unhappy that you "had" to get another tree. By making the building the same, they're giving you full permission to skip the set, the only "loss" is waiting an extra year for the next in line. There are lots of fans who started collecting in the last 6 years, I don't think it's a surprise that they might want a tree.

All fine and dandy, but I need my yearly fix, Commander Turtle, and this is not the real deal! It's powdered grapes. :grin:

^ See kids, that's what The Netherlands does with you! Enjoy the rain!

To be fair, this dissapointed me, but i can't blame them. I know how hard it can be as a designer to come up with something new. + I missed this set and i've always liked the tree... So who knows? maybe i'll buy this one. But first last years that one was the meaning of cozy!

Next modular is a corner building.. Cafe Corner remake? :sceptic:

I hope so! I would not mind an updated Cafe Corner.

As for the Toy Shop, this is a must buy for me. To me this was the best WV set, so I am very, very happy with the re-release.

I already have 3 of the original (I combined 2 to make 1) but I would really like to have more so I can make a Toy Shop modular.

Thanks to TLG for this excellent re-release.

Andy D

Edited by Andy D

Well, I have nothing against re-releasing the set (I own original version), but I will certainly miss our each years ritual of assembling winter set at the beginning of christmas holdiays with my son. I guess ferry wheel will have to fill that gap this year, but still, it's not the same.

Another thing is if they will continue with other winter sets. I hope not, beacuse it would make no sense. Ok, firts set is something special and this will make many collections more complete, but the following few (bakery and post) dont really deserve it.

Hovewer, I wonder if it will repeat in some other themes, where sets form such recognizable lineup. Modular buildings off course comes to mind first, but some other would be great too, like Millenium Falcon (already rumored), Eiffel tower, Taj Mahal etc...

Resellers will of course go bananas, but for personally its not a problem. I have sets for myself and I dontg care if new version is on market. I might even trade old with new, if its better (like this WTS).

I can already picture the development team at BanBao thinking 'hey, wait, shameless copying is OUR business!!'

Come on LEGO, put a bit more effort in things! Couldn't you at least change a few colours in the set so it'd look just a bit different? There was a time you sold the same locomotive set and wagons in several colours, why not do that here as well?

Is this the first time Lego have re-released an almost identical set?

I think they released a few legends sets in the early 2000s of vintage Pirates and Castle sets.

I'm a bit disappointed, obviously as I have this set from before. Though as much as I enjoy new buildings, it's nice to see that the people who missed out on this now have a chance to get it. :thumbup: Now, like you've said, where's Cafe Corner? :tongue:

It's not the first time. Last year we got Technic truck which was almost exactly the same as set from few ago (there were far less differences than here).

Is this the first time Lego have re-released an almost identical set?

I'm very happy, I was in the dark ages when this first came out!

That moment when you claim that you're all about creativity and you shamelessly re-release a set, change a couple of parts, and raise the price by twenty bucks.......

Horrible. I thought we were getting a Candy Shop. How is a Toy Shop "sweet"?

If they really wanted another Toy Shop, they could have made one that looks different from the first one.

Now that they've re-released one WV set, there's nothing stopping them from doing the whole line... : /

I missed the first four sets in the winter theme so I've been searching eBay to try and get them. So far I've only bought one - which one - the flipping toy shop !!! So now do I keep trying to get a hold of the bakery, post office and cottage or do I see if lego intend on releasing these over he next few years with subtle updates.

I'll purchase this as wel and just make a double modded toy shop instead but I'm canny disappointed.

Now if it was a reissue green grocer I'd be immensely happy - has lego started a prescendence here or is it a one off ??

I would imagine this series is popular enough to release two SKUs per year. It would be nice to see another announcement soon? :look: Please?

I wouldn't have minded another Toy Shop had it been different, towns have similar retail all the time, but to essentially mail it in and make a tweak here or there was selling out. Completionists of this line like me will buy it just to have them all, but I won't be happy about it. I fully understand those that don't have 10199 being happy, I would be too.

I think they released a few legends sets in the early 2000s of vintage Pirates and Castle sets.

I'm a bit disappointed, obviously as I have this set from before. Though as much as I enjoy new buildings, it's nice to see that the people who missed out on this now have a chance to get it. :thumbup: Now, like you've said, where's Cafe Corner? :tongue:

It's not the first time. Last year we got Technic truck which was almost exactly the same as set from few ago (there were far less differences than here).

Thanks both. Guess I might stop bricklinking the old modulars.... Lego should open a vote for old sets to re-release!

I really like how they've updated it. The best changes are the jack-in-the-box and the female caroler! I also like the new colors and more recent pieces.

I feel like the WV theme is slowing down. After this, there may be no more sets, or if there are, they'll all be rereleases. Perhaps LEGO wants to invest more time in the Fairground theme now?

As for modulars, a rereleased GG or CC doesn't seem like it would come close to the original design. The newer ones have a lot of focus on furnishing, so they would be much smaller in size if they were updated.

My only question: Why? Was this set insanely popular? Is it some sort of anniversary release?

Edited by 8BrickMario