Ondra

Technic 2016 Discussion and Speculation

I'm sure Technic was there too.

From NYC Toy Fair press release:

Creative Building (Ages 5+)

LEGO Classic continues, offering a variety of brick collections that foster open-ended building fun such as the new LEGO Creative Building Set for $29.99. LEGO Creator offers vehicles, creatures and structures such as a Super Soarer, Park Animals andTreehouse Adventures, each with 3-in-1 building options, delivering hours of play value. Sets range from $4.99 to $69.99. Advanced builders will love the challenge of new LEGO Technic sets such as Hydroplane Racer and Heavy Lift Helicopter that offer technical elements like gears, beams, pulleys, actuators and pneumatics. Sets range from $12.99 to $279.99.

But it looks that Jason and others did not seem it worth taking pictures of (or they hate technic).

Maybe they were showing a more finished version of 42056, which they might not be allowed to photograph or video.

Edited by allanp

You would think someone would have mentioned that, much as how it has been discussed that photography was off-limits for the new Ideas Maze on display.

I'd guess Brickshow didn't take the time to photograph any Technic. They rarely review any Technic on their YT channel even though they are exclusively all LEGO now. I was supposed to have a partnership with them to review Technic but it didn't work out.

Edited by Osuharding1

I suspect the Porsche is RC, there is not a presence of HOG steering knob, I guess those greyish parts peeking at the rear end of the set are XL motors or probably PF 2.0. Afterall the box is just a mockup and the final/ full reveal of the set's true colors is yet to come.

Sorry the grey part is just a brick build as I can see the tile and curved brick lines.

Youre right about it not having a HOG wheel (I have not seen one at least). so it might be RC somehow but I keep wondering how on earth they would fit it in, even with a redesigned PF system.

Sorry the grey part is just a brick build as I can see the tile and curved brick lines.

Youre right about it not having a HOG wheel (I have not seen one at least). so it might be RC somehow but I keep wondering how on earth they would fit it in, even with a redesigned PF system.

Any possibility that they were brick built space-holders? If the new PF motors aren't available yet for general use, I could imagine that happening.

I'd guess Brickshow didn't take the time to photograph any Technic. They rarely review any Technic on their YT channel even though they are exclusively all LEGO now. I was supposed to have a partnership with them to review Technic but it didn't work out.

Ahh, that sucks. I always wondered why they don't review technic.

Any possibility that they were brick built space-holders? If the new PF motors aren't available yet for general use, I could imagine that happening.

That's what I've thought the whole time.

One reason for no HOG-steering is the Porsche doesn't want it as it is not an accurate detail - there is no HOG IRL, so there must be another steering mechanism built in somewhere else??? Unless its the steering wheel, which would be awkward.

Ahh, that sucks. I always wondered why they don't review technic.

Probably because many people just don't appreciate Technic and accept it as actual Lego.. I've been to numerous shows where people will take pictures of everything there and completely pass by the Technic stuff like it is invisible, or make 15 minute long video reviews of a show and for some reason omit the Technic.. I was at a show a few years back and overheard a group of guys discussing about how my models shoudln't be in the main room and instead should be out in the parking lot..

Probably because many people just don't appreciate Technic and accept it as actual Lego.. I've been to numerous shows where people will take pictures of everything there and completely pass by the Technic stuff like it is invisible, or make 15 minute long video reviews of a show and for some reason omit the Technic.. I was at a show a few years back and overheard a group of guys discussing about how my models shoudln't be in the main room and instead should be out in the parking lot..

That is very unfortunate. To me (and I suppose, for many of us here), Technic is the essence of Lego.

Edited by Beard

For that kind of people, the only solution is to build a massive motorized dozer, or a 8x8 truck and let it loose on their city/diorama, whatever. That will make the Godzilla technic model visible very well :devil:

And yes, when I check otehr Lego forums besides Eurobricks, most attention is always towards minifigs and sets, especially licensed like star wars. I dont know, people who dont "get" technic seem to only care for superficial looks and not the smart guts bellow.

For that kind of people, the only solution is to build a massive motorized dozer, or a 8x8 truck and let it loose on their city/diorama, whatever. That will make the Godzilla technic model visible very well :devil:

And yes, when I check otehr Lego forums besides Eurobricks, most attention is always towards minifigs and sets, especially licensed like star wars. I dont know, people who dont "get" technic seem to only care for superficial looks and not the smart guts bellow.

This is why I started adding other things with motion(Motorized engine, Demon animatronic bust) because here in the states if you build with Technic and want to get more people to notice your work at an AFOL show and not just walk past it, then you better have something moving on your table.. Americans like to see things that move..

Edited by Paul Boratko

This is why I started adding other things with motion(Motorized engine, Demon animatronic bust) because here in the states if you build with Technic and want to get more people to notice your work at an AFOL show and not just walk past it, then you better have something moving on your table.. Americans like to see things that move..

Lizzard people, they only register movements :laugh: Joke aside yes, if you make something good looking AND moving, I guess you win.

Edited by Zblj

Maybe there wasn't even any Technic on display at the NY show and they only had some type of placeholders with prices..? I remember the Technic showing being somewhat poor in the past at the NY shows..

A bit off-topic, but:

I don't understand why some people consider Technic as not Lego. Back in the days when Technic started up, it was IMO very similar to regular Lego except the long bricks (beams) with holes and the additional axles, pins, bushes, gears etc.

Fair enough, Technic today might not look like Lego at all compared to regular bricks, but IMO it's Lego as long as The Lego Group makes it. And I personally find Technic much more appealing and interesting than the "regular" Lego :laugh: