efferman

42043 - MB Arocs 3245 Mods and Improvements

Hello!

I have built an 8x8 version of the Arocs.

Hi Baluka,

A bit late, but welcome to EB :wink:

I have changed your images to links, since your images are way too big. The maximum size is 1024 wide. So please resize your images before embedding or use and image hosting site like Flickr or Bricksafe.

Have fun!

Jim

I have bought second Arocs and decided to try building a one set MOC from it.

I am aware that one set MOCs can be hardly called as a modification of a set, but it is still a WIP and I want to hear what dou you think about my C-model for 42043:

Excellent work, I've been waiting for some C-models for this set to show up. Prob worth starting a new topic for once you get your video done.

Hi the Lego website for instructions is not recognising the 42043 model number to build the b model any one know why thanks

I am aware that one set MOCs can be hardly called as a modification of a set, but it is still a WIP and I want to hear what dou you think about my C-model for 42043:

25743578791_039d03cff9_o.jpg

25208163404_efa67e1ccf_o.jpg

25212099343_10b2bc1146_o.jpg

Features three axle steering, working V6 fake engine, motorized winch, pump, outriggers and boom extension. Superstructure can be rotated by round plates on the back. I have to rebuild rear part of it, becuase battery box needs more rigid connection. Only element that was not present in the set is a string, but I can't imagine a crane without it ;)

Wow. Already now a great c-model!! Looks very good and has all needed functions. Do you plan making instructions? Would pay for them without hesitation ;-)

Features three axle steering, working V6 fake engine, motorized winch, pump, outriggers and boom extension. Superstructure can be rotated by round plates on the back. I have to rebuild rear part of it, becuase battery box needs more rigid connection. Only element that was not present in the set is a string, but I can't imagine a crane without it ;)

So you basically can almost built 8421-like set from Arocs? That is pretty awesome!

Hi

I'm building the Arocs and it seems that the pneumatic pistons are very hard to extend or compress compared to those in the unimog or the older studded ones. Even without the hoses applied.

Anyone else noticed that? Do i have to put some lubricant inside?

Hi

I'm building the Arocs and it seems that the pneumatic pistons are very hard to extend or compress compared to those in the unimog or the older studded ones. Even without the hoses applied.

That's a silly question, but I hope you are not trying to extend/compress your pneumatic element manually while at least one of its end is attached to pneumatic system?

That's a silly question, but I hope you are not trying to extend/compress your pneumatic element manually while at least one of its end is attached to pneumatic system?

No, i'm talking about the pistons alone, with the 2 holes free.

I have many sets with older pneumatics and never felt so much resistance :angry:

I hope that Lego didn't forget to put some grease inside like i found in older pistons

Edited by nastystage

That crane would look lovely next to 42009, really reminds me of 8421. I hope instructions come along soon.

I was not planning to do the instructions for it, but I will give it a try :)

So you basically can almost built 8421-like set from Arocs? That is pretty awesome!

Something like 8421, but with more motorized funtions :)

I am trying to R/C my Arocs and have removed all the gearbox and turned it into a tractor unit. The way that the fake engine is setup in the Arocs I was wondering if I could put a XL motor straight onto the back of the fake engine to drive the truck?, or would it be too much strain on the fake engine.

Nope, If anything you should have a motor going directly to the wheels. The fake engines are not designed to have a motor drive through them.

Hi

I have not noticed anything with the new ARocs.... but I have seen that happen in some of my older sets. After a long time sometimes they begin to stick. I know that some silicone spray has been used by many. I actually have had very poor experiences with silicone spray. Perhaps I have bought the wrong stuff.... but right on the can of most it says not to be used with plastic. However, I have had wonderful luck with this stuff: It is a type of personal lubricant.

14593027431_SPLASH.jpg

I am not trying to be cute, funny or inappropriate. Really not. I have used this on my LPEs that are now several years old and they still work like they did when they were first built. Still very well lubricated. Much better than any silicone spray I have ever used. If you are concerned about the cylinders being a little too stiff I recommend this stuff or something similar.

Here's my mod of the Arocs. I've also shortened it to only have one front axle. Or actually it's based on the B model, to which I have added the second rear axle. Essentially it's a blend of both, the A and B models. I have also converted it into RC, with an L-motor for driving both rear axles and a servo for steering. Both fit neatly into the location of the original fake engine and cabin, but I did have to modify the attachment of the seats quite heavily. The cabin still opens up just like the original, although I forgot to take a photo of it. One L-motor operates the tipper, and it's also RC.

Here it is:

25900397110_4e9e51edee_b.jpg

25900396930_2142eba81c_b.jpg

25568487574_145775ec1c_b.jpg

26173256685_6f47fac61d_b.jpg

26080788802_b555b35e48_b.jpg

Here's my mod of the Arocs. I've also shortened it to only have one front axle. Or actually it's based on the B model, to which I have added the second rear axle. Essentially it's a blend of both, the A and B models.

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing this before. I think it is kinda a nifty idea.... and the Arocs is perfect for this application. Come to think of it.... I think this would make for a fun competition. Combining official A and B models into one model.... even if the end product isn't realistic and completely silly. Kinda a fun idea IMO. Well done on this merging of the two models.

Nice, you modified to be your own, I like that...at lot...!!!

Thanks!

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone doing this before. I think it is kinda a nifty idea.... and the Arocs is perfect for this application. Come to think of it.... I think this would make for a fun competition. Combining official A and B models into one model.... even if the end product isn't realistic and completely silly. Kinda a fun idea IMO. Well done on this merging of the two models.

Thank you! In this case, one would have to think outside the box to come up with something too silly, because the A and B models are so similar. But that would make it even funnier, is somebody manages to create an odd machine that resembles both, but is something completely different. I think you're right, that kind of competition could be very much fun with a suitable model!

today i build a 10x6 version of the arcos. I was surprised nobody else did it. i basically added an axle. I'm going to move the crane a bit forward so it has room to turn around. I also want to make it 10x10 rather than a 10x6, so basically adding 'drive' to the front axle. If only i had working IR receivers i would make it rc but they're both broken so that's not going to happen. maybe later.

25614803773_5eb49f53b9_b.jpg

Here's my mod of the Arocs. I've also shortened it to only have one front axle. Or actually it's based on the B model, to which I have added the second rear axle. Essentially it's a blend of both, the A and B models. I have also converted it into RC, with an L-motor for driving both rear axles and a servo for steering. Both fit neatly into the location of the original fake engine and cabin, but I did have to modify the attachment of the seats quite heavily. The cabin still opens up just like the original, although I forgot to take a photo of it. One L-motor operates the tipper, and it's also RC.

I did something similar to this, but yours looks WAY better than what I did! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

@ Roppie11, really love your 10*6, i have been thinking about doing the same thing when i get a 42043 - im planning a 10x4*6 (yes, steering on the last axle) with a 3 axle drawbar trailer - maybe with some steering as well ;)

I would demount the crane to make room for a bigger bed - or maybe rear mount it somehow :)

Edited by KristofferNJ

@ Roppie11, really love your 10*6, i have been thinking about doing the same thing when i get a 42043 - im planning a 10x4*6 (yes, steering on the last axle) with a 3 axle drawbar trailer - maybe with some steering as well ;)

I would demount the crane to make room for a bigger bed - or maybe rear mount it somehow :)

thanks, I am wondering what you can come up with. :classic:

I haven't stopped building in the mean time, I modified it into a container truck. I used 8052 as example

I haven't made i video but i've token a few pictures.

oh, i also put the crane a bit backwards because there was room enough, and it couldnt turn properly. and now, it does: :sweet:

1. here it is normal, you can see 2 DBG beams 7L, this was used instead of the H-beam

26005647520_8c0ae9afb3_c.jpg

2. Here is it halfway, the cilinder is pretty flat so you have to help it a little bit before it gets in the air.

26186089742_b7d938e047_c.jpg

3. here it is on the ground. When you're almost at the end, the container just drops because the cilinder is almost straigt/in line with the 'hook'

25675787693_7bef67c469_c.jpg

4. here it is at its lowest point, it comes low enough which i like :thumbup::sweet: i almost didnt modify the bed/container. I only put the hook on it and some beams on the bottom so it doesnt slide sideways when driving. just like 8052

25675786613_a533c73f1a_c.jpg

5. The hook is going back.

26252582066_85eb103097_c.jpg

6. And finally, The MB is ready to go home :laugh: :laugh: what a bad picture though. the end of the hook was a bit difficult because it rests right above the gear box. luckily, there were 3 beams in a row so it can rest there. you can also see that the width is 7L. I made this so that the bed does not slide off. under the bed i put a few beams.

26186086582_882a1a585c_c.jpg

I also wanted to make a 10x10 version of it, but that is pretty difficult because the room where the axle is, is pretty small, and have to attach it in a different way because the differential is so big. But then i have to rebuild the whole chassis on the front and i don't want to do that. i hope you liked it :thumbup:

The 4-Axle Trailer by M_Longer makes a great addition and will be even more awesome with the 42054 Class Xerion or 42054 Volvo EW160E!

A Technic pin holds the trailer in place of the hitch!

26014304190_a0d5bd7ef2_o.png

26220920321_57439ca6ea_o.png