Sign in to follow this  
SkaForHire

The Death of Flagg (Challenge IV Prelude, Chapter 9)

The Death of Flagg (Challenge IV Prelude, Chapter 9)

Previous Prelude chapters:

Chapter 1

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

The Death of Flagg

“And then I ran, and the Drow assassin chased me, but I finally remembered an invisibility spell, which saved my life!” The Sorceress Nefrillia concluded.

16578410476_8a5e4e65e9_z.jpgDSC_1617 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Kyban Wh'Ali of Khar'dek, current Lord Protector in council almost looked sick to his stomach as he investigated the mess. Two dead mage professors at the University of Petraea on his watch, and the leader of Kaliphlin disappeared and assumed dead. Dugal pitied the man, Bain and other High Council members were going to have a field day with this when the High Council met tonight.

16417360830_a47758fd5d_z.jpgDSC_1622 by skaforhire, on Flickr

“Are you sure Dextrus did not make it through the portal safely?” Lady Kylee asked.

Nefrilla replied with eerie confidence “ when the Drow attacked us, and killed Professor Parker, it sent a backlash through the ritual stone. Flagg had crossed the threshold of the gate and was completely dematerialized at the time. As the backlash came back to the gate there was a red glow, and then it spit out Flagg’s shield.” She sighed, “ I am sorry, he is just… gone. The magic must have ripped him into a million particles.”

That was a disturbing thought… “and you say that he was trying to reach Kathyrin? I thought her dead?” Gideon asked.

“Indeed, he had us switch the polarity of the artifact to try and travel to the underworld using the hole Dugal crawled out of last year.” Nefrilla answered.

“Well, this is definitely his shield.” Bain said, placing Dextrus Flagg’s most recognizable possession back on the ground.

Dugal looked around the large room in the University of Petraea's Sciences and Magic building, “How does a Drow assassin hide in a pristine white room?” The rest of the council looked just as confused.

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

An hour earlier…

Dextrus Flagg seemed extremely giddy, and more excited than he had in months. Rolo Audek, Flagg’s bodyguard was not as happy as his friend and master. He and Barden Warwalker, a famed undead hunter, were about to accompany Flagg through some sort of gate to the netherworld. Kaliphlin scientists and mages just recently got the Simultaneous Transport and Retrieval gate to work between gates in Kaliphlin, now they wanted to go to new planes? However, Sorceress Nefrillia, Professor Parker, and Clemte E. Pilsin, adventurer mage extraordinaire, assured their guild leader that the gate was ready for interdimensional travel.

16417165438_7fbc09f4b7_z.jpgDSC_1603 by skaforhire, on Flickr

“So this will take us to the hole near Queencross that Dugal came out of? And then to the underworld?” Flagg asked again.

“Something like that, but you are thinking of the Stargate too limitedly, it does not travel in a path, but in a straight line between planes of existence.” Said Parker, and he was immediately interrupted by Pilsin.

“Yer mean STRgate. “And” cannot be in the acronym! It is a STR gate!” Pilsin chimed. He was pronouncing it like “stir gate” and it was clear that the two had gone through the semantics before.

“That sounds terrible, it is stargate.” Parker said, the clearly more educated of the two.

“STRRRRRGATE!” I build the ritual stone and was the first traveler through the gate, I get to name it.” He declared. “STRRRRGATE.”

Flagg interjected. “I don’t care about the name, can you make it home in on Kathyrin?”

“That is not how it works” Both Pilsin and Parker chimed in. Nefrilla was oddly quiet.

Barden patted Flagg on the back, “That is why you have me, sir. I can find her, no matter where in the seven hells she is.”

“There actually are not se…” Pilsin started, but Flagg cut him off.

“Very well, let’s get this started.”

The three mages gathered around the ritual stone and began to pour magic into the small ruby looking stone.

16417339210_97efa8a2f0_z.jpgDSC_1604 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Soon, the gate began to glow and then a water like surface appeared within the circle.

16578395836_bc689751f5_z.jpgDex2 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Rolo took up his position at the front, climbed the ramp, held his breath, and crossed the threshold. It was cold and then the world went black.

16603206601_94d3694ba4_z.jpgDex4 by skaforhire, on Flickr

+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

The first two travelers went through the Strgate. Pilson was overjoyed that other humans were finally getting to experience gate travel! Flagg was about to step in when Nefrilla said “Oh Flagg, you can’t take that shield!”

Parker and Pilson both looked at their comrade with a quizzical glance, but she continued. “The silver plating will not pass into the next realm, it could kill you or send the gate somewhere else!”

Pilson looked at Parker. That was not true, there was no metal that could not travel through the gate, at least that they knew of.

However, before Pilson could find words, Flagg yelled “thanks!” ran down the ramp, put the shield down, and ran back up the ramp to dive through the strgate.

16397086237_29717b5cce_c.jpgdex0 by skaforhire, on Flickr

As soon as he was through, Nefrilla immediately let go of her magical stream, and the portal winked out of existence. Pilson was unable to question her, for before he could speak a knife quickly flashed in Nefrilla’s hands. She stabbed Parker in the neck, and Pilson wet himself.

He turned to run, and he heard her cackle with amusement. He may have got fifteen paces before he felt a cold object pierce his lower back.

16603769732_c844857965_c.jpgDSC_1612 by skaforhire, on Flickr

He gulped. She turned the knife, and pulled up hard. He began to choke. So this is how his life ended, well it had been a good one, he had written books… lots of books… seen the rise and fall of many men and women who led historica… had even been the court jes… he closed his eyes. He knew he would not sleep forever, heck maybe he would even see Flagg on the other side.

16417348380_ccbd245d54_c.jpgDex5 by skaforhire, on Flickr

Edited by SkaForHire

P.S.

I suppose some explanation is needed here for the new people. Flagg is SI-Moc's original sigfig for GoH back when he was Kaliphlin guild leader. He is a Sci-Fi Mod, so this was a nod to him departing from us to go back to sci-fi. I didn't rip off stargate just for fun... well perhaps for a little fun.

Hehe, interesting turn ;)

Can't wait to see the challenge! This weekend has brought many great chapters! :thumbup:

Nooo!

OOC: Great way to write/build Dextrus out of the story with a nod to Si-MOCs :classic:

So SciMocs is out for good then, quite a pitty - but nice way to write him out! Cool moc too!

I'm really enjoying the story so fr, Ska! I also love the Stargate reference, that's definitely one of my favorite movies and it saddens me that Dextrus dies. He was a cool leader and Dwarves need more representation more than ever, especially in Kaliphlin! :classic:

Okay, I LOVE that you used a Stargate. Great reference to Si-Mocs, and now that you've planted the idea, its suddenly seems plausible that Historica would have a Stargate! As a loyal Kaliphlin citizen, though, I hate to see the loss of Flagg.