You know what really sucks? The only way you could ever get those solid gold masks we seen at the NYCC, is to be a pro MOCist.

Oh well. At least I have my clear Hau.

Only one of the masks is being given out in the Battle for the Gold Mask. It seems a safe bet that the other seven will be distributed in contests that challenge different abilities, as well as sweepstakes or giveaways.

I'd imagine this piece:

http://brickset.com/parts/6001085

It's those for sure. You can see in some of the pics from this album.

I was just trying to build Lord of Skull Spiders on LDD, but it has an insane amount of confusing pivot points as well as a lot of interior detail that is hard to infer from any of the photos I've seen. So I've hit a bit of a dead end for right now. A little bit frustrating, since with what I've figured out so far I'm "only" 20 or 30 parts from the set's part count!

Lord of Skull Spiders continues to prove something that has been sort of a given since the BIONICLE theme began — the more basic Technic and fewer specialized constraction parts a set uses, the better its price per piece tends to be. There are exceptions, of course — the Toa Mahri had the best PPP of any Toa team on average, more on account of their Cordak ammo and other small detail parts than using a lot of basic Technic (and also that they were underpriced, all things considered — there's a reason that the 2009 canister sets had a three-dollar price hike despite not being measurably larger or more complex). But there's a reason why the larger BIONICLE sets (and now, Lord of Skull Spiders) came close to that AFOL-preferred value of ten cents per piece, while canister sets were usually pretty lucky to hit a value of twenty cents per piece.

Edited by Aanchir

Only one of the masks is being given out in the Battle for the Gold Mask. It seems a safe bet that the other seven will be distributed in contests that challenge different abilities, as well as sweepstakes or giveaways.

Or the really maverick could gold-chrome the masks themselves. There's many different ways to achieve chrome-finish, but it is tricky. (but hey it's not like the sets'll be hard to find?) Though the ones at NYCC had snazzy bases.

One second thought, the REALLY REALLY maverick could concievably actually make a mould from the mask and melt down real gold for a perfect clone of the gold mask. ',:}D Do that, oh, six times and life is grand my friend. :laugh:

Edited by One Very Agile Cat

Hmmm... I wonder how much the mask would be worth, I hope it's affordable.

Likely a lot. There's the actual value of the gold, and then the added collector's value. Thousands, easily.

Likely a lot. There's the actual value of the gold, and then the added collector's value. Thousands, easily.

The details on the prizes for the contest say the gold mask is worth $2,000. I expect more because, like you said, collector value.

I would bank on it being the MoUP since it's the only mask we've yet to actually see. Otherwise, they would enclose a picture of the gold mask in question.

Speaking of monetary value, how much would something like the 14k Mask of Creation, be worth compared to the Platinum Avokii/Gold Hau (2001 version)?

I would bank on it being the MoUP since it's the only mask we've yet to actually see. Otherwise, they would enclose a picture of the gold mask in question.

We haven't seen the Mask of Control in set form, either. I doubt that it would be an unseen mask, quite honestly. It would be odd for them to have shown the gold masks at NYCC, then make it one that wasn't shown there.

Edited by Mariko

Speaking of monetary value, how much would something like the 14k Mask of Creation, be worth compared to the Platinum Avokii/Gold Hau (2001 version)?

Well, platinum is more expensive than gold, anyway, so I'd imagine the Avohkii would always cost more. Personally, I find the 2001 Gold Hau will always be the most valued just due to its reputation and the popularity of the original Bionicle.

I guess the popularity of the new series will determine part of the value of the new gold masks. But frankly, they're each 14k gold, so there'll be value in them either way.

Since this is an MoCing contest, I'm willing to guess it's the Mask of Creation.

It's either that or the Hau. Those two seem like they'd be the most popular.

Which makes me wonder how the others will be distributed. After them, the other five masks seem equal in popularity.

Something (pretty off-topic) that I just realized... the Stone Protector's weapon is pretty much a pepper mill. 'Tell me when to stop.'

So I'm not the only one. :grin: And speaking of pepper, his pose reminds me of someone.. :tongue:

So, I built dummies (they all use the same exact design and they're way inaccurate) of the Toa on LDD so I can mess around with their colour schemes/organization and armour placement.

I tried replacing Pohatu's tr. lime bones with black ones (*) and giving him dark tan shells from Vardy, and he looks great! Right now I have THREE different colour schemes in mind for Pohatu, this one is the most faithful to the original set (Okotohatu, not Mata Hatu). I guess I need to try them IRL before judging.

Shame about the Brain Attack torso shell, it still looks kind of girly to me, but it's still better than the visual borefest that is the 2.0 shell (I swear they NEED to come up with a new torso shell, or reuse the one from Breakout).

And still speaking of Pohatu, it's pretty weird that he has lime eyes while Stone P. has blue eyes. IIRC the other Toa+Protector element couples have matching eyes.

* = they're cool pieces and I'm really eager to play with them, but 1 I still don't see Pohatu with that colour and 2 I would've ended up with too many colours

Edited by Shakar

Boy, the Earth guys will make great security guards

"Mwahahahah! Pohatu is gone, so we can attack in safet-"

*Earth Protector soars upward, and lands on top of LOSS's head, points his staff at LOSS's eyes and starts grinding*

"GRRAAAAAAAHAAARGH"

Speaking of the Stone Protector's weapon/pepper grinder, on the Comic Con panel slide image that has all the weapons, it says that the staff head is colored yellow.

I just find it amusing (and kinda sad) at how much it's trying to be yellow when the Stone sets use lime green. Though I guess that piece could still be yellow and the bones are just lime?

(I should really get over this...)

So I'm not the only one. :grin: And speaking of pepper, his pose reminds me of someone.. :tongue:

So, I built dummies (they all use the same exact design and they're way inaccurate) of the Toa on LDD so I can mess around with their colour schemes/organization and armour placement.

I tried replacing Pohatu's tr. lime bones with black ones (*) and giving him dark tan shells from Vardy, and he looks great! Right now I have THREE different colour schemes in mind for Pohatu, this one is the most faithful to the original set (Okotohatu, not Mata Hatu). I guess I need to try them IRL before judging.

Yup, I've also built dummies of the Toa so that I can start planning out my mods. They aren't exact though, so I'm taking them as a grain of salt.