00.jpg

After nine months of building I'd like to present my latest model.

MAN TGS 8x4 Tow Truck with OMArS 120T recovery bodywork

It is based on various trucks, mostly on this

. This gave me idea for colour scheme.

And pictures of this Volvo were also helpful.

02.jpg_thumb.jpg 03.jpg_thumb.jpg 04.jpg_thumb.jpg 05.jpg_thumb.jpg 06.jpg_thumb.jpg

07.jpg_thumb.jpg 08.jpg_thumb.jpg 09.jpg_thumb.jpg 10.jpg_thumb.jpg 11.jpg_thumb.jpg

Unlike the yellow one, which was build in a hurry for contest, this tow truck has a lot more details, like opening doors and cab interior.

49a.jpg

12.jpg_thumb.jpg 13.jpg_thumb.jpg

Whole truck is covered with stripes of reflective foil. Three rows on sides, and additional chevrons on front and back:

47.jpg_thumb.jpg 48.jpg_thumb.jpg

OK, we have talked over external appearence, now it is time for internal mechanics. And there's lot of it inside.

Model weigths 4kg, I decided to build solid frame without suspension. Due to its mass, it would not work properly.

In the inside are:

8878 battery, 6 PF motors, 2 micromotors, 4 PF switches, one 9V switch, 5 pair PF LEDs, 3 1x4 light bricks, 4 PF extension wires, two IR receivers, 5 9V wires, 11 pneumatic cylinders, 4 small pumps, one airtank, 6 pneumatic switches and one coffe cup.

Placed like this:

26.jpg_thumb.jpg 27.jpg_thumb.jpg 28.jpg_thumb.jpg

42.png_thumb.jpg 43.png_thumb.jpg 44.png_thumb.jpg 45.png_thumb.jpg

Front axles are steered by Servo motor, each axle has different steering angle, achieved with different lenght of steering arms. Simple and effective.

29.png_thumb.jpg

Single XL motor is responsible for driving whole model. It has no problems with mass of the model, even when it is towing something (W900 chassis weights over 1kg).

30.png_thumb.jpg

Main double winch is driven by single Medium Motor. Its rotation is speeded up a bit to match crane arm extending speed.

32.png_thumb.jpg

The crane arm is extended by single M motor trough linear clutch. Cluth provides additional protectnion for the extending mechanism, which uses chain links instead of gear racks.

34.png_thumb.jpg

Front winch is driven by single M motor. If you would like to build one, I have made instructions for it while learning MLCad.

33.png_thumb.jpg

Side winches are placed on both outriggers. Each is driven by single micromotor. It will not pull a elephant, but it works well with light loads.

31.png_thumb.jpg

The pneumatic compressor is driven by L motor, and is using four small 5.5L pumps connected to an airtank:

35.png_thumb.jpg

Speaking about pneumatics:

40.png_thumb.jpg 41.png_thumb.jpg

Six circuits in total, all using large cylinders:

39.png_thumb.jpg 38.png_thumb.jpg

Front outriggers use two for each outrigger:

14.jpg_thumb.jpg 16.jpg_thumb.jpg

Crane arm is raised by two cylinders, wheel lift is operated by single cylinder:

17.jpg_thumb.jpg 18.jpg_thumb.jpg

Steering hatches:

Blue - arm extending, yellow - main winch:

24.jpg_thumb.jpg

Black - front outriggers lowering, grey - front outriggers folding, yellow - raising the lightbar, red - front winch

Back:

Blue - crane arm rasing, red - wheel lift movement, grey - rear outriggers lowering

25.jpg_thumb.jpg

Compressor is powered via pressure switch. The switch has small pneumatic cylinder with rubber band connected to it. When the pressure is high enough, cylinder overcome the rubber band and turn the switch off.

37.png_thumb.jpg

Lights. Front and rear LEDs are powered directly from 8878 battery. Lightbars are powered from 9V switch placed inside the cab.

36.png_thumb.jpg

Ready to work?

19.jpg_thumb.jpg 20.jpg_thumb.jpg 21.jpg_thumb.jpg 22.jpg_thumb.jpg 23.jpg_thumb.jpg

So let's work:

And here you can see how developing of such model looks like:

2600x2600px:

46.jpg_thumb.jpg

Flickr

Edited by M_longer

Saw the video yesterday, love all the functions :classic: Also love how smoothly the pneumatics and PF functions mix together.

Incredible functionality!!! I don't know what i like more - design or mechanisms - both are perfect! And presentation is very interesting too!

Wow, it looks packed! And also very aesthetically pleasing! Very very well done model, can't remember having seen such a level of details on a tow truck of this style, so this is refreshing!;-)

Holy cow!! This thing is great.

I had to laugh about the other thread and your entrance into it. Poor Horace probably feels pretty bad about that.

v/r

Andy

Edited by AndyCW

Holy cow!! This thing is great.

I had to laugh about the other thread and your entrance into it. Poor Horace probably feels pretty bad about that.

v/r

Andy

:laugh:

Awesome truck M_loger,I like the functionality of it. :sweet:

I saw the video and I was not disappointed. Another great addition to the Technic community. If only I could see all your models together :wink: .

tim

Amazing truck, so many functions!

Well done on an amazing job and sticking with it thru so many versions.

:grin::thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I just looked at this guy's youtube page. I really hope he made into Sariel's new book. This guy's work is incredible.

Uhhmm, you are talking about me? If so, yes, my models are included in Sariel's new book.

Uhhmm, you are talking about me? If so, yes, my models are included in Sariel's new book.

Yea, I was referring to you :) -- great job, and happy that you are in Sariel's book. As I understand it, it comes out in NOV, and I already bought a copy. Hopefully it should be arriving soon.

Love it! I watched the video, love the pnuematics and those out riggers. A great model.

H :thumbup:

In one word super!!!!!

Are you going to make instructions for this beautiful machine?

No idea, so far I did not have time for making instructions of Volvo. But it has a lot of pneumatic tubbing and wires, and I am not skilled enough to make them in MLCad.

Anyway, Here is how it looks without body panels:

51.jpg_thumb.jpg 52.jpg_thumb.jpg

Wires and tubbing routing:

53.jpg_thumb.jpg

And split to modules:

50.jpg_thumb.jpg