I'm curious as to why Lego never creates a chopper as an A model? Especially with the new tumbler wheel being introduced.

I'm curious as to why Lego never creates a chopper as an A model?

I think the answer is quite simple.

The A model - the one you see on the box - has to be popular. This way, more customers are likely to buy the box.

And I guess bikes are more popular than choppers.

This is also why there are some construction vehicles we will hardly ever see in the Technic line. At best, we can hope to get them as B model (scrapper, shovel excavator, spider exacavator, etc).

4500286298_caacb06eab.jpg

Anyone else seeing this when you look at the motorcycle?

That's the first thing that came to my mind when I saw this bike hahah

Edited by Mikuri

I'm curious as to why Lego never creates a chopper as an A model?

They have!

8208-1.jpg

Well, if you compare this MOC to 42036, I am sorry to say that you definitely do not understand the restrictions and standards an official model has to deal with.

There's no need to be sorry for making a very valid point.

You're absolutely right. I don't understand the restrictions and standards the designers of official LEGO models have to deal with but nor do I profess to. I mearly said that I know they have restrictions etc,.

My point was, and apologies if this was less than clear, that in my very humble opinion the 42036 could have been better. I wasn't comparing the two nor did I say or mean to imply, that LEGO should copy the MOC in any way. I just used it as an example of the sort of set the 42036 could have been.

Don't get me wrong I couldn't do better, far from it, but to me, with my limited knowledge and MOCing ability, the 42036 is a good set but not one I'd rush out to buy.

I do appreciate your comments though.

Edited by grum64

I just used it as an example of the sort of set the 42036 could have been.

42036 just can not be even close to that MOC. I see 3 reasons :

- the first is the part count : this MOC may have twice the parts of 42036. I doubt Lego will ever release a 800 part Technic bike at 60€.

- the second is that if this MOC looks good it is partly because it has illegal/weak connections more or less everywhere. Lego can not do that.

- and the third is the stickers : I doubt Lego will ever produce such detailed/complex stickers (or printed parts)

42036 just can not be even close to that MOC. I see 3 reasons :

- the first is the part count : this MOC may have twice the parts of 42036. I doubt Lego will ever release a 800 part Technic bike at 60€.

- the second is that if this MOC looks good it is partly because it has illegal/weak connections more or less everywhere. Lego can not do that.

- and the third is the stickers : I doubt Lego will ever produce such detailed/complex stickers (or printed parts)

Anio, you're right! :classic:

I'm curious as to why Lego never creates a chopper as an A model? Especially with the new tumbler wheel being introduced.

The B model is most likely a chopper...like most bike sets it seems.

I actually would have preferred regular blue. Light blue is a rare color with so few Technic parts that you can't really do anything with it. If these panels had been regular blue, it would have really helped to fill out the blue catalog (and I really need blue panels for a certain project!).

I agree!

Are you building a WRX?

Yes. Come on Blakbird, please put us mere mortals out of our misery.

Curiousity's killing this cat and having already used a good many of my 9 lives I can't afford to loose any more :sweet:

Edited by grum64

LT1

That was a Corvette/Camaro/Trans Am 350ci engine back in the 90's... :sweet:

The first version goes back to about 1970. I only know about it because an older friend (who knows about these things) pointed out the "LT1" on the hood of a Corvette. He was really surprised and impressed. It stuck with me.

Edited by m0dulo

Anyone have any idea how the headlights are held on the 42036? I see only trans clear in the axle hole on the headlight part.

As a bike lover and rider myself I do appreciate it even if it clearly has some drawbacks and lacks features.

I will certainly buy one if not two just for the panels. I also think Lego could have done something more interesting, not using the more or less same swing arm as in the 8051..

And as someone else pointed out, why don't use the DBG or PG wheels to create a more living color scheme (maybe not combined with the LB-panels but you get my drift)

One thing I like though is that its lines flows better, much better than on the 8051 (which I although like), yes its a bit wide around the belly but that should be an fairly easy fix.

The one thing that really disappoints me is why we cannot get the a new wider rear wheel, or just use the old mold from the 8420...that for sure would be nice.

Edited by Jonsson

I think the answer is quite simple.

The A model - the one you see on the box - has to be popular. This way, more customers are likely to buy the box.

And I guess bikes are more popular than choppers.

This is also why there are some construction vehicles we will hardly ever see in the Technic line. At best, we can hope to get them as B model (scrapper, shovel excavator, spider exacavator, etc).

Yes but isn't TLG learning anything with CUUSOO models? I think people are willing to think outside the box more than TLG is aware of. Contrary to their brand, they seem to pigeonhole people's interests. The latest Lego Ideas models were vastly underproduced.

For Technic fans, they have to know that there is a whole legion of adult builders willing to buy new, novel, exciting sets. Not the same old thing. They have made many street bikes but no choppers (as an A model)

I bought this set today but don't like the blue panels and huge gaps around the chassis. Here's my revision on the color scheme and body work that I feel more complete and more comfortable.

42036_1.jpg?dl=0

42036_2.jpg?dl=0

I tried alternate color schemes too. :sweet:

16315402682_4f052c1ce3_b.jpg

Which one is your favourite ?

The yellow and black combination looks stunning, i wonder why the designers have not thought of it. The red and white one looks cool too !