just2good

'STAR WARS DARK BUCKET' project has reached 10K supporters on

Well, the semi-controversial 'STAR WARS DARK BUCKET' project has reached 10K supporters!

thumb640x360.jpg

Personally I don't think the original idea will be approved (1 Darth Vader and 99 Storm Troopers) but a plausible alternative is already on the project page, and it's called the 'Dark Bottle' (1 Darth Vader and 16 Storm Troopers with a buildable Star Wars logo):

thumb640x360.jpg

What do you guys think? Also, a big congrats to 'haru'! :sweet:

Edited by just2good

Don't see it happening.nthe build able logo isn't a large enough build to make it a sets eat, so it'll be argued by hasbro that it's a set of action figures and shoot it down. Lego will know this so probably won't even progress with it. Also, they would argue that they already do battle packs which acheive the same ends

This is one of those sets that the fans want but I cannot even imagine TLG would make, it would eliminate the need for some AFOL's to buy their oh so profitable sets.

Again, I'd buy this in a heartbeat but I really doubt TLG will go there.

This is one of those sets that the fans want but I cannot even imagine TLG would make, it would eliminate the need for some AFOL's to buy their oh so profitable sets.

Again, I'd buy this in a heartbeat but I really doubt TLG will go there.

And that's not even considering the price. With an unrealistically conservative estimate of $2 per fig, the original concept would cost $200!

Plus, even the second concept could be stretching it as far as LEGO's previous disputes with Hasbro are concerned. Even with the buildable Star Wars logo, it's undisputably a figure pack.

I honestly can't see this happening. I know star wars is insanely successful, but that doesn't justify a set like this imo.

I'm not a big star wars lego fan, one of my least favourite themes within lego. I still do have some star wars sets because they are interesting builds or cool depictions of famous movie scenes.

This just isn't interesting to anyone but hardcore star wars lego fans I think.

Then again, I'd probably buy a similiair set if it was Kingdoms or LOTR themed so maybe I'm just biased :tongue:

EDIT: P.S. I do find it funny that project like this is on CUSOO and ends up with 10.000 votes. But I don't think CUSOO should be (mis)used just for kicks and giggles. :hmpf:

Edited by Insane Ostrich

The Dark Bucket will almost definitely not happen. The bottle is highly unlikely too. Personally I don't like the idea anyway so it doesn't bother me...but like Insane Ostritch, I'd buy a Kingdoms or LOTR bucket. :tongue:

So let me get this straight.. this project got almost 10k supporters based on a description of 100 figs in a bucket ... and at the last minute the description was changed to 17 figs + a brick built Star Wars logo? Seriously?

So let me get this straight.. this project got almost 10k supporters based on a description of 100 figs in a bucket ... and at the last minute the description was changed to 17 figs + a brick built Star Wars logo? Seriously?

No the 'Dark bottle' is a separate project altogher - the OP mentioned that it was more feasible than the 'Dark bucket'.

Honestly, ppl just want something with lots of Lego stormtroopers. Typically you only get one or two with the exception of a few sets like 7264 and 7667. They just need to make a big battle pack/set with like a lot of storm troopers.

Alternatively Lego could make a standard Lego bucket with a star wars theme and 3 minifigs akin to the blue/pink lego buckets that have been around for the past 10 years. My 5 year old step brother loves star wars, but the sets are out of his age range, so he would appreciate a star wars bucket.

Edited by BrickBucket

No the 'Dark bottle' is a separate project altogher - the OP mentioned that it was more feasible than the 'Dark bucket'.

I'm sorry but I'm not sure I follow you. What do you mean by a separate project altogether? This project got at least 95% of its supporters based on 1 specific idea but it would be acceptable to somehow "transfer" these supporters to a different project assuming that the 9500 people who voted for the bucket would be equally supportive of the new version?

I don't know what is LEGO CUUSOO' stance on this question but as a former project owner myself I find the manoeuvre higly questionable.

I know that as project owner on CUUSOO you have the ability to update your project description and pictures whenever you want (for the Winchester I was able to change the description until they decided to "archive it"). But in my opinion this ability does not give you the right to modify the project subject because that is just deceiving anyone who voted for the initial version.

Neither will happen. I suspect that there is some minimum parts per minifig ratio that LEGO has to meet in order to avoid infringing on Hasbro's license with Lucas for action figures. Ultimately if they did something, it would be on the same price ratio as a battle pack, and from a business standpoint it probably makes more sense for them to package it as a battle pack rather than package the equivalent of 3-4 battlepacks together and sell it for $50 (Dark Bottle concept) or $250 (Dark Bucket concept).

This has reached 10K, and it's about to get rejected, funny how that works.

Lego said on the 5K message: Perhaps you should add some bricks, we don't have the license to sell solely figures. But the creator of the project has not even bothered to do that, and now people will have nothing. Oh well, here is hoping for some of the current ideas in consideration :sweet:.

Lego CUUSOO is becoming very unappealing to me. the projects that i supported keep getting shot down. And for stupid reasons. A lot of the "not in our target audience" is BS. A simple matter of making the sets limited satisfies the issue of minimum order and you make it available to certain exclusive retailers. Then if necessary add an age limit/recommendation for the set.

This project is a prime example of too many of the CUUSOO contributors being absurdly unrealistic.

People need to ask themselves one simple question before starting up a new project there: "Apart from appealing to fans, will this idea actually be marketable/profitable/legal for LEGO to sell?"

This project is a prime example of too many of the CUUSOO contributors being absurdly unrealistic. People need to ask themselves one simple question before starting up a new project there: "Apart from appealing to fans, will this idea actually be marketable/profitable/legal for LEGO to sell?"

Agreed, but in this case I think the project contributor was actually trolling. It's a joke. There's no way any mature adult could be unaware of the fact that there isn't a chance in hell this project will ever come to pass. Sadly, no matter how unrealistic a proposition may be, there are always going to be some people who take it seriously. Those people are now going to be upset when the Dark Bucket gets turned down.

Now that I think about it, it does seem a bit unfair. It's has a situation similar to the Ghost in Shell project, and I think for the Dark Bottle to work, it will have to be a completely different newly submitted project.

Can anyone explain to me, how does someone receive 10,000 votes ? it is an enormous number of individual votes to receive.

What / how do they do to market their creation to get to a 100,000+ audiance, of which say 10% actually set-up an Lego account and then vote their support ?

Just speculating, but the fig to part ratio seems to be a minimum of 10:1. Just based on the small sets / battle packs. And yeah there is no chance of this thing ever seeing production. The license won't allow it. Even if it would, it undercuts the business models of the existing licensed theme and hence profits. Plus they basically said that existing themes are planned and approved by third parties years in advance. I can understand some Stormtrooper obsessed AFOL proposing this thing. To live is to dream. But how the heck did they get 10k AFOL's to agree that this was a viable product? While other stuff like the Modular Movie Theaters sort of languish?

I think part of it is CuuSoo needs to change how the site sort of default feeds you or displays projects. It seems if a project gets just enough to hit the upper 20 or so it just gets auto fed support, while new fantastic stuff will never be seen without an exhaustive search.

I'll bet a big part of those votes came from kids. I read some of the comments, you can just tell. I read more than once, "this is the best project ever/on cuusoo/ever." which, obviously, is hardly the case. It's a neat idea and all, I'd buy a clone bucket without question, but any AFOL knew this wouldn't pass.

According to the internet (which is never wrong), Cuusoo means "wish" or "imagination" in Japanese. And that's the whole point of it, to have your wish come true. And as such, I don't think this dark bucket project is so ridiculous. It's somebody's wish, and in a perfect world free of problems, this would in fact make a lot of SW fans happy. I think it's better to err on the side of too many of these "wishes" than for some nice ones to go unspoken/unshared.

Also, this one isn't as bad as other projects on there. There seems to be a half-baked entry for just about every popular movie/TV show under the sun, most of which don't even have a decent MOC structure associated with it, let alone concept art of any sort. But luckily I saw that blog post on Cuusoo that Lego made about beefing up the standards for entries like that so hopefully those types of things will go away.

Can anyone explain to me, how does someone receive 10,000 votes ? it is an enormous number of individual votes to receive.

What / how do they do to market their creation to get to a 100,000+ audiance, of which say 10% actually set-up an Lego account and then vote their support ?

It's all in the license and fan base tied to the model..

I have been doing Contest Giveaways for websites, Charity work based on my model(That just happened to take place after I submitted my model to Cuusoo), TV spots and multiple newspaper articles spread across the U.S. and I am lucky if I get 10 supports a day...

I never voted for this bucket because I knew it'd be shot down without a second thought. :sceptic: I'd love to see it happen but there's a better chance of getting 1 Darth Vader and 99 troopers set from one seller on BL or eBay than from LEGO.