42047 - Police Interceptor - Rating  

42 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate this set?

15624317003_e8eb01e330.jpg

REVIEW - 42047 - POLICE INTERCEPTOR

22543080214_19a173f060_c.jpg

INTRODUCTION

Starting with the 42010 - Off-road Racer and 42011 - Race Car in 2013, TLG released two sets in the first half of each year, using a pull-back motor. The pull-back motor allows the model to be pulled back, followed by forward motion.

Usually there's no apparent relation between the two set, other than the ability to combine them into an alternate build. This year there seems to some sort of Cops and Robbers scene going on. A Getaway Racer and a Police Interceptor. That can't be a coincidence. Makes you wonder who will be victorious, the good guys or the bad guys. Let's find out!

Note: All images can be clicked for hi-res versions.

SET INFORMATION

Number: 42047

Title: Police Interceptor

Theme: Technic

Released: 2016

Part Count: 185

Box Weight: 325 gr

Box Dimensions: 26,0 cm x 13,8 cm x 5,9 cm

Set Price (MSRP): € 19,99

Price per Part: € 0,108

Links: Brickset, Bricklink

THE BOX

The box has the same dimensions as previous year's pullback motor sets. In the lower right corner there's a visual explanation of the pullback mechanism. Lime green might seem unusual for a police car, but it might work out better than expected.

22651109347_95a35b496d_c.jpg

CONTENT OF THE BOX

The box contains:

• 1 Instructions Booklet
  • 1 Sticker Sheet
  • 2 Technic Liftarms
  • 1 Pull-back Motor
  • 3 Bags

INSTRUCTION BOOKLET

The instruction booklet for the main model. Unfortunately no booklet for the alternate model.

23145492146_92971cf8a8_c.jpg

STICKER SHEET

The sticker sheet shows similar lime green details as found in the rest of the model.

23145492466_ee127281d9_c.jpg

PULL-BACK MOTOR AND LIFTARMS

The pull-back motor and liftarms haven't been sealed in plastic bags.

23145492336_5873d84184_n.jpg 22777441667_0cd154c535_n.jpg

BAGS

Three bags containing the rest of the parts.

23171603635_e614d7584b_n.jpg 22803635639_b1a7e0ef0e_n.jpg

22803635719_53b8d5651d_n.jpg

HIGHLIGHTED PARTS

This section describes the new and/or otherwise interesting parts.

7L AXLE IN YELLOW

The 7L Axle has never been released in yellow before. This year TLG surprised us with releasing axles in different colors, like yellow, red and orange. This set only contains a yellow 7L Axle, but you can checkout my other reviews to see which other axles have been (re)released. This 7L Axle has also been used in the Drag Racer.

22543079434_b19d992ec2_n.jpg

LIME GREEN PARTS

The 30.4mm D. x 20mm Wheels are unique to this set. They have been released in various colors, but never in lime green. The 3x3 L-shaped Thin Liftarms haven't been released in lime green since 2001.

23171603935_88a7982be7_c.jpg

TIRES

These 43.2 x 22 ZR Tires haven't been used in pullback sets before. They do appear in 48 other sets though, so they aren't very rare.

22544556423_7d9648b6f6_c.jpg

WHITE PANELS

If you haven't bought Commander Cody or the Mercedes Arocs this looks like the perfect set to get some of the small white panels.

22777442097_fc1a134cb6_c.jpg

PART LIST

This set contains 185 parts, shown below.

23171603225_b6e9d189de_c.jpg

THE BUILD

Since it's a small model, I will skip the building steps. I hereby present the finished Police Interceptor. I was on the fence about lime green, but seeing it in real life takes every doubt away. Although not your average police color scheme, the lime green does add a kick to this set.

I do love the overall SUV shape of the model. The Driving Ring Connector used in the chassis of the Race Cart (see my review) are used constructing the roof of this model. That relatively new parts proves to be very versatile.

22543080214_19a173f060_c.jpg

Even though there are quite a few stickers, which add some lime green details to the model, the model looks great without stickers too. It doesn't rely as much on the stickers at the Getaway Racer does.

22544557253_a8076548e6_c.jpg

The chassis is pretty basic, using the pullback motor in the rear axle.

22543080564_7032b18cea_c.jpg

VIDEO

Here's a short video showing the model.

LEFTOVER PARTS

A few common leftover parts.

22803636939_853efdc237_n.jpg

FEATURES AND FUNCTIONS

VIDEO

Here's a video demonstrating the pull-back functionality. And yes, my girlfriend was kind enough to catch the model before it fell to the ground :wink:

B-MODEL

The alternate model, the Extreme Police Racer, is a combined build with the Getaway Racer, which you can see on the back of the box. Unfortunately the instructions for the combined B-model are not included, so I didn't get a chance to build it. The double rear-wheeled formula one type racer seems to be cool enough to give it a go.

23055869292_a5129dc638_c.jpg

SUMMARY

I think this is one of the best looking pull-back racers, together with the 42026 Black-Champion-Racer from 2014. The Getaway Racer looks very good too, but it does rely heavily on it's stickers.

Lime green adds a kick to this model. Combined with white it provides a great color scheme. The model itself has a very distinctive SUV look, which is properly executed. Negative aspects are hard to find. This is a winner!!

SCORE

How do I grade the good guy in this year's duo.

9 DESIGN

16218294336_cc3a1c982b_m.jpg

The lime green actually works. Less dependent on stickers than the Getaway Racer.

7 BUILDING EXPERIENCE

10963348123_21e427d778_m.jpg

Nothing out of the ordinary.

7 FEATURES

Limited to the pull-back functionality.

7 PLAYABILITY

Combined with the Getaway Racer, kids will love it.

8 PARTS

16244195165_2b8d3e102f_m.jpg

Lime green rims are unique to this set. Lots of useful white parts.

8 VALUE FOR MONEY

10963348093_7485fc0cc2_m.jpg

Pullback sets always deliver a certain value.

7,7 GOOD GUYS DON'T ALWAYS FINISH LAST

23171604275_66741b3de7_n.jpg 22543079614_975a89c5cf_n.jpg

More image can be found on my Flickr page. Thank you for reading. I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks for the review Jim!

Im not a big fan of this set myself TBH, the model just doesnt do it for me (not a police or SUV fan), and as a parts pack... those white panels can be had in the display team jet for half the price

this set looks very much like the lada niva. :tongue: very ugly imaom1my4hnbt9v1.jpg

Edited by roppie11

I want it for my Kid ! One of the best small sets this year and before - hehe I would never thought that I would be looking for a PullBack model :)

I'm loving all of the reviews - and even some of the sets (*) - you are doing, but, as always, it is the negatives that get posted :wink: . You state above that "The Race Kart consists of 185 parts". That should probably read "Police Interceptor", no?

As mah mommah always used to say: "If you ain't got nothing nice to say, use smileys".

(She must have been a visionary since Al Gore hadn't yet invented the internet at that time)

This PI set has gotten some hate, which is weird because I ~really~ love the look (or rather 'stance') of this nifty little car. It just screams "business" (no jokes on noise from pull-back engines to be found here).

It - obviously - nicely complements the getaway racer, but that has a weird thing going on at its back-end. Too open, a bit unfinished, really. Almost as if they tried to fit in a '50s style lowrider trunk but didn't have the circular pieces to really pull off that look. But anyway, that should go on its own thread.

(*) The helicopter has gone from "Yuck; what ~were~ they thinking?" to "How can I smuggle it inside without the wife finding out?".

Edited by JimDude

I'm loving all of the reviews - and even some of the sets (*) - you are doing, but, as always, it is the negatives that get posted :wink: . You state above that "The Race Kart consists of 185 parts". That should probably read "Police Interceptor", no?

Working on six reviews at the same time, has it's challenges. Thanks for pointing it out!

I just found this set at my local Toys R Us. I was surprised to find that the pullback motor didn't work. An inserted axle just spun freely in either direction. I got out my jewelers screwdrivers and took it apart and couldn't find any obvious problem. When I put it back together it worked fine. Go figure. In any case, now I know what the inside looks like!

I just found this set at my local Toys R Us. I was surprised to find that the pullback motor didn't work. An inserted axle just spun freely in either direction. I got out my jewelers screwdrivers and took it apart and couldn't find any obvious problem. When I put it back together it worked fine. Go figure. In any case, now I know what the inside looks like!

And obviously you took some pictures for us to enjoy? :laugh:

Strange malfunction by the way.

did you take pics?

And obviously you took some pictures for us to enjoy? :laugh:

Strange malfunction by the way.

i think you should have noted the rare x346 part in your review....trans dark blue has not been seen in many years

And obviously you took some pictures for us to enjoy?

did you take pics?

Yes, but I took them with my retina and stored them in my hippocampus. It turns out Eurobricks doesn't support that format. Stupid outdated software .....

It looks great in those images. I think as a child I would have loved this, perhaps even the Getaway racer. I still may end up having an Interceptor on my office table.

The B model while nice -if you can get over the color vomit- seems pointless in my opinion.

By the way, the Reviews section in the Technic, Model Team and Mindstorms Index needs a little update.