LEGO Train 12 Volts

Union Pacific 6900 DDA40X

Union Pacific 6900 DDA40X

Hi Everyone,

after months of hard work I can show my last creation the UP6900! :laugh:

Some decals aren't 100% ok but in the upcoming Christmas holidays I will dedicate myself to perfecting the work replacing the white front number with a plaque on a black background.

The DDA40X was a 6,600 hp Diesel locomotive built for the Union Pacific Railroad. The DDA40X uses two diesel engines and is the most powerful single-unit diesel locomotive ever built! :wub:

up6900-001.jpg

up6900-002.jpg

I wanted to post this model urgently to guarantee the originality of my creation just in time, before Barduck and his amazing model! :wink:

(Quite honestly my creation is 7 studs wide and not 8 studs, so there will be two distinct works).

up6900-003.jpg

The hardest part for the realization of this model was the cabin since there isn't a lego windscreen ready for the 7 studs format; even the inclusion of the IR receiver and battery wasn't easy this time.

Inside the main body there are many electrical wires welded for the management of the ON/OFF switches of the two motros and the lights.

The ventilation grilles have been another design problem that took me different planning steps ...but in the end under the Christmas tree I can show this unforgettable American icon. :excited:

up6900-004.jpg

up6900-005.jpg

up6900-006.jpg

up6900-007.jpg

up6900-008.jpg

up6900-009.jpg

up6900-010.jpg

up6900-011.jpg

up6900-012.jpg

up6900-013.jpg

up6900-014.jpg

up6900-015.jpg

Soon I will post a video to show how this locomotive (70 studs long) runs on lego standard tracks with switches and tight corners.

In the months ahead I will fulfill an Union Pacific convoy as Nebraska and Barduck have done!

Stay tuned! :classic:

Great locomotive :wub: and I guess that 7 wide brings some more difficulties than 6 or 8 wide since it is an uneven number and might require a lot of jumper plates (at least that's my experience. The windscreen also looks great. How many cars can this locomotive pull?

Nice one, there's even a few details that I completely missed on mine. Will still be a week or 2 (I think) before mine is finished, still a lot off parts that are on their way. Shame we live so far from eachother (though the Americans would offcourse think this distance trivial), else we could have set them next to eachother and compare the scale difference. The windscreen is my favourite part I think, though there's plenty of things to see and drool on

Sweet! I like how you hid the switches behind the battery doors.

Thanks Dr_Spock you're always welcome! :classic:

Great locomotive :wub: and I guess that 7 wide brings some more difficulties than 6 or 8 wide since it is an uneven number and might require a lot of jumper plates (at least that's my experience. The windscreen also looks great. How many cars can this locomotive pull?

I'm planning to create six wagons 44 studs long, the locomotive is fast and powerfull for now ...but I will see wagon after wagon :sceptic:

Thats really massive! What motors did you use for it?

Two standard PF train motors

Nice one, there's even a few details that I completely missed on mine. Will still be a week or 2 (I think) before mine is finished, still a lot off parts that are on their way. Shame we live so far from eachother (though the Americans would offcourse think this distance trivial), else we could have set them next to eachother and compare the scale difference. The windscreen is my favourite part I think, though there's plenty of things to see and drool on

Hi Barduck, it's nice hear from you and I'm surprise how we are both working on the same project again (was the Triplex last time) ...now I'm learning from you and your flickr pages how to made some good UP rolling stock for this huge diesel locomotive. I'm working also on a convoy for my Big Boy.

About living so far I agree with you ...it would be an honour meet you and talking about our hobby and train creations! :blush:

Now I'm waiting for your PROJECT X 8 studs wide ...a real monster with many amazing solution! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

She's beautiful, I can't wait for the video to see how this beast corners.

Thanks Steph, I will post a video for Christmas days! :wink:

Edited by LEGO Train 12 Volts

Oh wow, another beautiful build. Very well done with lots of clever concealment to hide the PF, which in itself is impressive. I like all of the details built into the MOC, especially the attention you paid to the cab. I do hope you have wide radius curves either already in hand or coming soon. This engine is too nice for standard lego curves (all the more impressive that it can negotiate them without problems)

Given the size of your two respective builds, I would think they would almost be touching one another already (grin).

I like the way your 'compromises' look better than my 'design features'.

Brilliant all the way and even moreso as it is in 7 wide!

Thanks Dread Pirate Rob ...but have you too a similar model?

Given the size of your two respective builds, I would think they would almost be touching one another already (grin).

LOL :laugh:

Thanks for your kind words Zephyr ...you have to know that very often I look at your last wonderful creation to get ideas for my UP convoy! :sweet:

Thanks also to Pop Bumper Pete, Mariano, Kevin8, King Aragorn and Godzilla for your comments! :blush:

I am very very impressed. The real locomotive is impressive, and not only have you captured the look well, you have also managed to get it to work on lego track? That is some achievement!

Holy COW that's huge!

How did you manage to get the 4-axle bogies to work?

I would assume wheels 1 & 4 are sliding sideways in some sort of groove.

(Wheels 2&3 are the normal PF train engine)

At least that's the way I'd try to do it.

Impressive loco BTW !!!

But it must look almost ridiculous in a 180deg std curve !(?)

This is clearly a design which fits better with large radius curves.

Hi Duke

Many compliments. It's really impressive I like the cure for details, as in your wonderfull BR53. Just a question about the scale: since we are talking about LEGO modellism it is not trivial going 7 or 8, what's the exact width of the original? LEGO has discrete step, I know some compromise are necessary, for that I'm working (as you know) on a BR wich will fulfill the request for a 1:38 replica.

Sergio

Wow, is a really huge and amazing job!

I love the tecnique you have used, the color and the stickers...(as usual i don't love the "extra parts")

Wait to see you and your wonderful loco soon as possible, but i'm really busy with my work...

Next time i also have to show you some new project, and some new loco, sure you love!

Thanks Dread Pirate Rob ...but have you too a similar model?

No, I would like to say I don't because of my limited brick collection, however I must say I don't because of my limited skill:) Can't wait to see more video of this remarkable build.

Info on DDA40X

Gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm)

Wheelbase Between truck centers: 65 ft (19.81 m):

Truck wheelbase: 17 ft 1 12 in (5.22 m)

Length 98 ft 5 in (30.00 m)

Width 10 ft 4 in (3.15 m))

Height cab roof: 14 ft 11 38 in (4.56 m): overall: 16 ft 4 in (4.98 m)

Edited by GallardoLU

Info on DDA40X

Gauge 4 ft 8 12 in (1,435 mm)

Wheelbase Between truck centers: 65 ft (19.81 m):

Truck wheelbase: 17 ft 1 12 in (5.22 m)

Length 98 ft 5 in (30.00 m)

Width 10 ft 4 in (3.15 m))

Height cab roof: 14 ft 11 38 in (4.56 m): overall: 16 ft 4 in (4.98 m)

I've been doing the math with these numbers and I come to the conclusion that my version is in scale 1/36 based on length, though to be perfectly to that scale she should be half a brick wider and 1 plate higher. Oh well, close enough

Edited by Barduck