Sign in to follow this  
WesternOutlaw

MOC: Adventure Airstrip

adventureairstrip.jpg

Introducing my latest MOC incorporating the bi-plane from Flying Mummy Attack and Series 3 Minifigure Pilot.

I'll share some additional images soon.

Woow, what a great moc! :thumbup::classic:

The flyerfig is a great addition to this set.

The shed is terriffic.

Great idea for a MOC TheBrickster - excellent execution too :wink: - featuring the two best figs of the PQ theme and the minifig series 3 flyer.

AWESOME creation 'The Brickster' :grin: .....a very nice hanger for that PQ bi-plane. :sweet:

Keep up the COOL stuff and of course, I'm a conformist! ! :grin:

Very nice build TheBrickster, first time I've seen a PQ MOC. Good job on this airplane hangar, the wooden exterior finish really fits well the theme. Nice use of that windmill blade too. default_thumbup.gif Can't wait to see some photos of the interior.

first time I've seen a PQ MOC.

Thanks Kiel. It's great to have themes like Adventurers/Orient Expedition, Indiana Jones, and Pharaoh's Quest because I think the adventure themes offer a lot of opportunities for MOC building (from vehicles to buildings - only limited by the time-era).

Right now, the interior of the shed doesn't have much going on, but I have some space for a few workbenches, maybe an engine, and some other aircraft parts.

I should also mention that inpiration from this came from an old idea book (#6000). I've always wanted to build a hangar worthy of an adventure plane and seem to go back to my roots.

ideabook6000shed.jpg

and one of my all-time favorite adventure-related sets:

01-boxfront.jpg

Very nice! I like the use of the windmill piece, and it's also the first time I have seen the Series 3 Bomber pilot used! Great work. :classic:

Ok, so I held back on commenting but...

I am not overly fond of the Spirit of Luis flag? Sign? I guess I just don't see it as a flag design really. The build itself is pretty tight, but there needs to be more detail to break up the somewhat bland walls.

The colours and the windmill are great, but it still kind of looks like a "background" MOC for a larger layout. The door extension is very well done. :classic:

Nice work.. it really fits in perfectly with the theme (and I like the Spirit of Luis flag!!) Can't wait until the PQ theme hits here!!

I like it, pretty cool little private airport build, as somebody that works at an FBO I suggest two additions, a wind sock (as seen in set 6444) and coffee mugs, pilots like their coffee. :classic:

(and I like the Spirit of Luis flag!!)

Thanks - a little about the flag:

I had originally planned to have a countries official flag and considered US, UK, and even Germany. Upon thinking about it more, I thought rather then use a real flag, I would incorporate a decal from the official theme, choosing the Spirit.

But as I didn't want to spend the time creating a custom decal, the decal has been merely photo-edited in for fun.

as somebody that works at an FBO I suggest two additions, a wind sock (as seen in set 6444) and coffee mugs, pilots like their coffee.

Great suggestions - thanks. If you look at the brown crate/box toward the front, there's something yellow in there. It's a yellow coffee mug (but probably could be more easily shown - perhaps having a pilot holding the cup in sipping formation).

It's funny you should mention the wind sock; I almost added the one from 6444 (one of my favorite sets). Just didn't want to go hunting for it. I actually tried creating my own, but nothing seemed to work well at the time.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'd really like to revisit an Egyptian Desert diorama, but Train Town is taking all my space at the moment.

I would love to use this and some of the new Pharaoh's Quest sets in something like this:

largex250.jpg

That's awesome Brickster, it reminds me a bit of Indiana Jones but with your touch on it and the new theme.

Your images are top notch, the backgrounds really make your stuff stand out.

This is really a very nice hanger for your small little air strip at the back of your courtyard. It really gives me a good feeling when I could see the new bi-plane fitting in there. Could imagine lots of fun that you could integrate in your Egyptian Adventure diorama and I got a good feeling that you are planning for one. :wink:

Very cool MOC!

Love your pics. The backgrounds make your hanger really POP.

The door and roof are my favorite, but the details arond the shed are simply fantastic! If this were a set, I would sell my house sell my soul! to buy it. (Not really, just a little jokedefault_cry_happy.gif )

Great suggestions - thanks. If you look at the brown crate/box toward the front, there's something yellow in there. It's a yellow coffee mug (but probably could be more easily shown - perhaps having a pilot holding the cup in sipping formation).

It's funny you should mention the wind sock; I almost added the one from 6444 (one of my favorite sets). Just didn't want to go hunting for it. I actually tried creating my own, but nothing seemed to work well at the time.

One thing too i like alot about this model is older pilots talking to younger guys, this is very common at smaller airports, folks hanging around on a nice day (before or after a flight) shooting the breeze. Other suggestions for additions to future lego fbo's are on out-house or restroom of some type, using the "can" before a flight is well....a no-brainer! Some type of outdoor game, basketball hoop, maybe a baseball or cricket bat lying around for something to do on those days were you have a low ceiling but no bad weather, possibly a radio for music for the same reasons. Also this maybe to modern for this type of era, but some type of UNICOM device, again common at small airports. I saw the mug in the crate so your good there, always stick with your first thought (like with the wind sock idea) and you'll make a good PIC.