Scouty

Carribean Clipper vs the Imperial Flagship

Carribean Clipper Vs. Imperial Flagship  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is better?

• The Almighty Caribbean Clipper!
    • The Fearsome Imperial Flagship!

CC and IF both have 4 minifigs :pir-wink:

Thanks for correcting, sorry my mistake. I just mean someone likes CC more just because it has more soilder ( ignore that "pirate" minifig on the Flagship) :pir-blush:

Thanks for correcting, sorry my mistake. I just mean someone likes CC more just because it has more soilder ( ignore that "pirate" minifig on the Flagship) :pir-blush:

No need to apologize :pir-wink:, you got a point that TLG unfortunately keeps giving us less and less minifigs. But yeah, "just because it has more soldiers" is kind of a stupid reason to me too.

For a collection/army, sure the CC has better figs, but the IF has a much more interresting minifig selection and is much better for a stand-alone set, one of the few sets where the "pirate" is used as a regular sailor for the "good guys" (I think the only other set where the fig is not used as a pirate is 6277 imperial trading post).

I think Clipper's sails are much more natural, and they definitely fits better in the same scene with Black Seas Barracuda or Skull's Eye Schooner because they all have sails with vertical lines.

Blue is a royal colour, so the sails remain flawless to me.

Imperial Flagship has nice sails but they don't fit that well with the Pirates sails in the same scene.

However, I go for the Imperial Flagship because I find this ship one of the most elegant ships of all time even if is not that impressive in size.

Caribbean Clipper looks a bit fat, its overall shape being too round.

Maybe another hull added there would have change my opinion.

Both of these are very nice ships (sloops really in RN terms), however I'd put the Clipper (I prefer the English name Sea Hawk) first as it is potentially better armed (the gunports are ready to be used, although only two cannons came with the model), it is the larger ship, is better crewed (the ship actually has sailors instead of soldiers with shakos and packs) and the ship has a cabin which makes the ship look bettter from astern. The only thing I don't like is the odd rigging and the fact that I've never figured out what type of ship it is. The Imperial Flagship (Sea Lion) is much better rigged as it is clearly some sort of Cutter.

The other thing I like better about the Clipper is that despite its smaller size it was still a match for the Barracuda (Dark Shark) as it carried the same number of guns. The Imperial Flagship, in contrast, was hopelessly outgunned by the Skulls Eye Schooner (I hate that American name as it clearly isn't a schooner).

I voted for Imperial Flagship because I got it on Christmas when I was a child. The second reason is that it looks bigger and more powerful.

The clipper all the way. Better colors, better sails, better overall look.

I own the Clipper, and it's personally my favorite ship. The sails are just plain amazing, and the minifigs too :classic: . There are a few problems, such as no back sail and open cabin, but still it's bigger than the flagship and is just overall better. I do, however like the front sail of the flagship, it can be used for just about any ship.

Edited by Grimmbeard

Clipper. Yes, i know. As a Redcoat i should vote the Imperial Flagship, but theres that tiny thing wich just makes me hate the whole ship, and they are the sails. I just dont like them at all.

Captain Becker

Edited by Captain Becker

I've got and I love both of them, but there is an evidence we can't ignore: the design of the "Sea Lion" (Imperial Flagship) is much better than the Caribbean Clipper. This mast without sails makes no sense at all, the ship is too broad (it should be longer), the single and central "steps" to get up to the mast (sorry I don't know how to say it in english) is not realistic, because it should be on the two sides of the mast, etc. On the other hand, the design of the Sea Lion is excellent: realistic, fast, slender and powerful.

Despite of that, the Caribbean has some advantages: More space, better minifigs (I don't like that sailor of the Sea Lion, he should have been a soldier) the cabin (the IF has no cabin, what a shame!), and a little hold.

Nevertheless, in conclusion I vote for the Imperial Flagship.

6271a.png

Edited by Captain Fortune

The name "Imperial Flagship" alone ought to disqualify it from winning, since it's the most misleading name EVER. :tongue:

I can't remember which one I voted, I can't even decide which one I like most now,

the imperial flagship may not be a flagship but those sails are nice, on the other hand I like how the CC has two courses of sails on the foremast and the wide cabin is cool.

The name "Imperial Flagship" alone ought to disqualify it from winning, since it's the most misleading name EVER. :tongue:

Agreed, it's very confusing, I even think the poll is not accurate anymore assuming that a great deal of people who recently voted had the new imperial flagship in mind :wacko:

Edited by Sebeus I

Even though I have more blue guys than red, I never liked the CC design at all. Even as a wee whelp, I scoffed at pictures of it amidst the pirate ships. The IF is not a whole lot better, though. :hmpf_bad:

The Imperial Flagship is far more appealing to me them the CC, the design around the area where the cannons poke out the sides of the ship is best imporvement area, the only thing that the CC has on the IF is where the helms man stands. There both great classic ships, I own the CC.

While the Imperial Flagship has an incredibly misleading name it still is a lot better than the Clipper in my opinion. It just has one of the best colour schemes and nicest sail patterns ever. Also it has a lot better proportions. The Clipper is way too short for its width.

Both are good ships, I don't know what ship is better.

CC has anchor, IF not. 1 point to CC

IF has more realistic riggings. 1 point to IF

In any case, I prefer IF, so i have voted IF

Tough I like both ships (and sadly own neither yet...), judging by these pics alone I voted for the Imperial Flagship. However, if some modifications could be made (like extra cannons, several extra crewmen...), I think Clipper would be my choice!

Tough I like both ships (and sadly own neither yet...), judging by these pics alone I voted for the Imperial Flagship. However, if some modifications could be made (like extra cannons, several extra crewmen...), I think Clipper would be my choice!

I can sign this, I voted the Imperial Flagship, however the other one would be easy to improve with some slight changes/additions.

I have to say, i like how the Caribbean clipper looks, but i don't like bluecoats. so i have to go with the redcoat imperial flagship.

Voted for the Clipper too. My reasons is that it succeeds more at what it's trying to achieve. Whereas the Imperial Flagship......looks nothing like an Imperial Flagship.

The caribbean clipper could never be a flagship either!

I voted for the Clipper because I had it along with the BSB when I was a kid. While I did always find the back mast to be a bit strange, the blue sails are great. I think the BSB and Clipper sails are among the best in the entire series. I'm also biased towards the bluecoats because that's the army I had as a kid.

I just got back into Lego, and recently bought the IF so that my BSB has something to battle (the Clipper belongs to my brother). Maybe someday I will be able to do a side by side comparison of the two. One thing I definitely don't like about the IF are the sails. Those crossed cannons are just awful looking. The ship itself does look neat, and I can't wait to build it.

I think CC is much better. Maybe the IF looks better at first look, but the sails hung fast down and than they got crumpled and when you stand it in a corner and look again 5 years later,

the sail got a new form and it is difficoult to fix that.