Rufus

21102 LEGO CUUSOO Minecraft

I'm a big fan of minecraft, but...I just don't think this will work. I mean, sure, lego and minecraft are very easy to combine, because minecraft is literally blocks. But the issue is, the sets would be EXPENSIVE. Not only would they have the license markup, but also they would have to include quite a lot of "blocks" more than likely 2x2 bricks, and for them to look anything decent there would have to be a lot of printed ones(Otherwise, the sticker sheets are gonna be bigger than exo forces!) Besides, the real motive for these things would more than likely be the items(tools, potions, items, etc) and the minifigures.

I would assume there won't be printed parts, large quantities of stickers, or minifigures. Past Cuusoo models have been largely sculptural, and I think that would be the type of LEGO Minecraft product that would sell best, since the audience is probably mostly fans and collectors rather than people who would spend a lot of time playing with the sets.

Of course, I could be wrong. TLG is no doubt going to do some market research to figure out what type of sets are best and how best to distribute and market them.

Considering that we have had a Lord of the Rings thread for months in the Licensed forum, despite there being more or less zero real proof that Lego would have ever even considered such license, shouldn't this topic be removed there? Here at least we know that a license is officially in consideration (or so they say).

No. That one is fine right where it is...

For those of you who voted for Minecraft to become an official LEGO license your work has paid off.

5a7209a9e2d093001087c9e3ad11dc09.jpg

Click the picture for the link to blog as well as the LEGO CUUSOO post.

Happy New Year! Since the Minecraft™ project reached 10,000 supporters on LEGO® CUUSOO,

many of you have been eagerly awaiting our update. Until now, the project has been in the

LEGO Review—a stage before product development begins where a LEGO Jury evaluates the

idea’s feasibility as a product and makes a decision.

We're happy to announce that the Minecraft project on LEGO CUUSOO has passed the LEGO

review and we are now developing a concept that celebrates the best aspects of building with

the LEGO system and in Minecraft. We can’t wait to show it to you—but it isn't ready just yet.

These things take time, so we appreciate your patience. More details are to come

Pretty cool.

There are a lot of directions this could go. I'm thinking semi-minifig figures, like Friends, in some sort of new scale not unlike Modulex.

It seems like a perfect fit, but when you really look at it...what the heck are they gonna do? :laugh:

It seems like a perfect fit, but when you really look at it...what the heck are they gonna do? :laugh:

I love the game, can play it all day long, but really Callmepie is right, what on earth can they do which someone cant already do with a tub of bricks?

Im thinking that they will release 1 or 2 sets maybe 7 to make a line but after that nothing.

Pretty cool.

There are a lot of directions this could go. I'm thinking semi-minifig figures, like Friends, in some sort of new scale not unlike Modulex.

What do you have against Modulex? :shrug_confused:

I can picture these sets as a basic brick box, with a fancy box and a big price mark up.

Whoa, dudes and dudettes! It's happening! *sheds tear*

I really loved the initial idea and almost shouted in joy once Mojang took up the concept on Cuusoo and ran with it.

Also I really appreciate the ongoing support for this project here on EB! This is not to be taken for granted. Over on german 1000Steine.de for instance the whole concept was chastised, belittled and in the end easily rejected as a superfluous affront against any form of creative approach in the Lego medium, as it was feared the whole concept of a "blocky by default"-world would take away from a richer building experience... But the folks over there ARE very, well, how to best put this... conservative in perception.

I hope there's a Creeper, an Enderman and a diamond pickaxe somewhere in this. If so, colour me happy ^^

Be well all!

Cutty

What do you have against Modulex? :shrug_confused:

I can picture these sets as a basic brick box, with a fancy box and a big price mark up.

With all due respect Lord Modulex, the line wasn't a huge success. It's just not compatible with LEGO - that being the case, why make more? LEGO has a massive collection of bricks and extra things made for the same scale, introducing a new one for one theme is kind of pointless.

If LEGO's gonna release bricks all printed in a Minecraft style (or whatever the heck they're doing) I'd rather be able to use them in other creations rather than treat it as its own system.

A bulk block set with a big mark up is one of my personal foremost predictions concerning this theme. Minecraft is entirely based on its fans creations, so they'll likely just use it to promote more bulk block buckets like you say.

Everyone keeps going on about figs, which confuses me to no end. From the beginning I've been expecting something more sculpture-like like the previous two Cuusoo sets (Shinkai 6500 and Hayabusa). So a Creeper could be something very much like this MOC, or maybe something smaller so it could be a part of a full "vignette".

Of course, it's possible TLG might make this more like a more typical "licensed theme", but I really strongly doubt it. As with the previous Cuusoo sets, I expect that these will be not so much toys as collectors' items, so as to take advantage of Minecraft fans outside the main LEGO fan community just as the Architecture sets and other adult-oriented products appeal to adult collectors who don't identify as AFOLs.

Edited by Aanchir

This will be odd. I'm guessing a huge bucket for $200-$250 dollars and instructions on how to build scenes. That way, everyone can be happy with building and rebuilding their own Minecraft scenes. I would just get it for the bricks. How many 2 x 2 bricks can a guy have?

I don't hate this as much as when it first started showing up as a possibility (on Flickr), but not sure where anyone is getting a "theme" idea. I think this would be like the other Cuusoo sets and just be a 1-off. They might make new parts but more likely they will just create colors/prints for parts that already exist. It could give us some interesting printed parts though. I hope it isn't $250! Wow that would be a lot of money for something fashioned after a computer game and into a toy.

While browsing IGN, I noticed this article. Many apologies if this has already been posted, but I think that I would have heard of this before if it was already posted here. Also I'm not sure if Licensed is the best forum, but I figured that it would be ok since it is a license with Minecraft. So I don't know if you guys are excited, but I can't wait!

Most useless liscence ever(well...) lego and minecraft is similar enough already so that it doesen't need a lisence In my opinion.

Interested to see what the set(s) turns out to be.

Although I am interested to see what is actually coming from this, I still think this is not going to make a good set (sets?). I think what happened during the approval process is that TLG just saw the huge minecraft fanbase and decided that that crowd was large enough to justify approval :sadnew:.

I can see TLG going one of two ways with this, either a sculpture (A pickaxe, a diamond, a block?) or a large bin with (printed?) 2x2 bricks. Either way, I am not too excited about this, and I doubt I will be buying any sets that come out of this. But then again, I am not a huge fan of Minecraft.

Most useless liscence ever(well...) lego and minecraft is similar enough already so that it doesen't need a lisence In my opinion.

Interested to see what the set(s) turns out to be.

I must agree with you deskp.

I'm not interested in Minecraft but I'm wondering where this line will go? If the printed bricks Minecraft idea goes through these sets would cost a fortune. TLG would have to pay the developers a 10% and then a set with 200 - 300 printed parts sounds very expensive for a lot of 2x2 bricks.

I can't see this line working if your not a fan of Minecraft. Who wants a tone of 2x2 bricks. I love Lego for it diverse element range to get different shapes and connections going. building in just 2x2 sounds boring to me.

Everyone keeps going on about figs, which confuses me to no end. From the beginning I've been expecting something more sculpture-like like the previous two Cuusoo sets (Shinkai 6500 and Hayabusa). So a Creeper could be something very much like this MOC, or maybe something smaller so it could be a part of a full "vignette".

Of course, it's possible TLG might make this more like a more typical "licensed theme", but I really strongly doubt it. As with the previous Cuusoo sets, I expect that these will be not so much toys as collectors' items, so as to take advantage of Minecraft fans outside the main LEGO fan community just as the Architecture sets and other adult-oriented products appeal to adult collectors who don't identify as AFOLs.

Hear, hear! Words of wisdom.

Admittedly I can't understand why anyone would want to pay to get anything as ugly/boring as that (not saying that the MOC is bad or ugly, just that the thing it it portraying is). But then again, I haven't ever played Minecraft so I probably can't understand. I can't understand many other things either. :classic:

Sorry, this is already being discussed in Community. As it is not yet an official LEGO license, we won't be discussing it in the Licensed forum. I am aware that it has received 10,000 votes on Cuusoo. However, until they iron out the licensing agreement, we'll keep it to community. Thanks.

Correct topic is here.

And don't PM me about it. My head is buried in the sand. It's just a stupid idea. I hate it. Leave me alone. :laugh::tongue: Stupid Minecraft BS...

Finally ... a theme I'll gladly pass on ;) I really didn't believe this is becoming a reality and as said I can't imagine where they'll be going. I must say I'm probably at the minority here that hasn't actually played the game and also don't intend to, but have seen things and I don't imagine them as sets. I guess if they want to sell this, they either have to make something extra special or it will be the cheapest licensed sets ever! I thought it took them so long for the response to find a nice way to say that this idea is just lame ... guess they didn't find it :(

not sure why you'd need a lot of printed bricks. You can do a few coal/iron ore with 1x1 studs, grass texture with existing flower stems and green tiles/plates, trees are probably fine with existing foliage.

I think you could do most of it with standard bricks - I wouldn't think Lego would want to do many/any custom pieces for a limited run Cuusoo set? Enough pieces to make a nice diorama, and leaving flexibility for your own creations.

I'd like it minifig size. I'd love a minifig creeper!

Um, I'm not actually sure what Mind Craft is? I have had a look at this and also googled it. Am I right to think it is a video/computer game where you build things in a similar manner to how you build with LEGO anyway, which if this is the case begs the question why not just buy a lot of LEGO and build stuff?

Perhaps I am missing the point though?

I think this could be kind of a fun theme. What I wouldl like to see is for them to make the minifig just a solid color with not face or anything just blank. To emulate how you can design what your guy looks like. Each set could have a different color of minifig.