AllanSmith

2010 Train Sets

Looking good to me. Cargo set more than the passenger, but lets wait and see.

I was expecting them to possibly retain the RC train battery box as a cheap way to supply the power, but it does look like the PF battery. That doesn’t just mean a £42/€57 battery as I assume they need to include the transformer in every set as well !

Nice to see more sets than just the trains and with extras like the station bridge/taxi & repair truck.

Would be great to see the full banner at the bottom. The left hand side looks like the top of the cargo crane and the right had side the top of the station bridge – so in what we can see I don’t think this is showing a different set that would be the TRU exclusive. (If you watch the video on full screen I think you can make out the lights in the model of the bridge on the table to the left side of the spokesperson just before she finishes talking).

Would be great to see the full banner at the bottom. The left hand side looks like the top of the cargo crane and the right had side the top of the station bridge – so in what we can see I don’t think this is showing a different set that would be the TRU exclusive. (If you watch the video on full screen I think you can make out the lights in the model of the bridge on the table to the left side of the spokesperson just before she finishes talking).

I'm starting to think you're right. Here's a cut-out of the moment you're referring to. The box art indeed shows the red railings and the actual set displayed (next to the spokesperson's head) shows the rather tall light posts.

trains2010.jpg

Edited by Rick

What is the hand turning on the passenger set box could it be a transformer know or am I just really hoping too much

THANX FOR THE NEW SETS LEGO

Guys,

did you all check the movie on the frontpage from SkyNews?

Please check from 1:37 when the interview starts, behind her there are clearly standing two train sets. Are those new? I am looking to a yellow (cargo?) train with truck and a red passenger train.

What are your thoughts?

Guys,

did you all check the movie on the frontpage from SkyNews?

Please check from 1:37 when the interview starts, behind her there are clearly standing two train sets. Are those new? I am looking to a yellow (cargo?) train with truck and a red passenger train.

What are your thoughts?

You found America :grin::wacko:

I'm starting to think you're right. Here's a cut-out of the moment you're referring to. The box art indeed shows the red railings and the actual set displayed (next to the spokesperson's head) shows the rather tall light posts.

trains2010.jpg

Notice the yellow dashed platform (left side of the box). The train track would line up along this and pass beneath the tall red railings (right side of box). That taxi cab is familiar as well. Check LegoMyMamma's Blog for the original TRU exclusive concept art showing the cabhere

My 2 cents: i think the picture in the bottom set is a variation of a truck stop. Its not an elevated track, theres a rounded part on the left most side that meets another red piece, this intersection is at too weird of an angle to allow a train to navigate from one section to the other. Also, if you look at the box art for the passenger train, it doesn't look elevated. Further, if that is in fact elevated track, why would they have a train station for passengers with regular track when the only train with regular track would be the cargo train? Makes little sense. Going back to the truck stop idea, the red in the banner looks like it could be the top of where gas pumps are. just my guess. Whether or not I'm right, I'm ridiculously excited about that new cargo train!

Edit: Also with all the new trucks being released (Octan Tanker, the red one in the cargo train set, the yellow one behind the ladies head) it only seems proper to have a truck stop for them all

Edited by Moose

From what I can see from the photo, the cargo train set is a big monster set:

- Yellow engine

- 3 transport sections, one for oil tank, one for holding a small blue car, one for the yellow container

- Include a red truck and green loading facility for cargo handling

It is even crazier than 7898 in terms of content.

Let's just hope that doesn't mean that the set is without the power functions kit (i.e. it would be extra). Although, given I haven't space for a train layout (just space for a small display), it might be better in my particular case to have more bricks rather than PF kit!

Here's a still... :wub:

(She looks happy too!)

Nice :wub: it looks like my wallet is going to have another bad year! :cry_sad:

Edited by Ralph

Two more notices:

It's really a pity that the train station will be that small! :thumbdown: Of course that pedestrian bridge is a great addition and it's even great to get two platforms - but nevertheless a decent train station is neccessary! :cry_sad:

But it's great that TLG designed that a great diesel engine :wub: which goes much better with a cargo train than an electric engine! :thumbup:

Let's just hope that doesn't mean that the set is without the power functions kit (i.e. it would be extra). Although, given I haven't space for a train layout (just space for a small display), it might be better in my particular case to have more bricks rather than PF kit!

On the box of the passenger train set you can clearly see that PFs are included. So it would be absurd if they don't include PFs in the cargo train set, too. Plus about 200 Euros for the cargo train without PFs would be a fancy price only very few people would buy and even remember that this is going to be a set mainly for JFOLs - so there have to be PFs included in order to that it can drive.

Btw: I don't want to shock you - but I fear that this passenger train will be a complete regular train and no elevated train: The two white pillars are one street lamp on the platform and a signal next to the track. Plus do you see the white minifig? If this is an elevated train it would mean that the tracks are directly above the head of the minifig.

I hope I'm wrong. :cry_sad:

Klaus-Dieter

I'd love to lay my hands on that new yellow cargo train.

As for the red passenger train....I am no too sure....

Two more reasons I detected on the pic which speak against the new passenger train being an elevated train:

1. Why would TLG display the passenger train without pillars if it is an elevated train with tracks on pillars? You have to agree that this would make no sense - even since mainly AFOLs would be euphoric to see a new elevated train.

2. The cargo loading station seems to me like it is very wide so that two trains can drive down through it. If there is only one train (namely the cargo train) this would for a kid make no sense.

3. The minifig on the platfrom has its head directly in front of the wheels of the train. So the train - taking in consideration the stereoscopic effect of the box art design - must drive on about the same level like the minifig is positioned.

Nevertheless - like already mentioned - I hope that I'm wrong and this will be an elevated train.

Klaus-Dieter

Edited by Klaus-Dieter

Wasn't there a survey on Toys R Us website earlier this year on which theme you would like to see in 2010? Their City layout included a monorail and a train. Does anyone know what the result of that survey was? Maybe that is why there are two new train sets (or a train and a monorail) in 2010 City series?

Wasn't there a survey on Toys R Us website earlier this year on which theme you would like to see in 2010? Their City layout included a monorail and a train. Does anyone know what the result of that survey was? Maybe that is why there are two new train sets (or a train and a monorail) in 2010 City series?

These are separate. That is just a one off special set while these four sets are the Train theme. We will know the winner in two months, but it makes the most sense that the truck stop won.

We have a passenger train, that is flat, and a cargo train like LEGO has been releasing for decades now. No need to over think it.

To me it looks like we are getting a redo of this set...

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=7822-1

And a smaller version of this (just because of the yellow truck)

http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=10128-1

Edited by The Green Brick Giant

What is the hand turning on the passenger set box could it be a transformer know or am I just really hoping too much

Some people never give up...

9V is dead. Get over it. PF on batteries is the future.

No, but those lights do not show up on any of the other boxes for City 2010 sets. Happy to speculate further...

The green grass and blue sky are consistent with the coloring on the box art of the passenger train, leading me to continue to believe the passenger train is elevated. Also looks like a good place to add the train station (just look at how tall that thing is). I don't see any other sets on there with that much grass artwork/background.

However, the "rails" are red, and don't appear to be a standard dual rail setup so I don't know what to make of that. Wish that gal wasn't so strategically located!

Squinting even harder at the high res picture from I Scream Clone here, looks like there is a white support underneath the left side.

Everyone sees what they want to believe and may consider this all wishful thinking on my part, but frankly, I'm not too worked up about the passenger train. Just excited to see new stuff in the train line and question what it all could be. Now let the speculation continue...

Edited by fyparr

Anyone identify what set these lights are from?

A similar light is in the City Corner from this year, the new yellow repair truck coming next year, and I think one other that I can't remember at the moment.

I'd be guessing this is a new set we haven't seen yet. Perhaps its the top of the overpass on the new station. It's hard to tell from the blurry image, but the red could be the hand rails of the overpass, ans the light could be attached to it also.

I really dont think it looks like an elevated railway.

Perhaps its the top of the overpass on the new station.

I think you just nailed it. If you look at the box art of the station you can make out two white poles extending from the top of the overpass, with a blur of red underneath them. Oh well, cargo train is a must buy, just have to keep waiting and hold out some hope on the passenger train.

Anyone identify what set these lights are from?

post-486-1261539180.jpg

Hinckley, this was only being discussed in the City 2010 forum hours before hand, it does appear to be light towers that the train will run between and in front of them is the bridge/signal lights.

Also there I said that the truck that comes with the crossing is more of a crane/digger and doesn't appear to be cherrypicker like sets in the past contained plus it looks to have a plough on the front of it too.

That yellow train is pretty awesome, I'd like to add that to my collection if it is being released as a new set. :cry_happy:

There's still a huge collection of all kinds of trains and stations somewhere in my house. :laugh:

Great find, I hope to see this set in the shops in the future. :thumbup:

I think that this picture is in wrong aspect and everything appears to be too high. Reduce it by 25% vertically and you will see that thing are more life like. Red train is then normal, walkway also...

her nice new pic

bron is for me lowlug

Those pics aren't allowed here on EB because they have the 'confidential' stamp. Please remove them and only provide a link.

BTW: 'bron' is source in English. :wink:

edit:

Having said that: I doubt any of these trains are going to get me into trains. I was expecting a more 'city train'/tram design for the passenger train. The vehicle included with the level crossing is pretty disappointing. The station is fine for a tram station, but it's lacking for a true train station. The cargo train seems to be the most interesting set with a nice engine, plenty of cargo and a nice big red truck.

Edited by Rick