Stash2Sixx

Rogue One movie discussion thread

7 hours ago, quark12000 said:

Why did you pirate it?

I guess cause I couldn't wait and I probably won't be going to the theater. 

1 hour ago, ChiefPie said:

I guess cause I couldn't wait and I probably won't be going to the theater. 

Unless you can't, the struggle is real I know, you should definitely go watch this in theatres!

Edited by Forresto

I really liked the film, I got to see it in 3D of all things last night. Surprised at how well 3D worked, the field of depth it gave in particular to the final battle scenes were outstanding. 

The Easter eggs helped make me giddy for the end. I loved seeing the Juggernaut/Turbo Tank from Episode III being used as a prison transport. The thought of old prison worlds were the Empire sends old AT-TE's and Juggernauts as prison haulers is a great addition to the continuity. 

I loved the Rebels references. I couldn't see Chopper; but I definitely caught the reference to Hera and saw the Ghost a few times in the film. Like many of you here, I couldn't tell if the Ghost escaped Scarrif or not... Hope it did.

Seeing Vader too. Oh my gosh. The final scene especially was awesome. I was so giddy to watch the Rebels escape such a nightmarish Vader; run onto the Tantive IV and deliver the plans. Even weird CGI Leia face was easily ignored by how giddy I was. 

Lastly, I think Rogue One's Easter eggs are proof of something greater. Getting rid of the old canon and placing the story group to helm the franchises direction now means that cartoons-comics-film will now be blended seamlessly. I half expected any moment now we will realize that the old Rebel Soldier in Jedi was Rex, or we'll get an Asohka stand alone film or something like that. The new Canon is making Star Wars both bigger and smaller all at once!

13 hours ago, samuraiturtle said:

It was from a grenade. You see it being tossed in to the shuttle a few seconds before exploding. 

What was the thing the "Troopers" said was getting retired. All I can remember is TK______ something. (I am guessing it is a "hover tank".) 

It sounded like T16

Interesting that the new helmet mould in the U-wing microfighter appeared in the film for all of about 1 second, maybe less. Perhaps it'll show up elsewhere... I also didn't see the helmet design on Lego's U-wing/Y-wing pilot anywhere in the film. And most importantly, at no point in the film were a TIE Striker's wings angled upwards, which is great, because that looks awful on the Lego model, they look much better down.

There seems to be lots of love for the cargo shuttle design, too, which is... look, I dont agree with you. Its awful. If it gets a set, I'm happy for you, but personally I'd rather such a substantial slot be filled with literally anything else from the film. Preferably a hammerhead.

On 12/18/2016 at 9:44 AM, Kevii23 said:
  Hide contents

snip

Well this is very interesting.. 

Are... are his eyes GREEN in that poster!? What!? WHY!? Is Pablo just rubbing it in at this point?

Edited by Magmafrost

I saw the checkered U-Wing/Y-Wing helmet design on one of the Blue Squadron X-Wing pilots during the space battle. The microfighter U-Wing helmet was also there for 2-3 shots as well. Interestingly both pilots in the movie were women unlike the minifigures that they're based on.

I also noticed the microfighter Y-Wing helmet was also on one of the pilots in the background of Yavin IV's hanger.

1 minute ago, wesker said:

I saw the checkered U-Wing/Y-Wing helmet design on one of the Blue Squadron X-Wing pilots during the space battle. The microfighter U-Wing helmet was also there for 2-3 shots as well. Interestingly both pilots in the movie were women unlike the minifigures that they're based on.

I also noticed the microfighter Y-Wing helmet was also on one of the pilots in the background of Yavin IV's hanger.

The blue squadron x-wing helmet wasn't quite the same. It was black and grey, and the squares were smaller. I'm pretty sure it was more than two squares across.

16 hours ago, karmajay said:

It sounded like T16

They were talking about the T-15 being obsolete if I remember correctly, and I've read about it. It's a nod to ANH, where the pilots are talking about the new T-16. 

A similar reference was in TFA, where the troopers on Starkiller base were talking about the new T-17.

I saw the film on Saturday morning, and it was (not?) surprisingly packed--and oh what a stunning film it was! I was admittedly shocked too when the credits started to roll and the theater started clapping, but it was truly a special film I think. The perfect balance of new and old. I loved TFA, which also did that, but this film takes the cake I think. It was utterly intense, gritty, and very unexpected, which is saying a lot considering it runs right into Episode 4.

On more specifics:

Spoiler
  • As a huge Rebels fan, I nearly screeched out loud when "General Syndulla" was named off the intercom! :blush: You can't get that kind of validation (or even a pity glance) from the MCU, so it's a huge plus that Disney is actually interconnecting their films and TV series. Though I missed Cameo-Chopper on my first viewing...still, I'll take any Rebels on the big screen I can get.
  • Tarkin was amazing...I think. I need to see it again. It did feel, visually, a bit off for me--and after catching a well-scheduled showing of A New Hope of TV the next day, I believe now that it was because the CGI Tarkin was too tan in my opinion. He was particularly pale in Ep. 4, so I found his highly detailed appearance rather jarring. I do feel his inclusion was important and well done however, as it was practically a necessity considering the time frame of the movie itself.
  • Krennic was a fine SW villain in my opinion, who I would have preferred to see more of. He was rather petty by Imperial standards, and I liked that he went to complain directly to Vader that Tarkin too his toy. Most importantly, Jyn's dream showed a rather interesting flashback where Galen (in uniform) dined with Krennic, in a more friendly past apparently. Seems to be a lot more to that backstory. Also his death scene was well deserved! 
  • On the Deathtroopers however, I found them useless and nothing more than a "Malibu Stacy with a New Hat" toy-selling scheme. There was no explanation as to why they were different, other than explicitly being stated as Krennic's bodyguards, and considering we never seen them again, their inclusion was strange and unnecessary. The Shoretroopers perhaps even more so: would a typical moviegoer even know who or what they are, or why they are even there? What's the point of a different looking generic trooper when we already have endless Stormtroopers? Lot's of new things for no reasons is what I'm getting at.
  • The Darth Vader slasher ending was spectacular and really sold home the idea that the rebels were fighting for their lives (if you didn't get that from the preceding death ray that is). It's very much more inline with the "modern" form of the character...although it does make you wonder a bit why the following duel with Kenobi lasted so long...and why it was so boring.       

The below quote is in refferance to Dr Evazan and Ponda Baba in Jedha City

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 8:10 PM, Artanis I said:

How did those guys get to Tattooine after that? Think about it.

I'd wager that they were already on the way off world when they encountered Jyn. meaning there was still the battle to fight, and being captured by Saw's guys, and transported by apparent foot to his hide out. a distance that would have taken an average person many hours to complete. giving them plenty of time to load up and jump off world without issue before the order was placed to evac the planet.

4 hours ago, Captain Nemo said:

On more specifics:

Hide contents
  • As a huge Rebels fan, I nearly screeched out loud when "General Syndulla" was named off the intercom! :blush: You can't get that kind of validation (or even a pity glance) from the MCU, so it's a huge plus that Disney is actually interconnecting their films and TV series. Though I missed Cameo-Chopper on my first viewing...still, I'll take any Rebels on the big screen I can get.
  • Krennic was a fine SW villain in my opinion, who I would have preferred to see more of. He was rather petty by Imperial standards, and I liked that he went to complain directly to Vader that Tarkin too his toy. Most importantly, Jyn's dream showed a rather interesting flashback where Galen (in uniform) dined with Krennic, in a more friendly past apparently. Seems to be a lot more to that backstory. Also his death scene was well deserved!    

It is also possible that they call for Cham Syndulla (Hera her father). I think they hint at Hera, but it's a possiblity. It's a Rebels shoutout for sure. 

On the Krennic subject: The novel Catalyst tells the story of Krennic and Galen Erso right before Rogue One. 

Rogue One brought the fan boy out in me to no ends. Yes, I enjoyed the easter eggs (and probably aggravated my lady), but I'm shocked at how much the movie could thrill and exhilarate despite knowing the ending would line up with A New Hope (I think that was clearly mentioned from the beginning of the project). 

There was so much to love about this movie and it finally fleshed out more regarding the Imperial dynamic (court intrigue, Nazi-esque personal politics) and showed the Empire really being brutal, not only to denizens of planets under their rule, but to each other. The ending really illustrated Tarkin's hubris regarding his appointment on the death star.

I'm really hoping for more A New Hope-Return of the Jedi era spin-offs.

2 hours ago, GallardoLU said:

I'd wager that they were already on the way off world when they encountered Jyn. meaning there was still the battle to fight, and being captured by Saw's guys, and transported by apparent foot to his hide out. a distance that would have taken an average person many hours to complete. giving them plenty of time to load up and jump off world without issue before the order was placed to evac the planet.

Yeah, I'd feel better about it if it looked like they were on their way off-world

14 hours ago, Magmafrost said:

The blue squadron x-wing helmet wasn't quite the same. It was black and grey, and the squares were smaller. I'm pretty sure it was more than two squares across.

The helmet in the Y-wing microfighter belongs to a blue squadron X-Wing pilot (Barion Raner). The minifigure skin tone is unfortunately inaccurate.

The helmet in the U-Wing and Y-Wing system set is accurate to the Y-Wing, but the pilot is a Gold Squadron female pilot. 

I highly suggest purchasing the visual guide for Rogue One if any of you are like me and like getting more information on characters, vehicles and props. It shows many of the pilot's helmet designs.

On 12/14/2016 at 9:51 AM, Jedi-Bendu said:

Just got back.

The most 'intense' SW movie to date. I'd almost say visually a masterpiece.

Still, one negative thing (although many would disagree with me on this)

Reveal hidden contents

everybody dies. Depressing, very depressing. I know why they did it....but still.

I'm glad they did it. Star Wars fans can be some of the most downright unrealistic fans ever...the Empire is the most powerful organization in the galaxy at the time. If they seriously cake walked it like they did in the OT I would have walked out. Simple as that.

1 hour ago, Brickweiser said:

The helmet in the Y-wing microfighter belongs to a blue squadron X-Wing pilot (Barion Raner). The minifigure skin tone is unfortunately inaccurate.

The helmet in the U-Wing and Y-Wing system set is accurate to the Y-Wing, but the pilot is a Gold Squadron female pilot. 

I highly suggest purchasing the visual guide for Rogue One if any of you are like me and like getting more information on characters, vehicles and props. It shows many of the pilot's helmet designs.

As I've said before, that pilot's helmet is different to the one used in the U-wing and Y-wing sets. That pilot has grey and black checkers, and I'm pretty sure they're smaller, there are more squares, and they're not tilted 45 degrees.

1 hour ago, Helghan said:

I'm glad they did it. Star Wars fans can be some of the most downright unrealistic fans ever...the Empire is the most powerful organization in the galaxy at the time. If they seriously cake walked it like they did in the OT I would have walked out. Simple as that.

That's true regarding unrealistic expectations. We do have that against us as a core group. I've been seeing a lot of discussion regarding why shore troopers were only seen in Rogue One and never in the OT... hmm ... yes, why were they not on Hoth or stationed on the Death Star? :wacko: 

I figured the movie would end with everyone dying, and mentioned that I wouldn't be surprised if the Death Star blew up the Scariff planet at the end (although that didn't quite happen) to contain the situation. Figured C-3P0 and R2-D2 would cameo in the end though.

What did people think about CGI Tarkin? It's been the main negative critique of Rogue One that I've seen and while I am of the sorts that prefer practical or digital, I was very amazed at the quality of the representation. I'm going to watch it again or twice more to solidify my thoughts on everything.

I thought Tarkin was amazing.  When he first appears, from behind, I thought that was all we were going to get.  Then he turned around and I said, "Whoa".  I had a big smile for the rest of the movie, especially during his scenes. 

He's a favorite of mine. :)

I think CGI-Tarkin worked surprisingly well. I've seen others say it doesn't look 100% authentic, but I think it's by far good enough to make it seem realistic.

3 hours ago, Brickweiser said:

That's true regarding unrealistic expectations. We do have that against us as a core group. I've been seeing a lot of discussion regarding why shore troopers were only seen in Rogue One and never in the OT... hmm ... yes, why were they not on Hoth or stationed on the Death Star? :wacko: 

I figured the movie would end with everyone dying, and mentioned that I wouldn't be surprised if the Death Star blew up the Scariff planet at the end (although that didn't quite happen) to contain the situation. Figured C-3P0 and R2-D2 would cameo in the end though.

What did people think about CGI Tarkin? It's been the main negative critique of Rogue One that I've seen and while I am of the sorts that prefer practical or digital, I was very amazed at the quality of the representation. I'm going to watch it again or twice more to solidify my thoughts on everything.

Tarkin has always remained a soft spot for me. His doctrine of fear over force was actually more humanitarian than anything. Ultimately, his arrogance also served his downfall. I couldn't contain my smile even under all my armor lol. It was a good night for me. A father asked me if I could take a family photo with him and his young sons! Being only 18, that was the highlight of the night besides the movie itself!

The Ghost was part of the Rebel Alliance fleet which engaged Imperial forces in a battle above Scarif as the plans for the Death Star superweapon were stolen through the efforts of Rogue One. (Wookieepedia). It doesn't mention the ship surviving.

Wookieepedia won't mention that because no one knows... except the script writers and Lucasfilm's story team. They have more reason not to tell so that we need to watch Star Wars Rebels. :)

Rogue One is really good. Above expectations as Edwards & Gillroy made the Godzilla crap as well.

1.Empire Strikes Back

2.The Force Awakens

3.Revenge of the Sith/Rogue One

4.A New Hope/Return of the Jedi

5.the Phantom Menace

6.Attack of the Clones

Being 4th is still 95/100 ;)

On the whole, very, very good. The battle at the end was visually stunning and impressive. The end was excellent and I almost jumped out of my seat when I realised corridor the rebel jumped into at then end was from the Tanitive IV.

Vader was good, especially at the end. Its good that they didn't overuse him and only brought him out when necessary.

9 hours ago, horizon said:

Rogue One is really good. Above expectations as Edwards & Gillroy made the Godzilla crap as well.

1.Empire Strikes Back

2.The Force Awakens

3.Revenge of the Sith/Rogue One

4.A New Hope/Return of the Jedi

5.the Phantom Menace

6.Attack of the Clones

Being 4th is still 95/100 ;)

Dear God did you seriously put TFA over the ORIGINAL?