Stash2Sixx

LEGO Star Wars 2017 Pictures and Rumors

Just now, VaderFan2187 said:

Wait... this set is $40?? What?

Why are these 'exclusive' sets always so overpriced?

hqdefault.jpg

The box, the box...

2 minutes ago, hachiroku said:
3 minutes ago, VaderFan2187 said:

-snip-

The box, the box...

From a marketer's point of view, you are paying for the experience, not just the box.

:wacko:

2 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

Check this out! Can't believe it's a star Wars Celebration exclusive and I can't buy it! Looks easily bricklinkable though. Images from http://yakfaceforums.com/main/2017/04/04/star-wars-celebration-exclusive-lego-detention-block-escapeLEGO_CELEBRATION2017_Exclusive.jpg

Also - note the mistake in the actual built set!

I noticed that right away too. Though I think the mistake is on the box as the dark bley plate looks out of place.

2 hours ago, ChristopherLee said:

That's a nice surprise! I wonder how easily you can mod it into 75159.

Interesting idea, but not sure you'd need to integrate them. That detention block playset in 75159/10188 seems fairly complete. The colors are quite different though, the Death Star playset's detention block is black. Still, it would be interesting to see if anyone tries... I see this little playset as something nice for those who couldn't spring for the price of the full size Death Star.

as far as I see, that set is simple, so everyone  can build it on its own and since there is no exclusive minifigure it will not hurt anyone ... to spare those $40 for something better from star wars sets

Edited by DEAD1974

22 hours ago, Stash2Sixx said:

THIS IS NOT A WISH LIST THREAD!  How many times must I tell adults?  Here is your last warning, all of you!

Do not post wish lists, that is not what goes in this thread.

Do not post jokes or fake news in here, that is not what goes in this thread.

My tolerance for crap is now at zero.  If you think I'm kidding, try me.  Not a threat, it's a guarantee.  277 pages of jibberish with little to no substance.

That's it, you have all been warned!

probably should have included p&m'ing about exclusive set prices and every post since yours ... oy vey ...

OT topic, in 2.5 weeks i'm heading to Schaumburg and must go to the mall ... ;-]

46 minutes ago, MKJoshA said:

I noticed that right away too. Though I think the mistake is on the box as the dark bley plate looks out of place.

Lol - that wasn't even the one I meant - in the built set the brick-built lighting at that back is wrong. I hadn't even seem that plate. 

1 hour ago, MKJoshA said:

I'm not usually that bothered about exclusives, but that has a definite appeal, similar to the Space Slug from last year :wub: 

It's just a shame that they don't make them more widely available; it seems far more in keeping with the 40th anniversary than the R2 polybag for May 4th, which seems a bit lack-lustre to be honest.  Perhaps TLG might do a nice VIP offer via the website one day for fans that don't attend conventions, or have LEGO brand stores within less than a 25 mile round-trip!  Fingers-crossed that we'll get something nice and shiny in the autumn, assuming that we do get another UCS set in 2017.... 

5 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

I think you've answered you own question..."exclusive". They could probably charge $100 and it would just make it more 'exclusive' and more desirable to a collector. It will sell for many hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.

7 minutes ago, Markalus said:

I think you've answered you own question..."exclusive". They could probably charge $100 and it would just make it more 'exclusive' and more desirable to a collector. It will sell for many hundreds of dollars on the secondary market.

If they sold it for $100 barely anyone would buy it.

6 hours ago, MKJoshA said:

5 hours ago, Richpepperell said:

Lol - that wasn't even the one I meant - in the built set the brick-built lighting at that back is wrong. I hadn't even seem that plate. 

Saw both. Wasn't sure which one you were referring to! Maybe there is a 3rd...

Nice set (nothing special of course, but it's iconic and a nice small display piece). I can (and will have to) live without it, so good luck to those at the convention who want it. You have to win a raffle in order to buy it? Makes sense but sounds so cheap.:sceptic: "Congratulations! You have won....... an invoice"

7 hours ago, VaderFan2187 said:

This has to do with the venue. Its a convention, conventions are usually overpriced. 

47 minutes ago, doclord said:

Does anyone remember around what time the Rogue One sets leaked?

First Round was Late May / Early June

Edited by thorin

Just now, thorin said:

First Round was Late May / Early June

That's not too bad at all. I hope the trilogy secrecy that was in play with TFA doesn't happen this time around so we can see sets as early as then.

I think people also forget regarding the high price, that it is such a low run production set that they wouldn't be selling thousands upon thousands to recoup costs and make a decent profit. So that, on top of being an exclusive, and being sold where it's being sold, kinda makes sense. 

Additionally, the great thing about it is, anyone that likes the set for the set itself and not the cardboard box it comes in to keep it for resale value, can enjoy bricklinking it as there is nothing really exclusive in the set itself.

It's a perfect event exclusive. Nothing unique, but a nice little build packaged nicely and available for people there to have as an exclusive 'keepsake' set.

I'll probably BL it as it's a nice little diorama.

Everyone's a winner!

Really wish Lego would start making more sets like this! I don't have the death star, so this set is really desirable. Why must it be exclusive????

*looks at parts. I can make this. Looks again. I got no hope. Looks at minifigures - when you only have two storm troopers and they're both different!!!!

Might pick up the death/storm trooper battle pack on sale. Might try to recreate something similar, however I know that my cell block will fall short   :cry_sad:  Oh well, worth a shot!

11 minutes ago, JACKATTACKS said:

Really wish Lego would start making more sets like this! I don't have the death star, so this set is really desirable. Why must it be exclusive????

*looks at parts. I can make this. Looks again. I got no hope. Looks at minifigures - when you only have two storm troopers and they're both different!!!!

Might pick up the death/storm trooper battle pack on sale. Might try to recreate something similar, however I know that my cell block will fall short   :cry_sad:  Oh well, worth a shot!

Dude, someone already recreated it in LDD, check the thread, it looks exactly like this. If you really want it, you can easily bricklink it, probably cheaper than 40 bucks.

There's really not much to this other than a decently designed set piece. 

3 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

I think people also forget regarding the high price, that it is such a low run production set that they wouldn't be selling thousands upon thousands to recoup costs and make a decent profit. So that, on top of being an exclusive, and being sold where it's being sold, kinda makes sense. 

Additionally, the great thing about it is, anyone that likes the set for the set itself and not the cardboard box it comes in to keep it for resale value, can enjoy bricklinking it as there is nothing really exclusive in the set itself.

I don't think there is so much extra cost involved here, since there are no exclusive parts, ike you say it is easily rebuildable by anyone who wants it. A box is not that expensive to produce in a small amount. 

It's this expensive because it's exclusive. 

Edited by brobert

That SWCO exclusive looks so cool and it would really add to my display and collection. Since I can't go to SWCO I probably will have to BL it because it is so good.

10 hours ago, Fuppylodders said:

Recoup costs on a bunch of grey bricks and plates and the same Luke and Han in production for the DS (technically just their heads and hair, as the trooper body and helmet aren't exactly uncommon)?

That $40 price tag is for exclusivity. Not that I have a problem with that. It's a collectible convention exclusive. It won't be in stores and it's not aimed at kids, so what do people expect?

19 hours ago, brobert said:

I don't think there is so much extra cost involved here, since there are no exclusive parts, ike you say it is easily rebuildable by anyone who wants it. A box is not that expensive to produce in a small amount. 

It's this expensive because it's exclusive. 

11 hours ago, bootz said:

Recoup costs on a bunch of grey bricks and plates and the same Luke and Han in production for the DS (technically just their heads and hair, as the trooper body and helmet aren't exactly uncommon)?

That $40 price tag is for exclusivity. Not that I have a problem with that. It's a collectible convention exclusive. It won't be in stores and it's not aimed at kids, so what do people expect?

I didn't say that it's because of the pieces involved. I said there are other costs involved.

The artwork design and planning costs of the box,  the time taken to design and  perfect the set itself and other hidden costs that we don't know about. They don't produce this for free with just the cost of the ink used to print the box and the pieces by themselves... Or do you actually seriously believe that?

As well as the fact I also agreed about the fact it is an exclusive, and the location of where to obtain it. But it is not simply JUST because it is an exclusive...

1 hour ago, Fuppylodders said:

I didn't say that it's because of the pieces involved. I said there are other costs involved.

The artwork design and planning costs of the box,  the time taken to design and  perfect the set itself and other hidden costs that we don't know about. They don't produce this for free with just the cost of the ink used to print the box and the pieces by themselves... Or do you actually seriously believe that?

As well as the fact I also agreed about the fact it is an exclusive, and the location of where to obtain it. But it is not simply JUST because it is an exclusive...

No I don't actually really believe that...but for a company like LEGO the costs of producing this in a run in insignificant next to the power of the Force