Sign in to follow this  
MKJoshA

MEC Category C: The Ring Goes South

This is my entry for the Middle Earth Contest, Category C.

The Ring Goes South

Bilbo had been taking his mid-morning nap when he woke with a start from a dream he had been having. It involved the nine members of the fellowship that had set out from Rivendell some weeks ago. His nephew being among the travelers and the nature of their quest, he was naturally concerned for them. His dream had been so vivid that he had to write it down. After he had written about Frodo and the other travelers fighting their way through the heavy snows of Caradhras, he lay back down for his early afternoon nap.

15441417039_a00332bc7b.jpg

15442466450_5f7289b29f_c.jpg

15605561392_edf01b8c33_c.jpg

15418728767_eb28aed28b_c.jpg

15418617818_6d0be13acf_c.jpg

15602060821_22d72197cb_c.jpg

OoC: Since there is no gray version of Bilbo's hair, I've used the original hair colored piece. Take it as elves practicing dying techniques on Bilbo's hair. I added Bilbo to get this build within the criteria necessary to enter it in category C. I first entered it with the understanding that it was allowed to build anything from Lord of the Rings. I'm not trying to squeeze it through just to see how far I can push the rules. I really just don't want this dis-qualified simply because I misunderstood what was said. I'm not trying to win anything, I just want this build to be enjoyed.

Edited by MKJoshA

I asked about that and I was told that it just has to be something that Bilbo would write about. So, according to that concept, this fits.

It is a very build but I think you misunderstood the Mod. It has to be an adventure of Bilbo's.

It is a shame though as this doesn't lend itself to a set (too dense a build) and cannot be set after The Lord of the Rings.

='ZCerberus

It has to be a chapter from Bilbo's book, but as you can see, you can ADD one. So if you wanted Bilbos adventures post ring, then you are adding a chapter to his book and you are indeed within the rules.

---

I couldn't copy the quote text from the rules thread on my iPhone properly. Sorry.

Edited by Blakstone

Nice build.

The category says a chapter from Bilbo's book(the red book) which gets passed down to Frodo to write about his adventures. When Frodo leaves he gives it to Sam. So this should be able to compete.

I was told by the Mod: "You can make a scene from LotR (book or film) and Frodo can be in it as well. But, Bilbo has to be in it as it´s about Bilbo." (according to this, I didn´t make an entry with my Old Man Willow MOC.

Nice build anyway.

I love this scene. You really know how to create snow. Why not put a bilbo minifigure on top of the mountain and tell us its bilbos dream? Just a little change to make it suitable for category C

I really like this build. The snow technique is perfect. I have been wanting to do a MOC of this scene for quite some time, as I think it is one of the best from the movie to include all 9 members from the fellowship. My one critique is that the icicles above Gimli and the hobbits look too patterned and regular. Otherwise, it all looks very natural.

It is a very build but I think you misunderstood the Mod. It has to be an adventure of Bilbo's.

It is a shame though as this doesn't lend itself to a set (too dense a build) and cannot be set after The Lord of the Rings.

='ZCerberus

It has to be a chapter from Bilbo's book, but as you can see, you can ADD one. So if you wanted Bilbos adventures post ring, then you are adding a chapter to his book and you are indeed within the rules.

---

I couldn't copy the quote text from the rules thread on my iPhone properly. Sorry.

I was told by the Mod: "You can make a scene from LotR (book or film) and Frodo can be in it as well. But, Bilbo has to be in it as it´s about Bilbo." (according to this, I didn´t make an entry with my Old Man Willow MOC.

Nice build anyway.

I love this scene. You really know how to create snow. Why not put a bilbo minifigure on top of the mountain and tell us its bilbos dream? Just a little change to make it suitable for category C

Thank you all for your input and ideas about how to make this work! If it is true that this wouldn't count without Bilbo, then I hope adding Bilbo in bed, dreaming this scene, will be acceptable. I'll wait and see what Ecc says.

Nice build.

The category says a chapter from Bilbo's book(the red book) which gets passed down to Frodo to write about his adventures. When Frodo leaves he gives it to Sam. So this should be able to compete.

I sure hope so!

Very nice snot build!

Thanks!

I really like this build. The snow technique is perfect. I have been wanting to do a MOC of this scene for quite some time, as I think it is one of the best from the movie to include all 9 members from the fellowship. My one critique is that the icicles above Gimli and the hobbits look too patterned and regular. Otherwise, it all looks very natural.

Thanks for your feedback. Any suggestions as to how to make the icicles look less patterned?

Thanks for your feedback. Any suggestions as to how to make the icicles look less patterned?

Just have them at different levels. As it is, they look too lined up--you could draw a straight line from the tops of all three and the line would touch all three tops. Changing the positions of two of them would make a big difference. For example, place the middle one lowest, and the far left one a little higher, positioned as the middle one is now. Hope this made sense!

Awesome!!! I love the snow around the rocks, it looks very realistic. Great job! I have the same question about overhang.

Thank you all for your input and ideas about how to make this work! If it is true that this wouldn't count without Bilbo, then I hope adding Bilbo in bed, dreaming this scene, will be acceptable. I'll wait and see what Ecc says.

Overhang is fine, but I'm afraid you've indeed missed the Bilbo part. The whole category was about him. Maybe you could post it in B: reunion at Caradhras((Or add Bilbo for cat C.)) Just an idea :classic: Because it's a great scene. The fig placement is very good and I'm especially fond of the snotted snow!

Looks very good, one small thing i am missing though: Gandalf is the only one holding something in his hands - more weapons or shields would improve the scene imho.

Just have them at different levels. As it is, they look too lined up--you could draw a straight line from the tops of all three and the line would touch all three tops. Changing the positions of two of them would make a big difference. For example, place the middle one lowest, and the far left one a little higher, positioned as the middle one is now. Hope this made sense!

That kind of makes sense. I'll try it when I modify my build to fit the category.

Awesome!!! I love the snow around the rocks, it looks very realistic. Great job! I have the same question about overhang.

You can see the answer to the overhand question in Ecc's answer below :sweet:

Overhang is fine, but I'm afraid you've indeed missed the Bilbo part. The whole category was about him. Maybe you could post it in B: reunion at Caradhras((Or add Bilbo for cat C.)) Just an idea :classic: Because it's a great scene. The fig placement is very good and I'm especially fond of the snotted snow!

Thanks for clarifying for me. Would it be acceptable for me to have Bilbo dreaming this?

Looks very good, one small thing i am missing though: Gandalf is the only one holding something in his hands - more weapons or shields would improve the scene imho.

I would love to have them all holding things and wearing capes, but then they wouldn't fit in the 16x16 space. I had to sacrifice the extra items to get all 9 members in.

Really "cool" building technique for the snow :wink: And that SNOT rockwork is also well done.

Would be a really good scene for the contest, if Bilbo wasn't missing.

I've modified this so that Bilbo is present :grin:

Really "cool" building technique for the snow :wink: And that SNOT rockwork is also well done.

Would be a really good scene for the contest, if Bilbo wasn't missing.

Oh no, not the puns! Anything but the puns!

Excellent build! The snow and rockwork are very well done.

Thanks Gareth!

Great use of SNOT work!

Thank you Lance!

Great idea and great execution. It's a nice touch that Legolas is walking on top of the snow.

I'm glad you noticed the Legolas detail :grin:

Great snow effects and I like the SNOT rockwork :thumbup: The icicles look good too :classic:

Thanks SK! I almost didn't recognize you with your new avatar. My first though was "who's using SK's minifig in their avatar?", then I realized it was you :laugh:

Counter to Garmadon's GA at A15:

Ante Up

I'm honored to have my post bumped, but I think you meant to post this elsewhere... :grin: