Bonaparte

survey Picture versus Video Reviews

Picture vs Video reviews  

284 members have voted

1. 1. What do you prefer?

• Picture reviews
    • Video reviews
    • No preference

I have to agree with the others, I definitely prefer picture reviews. The only person I know who makes video reviews that I really, really like is Tommy Williamson over at BrickNerd - his videos are very well done, creative, and professionally made. And they're just the right length - the number one mistake people make when they work with video is that they don't use the cutting tool nearly enough. I work in television, so I know what I'm talking about.

That said, I only ever read picture reviews if I'm unsure whether I'm going to buy a set or not. If it's a set I know I'll be buying, I don't want to know too much about it before I build it - it spoils the surprise!

The video shown is quite good, but I actually prefer picture reviews as 1.) I can read them in public w/o headphones,

2.) As mentioned before, there is a lot of detail in pictorial reviews.

I personally like picture reviews. You can scroll easily between the different pictures. And zoom in on a part whenever you want. Sometimes there video reviews of 10, 20 minutes that is way to long. But also more important is the text between the pictures. They explain how a set is build or whatever in more detail mostly then video comment. Call me old-fashioned but I like picture reviews 10 times more then video reviews.

As I usually follow EB on my mobile, I prefer picture reviews (it doesn't suck up my data), but occasionally I will watch a video review...but only after looking through the pictures, if they are intriguing enough.

Also, many video reviews are too long. I don't need to watch the box opened up, or the sorting, or even the building for that matter. Even on my own Flickr account, if I post a video (to demonstrate a function), I post only a 2-3 second clip, accompanied by a written description.

Edited by rodiziorobs

I guess I'll go against the flow, then... *gulp*

I won't say that I prefer video reviews, but simply because many of them aren't done well. And I think that's the issue most people have. I feel like my ideal review would be around five pictures and a short video clip- Minifigs front shot, Minifigs back shot, special/new pieces, and optionally pictures of the building phase, the box, and instructions. Then the video would just show the set itself, namely play features. Combines the better aspects of both for a nice compact review where you can ogle the 'figs or go straight to looking at play features.

Another problem with videos, is that if your connection ever slows, YouTube almost instantly drops the frame-rate down to 144p, which makes the video look not entirely unlike those New York Toy Fair 'Upcoming set' videos - e.g., not exactly the kind of quality you'd want to watch if you were debating whether or not to buy something.

Another issue is that lighting is often rather poor, significantly lowering the quality even more. On a more personal note, it might just be me, but I find that people playing with the mini-figs and making them "speak" can be a bit distracting.

On a positive note, the type of video that you embedded, with good lighting, clean white backgrounds, and a tiny bit of stop-motion to give the set a bit of life, is definitely worth watching! If all video reviews were like that, then I would probably switch to them as my personal preference.

Edited by Lind Whisperer

Both have their merits and flaws. Picture reviews allow the reviewer to highlight new pieces and show the set in various stages of construction, though the full model can sometimes fall flat if the angles are sub par. Video reviews usually do not cover the new pieces that might have been used during construction but show off the model and any play features the set might have. That being said, I like video reviews, though I've been watching Brick Show, Jangbricks, and Brick Queen for a while now. Big fan of the Brick Show as Stephen and Jason have a great Lego sense of humor and they include their families in some of the videos which is great at reinforcing the family friendly nature of Lego.

Both have their merits and flaws. Picture reviews allow the reviewer to highlight new pieces and show the set in various stages of construction, though the full model can sometimes fall flat if the angles are sub par. Video reviews usually do not cover the new pieces that might have been used during construction but show off the model and any play features the set might have. That being said, I like video reviews, though I've been watching Brick Show, Jangbricks, and Brick Queen for a while now. Big fan of the Brick Show as Stephen and Jason have a great Lego sense of humor and they include their families in some of the videos which is great at reinforcing the family friendly nature of Lego.

Certainly not the YouTube reviewers I think of when it comes to Technic...

While video reviews can be well done (like the one mentioned above), I find most to be drawn out and unnecessary.

I prefer pictures because it allows me to scroll right to the parts I want, and skip most of the fluff that i don't care about.

So bottom line, I don't mind if there is a video review AND a picture review, but I will always prefer to have pictures

I really like watching Jangbricks the best. His videos are very professional, generally very short (a 300 piece set doesn't have a 15 min review), and you don't see him fumbling with the set.

Seems like picture reviews are the favorites.

I definitely prefer picture reviews. I like The Brick Show's reviews, but I come here for picture reviews because I can see more details in the photos and most reviewers here do a great job at pointing out interesting parts and stuff that the Brick Show guys are clueless about.

Sounds like I'm also in the minority. I enjoy both, but lean toward video reviews. Sometimes my eyes want to take a break and let my ears do the reading, if you get what I'm saying :P

If I want to get a set for its functionality, such as technic or larger flagship set, I want to see a video with the actual motion, instead of a set of stagnate pictures that usually do a poor job at showing how something works. A great example is the Exo-Suit. Pictures can kind of show it's ability to pose, but seeing a human move it around in real time gets the point across better. (But I was going to buy that set review or not anyway, haha)

As for the argument against videos because its harder to find the point in the video discussing unique parts, while true, perhaps this is simply an issue that needs to be addressed with the reviewers making the videos, rather than a fault of the medium itself. I still have to scroll past the first 10 pictures of some reviews before they even open the bags! It just comes down to really understanding what the person reading or watching the review wants to see. I know thats a tall order, because everyone wants something different. Some people are interested in seeing all angles of the box, flip through the instruction manual front to back, and know the number of bags in the set (commonly happens in both video and pictures). I honestly couldn't care less, so I either scroll past that part of the pictorial review, or scrub past the video review. Neither one has benefits here. The quality of both mediums is mostly dictated by the presentation and format the review decides to use.

As for the work put into them, I am not a reviewer myself, but I would imagine it would be harder to record a well made video than it is to take pictures. Audio doesn't have to be dealt with, and screaming children in the back room cannot be heard with pictures. So for some reviewers it might just not be practical. A few well done ones pop into my mind, Jangbricks and The Brick Show. I thought it was interesting, I tried to show my 6 year old brother some Jangbricks reviews, and he promptly let me know he wanted to watch The Brick Show instead. The only reason is because he likes to see people handling the sets up close. I prefer Jangbricks because of its cleaner look. Two distinct interests that reviewers need to cater to. Remember they are reviewing a kids toy, for kids, as well as adults.

As a picture reviewer myself, I definitely prefer well-done picture reviews even to the best of video reviews because picture reviews allow you to take a look at different aspects of the set at your leisure. If you want to stop and look at the minifigures for a while, or just get to a particular part of the review, it's a heck of a lot easier and cleaner to do that in a picture review. Picture reviews also don't have the problem of people fumbling about.

However, I think the one great thing that video reviews have that picture reviews do not is a sense of scale. On the Brick Show, when they show you a set on a table in a room in front of a person, you really can tell how large it is. In a clean picture review with all-white backgrounds, you can never have the same effect. The reviewer can write that the set feels small or large, but the best way to get that sense of scale is to see it with a person.

Definitely picture reviews. It's easier to scroll to a specific part to check something again or just ski the parts I don't care.

The linked video is from the better ones, unlike many others. I just checked Brick Show and started one review. In the first and last minute you see a talking head, and 10% of the picture shows the set. Bro, no one cares how you look like, I came for the set review!

Video reviews ? Also known as "how to waste 25 minutes on a 900 part set".

I never watch video reviews...

And let's be honnest : everyone knows why people do reviews with Youtube reviews... atom1ck.gif?f-ed=1

Picture review, as a monile user, its easier to read reviews and use less data. Picture review tends to be more detail, a lot of video reviews these day is just about views.

Like most others, I also prefer picture reviews. I can just skip right to the parts I want to see such as the minifigures, or a certain part of the build without having to listen to anyone explain it or worry about them glossing over it in a video review. It seems like there are a lot more details in the picture reviews and I love the highly detailed pics.

I hate video reviews, 75% the people on the video don't have the passion for the review, must of the time they just want their 15minutes of fame in the internetz and even worse half the time I can't stand their voice.

I would actually like an option for 'both if possible', sometimes a set grabs me so much I like to see a 'dynamic' review of it with it being moved around in someone's hands, but for most things pictures are quite sufficient. Also any review longer than three minutes I'm likely not to bother with, unless it's really worth it.

When I do reviews of any kind I want to include as many of the things that I've found interesting in other reviews I've seen. Some of those things take a lot of work. It seems to me that most video reviewers just want to set up a camera, shakily show you the final build and talk unnecessarily - ie do pretty much no work, and just get channel views.

Give the standard price, part & availability info. Set all of the parts out neatly. Pick out the new, interesting or rare parts. Compare this new part/print/minifig with an old one. Show/discuss the artwork. The inventory. Demonstrate the play features. Give a sense of size perspective, show the model from different angles. Show the reverse faces. Go into detail about certain points of interest, but don't ramble. Give a stop motion or time-lapse video of the build. Compare the set to previous or similar versions. Use clean stills/footage, not blurry, shadowy or grainy.

All of those things are possible in a YouTube video, but few are usually included. Add to that the issue of hearing presenters voices & accents, having to look at some ugly mug or his hands, the unending unscripted rambling, the inability to easily (and cheaply) jump from one part to another or stay a while, and you find why I rarely even look at video reviews.

I think the ultimate review would be comprehensive text + photos with an added short video demonstrating play features, 3d & size perspective, and a video to show how the build comes together. Obviously that is a lot of work, and why no one does it. When a high profile set is released early for EB staff to review, they do a very comprehensive job on the text & photo side of things. (Clean photos too!) I think the only improvement would be to add some short videos, and then no one would be saying "pictorial reviews are great, but, video reviews have _____"

I prefer picture reviews, every time. Seeing how much effort people put in them here at Eurobricks and comparing that to "Hi - I've built the newest LEGO set and will now rotate it around with my hands in front of the camera for the next 30 minutes in order to generate clicks and money from Youtube" it's really no question, is it?

Edited by Superfunk

I like Picture reviews better, unless there is some moving stuff in the set, that you can show in the video and not with pictures. If the picture review is good, I don't watch the video review. Sometimes I can't find the picture review and then I watch the video, but only if l can't find the picture review.

I voted for picture review, because most video reviews are too long and so I rather look at some pictures. But Romance14's one is just great, even better than most of the picture reviews, we can clearly see that he put a lot of effort into it. So if all video reviews out there would be like his, I'd totally have to vote for video.